I love Bali

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Thursday, 19 Mar 2015 at 6:55pm

I love Bali.

You wouldn't think that such a thought could be controversial . But it is.
Many people don't love Bali, in fact they proclaim to hate it. Bemoan what it has become, it's lack of purity, it's lost innocence.

Sure, I can see their point. I can't imagine anywhere on Earth that has been transformed as radically as Bali over the last thirty years. From rice paddies and coconut groves to six story discotheques . It's totally unrecognisable in the most built up areas.

But that's not what this post is about. It's about why I LOVE Bali.

I love Bali because ...

- it's still the home of an intense cluster of world class waves. Roping lefts : Uluwatu, freight train right barrels : Sanur, backlit mega tubes : Padang Padang. Rip able reefs, fun beachies. Short , slabby pits and long mellow points. River mouths and bombies. It's got the lot.

- it's still possible to get uncrowded quality waves in 2015 when it seems as though the entire planet has discovered surfing. I was trading crystal clear , rolling right walls with only two other surfers just this morning.

- it's still freaking beautiful. Watching the mist reveal Mt Agung in that unique Bali morning light from a black sand beach as the sun comes up is still special.

- the food is amazing. Walking around town building up a hunger and knowing that at any given time you are within shouting distance of fresh, exotic and delicious meals with enough variety to make your head spin is priceless.

- the Balinese are legends. Friendly, happy and always keen for a joke. Unfailingly polite and welcoming. Healthy, spiritual and decent.

- the Balinese surfers rip their waves and they still own them. A visiting Brazilian would not think twice to drop in on an Aussie local at Kirra. But you won't see the same in Bali. The Balinese surfers are treated with the respect they deserve. Because as everyone knows, if they are not treated with respect there is consequences.

- the water is so warm it's like swimming in silken angels tears.

- telling people that you are going to Bali will often elicit a response along the lines of ......"why would you go to that traffic ridden, noisy shithole ?" And then as you're kicking back with a Bintang watching the sunset over Uluwatu you can imagine them sitting at lights in their car on their way home from work in Perth. Which , for those that have never been , is a noisy , traffic ridden shithole. And this makes me laugh. Which is something I enjoy doing.

- The fruit is incredible.

- despite the millions of tourists, the fast food franchises and the Aussie over familiarity with the joint it's still exotic. The smell of clove cigarettes, the ogo ogos of Nyepi, the Buddhist offerings , monkeys , food and language are all enticingly foreign.

- there is no overreaching nanny state. You want to ride your motorbike with all four of your children and the missus on the back...whilst texting. Go for it.

- you can live like a king on a regular Aussie income. Maybe not such a great benefit for the Balinese themselves though.

- it's close to Oz. Twenty hour plane ride and a shot at developing deep vein thrombosis.....ummm no thanks. It's actually faster to fly to Bali from Perth than it is to drive to Albany. You can fly from Port Hedland in less than two hours.

- you get an opportunity to regularly witness some of the most foolhardy behaviour imaginable on a daily basis. You ever seen a man being doubled on a motorbike through traffic whilst holding a large pane of glass ? What about seeing someone hold a nail between his bare fingers while his mate tries to grind the tip off it ? It's all there folks.

- you can see people making do with not much and making it work. An exhaust system held on with a T Shirt ? An outboard motor attached to a boat with no anchoring system, just held on with a man's brute force ? Why not ? It might not work forever but it'll usually get em over the line.

- the winds can blow offshore for months at a time and when they blow onshore, well , that just makes it offshore somewhere else. It's an island !

- you haven't seen glassy oceanic conditions till you've seen Indonesian sheet glass. It's like an oil slick. And if you're ever near Benoa Harbour that could well be what it is.

- old people are accorded the respect they deserve.

- it's exciting. It's a melting pot of the world. Wide eyed villages from remote Asia, jaded techno princesses from Russia, sleek surfy chicks from Canada , your next door neighbour from Ipswich....it's a party and everyone is invited.

Including YOU. I'll see you there. You can't miss me.

