I love Bali

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Thursday, 19 Mar 2015 at 6:55pm

I love Bali.

You wouldn't think that such a thought could be controversial . But it is.
Many people don't love Bali, in fact they proclaim to hate it. Bemoan what it has become, it's lack of purity, it's lost innocence.

Sure, I can see their point. I can't imagine anywhere on Earth that has been transformed as radically as Bali over the last thirty years. From rice paddies and coconut groves to six story discotheques . It's totally unrecognisable in the most built up areas.

But that's not what this post is about. It's about why I LOVE Bali.

I love Bali because ...

- it's still the home of an intense cluster of world class waves. Roping lefts : Uluwatu, freight train right barrels : Sanur, backlit mega tubes : Padang Padang. Rip able reefs, fun beachies. Short , slabby pits and long mellow points. River mouths and bombies. It's got the lot.

- it's still possible to get uncrowded quality waves in 2015 when it seems as though the entire planet has discovered surfing. I was trading crystal clear , rolling right walls with only two other surfers just this morning.

- it's still freaking beautiful. Watching the mist reveal Mt Agung in that unique Bali morning light from a black sand beach as the sun comes up is still special.

- the food is amazing. Walking around town building up a hunger and knowing that at any given time you are within shouting distance of fresh, exotic and delicious meals with enough variety to make your head spin is priceless.

- the Balinese are legends. Friendly, happy and always keen for a joke. Unfailingly polite and welcoming. Healthy, spiritual and decent.

- the Balinese surfers rip their waves and they still own them. A visiting Brazilian would not think twice to drop in on an Aussie local at Kirra. But you won't see the same in Bali. The Balinese surfers are treated with the respect they deserve. Because as everyone knows, if they are not treated with respect there is consequences.

- the water is so warm it's like swimming in silken angels tears.

- telling people that you are going to Bali will often elicit a response along the lines of ......"why would you go to that traffic ridden, noisy shithole ?" And then as you're kicking back with a Bintang watching the sunset over Uluwatu you can imagine them sitting at lights in their car on their way home from work in Perth. Which , for those that have never been , is a noisy , traffic ridden shithole. And this makes me laugh. Which is something I enjoy doing.

- The fruit is incredible.

- despite the millions of tourists, the fast food franchises and the Aussie over familiarity with the joint it's still exotic. The smell of clove cigarettes, the ogo ogos of Nyepi, the Buddhist offerings , monkeys , food and language are all enticingly foreign.

- there is no overreaching nanny state. You want to ride your motorbike with all four of your children and the missus on the back...whilst texting. Go for it.

- you can live like a king on a regular Aussie income. Maybe not such a great benefit for the Balinese themselves though.

- it's close to Oz. Twenty hour plane ride and a shot at developing deep vein thrombosis.....ummm no thanks. It's actually faster to fly to Bali from Perth than it is to drive to Albany. You can fly from Port Hedland in less than two hours.

- you get an opportunity to regularly witness some of the most foolhardy behaviour imaginable on a daily basis. You ever seen a man being doubled on a motorbike through traffic whilst holding a large pane of glass ? What about seeing someone hold a nail between his bare fingers while his mate tries to grind the tip off it ? It's all there folks.

- you can see people making do with not much and making it work. An exhaust system held on with a T Shirt ? An outboard motor attached to a boat with no anchoring system, just held on with a man's brute force ? Why not ? It might not work forever but it'll usually get em over the line.

- the winds can blow offshore for months at a time and when they blow onshore, well , that just makes it offshore somewhere else. It's an island !

- you haven't seen glassy oceanic conditions till you've seen Indonesian sheet glass. It's like an oil slick. And if you're ever near Benoa Harbour that could well be what it is.

- old people are accorded the respect they deserve.

- it's exciting. It's a melting pot of the world. Wide eyed villages from remote Asia, jaded techno princesses from Russia, sleek surfy chicks from Canada , your next door neighbour from Ipswich....it's a party and everyone is invited.

Including YOU. I'll see you there. You can't miss me.

I'll be the sun burnt drunk in a head to toe Bintang ensemble with hair braids and a fresh tattoo of a unicorn across my back . Don't be shy. Come and say hello.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 17 Dec 2022 at 9:22am
andy-mac wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

Expat retirees ponder leaving Bali amid uncertainty over Second Home Visa ruleshttps://coconuts.co/bali/features/expat-retirees-ponder-leaving-bali-ami...

