I love Bali

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Thursday, 19 Mar 2015 at 6:55pm

I love Bali.

You wouldn't think that such a thought could be controversial . But it is.
Many people don't love Bali, in fact they proclaim to hate it. Bemoan what it has become, it's lack of purity, it's lost innocence.

Sure, I can see their point. I can't imagine anywhere on Earth that has been transformed as radically as Bali over the last thirty years. From rice paddies and coconut groves to six story discotheques . It's totally unrecognisable in the most built up areas.

But that's not what this post is about. It's about why I LOVE Bali.

I love Bali because ...

- it's still the home of an intense cluster of world class waves. Roping lefts : Uluwatu, freight train right barrels : Sanur, backlit mega tubes : Padang Padang. Rip able reefs, fun beachies. Short , slabby pits and long mellow points. River mouths and bombies. It's got the lot.

- it's still possible to get uncrowded quality waves in 2015 when it seems as though the entire planet has discovered surfing. I was trading crystal clear , rolling right walls with only two other surfers just this morning.

- it's still freaking beautiful. Watching the mist reveal Mt Agung in that unique Bali morning light from a black sand beach as the sun comes up is still special.

- the food is amazing. Walking around town building up a hunger and knowing that at any given time you are within shouting distance of fresh, exotic and delicious meals with enough variety to make your head spin is priceless.

- the Balinese are legends. Friendly, happy and always keen for a joke. Unfailingly polite and welcoming. Healthy, spiritual and decent.

- the Balinese surfers rip their waves and they still own them. A visiting Brazilian would not think twice to drop in on an Aussie local at Kirra. But you won't see the same in Bali. The Balinese surfers are treated with the respect they deserve. Because as everyone knows, if they are not treated with respect there is consequences.

- the water is so warm it's like swimming in silken angels tears.

- telling people that you are going to Bali will often elicit a response along the lines of ......"why would you go to that traffic ridden, noisy shithole ?" And then as you're kicking back with a Bintang watching the sunset over Uluwatu you can imagine them sitting at lights in their car on their way home from work in Perth. Which , for those that have never been , is a noisy , traffic ridden shithole. And this makes me laugh. Which is something I enjoy doing.

- The fruit is incredible.

- despite the millions of tourists, the fast food franchises and the Aussie over familiarity with the joint it's still exotic. The smell of clove cigarettes, the ogo ogos of Nyepi, the Buddhist offerings , monkeys , food and language are all enticingly foreign.

- there is no overreaching nanny state. You want to ride your motorbike with all four of your children and the missus on the back...whilst texting. Go for it.

- you can live like a king on a regular Aussie income. Maybe not such a great benefit for the Balinese themselves though.

- it's close to Oz. Twenty hour plane ride and a shot at developing deep vein thrombosis.....ummm no thanks. It's actually faster to fly to Bali from Perth than it is to drive to Albany. You can fly from Port Hedland in less than two hours.

- you get an opportunity to regularly witness some of the most foolhardy behaviour imaginable on a daily basis. You ever seen a man being doubled on a motorbike through traffic whilst holding a large pane of glass ? What about seeing someone hold a nail between his bare fingers while his mate tries to grind the tip off it ? It's all there folks.

- you can see people making do with not much and making it work. An exhaust system held on with a T Shirt ? An outboard motor attached to a boat with no anchoring system, just held on with a man's brute force ? Why not ? It might not work forever but it'll usually get em over the line.

- the winds can blow offshore for months at a time and when they blow onshore, well , that just makes it offshore somewhere else. It's an island !

- you haven't seen glassy oceanic conditions till you've seen Indonesian sheet glass. It's like an oil slick. And if you're ever near Benoa Harbour that could well be what it is.

- old people are accorded the respect they deserve.

- it's exciting. It's a melting pot of the world. Wide eyed villages from remote Asia, jaded techno princesses from Russia, sleek surfy chicks from Canada , your next door neighbour from Ipswich....it's a party and everyone is invited.

Including YOU. I'll see you there. You can't miss me.

