All Things Religion Thread

Balance's picture
Balance started the topic in Sunday, 29 Mar 2020 at 2:13pm

Here you go optimist

Not sure my motivation...my instinctive need to stick up for the underdog...my secret desire to be one day honoured rightfully with the role of Forum moderator (expecting a call any day)...

But anyway I couldn't help but read your troubles on another thread...unfortunately I found myself siding with everyone's posts...other than your own...except for the part where you were told you can't post here!

So I put my low IQ mind to coming up with a solution that suits all...and here it is...a safe place if you like

You can post anything you like about your beliefs...and no one has to read it unless they want! Easy peasy...

maybe you could even get Jesus, fat Buddha, Mohammed, and friends to converse in adult conversation here

Solving the world problems, one at a time...call it taking a shovel as a way of moving that mountain

All the best...brother

PS...I actually was born again once, but I grew up, and grew a brain of my own...and realised it was all a load of shit!

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 10 Mar 2024 at 2:58pm

@indo , I was assuming your wife is catholic as you have mentioned she is Christian before and I thought maybe you did some church services or something.

gsco mkII's picture
gsco mkII's picture
gsco mkII Sunday, 10 Mar 2024 at 3:24pm

Is Josh Frydenberg also a "vile tool" with a "white hood pulled over his head with only cut outs for the eyes and mouth"?

It’s in Australia’s interest for Hamas to be decisively defeated

Frydenberg wrote:

Palestinian self-determination, lasting Middle East peace, and a more stable world are threatened by Hamas’ goal of destroying Israel.

Kibbutz Be’eri in Israel’s south is one big crime scene. A paradise turned into hell.

As drones buzzed overhead and artillery shells thundered in the distance we walked past one burnt home after another. Signs of Hamas’ barbarism were everywhere. In that community alone, more than 100 civilians were slaughtered on October 7 including Australian citizen and grandmother Galit Carbone. A number of other kibbutz members are still being held hostage in what we know are the most inhumane conditions imaginable.

Seeing the kibbutz myself and listening to the stories of survivors including many who had dedicated their lives to building ties with their Palestinian neighbours brought home the enormity of what happened that day and the dangers that now confront us all.

It is a visit I would encourage our prime minister, Anthony Albanese, to also make. This is no photo op. But rather an opportunity, like after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, to express solidarity with a fellow democracy in its hour of need and demonstrate the moral courage that this pivotal moment in history requires.

Just think what would happen if it were us in Australia who were subject to a terrorist attack the size of October 7. In proportion to our population, Australia would be responding to nearly 4000 dead and 1000 taken hostage.

We would – and the Australian public would expect us to – use all means at our disposal to end the rocket fire, dismantle the terrorist entity on our border and return the hostages to their families. We would want every one of our friends standing by our side, just as Israel does today.

We need to understand the events of October 7 have local, regional and global ramifications that extend well beyond the Gaza Strip. Should Israel not achieve a decisive victory and restore its own security, dangerous consequences will follow.

As the conflict continues, the focus will rightly be on ensuring the hostages are returned, aid delivered and civilians protected.

As former Labor prime minister Bob Hawke once said, “If the bell tolls for Israel, it won’t just toll for Israel, it will toll for all mankind.” Should Hamas remain in control of even a part of Gaza, the possibility of achieving a two-state solution in the near term will all but disappear.

Hamas’ intentions are clear. Their stated objective is to achieve the destruction of Israel. To state the blindingly obvious, this leaves no room for negotiation or compromise.

Hamas may have launched its jihad attack under the false flag of freedom, but in reality what it has achieved is the opposite of that. It has damaged the Palestinian cause and its legitimate claim for self-determination. Israel’s war is with Hamas, not the Palestinian people who are now suffering greatly as a result of Hamas’ terrorist attack.

At a regional level, Hamas’ survival would also embolden its sponsor, Iran, and send a message to other proxies in the region that terrorism pays.
It would guarantee that the Houthis and Hezbollah would continue with their provocations – provocations that have already seen more than 10 per cent of the world’s seaborne trade which passes through the Red Sea disrupted and the prospect of an all-out war in Lebanon become more likely.
The momentum of the Abraham accords, which have already brought so much hope and promise to the region, will be dealt a severe blow.

