haha, unreal, Craig!!

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 1 Jan 2024 at 7:07pm

Congratulations!!

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 1 Jan 2024 at 7:27pm

Craig, and I’ve forgotten your lovely’s name, thats great news, you guys must be stoked.
I like when environmentally friendly people decide to turn the TV off and breed. AW

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 1 Jan 2024 at 8:18pm

Ha, oh shit thanks Udo ;p

Aww thanks everyone, stoked!

AW It's Ayumi.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 1 Jan 2024 at 8:45pm
Craig wrote:

Ha, oh shit thanks Udo ;p

Aww thanks everyone, stoked!

AW It's Ayumi.

Arigato. What a beautiful name.

May the ‘ Sun Rise ‘ for the three of you. . AW

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 2 Jan 2024 at 10:56am

super cool, craig. congrats....omedetou

A new Aussie, I don't think you can have duel citizenship from Japan?

Children are the best thing ever...being a parent is a privilege.

Clivus Multrum's picture
Clivus Multrum's picture
Clivus Multrum Tuesday, 2 Jan 2024 at 11:10am

Congrats again, Craig. Great news

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 2 Jan 2024 at 12:52pm

Thanks RK and Clivus!

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 2 Jan 2024 at 3:59pm

Congratulations Ayumi and Craig! It'll change your lives and be so fun!

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Tuesday, 2 Jan 2024 at 4:50pm

congrats Craig another adventure coming your way

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 2 Jan 2024 at 5:06pm

Congratulations to the 3 of you , here’s to many joyful years ahead.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Tuesday, 2 Jan 2024 at 5:57pm

Congratulations Craig and to Ayumi lucky new arrival is picking up some great genes there, hope Ayumi is travelling well all the best.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 2 Jan 2024 at 6:28pm

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 2 Jan 2024 at 9:39pm

Really appreciate the kind words guys. Can't wait to show her the world. New adventure buddy.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Wednesday, 3 Jan 2024 at 9:09am

Craig
I have two wonderful daughters that both stopped listening to me aged 7 .

Both are almost opposites so don’t have any advice for U .

I did learn a baby crying is not like an adult .

They are so fn smart , they can’t talk so they use crying to order U around .

Bon Chance

CMC's picture
CMC's picture
CMC Wednesday, 3 Jan 2024 at 9:31am

Congrats Craig,
I can recommend raising your child to be bilingual if that's on the cards for you.
All the best.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Wednesday, 3 Jan 2024 at 9:39am

Great news...no secrets here...thanx for sharing the stoke...cheer squad just grew bigger.
Cheers udo...pure magic!

Can count on swellnet crew to somewhat controversially further embarrass our loving soulmates.
Be our pleasure Craig...here's a 1974 smoothie to kick along yer adventure! Ouch!

A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog Wednesday, 3 Jan 2024 at 9:57am

Congratulations to you both Craig.

Life is about to become much more interesting to say the least. And if you burst into tears at the birth, I can assure you its completely normal!!!

Enjoy every minute, as it passes by far too quickly.

I can clearly remember the day our kids were born, as if it were yesterday. My son is now 41 and my daughter is 43.

Best Wishes.

Pete Jovic's picture
Pete Jovic's picture
Pete Jovic Wednesday, 3 Jan 2024 at 10:16am

Fantastic news Craig. When my daughter was born, XXXX were having a promotional for new dads with every six pack of beer sold. I don't drink the stuff, but the promo pack came with disposable gloves, ear plugs and a face mask. Best promo pack ever!
Welcome to your new life. All the best.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Wednesday, 3 Jan 2024 at 10:18am

TBB
Some guys for some reason think their wife would like to listen to music while waiting to have a nice baby .

Yes , really they have NFI lol

In birthing rooms the DO provide a Sound System for this strange behaviour imo .

As my first daughter decided to take her time coming out (45 hours ) I checked the sound system and some guy had forgotten to take the disc home .

I checked with the Mrs ( who was on gas at this stage ) IF I could hit play .

She said YES and Having My Baby, came on .

I don’t lie :)

We both broke out laughing .

Baby Classes are a nightmare imo .

These types ask stupid questions , like should I make a disc of fn birthing songs ffs .

I did One , and got my mother in law to go to the other 7 . Signed her up as a support , support person .

Very handy , she cut the cord ( I was in the non business area ) .

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Wednesday, 3 Jan 2024 at 10:24am

Huge congrats to you and the *family* Craig.