Could they just not do the Social/Budaya or Business visa? Just need to fly out of Indo every 6 months to Singas or somewhere else close, have these visas changed? I enjoyed heading to Singapore or Thailand for change of scenery when based up there.

Sounds like frank in the article is easily confused and having a bit of a whinge . There were a lot of stipulations on the original retirement visa that friends of mine were able to navigate around with the right agent. I’m sure it will sort itself out , nothing is ever straight forward in indo but you usually eventually get there . Wish they would wake up to a longer 3 months tourist visa like most countries have .

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 17 Dec 2022 at 9:35am
Supafreak wrote:
andy-mac wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

Expat retirees ponder leaving Bali amid uncertainty over Second Home Visa ruleshttps://coconuts.co/bali/features/expat-retirees-ponder-leaving-bali-ami...

Could they just not do the Social/Budaya or Business visa? Just need to fly out of Indo every 6 months to Singas or somewhere else close, have these visas changed? I enjoyed heading to Singapore or Thailand for change of scenery when based up there.

Sounds like frank in the article is easily confused and having a bit of a whinge . There were a lot of stipulations on the original retirement visa that friends of mine were able to navigate around with the right agent. I’m sure it will sort itself out , nothing is ever straight forward in indo but you usually eventually get there . Wish they would wake up to a longer 3 months tourist visa like most countries have .

Yep 3 month tourist visa seems no brainer. Then again Bali not quiet!

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 17 Dec 2022 at 9:41am

Wait until the Chinese start ramping up again with 4-5 coaches in a convoy visiting the sights. A train ring roading Bali has always sounded like a good idea but just another dream with no funding for it .

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 17 Dec 2022 at 9:55am
Supafreak wrote:

Wait until the Chinese start ramping up again with 4-5 coaches in a convoy visiting the sights. A train ring roading Bali has always sounded like a good idea but just another dream with no funding for it .

Want a time machine!

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 21 Dec 2022 at 9:22pm

I heard flights were going to become more expensive and they weren’t wrong . When virgin announced they were flying direct Gold Coast to Bali I yelled you fucking beauty, about time . So I booked months ago and got return flights 23kg each ( oversize luggage no extra ) and choice of seats plus free change of tickets with 2 weeks notice, plus returning at the end of school holidays all for $1800 , 2adults one child. It’s 6 months until we fly and just received a change of flights notice from Virgin. Now instead of leaving at 1740 direct to Bali, we leave at 1355 to Bali via Melbourne and get in 20 minutes earlier than originally. So I excepted their changes after looking at flights and now all Gold Coast flights are going via Melbourne and same dates , if you book now will now cost $3037 . Glad I booked early . Checked direct flights from Brisbane to Bali with Jetstar and currently for 3 of us with 20kg each and oversized luggage same dates came to $4500 . Virgin possibly, to be notified 6 months out from flights , virgin have lost their slot at Gold Coast airport. Just waiting now for what’s happening on return flight…… only one more sleep before I pick up my 2 DS’s woohoo

FriarTuck's picture
FriarTuck's picture
FriarTuck Saturday, 24 Dec 2022 at 12:01pm
Supafreak wrote:

I heard flights were going to become more expensive and they weren’t wrong . When virgin announced they were flying direct Gold Coast to Bali I yelled you fucking beauty, about time . So I booked months ago and got return flights 23kg each ( oversize luggage no extra ) and choice of seats plus free change of tickets with 2 weeks notice, plus returning at the end of school holidays all for $1800 , 2adults one child. It’s 6 months until we fly and just received a change of flights notice from Virgin. Now instead of leaving at 1740 direct to Bali, we leave at 1355 to Bali via Melbourne and get in 20 minutes earlier than originally. So I excepted their changes after looking at flights and now all Gold Coast flights are going via Melbourne and same dates , if you book now will now cost $3037 . Glad I booked early . Checked direct flights from Brisbane to Bali with Jetstar and currently for 3 of us with 20kg each and oversized luggage same dates came to $4500 . Virgin possibly, to be notified 6 months out from flights , virgin have lost their slot at Gold Coast airport. Just waiting now for what’s happening on return flight…… only one more sleep before I pick up my 2 DS’s woohoo