I'll be the sun burnt drunk in a head to toe Bintang ensemble with hair braids and a fresh tattoo of a unicorn across my back . Don't be shy. Come and say hello.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 20 Apr 2023 at 8:38am
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 20 Apr 2023 at 8:40am
udo wrote:

https://thebalisun.com/want-to-skip-bali-traffic-this-new-boat-taxi-serv...

Great idea!
If I ever moved back to Bali would live in Tuban, actually quiet there now and no influencer crowd. Surf reefs out front, have a boat or jet ski for Bukit, and easy drive from there to east coast and Nusa area. Electric pushy for heading up the beach if wanted to head up to Seminayk area.
Crowds sorted! except in water....

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 27 Apr 2023 at 1:33pm

"Luiza Kosykh claims she didn’t know the 700-year-old tree she posed naked in front of was sacred."

oh my

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 27 Apr 2023 at 2:17pm
burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 4 May 2023 at 1:38pm
Supafreak wrote:

I’ve tracked the last two days of virgin flights direct to Bali from Gold Coast and both have gone this route without going via Melbourne. Its got me farked why they canceled my flight 6 months before departure for “ maintenance “ reasons . All the direct Gold Coast flights still say “ subject to government approval “

Supa, because your flights have been changed you are entitled to change your flights completely meaning you can choose a direct flight to Bali from the GC.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 4 May 2023 at 3:36pm
burleigh wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

I’ve tracked the last two days of virgin flights direct to Bali from Gold Coast and both have gone this route without going via Melbourne. Its got me farked why they canceled my flight 6 months before departure for “ maintenance “ reasons . All the direct Gold Coast flights still say “ subject to government approval “

Supa, because your flights have been changed you are entitled to change your flights completely meaning you can choose a direct flight to Bali from the GC.

Already tried and they were going to stick me with the fare difference which all up for three people was $1600 , originally tickets cost $1800 . I’ve argued until blue in the face , unreal how they canceled due to a maintenance issue 6 months before flight , the truth would be they hadn’t sold enough seats when on special so flicked everyone onto Melbournes flight . The next direct is 2 days after our date but like I said they want $1600 extra. Not very good customer service .

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 4 May 2023 at 4:47pm

Supa - When do Virgin Direct from Goldy flights start?

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 4 May 2023 at 4:52pm
udo wrote:

Already started

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 4 May 2023 at 4:59pm
burleigh wrote:
udo wrote:

Already started

Started 29th March, I tracked the first few flights and they went direct

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 4 May 2023 at 5:09pm

I just looked online and that flight on the 10th june that they offered for extra $1600 is now also going via Melbourne and the next day 11th June is currently going direct . If I booked this today leaving on 11th june come back on 9th July, for 3 of us its just over $5700return

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 4 May 2023 at 5:20pm

When they first notified me of changes about 5 months ago and offered the via Melbourne route I excepted because when I looked online some we’re getting diverted to Melbourne Adelaide Bali . I was tied in with school dates so excepted it at the time online and when I verbally questioned why the change got the shits when they said it was due to unforeseen maintenance issues . Batik from Brisbane next time .

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Sunday, 7 May 2023 at 8:35am
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 12 May 2023 at 3:35pm

https://coconuts.co/bali/news/renting-a-motorbike-in-bali-officials-set-... Renting a motorbike in Bali? Officials set to enforce international driving license requirement for foreign tourists

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Friday, 12 May 2023 at 4:37pm
Supafreak wrote:

https://coconuts.co/bali/news/renting-a-motorbike-in-bali-officials-set-... Renting a motorbike in Bali? Officials set to enforce international driving license requirement for foreign tourists

Good luck with that.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 13 May 2023 at 5:33am

A mate is currently on lembongan and it’s tiny so he rang bobby’s camp in g-land , was told it’s packed and only room available was $1060 for 3 nights .

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Saturday, 13 May 2023 at 5:47am

Swell probably too south for Lombongan? been pumping in sumatra last week so maybe speedies or moneys is getting a little runner? 1060 is damn steep for 3 days but i always thought g-land was pretty cheap for what it is.Food can get boring but better than other food at some homestays.