I'll be the sun burnt drunk in a head to toe Bintang ensemble with hair braids and a fresh tattoo of a unicorn across my back . Don't be shy. Come and say hello.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Tuesday, 20 Jun 2023 at 10:13pm
goofyfoot wrote:
simba wrote:

crowd what crowd .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcPAxBJO6iY

Jesus Christ that’s worse than anything I’ve seen at Snapper.
What’s happened to that place…

There's plenty of people to blame. Businesses like Drifter, Singlefin, all the new age Bingin boho stuff. All of them are doing everything they can to bring more people in so they can keep making money. They're all pushing ads, opening new businessesm trying to attract new clientele from Ubud and other yoga hotspots. Surfers of Bali made it clear to millions that you can surf these spots without being very good at it. All the creature comforts like lattes and smashed avocado and wifi followed. It's a thoroughly predictable model that happens everywhere. It's nothing short of a miracle that the Bukit was a bit of a surfing backwater for as long as it was. The last three years changed it forever.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 20 Jun 2023 at 10:36pm

I can see lembongan becoming the new seminyak as far as restaurants go and eventually big hotel chains moving in . The amount of new restaurants that have popped up since last year is amazing . Plenty of European people investing in the place and some really nice but expensive food available . Went to a steak and pizzeria the other night, Australian Angus steak was $60 for 500g , T- bone $75 for 750g , tomohawk steak $150 for 1.5 kg and sirloin $40 for 350 g , came with mash potato and grilled tomato. Went the sirloin as they had sold out of the Angus. Very nice quality meat and some people shared a tomahawk . A wide variety of restaurants now , gone are the days of tuna on a stick and kerosene flavoured jaffles . The surf schools which are many must be averaging about 60 people a day , 98% European.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 21 Jun 2023 at 11:55am

As far as i heard and might sound a little anti Russian racist, but i heard Russians are taking over Bali these days and many no clue about surf etiquette.
not sure how true that is but doesn't seem like they are heading to outer islands, not even lombok.

Not sure if anyone remembers me talking about a guy named Jaya B, but he swears he was surfing Karamas by himself in the early 90's all the time..He said he may have even been the first to surf it but isn't sure..He had it to himself all the time, but now the place is flooded (many Russians) every time there's a 2 foot plus wave there.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 21 Jun 2023 at 12:00pm
groundswell wrote:

As far as i heard and might sound a little anti Russian racist, but i heard Russians are taking over Bali these days and many no clue about surf etiquette.
not sure how true that is but doesn't seem like they are heading to outer islands, not even lombok.

Not sure if anyone remembers me talking about a guy named Jaya B, but he swears he was surfing Karamas by himself in the early 90's all the time..He said he may have even been the first to surf it but isn't sure..He had it to himself all the time, but now the place is flooded (many Russians) every time there's a 2 foot plus wave there.

Is Jaya B french nationality ?

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 21 Jun 2023 at 12:04pm

Hawaiian with Balinese wife, living at the moment on big island hawaii but did live in bali for many years..Also knows thousands of people so you probably know him, has about 2-3 kids from memory but wont go to Bali these days unless is hired to build a resort pool or skate park which is his skillset.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 21 Jun 2023 at 12:06pm
groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 21 Jun 2023 at 12:19pm

Feel sorry for the bloke actually, paid for a house on big island and then almost lost it with lava runoff on a volcanic eruption, but house was saved but all the surf spots even a good beachy has dissapeared with no new surf spots created..bored as hell he says.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 21 Jun 2023 at 1:10pm
Supafreak wrote:

The surf schools which are many must be averaging about 60 people a day , 98% European.

Had a mate surfing Lacerations the last week or two, said the local guides were blocking him on waves and pushing in beginners from the shoulder, where we was trying to tuck under and into the barrel. Had one guide even kick at him. Seems like it's done.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 21 Jun 2023 at 1:52pm
Craig wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

The surf schools which are many must be averaging about 60 people a day , 98% European.

Had a mate surfing Lacerations the last week or two, said the local guides were blocking him on waves and pushing in beginners from the shoulder, where we was trying to tuck under and into the barrel. Had one guide even kick at him. Seems like it's done.