The alignment between Israel and its Muslim neighbours stems in part from a common interest in countering the nefarious influence of Iran.
A weakened Israel will have less chance of encouraging Saudi Arabia to normalise ties and the follow the path paved by the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Morocco and Sudan.

At a global level, anything less than a crushing defeat for Hamas will strengthen the hand of those, including Vladimir Putin’s Russia, who are aggressively seeking to undermine the US-led global order. An international order that has delivered stability and prosperity for close to 80 years, benefiting many including Australia.

We need America to remain strong so that it can provide the leadership and resources we need in our part of the world. As the conflict in Gaza continues into its sixth month the focus will rightly be on ensuring the hostages are returned, humanitarian aid delivered and civilians protected.

But in doing so we must not lose sight of the need for Hamas to be comprehensively defeated. If we don’t support the advancement of this critical strategic objective, our national interest will be harmed.

Most Australians would never have heard of Kibbutz Be’eri as it is thousands of kilometres from our shores. But Israel’s ability to respond effectively to the atrocities committed there on October 7 very much matters to us here at home.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 10 Mar 2024 at 4:00pm
Supafreak wrote:

@indo , I was assuming your wife is catholic as you have mentioned she is Christian before and I thought maybe you did some church services or something.

Yeah she is catholic and when i met her she and the family did go to church, i even went to church with them in Java which was quite an experience because she lived in Solo where many of the Bali bombers were from she actually only lived a few kilometres from where they had some radical school, anyway the church entry was guarded by two TNI soldiers with from memory machine guns.(or some crazy looking guns)

I remember thinking, okay this shit is real, wasn't that long after the Bali bombings.

I think she went to church a couple of times in Australia around Christmas when first in Australia but she doesn't go anymore and is barely religious anymore and even critical of more full on Christians even Catholics, thinking about it, i kind of feel a tad guilty, cause i guess its my fault, i never dissed her religion or belief's if she wanted to go to church that was fine, but I also really didnt want to go along with her and support her, if you have ever been to church you will know its as boring as can be and i cant fake that shit.

I think theres a difference between respecting someones right to believe and then just being critical of religions though.

I respect peoples right to believe in what they will as long as you dont try to convert me or impose your belief's on me, but i also dont feel religion should be free from criticism, but of course its all about the time and place like here i see it as being fine to diss religion be it Islam or Christianity or whatever, but that doesn't mean I feel a need to make my views known to any Christians or muslims faces, more just out of respect and i think it's also kind of pointless, i have no desire to turn people to atheism or lose their faith or whatever..

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 10 Mar 2024 at 5:30pm

Not triggered just speechless at the way you think.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 10 Mar 2024 at 6:04pm

I dont want to derail this thread, so my reply can be found here.
https://www.swellnet.com/forums/politico/571321?page=99#comment-952755

BTW. That's pretty funny coming from someone, who doesn't understand the basic concept of why believer's in most religion's think their religion is the only way to a better after life and their god the only real god.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 10 Mar 2024 at 6:06pm
GuySmiley wrote:

Not triggered just speechless at the way you think.

And as I have asked many times before stop misrepresenting my position on religious belief. What I have repeatedly criticised is extremist belief no matter what creed as illustrated on both sides of the current ME conflict. Ordinary folk of all religious backgrounds who go about with their lives in a peaceful manner are to be admired/encouraged if their religion gives them some happiness or comfort

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 10 Mar 2024 at 6:06pm

Nah dude you only criticise Christianity or Judaism, you dont have balls to criticise islam.

That's the problem with you people, you have a double standard.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 10 Mar 2024 at 9:36pm

…. and what gives you happiness @info? You present yourself as a person of no or little generosity of spirit it’s hard to believe that you are ever truly happy.

Kook-Man2001's picture
Kook-Man2001's picture
Kook-Man2001 Tuesday, 12 Mar 2024 at 10:38am

"As the conflict continues, the focus will rightly be on ensuring the hostages are returned, aid delivered and civilians protected."

"As the conflict in Gaza continues into its sixth month the focus will rightly be on ensuring the hostages are returned, humanitarian aid delivered and civilians protected."

Josh, mate...that ship has sailed. Aid has not been delivered and civilians have not been protected. Or is he only referring to Israeli civilians?

