All Things Religion Thread

Balance's picture
Balance started the topic in Sunday, 29 Mar 2020 at 2:13pm

Here you go optimist

Not sure my motivation...my instinctive need to stick up for the underdog...my secret desire to be one day honoured rightfully with the role of Forum moderator (expecting a call any day)...

But anyway I couldn't help but read your troubles on another thread...unfortunately I found myself siding with everyone's posts...other than your own...except for the part where you were told you can't post here!

So I put my low IQ mind to coming up with a solution that suits all...and here it is...a safe place if you like

You can post anything you like about your beliefs...and no one has to read it unless they want! Easy peasy...

maybe you could even get Jesus, fat Buddha, Mohammed, and friends to converse in adult conversation here

Solving the world problems, one at a time...call it taking a shovel as a way of moving that mountain

All the best...brother

PS...I actually was born again once, but I grew up, and grew a brain of my own...and realised it was all a load of shit!

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Thursday, 27 Apr 2023 at 12:19pm

Perhaps Denzel knows something you don’t …yet.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 27 Apr 2023 at 1:00pm
Optimist wrote:

Perhaps Denzel knows something you don’t …yet.

"believes something you don't. He doesn't know.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 27 Apr 2023 at 9:59pm
Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Sunday, 30 Apr 2023 at 6:05am

A nice promise from God…if you go direct…Matthew 7:7-8
Ask and it shall be given unto you, seek and ye shall find, knock and the door shall be opened unto you.
8- For everyone who asks receives and everyone who seeks finds and everyone who knocks, the door shall be opened unto them….Jesus.

JB1's picture
JB1's picture
JB1 Sunday, 30 Apr 2023 at 8:09am

Never trust anyone with imaginary friends.

suchas's picture
suchas's picture
suchas Sunday, 30 Apr 2023 at 8:13am

I asked to get my home loan paid off. What’s the turnaround time?

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Sunday, 30 Apr 2023 at 9:25am

A promise from God is a big deal.

Tens of thousands of Ukrainians and Russians - soldiers, children, mothers, wives - have been doing some serious asking (praying) over the last year but died in battle or indirectly or had loved ones die or be maimed anyway.

Opti, where did they go wrong?

If asking doesn't work when it gets really serious, what is the point of the promise?

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Sunday, 30 Apr 2023 at 9:26am

It's a great quote, used to good effect in shows like Hudsucker Proxy and the Wire, the implication being anyone can passively believe in hollow promises, but only you can make change, and it is entirely up to you to make things happen. Heal thyself.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Sunday, 30 Apr 2023 at 9:24am

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 30 Apr 2023 at 12:26pm

I attended a friend's grandmother's funeral this week. A full bilingual (Italian/English) funeral mass officiated by an old stooped over priest who spoke so beautifully from the heart about the deceased's life and how her selfless giving reflected Jesus' teachings. A true celebration of her catholic faith and Italian culture by and for ordinary folk who want for nothing other than a good family and a good life. It was beautiful.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Sunday, 30 Apr 2023 at 2:26pm

Funerals can be beautiful and incredibly uplifting.

JB1's picture
JB1's picture
JB1 Sunday, 30 Apr 2023 at 4:24pm

We found a body floating in a rockpool at a popular beach... People gathered round and started praying and saying Our Father and Hail Mary and stuff .. so sad, but every cloud has a silver lining, I got three big crayfish off it.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 30 Apr 2023 at 6:15pm

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 30 Apr 2023 at 6:18pm

And a room full of fools raise their hands in praise.

Sprout's picture
Sprout's picture
Sprout Sunday, 30 Apr 2023 at 8:22pm

That dude's fucking scary, a cross between Max Headroom and the Surgeon General from Escape From LA.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Sunday, 30 Apr 2023 at 8:51pm

Those US t.v evangelists are on a whole different level. I can't believe people give them money to fund their private jets, luxury cars and mansions, you know, because God told them they needed those things in order to serve him properly.