Plenty of better waves in Indonesia, it’s extremely fickle some years and other years can be consistent throughout a particular month . When it’s on its dominated by locals that absolutely rip . I was fortunate to start surfing here as a young 18 yo back in 1980 . Had plenty of sessions over the years by myself or a few others. I still enjoy the island because of long term relationships but I agree with your summary that ‘ its done ‘ . The wreck during that big swell only had 3 guys out playing cat & mouse . I’ve had some good sessions so far at wreck but I wait for the sets and line up for my turn. In closer is a shit fight and so many just get in the way and shouldn’t be out there looking like a deer caught in the headlights. School holidays start Friday but already queensland families arriving and swells tiny now until possibly quick swell on the 26th . Yesterday wreck had 3 shoulder high sets on the pulse and 40 people out , kids , beginners and local kids . Cennigan’s head high today on sets . C grade wave for indo .

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Wednesday, 21 Jun 2023 at 2:28pm
groundswell wrote:

Jaya, an American guy, skater punk rocker used to hang at Twice tape shop. Married a Balinese lady.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Wednesday, 21 Jun 2023 at 2:31pm
andy-mac wrote:
groundswell wrote:

Jaya, an American guy, skater punk rocker used to hang at Twice tape shop. Married a Balinese lady.

Sorry just realised you'd posted,

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 21 Jun 2023 at 3:29pm

Yep andy Mac, you met him and know him? friendly and very funny bloke and used to rip as well as charge but getting older not surfing as much these days with no surf spots near his house..would like to show a few of his photos of him in way bigger supersuck pits than 6 foot..maybe 8foot? i dont know just about as big as supersuck gets and handles before 10-12 footers closeout the whole bay.

(saw that once and boat charters only just made it over one set..)

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Wednesday, 21 Jun 2023 at 4:58pm
groundswell wrote:

Yep andy Mac, you met him and know him? friendly and very funny bloke and used to rip as well as charge but getting older not surfing as much these days with no surf spots near his house..would like to show a few of his photos of him in way bigger supersuck pits than 6 foot..maybe 8foot? i dont know just about as big as supersuck gets and handles before 10-12 footers closeout the whole bay.

(saw that once and boat charters only just made it over one set..)

Wouldn't say I know him but did cross paths a couple of times ..
Miss 90's early 00's Bali... It was so good....

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 21 Jun 2023 at 5:09pm

Another fun old haunt from the 80s . 84-E4945-A-B19-F-4383-8-BB2-F678-AC33-B99-C

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Wednesday, 21 Jun 2023 at 5:30pm
Supafreak wrote:

Another fun old haunt from the 80s . 84-E4945-A-B19-F-4383-8-BB2-F678-AC33-B99-C

Haha used to be a nice little mission to go there through the rice fields, now gridlock!

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 21 Jun 2023 at 7:17pm

nice photo SF i had to enlarge photo to read chahng gooey warung haha

heres a few photos of the most fun shit wave in Sumbawa(on a day as good as it gets) but if sw -west winds is still fun as in mid to light onshores..I call it canggu on online facey etc.
Dont know why its ok in onshores, possibly because onshores make such a slow walled slow peeler wrap in on itself and bowl more..Well slow paced compared to supersuck and desert point that is.

Back when this was taken no locals surfed supersuck all the local groms only surfed here, Sumbawas canggu(playgrounds), or odd day at tropicals or yoyos.

also may as well post a photo of Jaya at somewhere between 6 and 8 foot supersuck..Just because its a sick shot and Jaya is a top bloke who has balls.
i think we became friends at first as i was always shaving my head bald at the barbers and he liked "romper stomper" the movie haha.

Ex fiance shot too,on left. i regret breaking up with her, but my income couldn't support her visa costs or even wedding and relationship visa agents told me minimum i need in bank is $20 000 aud to show i can support her for 12 months. even if i found her work, which i did ..$5000 going just on relationship or marriage visa-rip off!

Another minor problem is im an agnostic sort of dont beileve we should be told by other people (priests or high up popes etc )who god is or whatever and i had to become a Muslim to marry her in her parents eyes. Which now i would do to marry her.

She was a real catch..Only thing we did was kiss each other in the neck which to her was breaking rules but she said she felt like she was flying..i still think my life would have been better if we went through with marriage.

One other issue is a lot of Islamic Indonesian women get cut as babies/toddlers so don't have certain parts so women can not enjoy sex...Cruel and unnecessary practice in my eyes.