Fantastic New Years news.

An incomparable and hugely rewarding adventure is in front of you all!

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Wednesday, 3 Jan 2024 at 10:40am

Having a baby is a personal choice between the people involved .

We had a wonderful Jewish Doctor my wife chose .
We had 4 or 5 sifts of wonderful midwives ( all thought it would be a Caesar ) .

The Doctor was IN control the whole time .

While both the baby and mum in NO immediate danger , he just waited and waited .

When finally , he looked at us and said , “ok , now We Go “.

It took 5 minutes !

I must admit , I thought humans had evolved a bad way to have a baby .

Very difficult imho .

Storks delivery is and sounds better lol

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 3 Jan 2024 at 10:56am

Yeah that's the plan CMC!

Haha thanks Pete and nice words SD and TBB.

Cheers Etarip, everyone says it's the best thing ever.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Wednesday, 3 Jan 2024 at 1:09pm

I’m late to this party, big congrats Craig and Ayumi. Truly the best thing ever. Our babies are 20 and 23, still loving every moment. Enjoy.

arcadia's picture
arcadia's picture
arcadia Wednesday, 3 Jan 2024 at 3:39pm

Congratulations Craig and Ayumi. Children will change your life. Make the most of the experience.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Wednesday, 3 Jan 2024 at 9:21pm

Hearty congratulations Ayumi and Craig

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 4 Jan 2024 at 8:40am

Thanks so much crew!

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 3:43pm

Good news always trumps bad. 2 happy dogs is good news for me. The young and the old.
IMG_20240323_153248843
IMG_20240323_153306031
IMG_20240323_153244653
And not long now Craig. Wishing you guys all the best!

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 5:37pm

Got to love dogs!!

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Monday, 1 Apr 2024 at 11:31am

anyone in the illawarra, or who has driven through pomborneit, or grew up watching all creatures great and small..
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-30/restoring-heritage-dry-stone-wall...

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 2 Apr 2024 at 7:08am

^^^^ Enjoy driving up the Jamberoo valley and seeing them. There's a bunch of them on the other side of Saddleback Mountain too, when you head into Kangaroo Valley from Berry. Most likely built by the same immigrants.

Though they're not built with quite the same care, we've found lots of retaining walls built the same way up in the bush behind us. Some high, some long, all very old, built when the mines went in, so close to 150 years old.

Not sure council or heritage department even know they're there so they receive informal protection from local MTBers.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 2 Apr 2024 at 11:02am

Yesterday was one year since my last big injury - touch wood.

Lot of people told me my memory would return but I still can't remember very much of the day, just fleeting, indistinct visions. Have had hypnotherapy and the like suggested but I'm not sure about it. Curious as I am, a part of me trusts my innate self-preservation instinct and thinks that perhaps it's been wiped from memory for a reason.

Body feels good and it feels like a milestone has passed.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Tuesday, 2 Apr 2024 at 11:19am

You may have been dead for a few seconds….it happened to my good friend only he hit a car on a motor bike head on…
I was there and he was dead for a few seconds maybe a minute and then just restarted.
He hadn’t been dead long enough for his spirit to leave so just a big blank was left in his mind….remembers nothing. Forget hypnosis , it’ll just mess you up.
It is what it is and you have a second chance…..embrace it wisely.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 2 Apr 2024 at 11:30am

Gday Stu been meaning to ask you about the latest thinking on the big off and whether you’re back on the bike, seems all is good. Good news!

Typical misinformed comment about hypnosis ^^^ probably based on the misconception about not being aware or present, same bias seems to apply against meditation amongst the god bothering fraternity.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 2 Apr 2024 at 11:39am
Optimist wrote:

You may have been dead for a few seconds….it happened to my good friend only he hit a car on a motor bike head on…
I was there and he was dead for a few seconds maybe a minute and then just restarted.
He hadn’t been dead long enough for his spirit to leave so just a big blank was left in his mind….remembers nothing. Forget hypnosis , it’ll just mess you up.
It is what it is and you have a second chance…..embrace it wisely.

Perhaps. I was found beside the track unmoving and unconscious, yet at times throughout the rescue I apparently regained consciousness, yet I don't remember it. Story goes that I asked the lady who found me for painkillers enough times that she "was gonna thump me".

Don't recall that at all.

At the bottom of the mountain I apparently called out my son's name a few times so they sent him over to talk to me, but I then didn't respond. An unsettling vision.

