No he didn't - the Yellow Pages did!!

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Wednesday, 1 Mar 2023 at 6:13pm
sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 1 Mar 2023 at 11:21pm

the big island... doing not so well...

https://thebalisun.com/local-senators-speak-up-about-the-impact-of-waste...

classic case of big bali dreams and ambitions, but seemingly, a distinct inability to follow stuff through...

does my head in the massive piles of plastic and rubbish just around the corner from some bali's biggest resorts and attractions. whilst I imagine the local culture, caste system, and corruption plays a major role, you'd think those international corporation hotels and resorts could sort something out...

it's a terrible look, for all involved

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Monday, 22 May 2023 at 6:07pm

After longing for a sly clove ciggie on occasion, but indo supplies long since gone, I finally though that you must be able to cook your own. I shall start experimenting soon.

In the meantime, here's a good-sounding recipe for FR, Stu and other afficionados to try:

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Clove-Cigarettes-or-Kretek

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 22 May 2023 at 6:31pm

Good recipe. Let us know the result. Dig the mix of practical info and trivia:

"Do not worry if the petal-ball breaks in half or thirds - this is actually good. The characteristic crackling sound of kreteks is actually the petal-ball burning, which is why we try to leave it either intact or in large pieces. It is also where the onomatopoetic Indonesian word "kretek" comes from!"

Unfortunately I had to cancel a G-Land trip cos of my ribs, so no 'tangs, 'dangs, and Bob Marley to end the day. I'll be in the water by then but can't take the risk - imagine the boat ride back with busted ribs?

Still, I'm gonna spend a week in Bali with the family. See if I can nip off for a few sly gudangs while I'm there; hear those petal-balls crackle and kretek.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Monday, 22 May 2023 at 6:36pm

Sounds like a good plan, Stu. Enjoy the trip.

And yes, I liked the idea of trying out whisky, tea, maple syrup, nutmeg etc.

(Speaking of injuries, I almost did a Mick Fanning today. Had to carefully let myself get washed in with what felt like a leg that had been brutally torn off. I can walk now, and there's no acute pain, but physio visit will be interesting.)

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 3:08pm
Wilhelm Scream wrote:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-22/antoine-dicenta-jailed-over-abrol...

haha. A comedy of errors.
Foiled by a giant seal. ha.
Almost as comical as the halfwits that halfsunk their boat off the Southern coast a couple of months ago and let their prized cargo of 370kg of coke drift ashore only to be seized by the coppers a week later.
Tough gig it seems!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 6:39pm
southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 9:49pm

Geeez they're all separate events i think.
That's a shitload of money someone will be missing.
Nice decoy by the coppers.
haha surely they were doomed when they took out a boat called Cool Runnings.
A bit going on over here by the looks of it.
Might be more than nautilus shells washing up if this keeps up.
More trouble than it's worth though i reckon. I'll stick to the shell collecting thanks.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 8:22am

Phew! It wasn't a full Mick Fanning, just minor tear/strain of hip flexor and hamstring/arse attachment.
Away the next 4 weeks, so snuck out to the big sand bar and very conservatively caught a handful of 6ft+ waves - all of them makes.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 8:49am
Island Bay wrote:

Phew! It wasn't a full Mick Fanning, just minor tear/strain of hip flexor and hamstring/arse attachment.
Away the next 4 weeks, so snuck out to the big sand bar and very conservatively caught a handful of 6ft+ waves - all of them makes.

Fortunate. So what's the takeaway from it..?

a) Invest in full deck grip?
b) Don't go for anything involving a late landing?
c) Start an intensive stretching/exercise program that rebuilds your whole body?

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 8:56am

Definitely c).
I wasn't even on the board, just got launched from the lip on a floater, and it was landing awkwardly on the water (upside down) that it happened.

Pretty damn happy with how my body is doing at 59, though. This morning was another big paddle fest, and I felt nigh on invincible. But yes, more strengthening, and more posterior chain stretching.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 9:15am

When you're on the program, don't forget to stop and smell the cloves.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 9:43am

Always.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 10:08am

Love the Smell and Taste.....but feel like Shit after a Kretek.....
Clove cigarettes contain eugenol, a mild anesthetic that naturally occurs in cloves. This numbing effect allows the person to inhale longer and more deeply than with traditional cigarettes
So that big long lasting Log of a Clove Durry is giving huge amount of Nicotine and doing double the Damage.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 10:20am

Have you tried the milder brands, Udo? I can't do Gudangs or Djarum, so mostly smoke Sampoerna, but even they can be too heavy for me. CT Laser Clas Mild taste great and are very user friendly.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 10:26am

Time and a place for 'em.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 10:30am

Surfing's too dangerous, Stu. You should try MTB!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 10:43am

Ha.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 11:36am

Is that a baby gate, Indo style, on the door?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 11:46am

Yep. Utterly impenetrable...