I can not appreciate thinking of some old pedo male or female "Imam" touching my girl as a baby and cutting her bits. barbaric!
Men who rape i can understand getting knob chopped but not harmless female children.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 21 Jun 2023 at 7:43pm
andy-mac][quote=Supafreak wrote:

Another fun old haunt from the 80s . 84-E4945-A-B19-F-4383-8-BB2-F678-AC33-B99-C[/q
Haha used to be a nice little mission to go there through the rice fields, now gridlock!

Yep they were the days alrighty

gggiiibbbo's picture
gggiiibbbo's picture
gggiiibbbo Thursday, 22 Jun 2023 at 9:00pm

I was on an island in northern Indonesia for a mate’s 50th last month that we were saying must’ve been how Bali was in the 80’s. Only went to Bali for the first time in 2001. This island was friendly, uncrowded/empty away from the popular spots, 2-6ft for a week, with great food & decent scenery. Getting off a plane & going straight to packed 3ft Ulu is the antithesis of surfing for me in 2023.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 22 Jun 2023 at 11:32pm

GPS coordinates please

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 23 Jun 2023 at 12:05am

This doggie got speared of penida today 2336-B4-F5-AF62-4253-8-FA8-39-A4809-E326-C

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 23 Jun 2023 at 7:30am

Whoa! What would that weigh?
Is he selling his catch and if so how much would he get for it?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 23 Jun 2023 at 8:19am
gggiiibbbo wrote:

I was on an island in northern Indonesia for a mate’s 50th last month that we were saying must’ve been how Bali was in the 80’s. Only went to Bali for the first time in 2001. This island was friendly, uncrowded/empty away from the popular spots, 2-6ft for a week, with great food & decent scenery. Getting off a plane & going straight to packed 3ft Ulu is the antithesis of surfing for me in 2023.

Aint that the truth, i love Bali one of the most amazing places in the world, people, culture, scenery, and in a sense the best variety of waves in one area in Indo, and im jealous i didn't experience it before the late 90s

But yeah it does my head in how people can go to Indo to surf the Bukit, but im thankful that many dont venture further, so many amazing areas still out there, there is even areas still pretty much free from commercial surf tourism where you can surf alone pretty much everyday.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 23 Jun 2023 at 8:22am

Yep Indo, it's a huge expansive archipelago, you just have to be a little savvy.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 23 Jun 2023 at 9:05am
Supafreak wrote:

Supafreak. Hi. Do you remember the old warung at Canggu,‘Chew & Spew’. We rocked up and the friendly Indo guy said surfing near the mouth of that creek will give you a sore throat and an ear infection, we didn’t heed the advice. Next day, one of us had a sore throat and one an ear infection, I escaped any ailment. Somewhere I’ve got a photo of that warung . How Bali has changed since the 80’s is beyond belief.
I hope you are getting waves and enjoying your surf holiday. All the best. AW

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 23 Jun 2023 at 9:38am

@Alfred Wallace , if you in large the photo you will see it written on the sign chew & spew . I got the photo from a fella called Rob H a gold coaster that Ive bumped into over the years . Their menu was a classic and at the bottom was written ‘ thank you for your coming ‘

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 23 Jun 2023 at 10:06am

@seeds , I’m guessing that fish weighs 50-60 kg , before covid you could buy dogtooth tuna for $3 a kg at fish markets . No idea what it costs now.

Dx3's picture
Dx3's picture
Dx3 Friday, 23 Jun 2023 at 10:08am

It's interesting, I've got a family trip to Bali in next few weeks, taking wife and kids there. Can't wait but just for the relaxation by the pool with them all and warm weather. I'll bring a board but overall not really that fussed about surfing. Helps I've had a heap of quality recently back home, but the thought of the volume & type of crowd I'll be copping, just doesn't get me amped for it.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 23 Jun 2023 at 11:14am

Edited post , see below

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 23 Jun 2023 at 11:06am

Great shots.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 23 Jun 2023 at 11:10am