Virgin Boxing Day sale $479 GC to Bali return.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 24 Dec 2022 at 12:38pm

@Friar Tuck , just looked online and no flights available on boxing day next day 27 th dec is via Melbourne then Darwin and starts from $1572 without the return leg included. Direct flights from GC to Bali were originally going to commence on March 29 2023 but it’s all changed. I called virgin and asked why the change and apparently my flight that doesn’t leave for 6 months has been changed via Melbourne for “ aircraft maintenance “ hahaha ……yeah right. https://www.virgin.com/about-virgin/latest/surfs-up-virgin-australia-ann... F9-A75922-1-F45-4080-BC17-A4-E3-CCED7822

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 24 Dec 2022 at 12:22pm

Friar got a link to them..?

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 24 Dec 2022 at 12:47pm

@udo , here’s the link, might have been a clickbait , airlines seem to be doing some shonky shit lately. https://www.finder.com.au/virgin-australia-boxing-day-sale-2022 and I read it wrong as boxing day sale not necessarily flight on Boxing Day

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 24 Dec 2022 at 12:49pm

Cheers Supa...pricks eh..still around $1100 return out of Bne with Batik at moment...limited seats avail.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 24 Dec 2022 at 1:00pm
udo wrote:

Cheers Supa...pricks eh..still around $1100 return out of Bne with Batik at moment...limited seats avail.

Still be worth checking the boxing day sale with virgin but be early and prepared to go via Melbourne, I also re-read that article again and boards are free if in “ hard case “ whatever that means . The Virgin Australia Boxing Day sale kicks off on 26 December at 12.01am AEDT and will be available on the https://www.finder.com.au/redirect/travel/virgin-australia-secure.html “ There's good news if you want to travel with your board: you could fly with it for free. Surfboards in a protective hard case bag that weigh less than 23kg and are shorter than 3m incur no excess baggage fees when you book a Choice or Flex fare with Virgin Australia. “

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 24 Dec 2022 at 5:33pm

Qantas ...24 delay DPS to Syd...wtf has happened to Qantas..turned to shit
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-24/passengers-stranded-qantas-flight...

FriarTuck's picture
FriarTuck's picture
FriarTuck Sunday, 25 Dec 2022 at 5:58am
udo wrote:

Run by a pro vax gay unicorn

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 25 Dec 2022 at 8:28am

The G-land tower.. Well done WSL. Fckwits.

33-E5-ADE3-6-B70-4-ADE-9-B8-D-BA0-FF4202346

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Sunday, 25 Dec 2022 at 9:05am
udo wrote:

Don't worry, the CEO will get another nice bonus!!

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 26 Dec 2022 at 12:39pm
udo wrote:

In all fairness you can’t blame Qantas for the weather in Bali.

And those who got diverted travelling to London what’s better. They make an emergency landing safely or keep going and risk the plane crashing? I know what I’d rather.

Goofy4's picture
Goofy4's picture
Goofy4 Tuesday, 27 Dec 2022 at 5:58pm

"I heard flights were going to become more expensive and they weren’t wrong ....." it's being convincingly argued by some that the halcyon days of cheap travel are to become done and dusted for a variety of environmental and social reasons. Fergal Smith seems to have twigged a good while back......Found this a pretty interesting listen on the subject -
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/saturdayextra/cheap-touris...

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Tuesday, 27 Dec 2022 at 7:09pm

$479 return from GC seems like a bargain. Anyone get on?

FriarTuck's picture
FriarTuck's picture
FriarTuck Wednesday, 28 Dec 2022 at 8:25am
burleigh wrote:

only for jabbers?

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 28 Dec 2022 at 6:13pm

Qantas and Jetstar are having a competition on who can set the lowest bar . https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-28/jetstar-flight-melbourne-bali-ret... Happy holidays

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Wednesday, 28 Dec 2022 at 6:14pm
FriarTuck wrote:
burleigh wrote:

only for jabbers?