Personally will prob trip out at all the changes and prices if i go back to indo.
Guessing Marlboro whites are more than 20 000 rupiah by now?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 13 May 2023 at 6:46am

My brother is there tomorrow.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Saturday, 13 May 2023 at 7:34am

He might score Freeride-a day ago at lowtide moneys-

sat and sunday look good but a little rain tomorrow..hope westerlies dont blow but should be good for a week or more i reckon not too much west in the swell.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 19 May 2023 at 7:47am

When he sobered up he would be thinking what the fark have I done , the demon drink &cops don’t mix ……. British man knocks out cop in Bali after refusing to pay bar bill……. https://coconuts.co/bali/news/british-man-knocks-out-cop-in-bali-after-r...……wait until the Russians discover karen’s diner ……. https://coconuts.co/bali/news/controversy-strikes-karens-diner-bali-as-d...

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Friday, 19 May 2023 at 9:00am
flow's picture
flow's picture
flow Saturday, 20 May 2023 at 4:39pm

Quick question. How are the crowds in Bail these days? Last trip was around 2015. I usually surfed the reefs off Kuta, avoiding ulus and bingin for the last few trips.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 20 May 2023 at 4:59pm
flow wrote:

Quick question. How are the crowds in Bail these days? Last trip was around 2015. I usually surfed the reefs off Kuta, avoiding ulus and bingin for the last few trips.

Pretty packed mate , check the surf cams . Haven’t surfed the reefs you have mentioned since the 80s but have heard Kuta reef these days is dominated by local hotties.

flow's picture
flow's picture
flow Saturday, 20 May 2023 at 5:15pm

Cheers Supa

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 20 May 2023 at 7:14pm
flow wrote:

Chatting with mate who lives in Bali last night, never seen ulu as busy as it is now in water and out....
Stayed a week in Tuban last September and area quiet, didn't surf reefs out front but there were waves and didn't seem too crazy. I was surfing Bukit. Sure you'll still get some ok sessions at middles.... Reckon if U stay away from cangpoo you'll be ok. Reckon ulu crowd will thin out considerably once it's over 4-5 ft....
Enjoylah....

flow's picture
flow's picture
flow Saturday, 20 May 2023 at 7:33pm

Thanks Andy. Middles has always served me well.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 10:31am

Koster is really out of touch if he believes it’s the poorer tourists that are the problem in Bali. I’d say to a certain degree it’s the wealthy that disregard the rules & have no idea about the local culture or any respect for it . Bali does attract its fair share of scammers as there is plenty of rich tourists. Koster has some strange idea’s about many things and try’s to say what he believes is popular with locals ……https://theworldnews.net/au-news/bali-is-cracking-down-on-undesirable-fo...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 2:45pm

the old surf rats and hardy travellers of yore certainly had their troubles before, but that ain't the problem now

it is the the 'upper class' newbies, from certain regions around europe, that are either too ignorant, too arrogant, or too aloof, to learn respect, or appreciate local ways

koster's much desired... 'more classy kind of tourist'...

once again, the race to the bottom is powered by social media - both in terms of incentive - and providing a super superficial online 'guide to bali', that seems to breed more ignorance than enlightenment

indo's have funny ideas about class and classy

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 2:40pm

too many trust fund babies

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 3:35pm
sypkan wrote:

How many you people do actually have mum/dad's money to live on and go surfing around the world? I've never known one, but I'm sure they exist.

But yes, the clientele on Bali has definitely changed :-/

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 5:07pm
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 5:12pm
Island Bay wrote:
sypkan wrote:

How many you people do actually have mum/dad's money to live on and go surfing around the world? I've never known one, but I'm sure they exist.

Me either, but surely that would set you on the path to becoming an entitled cunt of a human later in life? Maybe not.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 5:12pm
andy-mac wrote:

Meanwhile in Bali... Geez.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/798885045176825?s=yWDuG2&fs=e&mibextid=Nif5oz

Throw her in jail and when the drugs wear off , fine her $10,000 USD and then deport her with life ban .

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 5:18pm

Unbelievable. Completely shameless.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 26 May 2023 at 7:57am

Off to bangli mental institution, I’ve heard some horror stories of expats lost in the system and placed in bangli. https://coconuts.co/bali/news/naked-german-woman-crashes-balinese-dance-...