I went & picked up my daughter yesterday from the wife’s village. Took the fast boat experience to save some time as long journey ahead and to and to give her a fun ride. We were doing 40knots in morning and 35 in afternoon. It’s pretty flat at the moment besides small waves at Cennigan’s . D84-DBE8-E-A41-A-4-C52-8-C59-03-CD22-EE0833
DADE2-AF4-C339-4-C9-C-B000-4379186-CE1-A0
A8-D21660-AB3-E-47-C6-A53-A-AEDFECD7782-C
D33565-D5-0-EDE-4-AB1-888-F-11-EDBC130-A8-D
A489-F48-F-95-EF-428-F-9-C1-E-5-A1-B2-C7-D2-BD7
88-AFAA88-BD05-481-D-8-FF2-15-BC7-D69-C7-CE

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 23 Jun 2023 at 12:30pm
Supafreak wrote:

This doggie got speared of penida today 2336-B4-F5-AF62-4253-8-FA8-39-A4809-E326-C

@seeds , I just got confirmation that it was 80kg & it was a tourist that speared it .

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Friday, 23 Jun 2023 at 12:42pm

I honestly think I have a lot more fun in Bali when I am not thinking about surfing. It's problematic and simplified, but it used to be that you could have the best of both worlds, and be surfing world class waves and then come back ashore to a thoroughly Balinese world. Now basically all the reliably good surf spots are this meaningless surf tourism cosmopolitanism where you could be basically anywhere on earth that caters to rich 40 year old white dudes.

Last year after persistent shitty weather on the Bukit, which I still think of as one of the most beautiful arenas to surf in imaginable (helps that I can't see more than 15m without my glasses on in the surf), I ditched the idea of surfing and just hung out elsewhere and it was still completely magic.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 23 Jun 2023 at 12:56pm

80kgs! that’s a big fish. Hopefully it fed a lot of people

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 23 Jun 2023 at 1:05pm

Some the best days on my recent trip were hanging out in Amed. Not concerned about surf at all and thoroughly relaxed in a laidback area. Snorkeling in the morning. Arvo siesta then Bintangs to finish the day with the sunset near Agung. Even had a Tuak sesh one evening with locals.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 23 Jun 2023 at 2:00pm

@seeds , love amed , relaxed old bali feel about the place . I’ve seen knee high lefts , perfect peelers running along the various headlands . Nice snorkeling straight of the beach .

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 23 Jun 2023 at 2:37pm
Supafreak wrote:

@Alfred Wallace , if you in large the photo you will see it written on the sign chew & spew . I got the photo from a fella called Rob H a gold coaster that Ive bumped into over the years . Their menu was a classic and at the bottom was written ‘ thank you for your coming ‘

Supafreak. Hi, thanks for the snap, ive got an old photo i will try and dig up, Chew & Spew was written/painted on the wall above the warung entrance, different to the sign you just eluded to me. Glad the name hadn’t changed.

Your daughter is beautiful, looks happy and content with life. How good it must be to hang out with her and the immediate family. Nicest people in the world.
Always happy, happy with what they’ve got and never unhappy with the things they don’t have, a good metaphor that could be applied to our rat race of a society. More power to you Supafreak, enjoy.

I’ve never been thanked for my ‘coming’.AW.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 23 Jun 2023 at 7:06pm
andy-mac wrote:
Island Bay wrote:

Bingin '88. Surfed with the same 4 guys every single session.

Paradise lost....

Looking through an old album and remembered IB posting bingin warung photos, this is around the same period 87-90 . Best board carriers in Bali I reckon, the road was a shocker. I’ve got 4 of the old bali style albums full of surfing photos that I can’t find , hope a tourist hasn’t knocked them off . 6-A4-F98-EA-9-C27-4531-9140-142-F43635-BE6
8-A67-BA8-B-1-B62-4-C45-BDDE-98-E00-C9-A653-C
04-C42411-477-D-452-C-BDAC-B612-B52-AFFBB
5-C38-C8-B1-19-F4-47-AF-867-C-6822313-DCD02
2408-DDC0-0611-4-A40-9-BFE-654268-A9-AC2-E

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 23 Jun 2023 at 7:36pm
Supafreak wrote:
andy-mac wrote:
Island Bay wrote:

Bingin '88. Surfed with the same 4 guys every single session.

Paradise lost....