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 11:06am
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 1:50pm
san Guine wrote:

One for the birds
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/sep/10/she-kills-to-be-kind...

Commendable efforts for sure.
I’ve a concern for the global mass use of Rodenticides, mostly contains Warfarin (an anticoagulant that essentially makes rats and mice drown in their own bloody pulmonary fluids). Death is not instant and can go on for days or upto a week. Warfarin is not lost in a biological food chain, nocturnal animals and birds that consume these rodents eventually die.
Also, new species of rats (and plenty other plants, animals etc.) are being discovered globally on any one day.

New species identification by your average punter is near on impossible, i know of people who have been killing birds, reptiles and other animals for years even decades thinking they are targeting something nasty, when in reality what they actually kill are misidentified species.

In the Great Otway National Park along the Great Ocean Road, rare native Broad-toothed rats have just been found.

They are a similar nankeen/brown colour to the well established Rattus norvegicus Brown Rat which is the other main antagonist in Australia along with Rattus rattus Black Rat.

I very much doubt that the public would be capable of discerning which species is native or exotic.
More to come on this matter for me. AW

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 3:44pm

Hi AW,
I agree Warfarin poisoning is a hideous way to eliminate rats.
Your second point re species identification is problematic, the lack of indigenous mammals in NZ makes the job easier, rats, possum, feral cats etc can and should be eliminated especially on small offshore islands. It also allows endangered species to be reintroduced without predation as the article highlights.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 4:50pm

Agree it's nasty stuff. Not having to take it anymore is daily good news in a way.
When it comes to rats, what are better ways to remove them than warfarin or baits? Did devil trapping years ago and the traps used seem a pretty good template.

Oh, a postscript to the magpie story in the botany thread. I found the maggies again, the day after my last post and the fella's mournful song. He was mournful because... he had triplets!

We saw mum early foraging on the local grasses with a young boy and girl, and further away camped out in another front garden was dad and a daughter. So the baby magpies weren't knocked off! Great news. The currawongs must've done runs on the nest only when the babies were out of it. I've since seen two of the babies perched up in a large nearby tree, and doing dives and recoveries, to make dodgy landings back in the tree. Like groms learning to bottom turn.

Anyway:

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 4:51pm

Nice one VJ.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 5:11pm
seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 5:14pm

Love Maggies, sound up Mr Einstein only a small sample of his repertoire

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 5:19pm
velocityjohnno wrote:

Agree it's nasty stuff. Not having to take it anymore is daily good news in a way.
When it comes to rats, what are better ways to remove them than warfarin or baits? Did devil trapping years ago and the traps used seem a pretty good template.

Oh, a postscript to the magpie story in the botany thread. I found the maggies again, the day after my last post and the fella's mournful song. He was mournful because... he had triplets!

We saw mum early foraging on the local grasses with a young boy and girl, and further away camped out in another front garden was dad and a daughter. So the baby magpies weren't knocked off! Great news. The currawongs must've done runs on the nest only when the babies were out of it. I've since seen two of the babies perched up in a large nearby tree, and doing dives and recoveries, to make dodgy landings back in the tree. Like groms learning to bottom turn.

Anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n6AYKjTYtM

VJ. Oh, you’ve made my day, great news, a bit of anthropomorphism in all of us.
Privy to the previous discussion re: bird young being taken by other birds, all of us here understand it’s a natural process, survival of the fittest gene pool, Currawongs, Butcherbirds (aptly named) just doing their natural thang.

Yep, VJ , had a client 12 weeks ago who was taking Warfarin as a blood thinner, he hated the stuff but clearly understood if he missed a dose, she’s all over river.

I’m very happy to hear you no longer need it.

And I value your life more than a magpie by the way. Good stuff.AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 5:52pm
san Guine wrote:

Hi AW,
I agree Warfarin poisoning is a hideous way to eliminate rats.
Your second point re species identification is problematic, the lack of indigenous mammals in NZ makes the job easier, rats, possum, feral cats etc can and should be eliminated especially on small offshore islands. It also allows endangered species to be reintroduced without predation as the article highlights.

SanGuine. Hi mate. I fully concur with you regarding NZ exotics and the short term benefits of using offshore islands.

