I love Bali

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Thursday, 19 Mar 2015 at 6:55pm

I love Bali.

You wouldn't think that such a thought could be controversial . But it is.
Many people don't love Bali, in fact they proclaim to hate it. Bemoan what it has become, it's lack of purity, it's lost innocence.

Sure, I can see their point. I can't imagine anywhere on Earth that has been transformed as radically as Bali over the last thirty years. From rice paddies and coconut groves to six story discotheques . It's totally unrecognisable in the most built up areas.

But that's not what this post is about. It's about why I LOVE Bali.

I love Bali because ...

- it's still the home of an intense cluster of world class waves. Roping lefts : Uluwatu, freight train right barrels : Sanur, backlit mega tubes : Padang Padang. Rip able reefs, fun beachies. Short , slabby pits and long mellow points. River mouths and bombies. It's got the lot.

- it's still possible to get uncrowded quality waves in 2015 when it seems as though the entire planet has discovered surfing. I was trading crystal clear , rolling right walls with only two other surfers just this morning.

- it's still freaking beautiful. Watching the mist reveal Mt Agung in that unique Bali morning light from a black sand beach as the sun comes up is still special.

- the food is amazing. Walking around town building up a hunger and knowing that at any given time you are within shouting distance of fresh, exotic and delicious meals with enough variety to make your head spin is priceless.

- the Balinese are legends. Friendly, happy and always keen for a joke. Unfailingly polite and welcoming. Healthy, spiritual and decent.

- the Balinese surfers rip their waves and they still own them. A visiting Brazilian would not think twice to drop in on an Aussie local at Kirra. But you won't see the same in Bali. The Balinese surfers are treated with the respect they deserve. Because as everyone knows, if they are not treated with respect there is consequences.

- the water is so warm it's like swimming in silken angels tears.

- telling people that you are going to Bali will often elicit a response along the lines of ......"why would you go to that traffic ridden, noisy shithole ?" And then as you're kicking back with a Bintang watching the sunset over Uluwatu you can imagine them sitting at lights in their car on their way home from work in Perth. Which , for those that have never been , is a noisy , traffic ridden shithole. And this makes me laugh. Which is something I enjoy doing.

- The fruit is incredible.

- despite the millions of tourists, the fast food franchises and the Aussie over familiarity with the joint it's still exotic. The smell of clove cigarettes, the ogo ogos of Nyepi, the Buddhist offerings , monkeys , food and language are all enticingly foreign.

- there is no overreaching nanny state. You want to ride your motorbike with all four of your children and the missus on the back...whilst texting. Go for it.

- you can live like a king on a regular Aussie income. Maybe not such a great benefit for the Balinese themselves though.

- it's close to Oz. Twenty hour plane ride and a shot at developing deep vein thrombosis.....ummm no thanks. It's actually faster to fly to Bali from Perth than it is to drive to Albany. You can fly from Port Hedland in less than two hours.

- you get an opportunity to regularly witness some of the most foolhardy behaviour imaginable on a daily basis. You ever seen a man being doubled on a motorbike through traffic whilst holding a large pane of glass ? What about seeing someone hold a nail between his bare fingers while his mate tries to grind the tip off it ? It's all there folks.

- you can see people making do with not much and making it work. An exhaust system held on with a T Shirt ? An outboard motor attached to a boat with no anchoring system, just held on with a man's brute force ? Why not ? It might not work forever but it'll usually get em over the line.

- the winds can blow offshore for months at a time and when they blow onshore, well , that just makes it offshore somewhere else. It's an island !

- you haven't seen glassy oceanic conditions till you've seen Indonesian sheet glass. It's like an oil slick. And if you're ever near Benoa Harbour that could well be what it is.

- old people are accorded the respect they deserve.

- it's exciting. It's a melting pot of the world. Wide eyed villages from remote Asia, jaded techno princesses from Russia, sleek surfy chicks from Canada , your next door neighbour from Ipswich....it's a party and everyone is invited.

Including YOU. I'll see you there. You can't miss me.

I'll be the sun burnt drunk in a head to toe Bintang ensemble with hair braids and a fresh tattoo of a unicorn across my back . Don't be shy. Come and say hello.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 1:39pm

And yeah @indo kind of right, it's pretty full on venture, but in hindsight was fun, learned a lot and did ok. We eventually managed a really good crew though. Painful dealing with PLN ( electricity). But just have to be patient and know when to pay and to whom for smooth dealings.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 1:47pm

It’s back already, heading over behind muntigs again to drop anchor. Might have some issues as the other day it sat against current at blue corner for 15 -20minutes before turning around and anchoring . 1-B524-B2-A-C37-F-4471-A219-9106605-CFCF9

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 1:56pm

So buying existing might be better. Does that mean buying foreign owned means buying the lease on the dirt? Or is that re negotiated? Or also, buying local owned you still lease the land but own the property?