Jabba The Hutt AKA roadkill

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 28 Dec 2022 at 6:29pm
Supafreak wrote:
Qantas and Jetstar are having a competition on who can set the lowest bar . https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-28/jetstar-flight-melbourne-bali-ret... Happy holidays[/quote
Jetstar owned by Qantas
udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 4 Jan 2023 at 10:29am
donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Wednesday, 4 Jan 2023 at 3:54pm
udo wrote:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cm86aaBDXZy/

Yep. When they stop running the boats due to bad weather best to listen to them. They know what their boats can handle. Apparently this was one of the few boats operating whilst most stop due to the weather.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 6 Jan 2023 at 12:53pm

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advice/flights/exciting-new-route-... Never let the truth get in the way of a promotion to rope a dope . I’ve had several back and forth emails with virgin now and they keep getting better . First one they apologised and said they couldn’t compensate me even though I never asked for it . They also had my flight dates out by 1 year and said I should have taken out insurance against the flight. I just asked that they be honest with customers and admit they never had direct flights approved from Gold Coast to Bali. Here’s a screenshot of the latest reply. 8-E51-B4-BF-86-D9-402-E-A943-BA3-B2-D7-F9-EA6 They also continue to advertise direct flights with a “ subject to government approval “ 61-F86-D32-BCF6-499-B-9-DD1-E957096279-F1 Them giving the excuse that they had to change the flight for operational issues or that they couldn’t fill the flight therefore they will go via Melbourne to fill the plane is pathetic and just outright lies as the flight doesn’t leave for 6 months, how could they know they can’t fill it ? It’s a shonky industry.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Friday, 6 Jan 2023 at 12:55pm

Shonky for sure.

They are still selling flights direct from GC to Bali.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Friday, 6 Jan 2023 at 2:01pm
Supafreak wrote:

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advice/flights/exciting-new-route-... Never let the truth get in the way of a promotion to rope a dope . I’ve had several back and forth emails with virgin now and they keep getting better . First one they apologised and said they couldn’t compensate me even though I never asked for it . They also had my flight dates out by 1 year and said I should have taken out insurance against the flight. I just asked that they be honest with customers and admit they never had direct flights approved from Gold Coast to Bali. Here’s a screenshot of the latest reply. 8-E51-B4-BF-86-D9-402-E-A943-BA3-B2-D7-F9-EA6 They also continue to advertise direct flights with a “ subject to government approval “ 61-F86-D32-BCF6-499-B-9-DD1-E957096279-F1 Them giving the excuse that they had to change the flight for operational issues or that they couldn’t fill the flight therefore they will go via Melbourne to fill the plane is pathetic and just outright lies as the flight doesn’t leave for 6 months, how could they know they can’t fill it ? It’s a shonky industry.

Their 3rd last paragraph sums it up really. Not making money on the flight hence cancel it.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 6 Jan 2023 at 2:12pm
donweather wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

Their 3rd last paragraph sums it up really. Not making money on the flight hence cancel it.

@don weather, I thought this quote was a classic “ We will ensure your feedback is registered and
should we add a Gold Coast to Bali direct service
the website would be updated accordingly. “ plus how can they possibly know they can’t make money on a flight that doesn’t leave until June ?

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 6 Jan 2023 at 2:34pm

Since that old cant remember his multi billioniare ,im jealous of and super over smiley charisma bloke yank guy owner and founder of Virgin, the airlines seems to be going downhill..Lat time i flew with them was 2010 in october, was only $410 from bali to sydney but they couldnt even give me a glass of water for free..Tried to sting everyone for water, heard one bogan yelling and bitching and moaning before realizing what he was probably on about..I only had some rupiah notes in my pocket and they only excepted USD or AUD...So went to toilet and swallowed my sleeping pills with warm toilet tap water..with in 20 mins Slept all the way home for 7 hours or whatever..

Sprout's picture
Sprout's picture
Sprout Friday, 6 Jan 2023 at 3:10pm

Cancelling my Optus mobile this week and they force you to online chat or call, had the time so thought, let's see how long this takes online chat while I watch the cricket. Stated straight up, please cancel service, no longer required, not interested in any offers, here's my details etc.

After 1h 20m on a message merry-go-round of them offering better deals and general rubbish comments, and me replying every single time, "NO. CANCEL." we'd gotten nowhere.