I’ve travelled and observed NZ flora and fauna in many parts.
My first visit left me gobsmacked as to how many exotics had been introduced to all 3 islands that comprise NZ (North, South & Stewart Islands) . So many European species, devastated by stoats and others, just plain munching machines, eating anything in their paths. Australia has given NZ plenty of unwanted biota.
NZealands offshore islands are incredibly important temporary refugia to animals who are on the brink of extinction or critically low in numbers.
North West Australia offshore islands play a similar significant role to our threatened species.
The best pain free removal of exotic animals is trapping, in an ideal world.

I fully understand that chemicals are used but i don’t like it.

Before anybody jumps me over chemical use, I will remind folk again that last year, 80% of Californians who visited their GP and gave an urine sample , traces of Glyphosate was found within, not good at all, doesn’t get lost in the biological food chain, it just gets transferred to the next cellular life and so on.

Macquarie Island, a sub-Antarctic linear island, in 2014, managed to permanently eradicate rabbits and rats by using baits dropped from planes that targeted species they wanted to kill at the time, it was the largest island in the world to successfully eradicate the aforementioned, it can be done. AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 6:10pm
seaslug wrote:

https://imgur.com/a/O4UWdAx

Seaslug good one. Mimicry almost equivalent to a Superb Lyrebird.
I could even hear a Boobook Owl in that little performance.AW

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 6:23pm

Cheers AW, if he does his whole routine I think he's better but then again I'm biased :) Not many people notice the Boobook. He also says "Hello Fido" but now he's leaning to say Hello and my name, I shit you not

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 6:50pm
seaslug wrote:

https://imgur.com/a/O4UWdAx

That's epic you've got one that's multilingual and can speak Kookaburra!

If you can teach him to say "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope," I will be very impressed.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 6:53pm
seaslug wrote:

Cheers AW, if he does his whole routine I think he's better but then again I'm biased :) Not many people notice the Boobook. He also says "Hello Fido" but now he's leaning to say Hello and my name, I shit you not

Seaslug. Totally agree with you .There’s something nice about taking the time to slow down, listening to the noise animals, birds , insects and frogs make instead of the horrendous noises we generate as humans, it’s not until you step away from it (say, like a road trip into the interior or similar) that you fully appreciate how loud we are, I spent all weekend amongst shorebirds, wind, ocean movements and the beautiful sounds of myriad species of sea birds. AW

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 6:54pm

Excellent stuff VJ and seaslug. Gotta love the cheeky buggers.

An amusing little clip..
https://youtube.com/shorts/x8jpjSinvDM?si=0DGf3exbmOrQ9ro9

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 7:56pm
seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 8:00pm

Funny TS, here have a little present mate

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 12 Sep 2023 at 4:47pm

So we've put up a bird bath for the upcoming hot El Nino summer and one of the currawongs discovered it the other day. Had a good splash and it was nice to watch, Today he arrived, perched on the edge, looked around, looked at us, looked around again and then vomited into it. I swear they are the biggest trolls of the domestic birds.

RockyIsland's picture
RockyIsland's picture
RockyIsland Tuesday, 12 Sep 2023 at 5:19pm

Used to manage ski lodges up at Mt Hotham.
When the Bogong Moths came at the end of the season used to pay the kids in the lodge to suck them up with a vacuum cleaner as they were every where.
When the vacuum bag was full used to take it out onto the deck and the Currawongs would come flying in and gorge them selves on Bogong Moths.
Love there calls.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 12 Sep 2023 at 5:37pm

Ha ha VJ! That made me laugh out loud.

Fucker.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 12 Sep 2023 at 5:44pm

Thanks for the link Udo.

Well done Kai, if you read this all the best on your journey forward.

Also, you may or may not know that 'kai' is another word for ocean in Japanese. So your oldies gave you a good name.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Tuesday, 12 Sep 2023 at 6:01pm

Vomited VJ or coughed up a pellet?

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 12 Sep 2023 at 6:19pm

Coughed up a pellet, seaslug. Is that a form of thank you?

Years ago there was one that would cough up little pyramids of pellets of purple berries on my wetsuits drying on the top of the fence.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Tuesday, 12 Sep 2023 at 7:24pm

Never seen the magpies cough them up into their drinking water though, more etiquette than Currawongs maybe :)

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Tuesday, 12 Sep 2023 at 7:29pm

The little purple berries might have been a thank you.

The juvenile pied butcher bird left on separate occasions a squid jig and bright orange beer bottle top on my doormat, I like to think it's a sign of a thank you :)

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Wednesday, 13 Sep 2023 at 10:25am