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Tuesday, 12 Mar 2024 at 9:00pm

Its Hamas not Israel and their supporters that are preventing the delivery of aid by hijacking aid trucks and shooting at civilians trying to receive aid.

https://www.wfp.org/news/un-food-agency-pauses-deliveries-north-gaza
https://www.jpost.com/israel-hamas-war/article-790422
https://www.egypttoday.com/Article/1/130816/Photos-Egypt-UAE-conduct-ano...

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Tuesday, 12 Mar 2024 at 11:28pm

Wasn’t it the IDF that mowed about 100 starving shell shocked palistinians down trying to get to the aid last week Bonza?
https://www.bing.com/fd/ls/GLinkPing.aspx?IG=10D4025018394B7FA08B7F995C4...

Or Israeli settlers blocking aid?
https://edition.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/israel-hamas-war-gaza-news-... https://edition.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/israel-hamas-war-gaza-news-...

Or the horse shit claims that the UNWRA was corrupt that stopped funding.

But I guess it’s all the fault of Hamas. Geez!?

Kook-Man2001's picture
Kook-Man2001's picture
Kook-Man2001 Wednesday, 13 Mar 2024 at 10:00am

"But using starvation as a bargaining chip — particularly at this crucial stage of ceasefire negotiations between Hamas and Israel — is openly discussed in Israel.

"The civilian situation in the northern Gaza is a significant card in the negotiations with Hamas for the return of the hostages, and Israel is not willing to give it away for free," military affairs commentator Yossi Yehoshua wrote in Israel's biggest daily newspaper, Yedioth Ahronoth, on March 3.

"Although, it's a drop in the ocean, Jerusalem and the Kirya [Israeli military headquarters] prefer to see pictures of food airdrops on the screens of news in the US rather than pictures of starving children ... Humanitarian aid is not a consolation prize or to look good, but rather a strategic need with the aim of achieving the war goals."

In the early weeks of the war, the former head of Israel's national security council, Major-General Giora Eiland, proposed that Israel create terrible conditions inside Gaza as a negotiating tool to secure the release of hostages.

"If we ever want to see the hostages alive, the only way is to create a severe humanitarian crisis in Gaza," he told the Israeli news site Globes on October 8, the day after the Hamas terrorist attacks which triggered the Israeli offensive.

"When international institutions shout about a humanitarian crisis in Gaza and bodies are piling up in the hospital and they cannot treat them, we will reply, 'We have no problem solving the real problems of Gaza, but give us back our prisoners first'."

Israel did initially close all crossings and cut off water and electricity in the early weeks of the war."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-06/gaza-us-aid-drop-bread-bombs-isra...

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Wednesday, 13 Mar 2024 at 10:54am

Your in the wrong thread Kook man…you want the Israel Palestine thread.

Kook-Man2001's picture
Kook-Man2001's picture
Kook-Man2001 Wednesday, 13 Mar 2024 at 12:19pm
Optimist wrote:

Your in the wrong thread Kook man…you want the Israel Palestine thread.

Yep, fair call.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Wednesday, 13 Mar 2024 at 1:22pm

Don’t worry Kooky
Optimist thinks this is his private scatting ground. Especially early on a Sunday.
A few tangents here and there won’t hurt his god.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Wednesday, 13 Mar 2024 at 4:41pm

60% of the entire words population believe in God or acknowledge a higher spirit power over everything.
2.5 billion Christian people believe the same things as me.
Half a billion people are watching “ the chosen” right now.
So this is not my private thread…billions are all welcome to chat.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 13 Mar 2024 at 4:49pm
Optimist wrote:

60% of the entire words population believe in God or acknowledge a higher spirit power over everything.

2.5 billion huh?
Well the song Gangnam style has had 5 BILLION views on utube.
Doesnt make it a good song. Just means the world is full of idiots.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Wednesday, 13 Mar 2024 at 5:04pm

Chuckle chuckle

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Wednesday, 13 Mar 2024 at 5:10pm

Well sheepy that makes you the other percentage and that’s fine.
I don’t consider you a idiot for what you believe.
Hopefully your not one of the 5 billion that have watched that clip.
That would be a waste of seconds of life.