Looking through an old album and remembered IB posting bingin warung photos, this is around the same period 87-90 . Best board carriers in Bali I reckon, the road was a shocker. I’ve got 4 of the old bali style albums full of surfing photos that I can’t find , hope a tourist hasn’t knocked them off . 6-A4-F98-EA-9-C27-4531-9140-142-F43635-BE6
8-A67-BA8-B-1-B62-4-C45-BDDE-98-E00-C9-A653-C
04-C42411-477-D-452-C-BDAC-B612-B52-AFFBB
5-C38-C8-B1-19-F4-47-AF-867-C-6822313-DCD02
2408-DDC0-0611-4-A40-9-BFE-654268-A9-AC2-E

Great pics!
Not a influencer in sight ..

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 24 Jun 2023 at 9:52am

This is anchored out the back of muntigs at the moment. Weekly charter 280,000 euros a week plus expenses . https://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/luxury-charter-yacht-25096/galileo-g.htm 88-B38-AD5-8-A6-F-4537-A2-F8-B2-A98-F2455-CA

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 24 Jun 2023 at 10:13am

Just read Lances Right area now having Ibiza Feeling....Faark .

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Saturday, 24 Jun 2023 at 11:07am

Great to see those old pics Supa

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 11:38am

What are the requirements to live permanently in Bali or Indo in general? Property/land purchase? Building a place? Ongoing costs etc?

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 12:02pm
Supafreak wrote:

This is anchored out the back of muntigs at the moment. Weekly charter 280,000 euros a week plus expenses . https://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/luxury-charter-yacht-25096/galileo-g.htm 88-B38-AD5-8-A6-F-4537-A2-F8-B2-A98-F2455-CA

I saw on Insta tai Graham the man behind single fin and the lawn was enjoying himself on that boat yesterday.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 12:16pm
burleigh wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

I saw on Insta tai Graham the man behind single fin and the lawn was enjoying himself on that boat yesterday.

It’s just leaving now , been anchored for about 3-4 days , currently battling the current off blue corner which runs at between 7-9 knots. 4-DED8-EA4-BAF9-4813-9289-C31180903-D51

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 12:23pm
seeds wrote:

What are the requirements to live permanently in Bali or Indo in general? Property/land purchase? Building a place? Ongoing costs etc?

Used to be easy depending on your plans.
Just a 6 month single entry business visa through agent does the job if you want to live in Bali, cannot work. Just need to fly out every 6 months and renew, people do this year upon year. If setting up business in Bali organise a KITAS, again agents can do this for you but more expensive.
There is also social/budaya visa which is similar to how single entry business visa works.
If over 55 I think you are eligible for retirement visa, just need proof of funds etc.
Anyway this info might be out of date, but there are visa agents in Bali that can sort it for you. Pay to stay basically.

Cannot buy land freehold legally, but there are many long term contracts. I've had a couple of villas in Bali built and sold that were lease hold. Never had issue except with actual building of place. Freehold needs to be Indonesian citizens. They do have a nominee system in Bali which as far as I understand is illegal where a foreigner buys freehold with Indonesian name, as nominee. The Indo citizen cannot control property though as another contract has them in debt to foreigner and needs their signature. Anyway something like that, but Indo law is you must be citizen to own land.
Wish Australia did the same ey.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 12:24pm

@seeds , there are lots of rules and requirements around retirement visa all which can be navigated around. Money basically gets you what you want . Don’t think the 5 year digital nomad visa has come in yet but I could be wrong . You can do it without an agent but if you make any application mistakes , then you forfeit your upfront payment . I’ve had a family kitas before being married to a local and multiple entry through an agent was $800 per year . It’s wording is confusing as I’m not supposed to work on it but can if I need to support family . Nothings black & white .

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 12:50pm

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. Doesn’t sound too bad. Stayed recently near Impossibles and sussed the old lady with the warung was sitting pretty with the Portuguese owned boho wankfest we stayed in was on her land. Always bought our beer off her. No one else did. I think I want to retire somewhere in SE Asia.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 1:03pm

Actually andy-mac, what were the issues building? Tradies or bureaucracy?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 1:29pm
seeds wrote:

Ha ha i can answer "all of the above and more"

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 1:34pm
seeds wrote:

Our original project contractor took off with second payment... Never to be seen again, hadn't paid his workers or supplier's, fled to Java then Malaysia apparently. So kind of cleaned us out, but we managed to get it done in end. Always stuck with Balinese after that. Pretty sketchy time but learned a lot. Did a few more successful projects after that, all in mid to late 00's.