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 1:58pm
Supafreak wrote:

It’s back already

not sure why supa, but that cracked me up!

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 1:58pm

Supa, I wish I was seeing that live. Although surf looks like when I was there.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 2:10pm
seeds wrote:

So buying existing might be better. Does that mean buying foreign owned means buying the lease on the dirt? Or is that re negotiated? Or also, buying local owned you still lease the land but own the property?

You can buy existing lease from lease holder you just take over what is left on long term lease. Eg they may have had 30 year lease and there is 17 years left you pay for the right to use that land. Hak Sewa. You could also nego with land owner if they wish to extend lease and get that contracted in sale . As it is once lease is finished the property goes back to land owner. I thought a good system as can get $$ to local family and they will end up having house built for their kids/grandkids.
I can only tell U my experience, and we finished our last project in 2011 so pretty out of date.
Reckon would have been some bargains with Covid in some areas, but now I hear the Bukit and Canggu are going nuts.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 2:11pm
seeds wrote:

Hit the wreck at daybreak 6.00am and already 10 guys out , big lulls and only 1/2 dozen overhead sets in 3 hours. Waited at one stage 30 minutes in between sets . Got about 7 waves in total . 3-4 ft has turned to 1ft inconsistent sets , mid tides at the moment. Yesterday arvo cennigan 4-5 ft . Forecast doesn’t look real flash until 6th July, fly out on 7th .

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 2:13pm
seeds wrote:

This site looks like good info source.
https://bali-home-immo.com/blog/17-bali-property-sale-terms-that-you-mus...

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 2:27pm

Thanks andy

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 2:31pm
Supafreak wrote:
seeds wrote:

Hit the wreck at daybreak 6.00am and already 10 guys out , big lulls and only 1/2 dozen overhead sets in 3 hours. Waited at one stage 30 minutes in between sets . Got about 7 waves in total . 3-4 ft has turned to 1ft inconsistent sets , mid tides at the moment. Yesterday arvo cennigan 4-5 ft . Forecast doesn’t look real flash until 6th July, fly out on 7th .

I think this was my problem. Not understanding the tides and swell direction and lulls on swells that have travelled so far.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 4:01pm

Nearly July and it’s blowing westerly today , weird.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 4:10pm

Weird here also this week

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 5:23pm
Supafreak wrote:

Nearly July and it’s blowing westerly today , weird.

That is weird.

If I hadn't had my accident, I'd be heading off to G-Land tomorrow for what looks like nine days of not much at all. Small mercies.

As it is, I've got a Bali family holiday beginning on the 6th which appears to precede a week of pretty big waves. Considering I've barely surfed in three months I've got a bit of work to do.

Ash's picture
Ash's picture
Ash Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 5:44pm

Yes westerly today, bit stange but it swings back tomorrow. Had a chat this arvo with an older than me crusty who just got back from g land, he says 6' and a bit bigger while here is 2', goes to show how much of a swell magnet g land is.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 8:43pm
Ash wrote:

Yes westerly today, bit stange but it swings back tomorrow. Had a chat this arvo with an older than me crusty who just got back from g land, he says 6' and a bit bigger while here is 2', goes to show how much of a swell magnet g land is.

I hope you’re right ash about the wind tomorrow because the forecast I’ve been looking at ( not swellnet ) had it as westerly first up then going sw again , it cleaned up this arvo after blowing sw throughout the middle of the day . Few fun ones late this afternoon .

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 9:17pm

It appears to be going south south east again in a few days.
Whats happening in Bali it hasnt lived up to its reputation
the last few years and this year its worst

Ash's picture
Ash's picture
Ash Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 9:20pm

Just going off the SN forecast, so far it's been accurate

Ash's picture
Ash's picture
Ash Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 9:22pm

Accurate for the wind, a little over for swell

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 27 Jun 2023 at 7:18am
udo wrote:

https://thebalisun.com/testing-finds-dangerous-bacteria-at-balis-most-po...

No surprise there.
Was looking at video yesterday on Bukit with all the new buildings along cliff front at bingin, impossibles, wheres all the sewerage going? Septic tanks overflowing?

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 27 Jun 2023 at 7:40am

Strong WNW this morning, commune school holidays crowd will be loving it at Keramas. Haven’t seen the floodlights on this last month, price of electricity might have killed it .