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Wednesday, 13 Mar 2024 at 5:40pm
Sheepdog wrote:
Optimist wrote:

2.5 billion huh?
Well the song Gangnam style has had 5 BILLION views on utube.
Doesnt make it a good song. Just means the world is full of idiots.

very poor attempt at comparison there

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Wednesday, 13 Mar 2024 at 8:47pm

100% of beliefs are 100% legit to ummm, 100% of believers ;);)
- all things religion

Nothin suss ;)

https://m.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 13 Mar 2024 at 10:19pm

“ … 2.5 billion Christian people believe the same things as me.…”

No they don’t, you’re out on the extreme ratbag fringe opti, as represented by your own words.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Thursday, 14 Mar 2024 at 5:57am

Ahh guy frowny….yes it’s true I’m “all in “ on this and if you had experienced what I have over many years you would be too…
That is the power of experience….
It’s undeniable….
My deep thoughts shared here sometimes would seem extreme to many but the universe is an extreme place full of Gods mysteries.
And they are just that…thoughts.
I also understand that you and your communist friends at trades hall have difficulty believing in a higher authority as your sect always need to take matters into their own hands.
This is also why the worlds rich new world marxists think they can fix everything on our behalf
Hopefully one day you will see it, and put all that zeal toward Gods plan for man…
Christ, the visible image of the invisible God will sort everything out on the right day , so you do not need to try and control everything.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Thursday, 14 Mar 2024 at 11:32am

- sun of gawd?

;)

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Thursday, 14 Mar 2024 at 11:35am

And on the 5th day

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 14 Mar 2024 at 7:04pm
Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Sunday, 17 Mar 2024 at 5:45am

God can provide for you.
It’s easy to be stressed in our modern and demanding world.
Simplicity seems to have vanished from life and the so called tech breakthroughs and resetting of values constantly offered are promised by all to make life better.
Most people no longer agree.
A home to live in, life’s most basic thing, is no longer a priority from Govts and living costs are left to corporations to govern.
It can be overwhelming but take heart….give your situation to God and ask him to organise everything for you.
Having a manager at His level is a comforting arrangement to have and if you truly trust Him to figure it all out for you the outcome is assured.
He loves you and wants the best for his children but He likes us to trust Him.
But also be generous yourself….
I was just reading about the young boy who offered Jesus his lunch to help feed people…..he had 5 barley loaves and 2 fish.
The only problem with that is that there was 5,000 of them to feed.
Jesus turned that kids lunch into one of the greatest events in history.
He will provide everything you need but maybe not always what you want.
There is a difference.
A nice humble home somewhere if you don’t have one and good food to eat.
An interesting job and a family or friends who care about you.
Let’s not forget a decent board….very important.
All these things will be yours …..just ask.”
“ Ask and it will be given you….seek and ye will find…knock and the door shall be opened unto you”….Jesus.
Nice thing to know that God is on your team….if you want Him to be………have a blessed week.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Sunday, 17 Mar 2024 at 11:04am

Opti, seriously champ. re-read what you have just said.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Sunday, 17 Mar 2024 at 11:06am

God loves all her children. Especially the gay ones.

suchas's picture
suchas's picture
suchas Sunday, 17 Mar 2024 at 5:30pm

You should be dancin, yeah___

Optimist wrote:

God can provide for you.
It’s easy to be stressed in our modern and demanding world.
Simplicity seems to have vanished from life and the so called tech breakthroughs and resetting of values constantly offered are promised by all to make life better.
Most people no longer agree.
A home to live in, life’s most basic thing, is no longer a priority from Govts and living costs are left to corporations to govern.
It can be overwhelming but take heart….give your situation to God and ask him to organise everything for you.
Having a manager at His level is a comforting arrangement to have and if you truly trust Him to figure it all out for you the outcome is assured.
He loves you and wants the best for his children but He likes us to trust Him.
But also be generous yourself….
I was just reading about the young boy who offered Jesus his lunch to help feed people…..he had 5 barley loaves and 2 fish.
He will provide everything you need but maybe not always what you want.
There is a difference.
A nice humble home somewhere if you don’t have one and good food to eat.
An interesting job and a family or friends who care about you.
Let’s not forget a decent board….very important.
All these things will be yours …..just ask.”
“ Ask and it will be given you….seek and ye will find…knock and the door shall be opened unto you”….Jesus.
Nice thing to know that God is on your team….if you want Him to be………have a blessed week.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 17 Mar 2024 at 8:06pm

Ha that was a cool little prank.
One of the signs (amongst some pretty vile others) “Free will is a satanic life”

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 17 Mar 2024 at 9:13pm

I love all that Westboro baptist church shit (or cults in general), i remember watching the Louis Theroux episode and it featured one of the daughters megan phelps roper and then years latter she left the church and completely changed her views, the full episode of her with Joe Rogan is an great listen shes acrually a really smart strong women.