Saw this clip recently of a slightly less animated preacher and I seriously thought it was a comedy sketch. Apparently, it's not.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Monday, 1 May 2023 at 5:09am

Ha Ha , Kenneth Copeland scares me too. There are some odd characters in the U.S.
I do however like David Jeremiah as a telly preacher from the U.S. and also the very sharply dressed Joseph Prince from Singapore. Both worth a watch I reckon.
Tube shooters strange and funny video had an interesting statement by Charles Darwin. Also, Since they cracked the DNA coding system, many scientists have changed their minds and believe in a master creator and designer.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Monday, 1 May 2023 at 6:08am

I remember many years ago you couldn't turn on the telly in the wee hours of the morning without copping an earful of US tv evangelists. That with the "Call me now, I'm in the hot tub waiting for you" phone sex adds.
Joyce Meyer still gives me nightmares.

The good old days..

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Monday, 1 May 2023 at 9:10am

Evangelists. So many words, so much convoluted talk, so much repetition, so much effort to convince others (and themselves).

Why? Truth should be simple and convincing. Say something once, why say it again?

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Monday, 1 May 2023 at 9:40am

Bit dubious of any 'truth' frog, as I reckon you are. Remember back in the 20th C, pre phones/socials/silos-of-opinion, when we couldn’t give a rat’s arse what a person identified as, so long as they were cool, and life was exploring without wanting answers.. watching shows like Twin Peaks and Northern Exposure that drew out attention to how exquisite and ‘excruciatingly interesting’ it all is:

Never lose the wonder, Optimist ; )

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Monday, 1 May 2023 at 9:57am

that banana thing is staggeringly hilarious tubeshooter!
(has that gorgeous self-satisfied tone that 6 year-olds have when they explain how the world works)

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Tuesday, 2 May 2023 at 8:01am

After carefully constructing the banana to fit in the human hand the Lord went a bit crazy and made this creature and other deep sea oddities for our benefit - perhaps his plan was to one day have this oddity go on a video sharing platform to finally convince non believers in the perfection of his creations:

We thank him muchly.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 3 May 2023 at 5:22pm
seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 5 May 2023 at 10:43pm

Modern times? Religion vs logic. Seems it’s religion’s problem from this point on.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Saturday, 6 May 2023 at 3:08pm

From bananas, to deep sea oddities…
- from accusations of satanism to wild sci fi wormhole fantasies and parables of men and parachutes ;)

Everyone loves a good story…

Optimist wrote:
‘Parable of the 4 men.
Four men were booked on a one way flight in a small plane.
It was a long journey and all along the way people were offering them parachutes for free.
The four men would arrogantly laugh at the offers of a free parachute and even abuse the people trying to give them one.
We will be right they would yell, we are not carrying that bloody thing and planes never crash anyway so F off.
They boarded their flight and the plane reached 10,000 feet.
What they didn’t realise is that death was the pilot and he opened the passenger cabin door.
He made the men to sit on the edge with their legs dangling in the open air staring down into the dark cloudy void.
Time to jump death said, this is as far as you go.
The four men stared down into the void and were terrified,
We don’t want to jump without a parachute they all cried.
Too late said death, there are no parachutes on this plane and my friend Life asked lots of different people many times over to give you a free parachute and you all abused them.
It was time , death tilted the plane and the four men dropped into the abyss …
….with no parachute.’

- How’d u leave out the bit about the broken leg and the bear - let alone the significance of how god represents death and rebirth and the possibility of survival beyond all conceivable odds in a harsh environment surrounded by arid terrain whilst challenged with such acute adversity like intestinal wounds that remind you of spaghetti dinner !

;););)

https://m.

&pp=ygUET2ZmIQ%3D%3D

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Saturday, 6 May 2023 at 5:35pm

Ben Hur is currently on 7 Flix….watched it so many times and still …wow!

old-dog's picture
old-dog's picture
old-dog Saturday, 6 May 2023 at 6:11pm

It's about time they made a new biblical movie using all today's special effects, my wife isn't overly religious but absolutely loves all the biblical movies. Must have seen the 10 commandments 100 times. She pulls them all out every Easter. Funny how when I was young being a Christian was seen as a really good thing healthy thing. These days the loony left has turned it into a disgusting, shameful thing only for racists and bigots. Probably explains why so many people are such narcissistic arseholes these days.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Saturday, 6 May 2023 at 7:57pm