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 27 Jun 2023 at 8:19am

Winds should be good on Bukit by Midday- Head high sets at K this morning

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 1 Jul 2023 at 8:49am

Absolutely pissing down this morning and near flat surf , not the best first day of July I’ve seen . Huge cremations on lembongan today .

Stok's picture
Stok's picture
Stok Saturday, 1 Jul 2023 at 3:47pm

Anyone surfed around the Bukit in Oct? Got a family trip then and wondering how hard I should push to find somewhere closer to waves!

Done the off season and few times and have scored mostly, not shoulder though.

arcadia's picture
arcadia's picture
arcadia Saturday, 1 Jul 2023 at 4:00pm

I got decent waves with good winds late Oct, early Nov a few years back,

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 1 Jul 2023 at 4:21pm

October can be great , especially some gems along the nusa dua stretch but the way this year is going it’s a bit of a lottery .

Stok's picture
Stok's picture
Stok Saturday, 1 Jul 2023 at 4:56pm

Thanks Supa and Arcadia.....will try to base close to Ulus, at least it's not too far from the magnets and Nusa area.

Can't get much worse than it has been i guess!

juegasiempre's picture
juegasiempre's picture
juegasiempre Sunday, 2 Jul 2023 at 4:54am

Cool photos of Lembongan! I did a month there last year and it was our favourite place in Bali. Crazy to hear there's no swell because I was there about this time and it was solid the whole time and when it wasn't,
Cennigan was fun. Planning surf around high tide and dropping was a bit lame, but also good because there was surf time and the rest was family time. The locals ripped there too.

I'm heading back to Australia in September for a few months but the cost of living and waves has me already planning the next place. From the sounds of it though Bali is getting worse re: Russians and euro kooks.

Anyone want to add some positivity and let me know how they've scored recently? Also how are the prices compared to last year?

I would love to go exploring the rest of Indonesia but with a young family, I'm lucky to surf as much as I do.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 2 Jul 2023 at 9:49am

@juag , lake lembongan this morning, haven’t actually seen a wave break but that hasn’t stopped these guys from paddling out . At least the 36 hours of rain has stopped for now but more coming. Wednesday forward looks good. BF965585-4142-4-EE9-8-E84-BC0650984-DCB
edit …….. inflation on price of food is a worry and fuel has nearly doubled.

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Sunday, 2 Jul 2023 at 9:47am

Is a year ago recent enough? Around this time last year I spent a week in Legian and scored a fun rip bowl right out the front of a mates Hotel. It pumped just about every day with only a handful of people out. Surfed then chill at his pool. Can't get much better than that. Lower your expectations - if the reefs are too small, you can still score fun waves. I'm heading over next week. Probably just hang around Bukit - maybe do a couple of nights in Lembongan. (Never been). After a run of pretty good surf down in Vic, it'll be great to thaw out. Fuck it's been cold. P.S. Hope your ticker is OK and you're healthy again Supa.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 2 Jul 2023 at 9:57am

@icandig , you are walking into a good swell, well timed. The ticker is so far ok and have had some long sessions earlier in the holiday. Haven’t had any alcohol, didn’t want to risk bringing an episode on after reading of other peoples experience post SVT ablation. Have a great trip mate and hope you get barreled off ya nut .

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Sunday, 2 Jul 2023 at 12:39pm

Thanks Supa....I'll limiting alcohol to a couple of beers a night but feeling pretty good also. Looking forward to testing myself a bit. Cheers.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 2 Jul 2023 at 3:07pm

Bali or Lombok, or somewhere else, in second half of October? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Sunday, 2 Jul 2023 at 3:17pm
seeds wrote:

Bali or Lombok, or somewhere else, in second half of October? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Depends what you're looking for on your trip. If you want to surf and don't care about nightlife, then Lombok. But if you want waves and good food/party then Bali.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 2 Jul 2023 at 3:37pm

I’ll be 52 by then and travelling solo so no need for partying. More concerned about the change of seasons. I do like the idea of checking out Lombok. Never been and I don’t need A grade waves but want some waves.

ringostarr's picture
ringostarr's picture
ringostarr Sunday, 2 Jul 2023 at 4:31pm

Back in very late October 2001 a small group of us did a 7 day boat trip (organised in Bali rather than through one of the western surf travel agents) to western Sumbawa via Lembongan and Lombok. We had waves and decent winds for the duration with the highlight being a 5-6' swell hitting a name lefthander at the western end of Sumbawa. A light onshore when we arrived there in the avo of day 1 but morning of day 2 was offshore the whole time. 6-8 wave sets and I'm guessing 16+ second period and the whole lineup to ourselves. There is probably 1 or more land camp now in the area and it was probably an unseasonal swell (and maybe wind) but you can definitely still score in October

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Sunday, 2 Jul 2023 at 5:11pm

No waves in Bali after end of September, wouldn't waste my time ;)
Na it can pump.... Actually a lot more options with light winds and a likelihood of swell.
Last few years though seasons have been mixed up. Have had great OC in Oct...