A few Swellnet users will be aware of the other MTBer who crashed around the same time I did, but whose situation turned catastrophic earlier this year. Been thinking of him and his family a lot lately.

And yeah, I guess embracing a second chance while wondering why my situation turned out differently.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 2 Apr 2024 at 11:44am
GuySmiley wrote:

Gday Stu been meaning to ask you about the latest thinking on the big off and whether you’re back on the bike, seems all is good. Good news!

Typical misinformed comment about hypnosis ^^^ probably based on the misconception about not being aware or present, same bias seems to apply against meditation amongst the god bothering fraternity.

I had got back on the bike, very cautiously, but oddly my courage didn't build up the more I rode but slowly ebbed away. I haven't been on the bike for months; not sure when I will again.

Not sure what to believe RE hypnosis. It's only my own curiousity that wants to know what happened, and hence get hypotised and hopefully uncover something, but an equally strong part of me says the memory is wiped for a reason. It hasn't happened 'accidentally' but is a neurological process.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 2 Apr 2024 at 11:57am

my 2 cents @stu, I agree with you, minds know what they are doing, way beyond our ken, don't mess with them, they are as fragile as they are robust.. maybe it'd help to transfer the curiosity into wondering if memory will return naturally in years to come.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 2 Apr 2024 at 12:12pm

@Stu What is the last thing you remember? You don’t remember what happened that lead to the crash?

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 2 Apr 2024 at 12:13pm

don't fall for it @stu!
@seeds is trying to hypnotise you!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 2 Apr 2024 at 12:40pm

Ha.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 2 Apr 2024 at 12:52pm

Ha ha...

Last concrete memory was about twenty minutes before the crash. Stopping at a junction with my son and his mate.

Then I have a very vague sense - not even a memory - of regret followed by extreme violence. It's more feeling than anything else. There's no associated image, sound, or smell, of the kind that might accompany other memories.

I vaguely recall asking (pleading) at my rescuer for painkillers.

I also vaguely recall people screaming then a feeling of dirt on my cheek and opening my eyes to be face first on the ground but couldn't move (explained to me later that I fell out of the rescue cart while still bound up in a spinal collar - they thought I'd broken my neck)

First concrete memory back in the living was the sound and pressure change of nearby rotor blades and a fella telling me I'd had an accident. Realised then that the 'visions' I'd been having weren't dreams, something had happened to me, and the weight of realising that whatever it was I was shortly going to have to deal with it.

Not much to work with.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 2 Apr 2024 at 12:58pm

Shit! It’s amazing that that much memory before the incident is missing. It will be interesting to see what memories return overtime or not.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 2 Apr 2024 at 1:03pm
seeds wrote:

Shit! It’s amazing that that much memory before the incident is missing. It will be interesting to see what memories return overtime or not.

I've read the rescue report, which included photos of the section of track where I was found, watched YouTube vids of people riding the whole track, and there's not a flicker of recognition.

All up it's about five hours of time erased.

Well, not 'erased' but not currently available for playback.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Tuesday, 2 Apr 2024 at 1:38pm

Stu

My two bobs worth .

U knocked the Shit out of yourself and were a very lucky chap , 4 sure !

Whatever happened 2 U , severe concussion , WAS involved .

I was knocked a bit Ga Ga , apparently , 4 a minute or two on a footy field , a couple of times .

The side affects did linger , I now realise ( still a bit Ga Ga haha ) .

We just ignored the side affects then , BUT Concussion is much better understood , now .

Angus Brayshaw just retired from football , as a precaution .

He was not happy leaving the Dee's , one short , for the the Whole year .

He did the right thing , of course .

You sounded as though U were in a bloody Car Crash !

I have NO interest in knowing , what I was thinking about , during the minute or so , my Lights were turned off .

So , B careful young fella !

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 2 Apr 2024 at 1:35pm

Hey Stu, when 14 I blacked out going down biggest hill in suburb on a bike, a hill I'd done many times before. Memory of before the fall was gone, first thing I remember is being on the grass at the house at the bottom of the hill all busted up with others helping. Seems similar - these days I just accept that I don't have memory going into, or of it happening. Brain still works.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Tuesday, 2 Apr 2024 at 1:38pm

- hypnotic highlining ;)

https://m.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 2 Apr 2024 at 1:43pm

“ haven't been on the bike for months; not sure when I will again.”

That’s the part I find interesting, understandable but interesting.