I think Australia is pretty tolerant of people old-dog - compared with other places I have been, anyway. We could certainly become more so, and it will be forever a challenge. A large part of current religious intolerance comes as a reaction to current religious zealotry; Australia used to aspire to be a bit more live-and-let-live, but the louder and more insistent people have become with their life-choices, religion or politics, the more there is a reaction by others telling them to shut up, as I'm sure your wife would find, were she to go door-to-door preaching the gospel. With evangelical Christianity becoming the norm in the Jesus arena, it is no surprise life has felt more awkward for 'traditional' Christians, who no-doubt feel hurt and vilified by reactions-to-zealotry and resulting debates with an absolutely fed-up secular population. A proclivity for Bible verse certainly doesn't make a person less narcissistic or arseholey.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Sunday, 7 May 2023 at 5:46am

It’s actually quite the opposite. Modern Christians have a very live and let live your free choice mentality.
We preach the gospel and teach those interested and leave it there.
There is free choice in life but it’s our job to show what we believe to be Gods point of view. Yes it’s our job and a requirement. God tells us to use the platforms available whether that be church ,home, street ,school, friends or swellnet etc.
The difference these days is that many people are aware of of biblical teaching and react to it more aggressively if it confronts their current lifestyle choices.
There is no need for this, because if you don’t believe it then you can simply disregard it as rubbish ( as many do to me here and I’m OK with it) and leave people to believe what they want “ to each their own”.
A classic example of this is that biblically God says homosexuality is a bad idea. Don’t do it.
Gays think homosexuality is a good idea go for it.
So, different opinions expressed.
That’s where it should end.
Bible followers leave the gays alone and gays leave the bible followers alone “ to each their own”. Make your point then leave it there….free speech..not hate speech.
But, it’s not happening. Now a very powerful gay lobby is after the Christian schools etc. “ You have to believe what we believe or else we will come after you”.
That is not the Australia our Anzac fathers fought for.
There are many examples in this modern world of the louder gaining momentum over the quieter people as you’re all well aware of.
Politicians these days seem cowardly and bow easily to lobby groups rather than have a personal stand on issues. Nobility and courage in leaders is dying.
Speak your case if you truly believe it and then leave people alone to decide.
This is the only way that true freedom can survive the modern world.
Aggression has no place….peaceful conversation and respect for beliefs does.

In Ben Hur last night right near the end something really affected me ….
Ben was watching Jesus on the cross dying and Christ said…
“Father forgive them, for they don’t know what they are doing”….Ben then said ….
…And I felt His voice take the sword out of my hand…..

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Sunday, 7 May 2023 at 7:20am
tubeshooter wrote:

Those US t.v evangelists are on a whole different level. I can't believe people give them money to fund their private jets, luxury cars and mansions, you know, because God told them they needed those things in order to serve him properly.

Saw this clip recently of a slightly less animated preacher and I seriously thought it was a comedy sketch. Apparently, it's not.

So what's the story with Durian then... ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

silentp's picture
silentp's picture
silentp Sunday, 7 May 2023 at 11:17am

Optimist, please enlighten me, why would God create animals and humans that are homosexual if he doesn't like the practise?

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Sunday, 7 May 2023 at 11:24am

Haha flopti…

‘…And I felt his voice take the sword out of my hand…..’

- sure it wasn’t a banana ? ;)

The thing about beliefs (and stories… and storytelling…) is that they mostly aren’t real - and no one actually has to respect them.

Beliefs aren’t necessarily bad, they are just rooted in fantasy. There is no factual basis to them, they exist separate to reality ;)

Belief can only be invented, it is a creation of the imagination… a formulation… and a convoluted assumption ;)

- the foundation, or ‘truth of the matter’, is open to exaggeration and embellishments.

This is a natural embodiment of the preacher child ;)

- Here is a great example…
Notice how the storyteller has a wild and imaginative version of events.
Yet, in reality, what actually takes place is very different ;)

Unbelievable !