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Sunday, 2 Jul 2023 at 6:14pm

I've had some of my best months and worst months in October. I remember one season that every weekend I had off work was 8'+ OC, with basically no wind all day long. Last year I went in October and I ended up packing my boards away after the second week and just going travelling. You just never know what you'll get but that can be really fun too!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 3 Jul 2023 at 8:25am

Whats going in your Boardbag Stuart ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 3 Jul 2023 at 8:33am
udo wrote:

Good question! So far, a 6'0" Electra by Gregory W, and a 6'4" assym by DP, but I'm tossing up taking a triple board bag and tossing in a 6'8", of which I have a few.

The hesitation, of course, is knowing that if I paddle out in bigger waves I'm more likely to hurt myself again, and if I don't have the equipment then I just won't paddle out.

Also, if you see someone fuckwit on Surfers Of Bali wearing a floatation best and looking like a Euro-kook then spare the payouts. I still can't lay on a board without pain.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 3 Jul 2023 at 9:03am

@stunet , can you bring some nice weather and waves with you , its howling northerlies this morning and still rain about plus zero swell. If it sounds like I’m whinging it’s because this is day 3 and still have 1 more day of this crazy July weather before hopefully things improve .

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 3 Jul 2023 at 9:40am

I should just be grateful for the little things and enjoy the moment. D7-FAA989-FD59-408-D-BB9-B-ACBD9-B9-EC69-F
94871525-0-F73-4-BE5-9-D77-09-D4-C11-F543-E

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 3 Jul 2023 at 10:23am
Supafreak wrote:

I should just be grateful for the little things and enjoy the moment. D7-FAA989-FD59-408-D-BB9-B-ACBD9-B9-EC69-F
94871525-0-F73-4-BE5-9-D77-09-D4-C11-F543-E

Yes supa, you could always be working outside in Victoria! I nearly froze to death last week I think

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 3 Jul 2023 at 10:57am
stunet wrote:
udo wrote:

Good question! So far, a 6'0" Electra by Gregory W, and a 6'4" assym by DP, but I'm tossing up taking a triple board bag and tossing in a 6'8", of which I have a few.

The hesitation, of course, is knowing that if I paddle out in bigger waves I'm more likely to hurt myself again, and if I don't have the equipment then I just won't paddle out.

Also, if you see someone fuckwit on Surfers Of Bali wearing a floatation best and looking like a Euro-kook then spare the payouts. I still can't lay on a board without pain.

Take it, always better to have a board and not needing it than not having one wishing you did!!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 3 Jul 2023 at 11:26am
andy-mac wrote:
stunet wrote:
udo wrote:

Take it, always better to have a board and not needing it than not having one wishing you did!!

Point is, I'd rather not have one and wish I did, then have one, use it, and break my ribs again.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 3 Jul 2023 at 11:36am

Stu what makes you think surfing bigger waves increases the injury risk?

I'd be more worried about having your rib cage tickled by an out of control VAL when its 2 foot and 1000 people out.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 3 Jul 2023 at 11:57am
goofyfoot wrote:

Stu what makes you think surfing bigger waves increases the injury risk?

I'd be more worried about having your rib cage tickled by an out of control VAL when its 2 foot and 1000 people out.

Travelling faster, hitting harder. Greater likelihood of not controlling how I fall.

I won't be surfing anywhere where it's crazily crowded.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 3 Jul 2023 at 12:02pm

Fair enough, cant argue with that

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 3 Jul 2023 at 12:27pm
stunet wrote:
andy-mac wrote:
stunet wrote:
udo wrote:

Point is, I'd rather not have one and wish I did, then have one, use it, and break my ribs again.

Fair enough... Listen to your body. Have had pretty bad rib injury myself, maybe not your league but was pretty much 6 months until could surf....
Enjoy but take it easy....
Enjoy!

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Monday, 3 Jul 2023 at 3:45pm

Good luck, Stu.
I'm not sure if there are good ways to fall that protect your ribs, but think about it beforehand and practice.

A few days after my hamstring injury my local looked very very tempting and predictable. With our Euro holiday three days away, I knew I could NOT aggravate the injury, meaning I had to control my right leg.

Apart from surfing ultra conservatively and making 90% of my waves, I crossed my ankles when caught inside or coming off, and also made sure to push my board shorewards and have my leg pointing the same way. It worked really well.