I was now bored of it so dropped the 3 magic letters which can miraculously summon great customer service with telcos, TIO.

"https://www.tio.com.au/complaints - I'm currently filling out a complaint to the TIO, we'll get them to cancel it shall we?".

I was immediately transferred to another person who cancelled my service in 3 minutes - so 1h 20m of BS for a 3 minute job.

My point being, is there anything similar to the TIO but for airlines that's actually effective?

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 6 Jan 2023 at 6:59pm

TIO, handy to know

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 6 Jan 2023 at 9:36pm
Sprout wrote:

My point being, is there anything similar to the TIO but for airlines that's actually effective?

Yeah TIO will remember that one as for tips, all i know is "operator" sometimesw by passes all the robotic voices..Thats all i know and tried though...centrelink too.

mickseq's picture
mickseq's picture
mickseq Friday, 6 Jan 2023 at 10:45pm

The answer to solving your airline headaches is simple, stop flying b grade airlines and start flying something like Singapore airlines. You can fly out of any major city in Australia, they have the best service and business class seats, they are reliable, and you get to stop in Singapore for a beer and some nasi lemak.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 7 Jan 2023 at 7:38am
mickseq wrote:

The answer to solving your airline headaches is simple, stop flying b grade airlines and start flying something like Singapore airlines. You can fly out of any major city in Australia, they have the best service and business class seats, they are reliable, and you get to stop in Singapore for a beer and some nasi lemak.

If I could afford $5600 to fly my wife , daughter and myself to Bali then I would definitely go Singapore airlines even though it encounters 2 stops and have to use scoot on one of those legs , unfortunately I haven’t got that money for an A grade airline ( spent it on surfboards )

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Saturday, 7 Jan 2023 at 7:50am
Supafreak wrote:
mickseq wrote:

If I could afford $5600 to fly my wife , daughter and myself to Bali then I would definitely go Singapore airlines even though it encounters 2 stops and have to use scoot on one of those legs , unfortunately I haven’t got that money for an A grade airline ( spent it on surfboards )

A 6 hour flight turns into a 12 hour flight and you gotta pay double for it.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 7 Jan 2023 at 8:14am
burleigh wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
mickseq wrote:

Its closer to triple and 16 hours but I’m sure the Singapore beer and nasi lemak will make it all worth it

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Saturday, 7 Jan 2023 at 8:28am
Supafreak wrote:
burleigh wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
mickseq wrote:

Its closer to triple and 16 hours but I’m sure the Singapore beer and nasi lemak will make it all worth it

And you get to tell strangers you flew Singapore airlines for a bit of imaginary credibility

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 7 Jan 2023 at 8:36am
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 7 Jan 2023 at 8:43am
Supafreak wrote:
burleigh wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
mickseq wrote:

Wish Garuda still did BNE to DPS route. Never had drama with them except when they cancelled route, was left with return ticket to BNE couldn't use. :/

FriarTuck's picture
FriarTuck's picture
FriarTuck Saturday, 7 Jan 2023 at 11:37am

Bali Solve on instagram have posted no double whammy needed for entry to Indonesian now.
Finally.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Saturday, 7 Jan 2023 at 6:26pm
FriarTuck wrote:

Bali Solve on instagram have posted no double whammy needed for entry to Indonesian now.
Finally.

There has been a few more people post now, but i'm waiting until something official happens.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 7 Jan 2023 at 6:54pm

You cant be farken serious ?

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Saturday, 7 Jan 2023 at 7:08pm
udo wrote:

See if you can find it on bitchute for me Udo

FriarTuck's picture
FriarTuck's picture
FriarTuck Sunday, 8 Jan 2023 at 8:21am
burleigh wrote:
udo wrote:

See if you can find it on bitchute for me Udo

pretty sure he will drop a link and run as per usual

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 8 Jan 2023 at 8:42am

Yeh sure - Would a legit link to latest Indonesian Travel Requirements be o.k.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Sunday, 8 Jan 2023 at 2:01pm
udo wrote:

That would work for me!!

FriarTuck's picture
FriarTuck's picture
FriarTuck Sunday, 8 Jan 2023 at 4:19pm
udo wrote:

gotta keep the narrative going eh, what are you sacred of now?

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Sunday, 8 Jan 2023 at 4:38pm