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Sunday, 7 May 2023 at 11:45am
silentp wrote:

Optimist, please enlighten me, why would God create animals and humans that are homosexual if he doesn't like the practise?

silentp's picture
silentp's picture
silentp Sunday, 7 May 2023 at 12:43pm

haha nah, no traps here, serious question

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 7 May 2023 at 2:01pm
silentp wrote:

haha nah, no traps here, serious question

Off course Floptimist goes silent…he is only good at parroting off learnt replies…anything that requires thinking is ignored. Religion only flourishes when believers don’t think for themselves. A free thinking Christian quickly becomes agnostic or atheist.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Wednesday, 10 May 2023 at 3:05pm

;););)

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Wednesday, 17 May 2023 at 3:16pm

Maybe 65,000 words in the bible is overthinking by about 64,980
Traditional tribal views are simpler:
Happiness = Meat, water, honey
When you die, they put the body goes in the cave and the spirit to heaven, but they are not sure about that the heaven bit...

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 4:58am

Wow great vid Frog.Wonder how long it took that western bloke to learn that language. Pretty great shot by one hunter at 7:52.
Awesome clip.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 1:36pm

Simple contentment radiated from them.

And sadly, they would be prime targets for Missionaries to prick the contentedness of their tribal bubble to teach them all about sin, guilt, the devil, a bit more on sin and to focus not on the joys of the day at hand but on some future when they are dead and maybe in heaven.

Whatyahreckon Opti - serious question, would you leave that tribe in peace if you got near them or would you stick the book in their hand, teach them hymns, devil stuff, guilt about their sin etc. to "save" them?

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Sunday, 21 May 2023 at 6:48am

Unlike you frog, if I shared with those people the love of God and the certainty of heaven for them while they maintained the best and innocent parts of their chosen hunter lifestyle , I’ll guarantee they would receive it gladly.
Because it’s a simple thing and the less complicated a people are, the easier it is to as Jesus said “ become as a child” and understand what God is giving
you…..freedom from darkness, peace in your soul and a certainty to see Him in heaven after death.
Consider those words the next time you attend a funeral.

“If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world ,but I chose you out of the world, the world hates you.”..Jesus

And….” If the world hates you, know that it hated me first…Jesus.

suchas's picture
suchas's picture
suchas Sunday, 21 May 2023 at 8:23am
AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 21 May 2023 at 12:45pm

As long as you repent it’s a free for all.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Monday, 22 May 2023 at 8:07am

Imagine if Hitler did a last minute repent... Heaven would be a bit awkward with him wandering around trying to strike up a conversation with other souls and past victims. But that is the deal. Repent and all is forgiven and into heaven you come. Perhaps all the last minute repenting mass murderers hang out in one corner and discuss old times?

Heaven is a weird concept once you think about it beyond the fairy tale version.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 22 May 2023 at 11:45am

Had a conversation with a young (circa 20 year old) Christian lady the other day.
I just asked the broad, boring question - what do you want to get out of life?
She said she wanted to have a family and go to heaven.
I ignored all the obvious questions I could have followed up with (like, you're going to spend potentially the next 70 or so years of your life preparing for heaven?) and focused on what it takes to get into heaven.
What if you're Christian but you murder someone?
You can repent.
What if you're Christian and you've ripped people off, stolen, been dishonest?
You just need to repent.
If that's really the Christian way of doing things, well it sounds pretty shit.
And if those are the sort of people who are going to be in heaven, I'd rather be somewhere else.

Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone Monday, 22 May 2023 at 12:45pm

1st post here. Question - Do you think science has the potential to disprove religion? If so, when you think they’ll have the required evidence?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 22 May 2023 at 1:19pm

Ideology and belief require no evidence so I see it as a moot point.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 22 May 2023 at 2:14pm
AndyM wrote:

Ideology and belief require no evidence so I see it as a moot point.

The (un) holy trinity ideology, belief and faith

IMG-0992

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Monday, 22 May 2023 at 3:24pm
Nick Bone wrote:

1st post here. Question - Do you think science has the potential to disprove religion? If so, when you think they’ll have the required evidence?

You’re getting confused. Science doesn’t work like that. The burden of proof is with those making the claims.

Also, religion is 100% real. However the claim made by followers is where the BS is exposed and evidence is non existent.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Monday, 22 May 2023 at 5:24pm

I see you boys have been busy….if you just ask God the question in Jesus name..….deep down from your heart….He will respond….if your fair dinkum that is….then, a leap of faith becomes a very real reality once the chief gets involved in your life.
For those who go for it…Enjoy the ride!