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 26 May 2023 at 8:01am
Supafreak wrote:

Off to bangli mental institution, I’ve heard some horror stories of expats lost in the system and placed in bangli. https://coconuts.co/bali/news/naked-german-woman-crashes-balinese-dance-...

Mate sent me some footage of her being deported...
Had just finished a Kundalini Tantri Yoga course and was told to embody her divine feminine Goddess!!

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Friday, 26 May 2023 at 9:58am
Island Bay wrote:
sypkan wrote:

I don't know many of the proper cliche trust fund babies - though there are an awful lot of them there too that aren't in the surf scene. There's a lot of passive income people though, and they've got a lot of the same issues but are also periodically financially ruined and ripping off locals left right and centre. Basically everyone I know with a homestay has a story of people who owe them big debts for accommodation or bike rentals who have just disappeared.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Friday, 26 May 2023 at 11:54am

Bali is also a hotspot for the 'dropshipping' lifestyle.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/dropshipping-instagram-ads

I would argue that most people there don't come for surfing, it's a global, mass tourism destination these days. And there are many who live there, permanently or temporarily, while making money in the US, UK, and other Western markets.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 26 May 2023 at 3:18pm

"...I don't know many of the proper cliche trust fund babies - though there are an awful lot of them there too that aren't in the surf scene. There's a lot of passive income people though..."

was using it more in a broad sense of the term, ...though as you say, plenty of the real deal too...

I was thinking more flollo's dropshitterheads

and every other second DM, who has some online 'business' hustle running...

usually something like a 'fashion label'

which basically equates to peddling third world wares bikinis out of a villa block sponsored by bank of mummy and daddy

a bit like jb' boardies in the byron carpark back in the day... but with a glamour level bank balance and an influencer account...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 26 May 2023 at 3:20pm

and this guy...

Max Charlottan - Cryptocurrency workshop facilitator and bitcoinepreneur from Colorado. Trust fund baby with Ivy League education who likes to say he his 'self-made'. Doesn’t wear shoes to appear more down to earth. Could be anywhere but chose Bali because his friends are here and he heard the women are hot and easy. Here to take you through coding class and the benefits of micro-dosing. Likes to call himself a cryptobro without any irony.

https://www.legianstreetjournal.com/blog/the-people-you-meet-at-the-bali...

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 26 May 2023 at 3:27pm

Haha, the absolute state of it!

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Friday, 26 May 2023 at 4:00pm

It is somewhat vindicating to know that Australias surfrats aren't the worst demographic in town, and it was in fact the new age spiritual weirdos that had the least amount of respect all along.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Friday, 26 May 2023 at 5:23pm

Just heard on the car radio that the bloke who went full spastic in Sumatra is making the deal on the compensation settlement, or at least his family is, which might let him walk free in a matter of days.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Friday, 26 May 2023 at 5:38pm

yep, bodhi mani risby jones, deal done and dusted, wad of cash for a walk away. bill birtles on pm in jakarta talking now on RN i think, in half an hour in SA. (5:30pm)

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Friday, 26 May 2023 at 6:34pm

bodhi in good health after a month in prison, paid cash to the fisho and his wife, 2 more weeks there while he's processed, then he comes home to byron.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 26 May 2023 at 7:01pm

$25KAUD plus already paid $5K AUD

Buy a decent house in most areas of Indo for that. (outside of Bali, Jakarta and big cities)

Honestly feel for the guy, probably his first trip to Indo and will probably never return.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-26/noosa-man-reaches-agreement-with-...

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 27 May 2023 at 9:16am

Sounds like he got off fairly lightly given the other options mooted at the time of his arrest.
I lost any sympathy when I heard he threw the motorbike onto the local after he knocked him off it. Getting pissed and shouting a bit, yeah we have all probably been there. The next bit, no. That's just nasty.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Saturday, 27 May 2023 at 9:51am

I'll say, but it is the best result for the fisho, wonder how much of the cash he and his wife ended up with? Is there any info on whether the kid was drinking real vodka, and not methanol arak or something?