Both full episodes are worth hunting down, some tasters

&t=5s

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 18 Mar 2024 at 8:21am

It’s written in the bible so …..

In my name shall they cast out devils, they shall speak with new tongues, they shall take up serpents, and if they drink any deadly thing it shall not hurt them. They shall lay hands on the sick and they shall recover.”

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Monday, 18 Mar 2024 at 9:41am

Matthew ch 4. Verses 6-7

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 18 Mar 2024 at 10:03am

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Monday, 18 Mar 2024 at 1:07pm
Optimist wrote:

Foodbank should get Jesus on board.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 18 Mar 2024 at 1:27pm

' one of the greatest events in history ' hahaha

- that is, until the creation of the deep fried spaghetti sandwich

Pastafarians rejoice!

;)

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 18 Mar 2024 at 1:28pm

;);)

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Monday, 18 Mar 2024 at 1:33pm

Jesus can't even stop pedos in his own home.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 18 Mar 2024 at 1:47pm

moving things off the homepage...

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Monday, 18 Mar 2024 at 3:58pm

The big fella does feature in a lot of good music though

?si=3-d10lB_p1Gjg9jp
?si=mrxAmN7TWoBZ9zKN
?si=5-IHCvj7HysNW3AA

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Monday, 18 Mar 2024 at 5:56pm

Funny how tough everyone is until……..

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 18 Mar 2024 at 6:01pm

Plenty of songs taking the piss out of Jesus, but not many taking the piss out of Muhammad, we all know why.

Two more

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Monday, 18 Mar 2024 at 6:38pm

I get what you say re not-picking-on Islam @indo, but it is simply a matter of form. We are not an Islamic country.. it'd have the effect of a men's-club picking on women. Maybe as we invite more muslims to join our little flock here in Aus, that will change and Mohammad will get a good roasting from all, like old mate Jesus.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 18 Mar 2024 at 7:11pm

;)

- until……..

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 18 Mar 2024 at 7:50pm
basesix wrote:

I get what you say re not-picking-on Islam @indo, but it is simply a matter of form. We are not an Islamic country.. it'd have the effect of a men's-club picking on women. Maybe as we invite more muslims to join our little flock here in Aus, that will change and Mohammad will get a good roasting from all, like old mate Jesus.

Yeah sure there is a degree of that factor, but there is also a taboo aspect, and these days a fear of being labeled Islamphobic, there is no fear of being Christianphobic the word doesn't even really exist, there use to also be a fear of being Antisemitic but that fear has definitely gone now with the horseshoe effect in full swing.

But the big one is a very real fear for one's own safety, you can mock Jesus or Christianity and the worst that could happen is a phone call complaining or letter to the editor, but do it to Muhammad or Islam and you actually could put your live in real danger.

Real life example a decade ago now, but still as relevant as ever.

"Paris magazine's Muhammad cartoons prompt fears for French embassies
Security boosted at French outposts as Charlie Hebdo publishes cartoons mocking the prophet Muhammad

Security at French embassies around the world has been reinforced after the Paris-based satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo published cartoons mocking the prophet Muhammad.

Amid continuing protests by Muslims around the globe over a controversial anti-Islam film, French ministers and religious leaders called for restraint, and riot police were posted outside the magazine's offices.

French embassies and schools in 20 countries will be temporarily closed on Friday, as a precautionary measure in case of fresh protests after prayers, the foreign ministry said.

The offices of Charlie Hebdo were firebombed last November after it published an edition entitled Charia Hebdo, supposedly guest-edited by Muhammad."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/sep/19/paris-magazine-muhammad-ca...

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Monday, 18 Mar 2024 at 8:21pm

Steven Crowder is still kickin isn't he?

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 18 Mar 2024 at 8:39pm

Haha that was surreal
Not much different to that older religion Christianity. Or the OG Judaism. All a bit of paternalism in their scriptures and churches.
Doesn’t seem very God like. More manlike.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 18 Mar 2024 at 8:56pm

- human inventions

;);)

&pp=ygUVamVzdXMgYnVpbHQgbXkgaG90cm9k

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 18 Mar 2024 at 9:15pm

- monotheistic devotion ;)