Snapper, Greeny, Kirra. Could the Crowd get WORSE - YEP!

spookypt's picture
spookypt started the topic in Monday, 1 Sep 2014 at 10:43am

So with everyone's (or should I say some more than others) arms weary from last weeks swell event a few mates and I got to thinking over the weekend.

There's been a bit of flack over the net about certain well known locals using ski's to the benefit of their respective wave count. Certainly a few of those "amazing" barrels were assisted on entry and with the crowd as it was, I'm not sure how the jet ski rules apply (?). So, seemingly as they don't for some...my mates decided this.

We're not south end locals but surf down there when, as was the case last week, there wasn't a lot of other options and with the media calling it best ever for such a long time who could blame us being bees to the honey pot.

So, we all decide to throw in some money to the total of say $100k = Say 10 jet skis +/- worth. We rent each ski at a hourly intervals. Say 8 hrs for each 10 hr day conservatively at $500ph giving each client 10 waves + for the hour. At 8 clients per day x $500 an hr = $4000 x 10 skis = $40k x 4 days = 160k!!!

Lets deduct fuel, rego, insurance (what insurance?) misc crap and lets say we use up all the $60k that's left. That's till leaves us 361 days of the year to make money and piss off everyone on the east coast.

Now the irony is, none of us are advocating this should be done BUT if some crew can, pro or not, than surely all crew can.

I didn't get burned by any ski's during the last swell, but a few did. Andy Mac and Co are pushing for the area as a surfing sanctuary surely everyone here who gets the benefit of its use should be entitled to the same opportunities. Its either going to be sore arms for all or we'll end up with everyone having jet ski assist (like the example above) instead of only the few now who IMO shouldn't. I personally think the pro guys should set this example or otherwise they may be sorry for the trend they started.

Just a thought I'd throw out to all. Flame suit on................

Spookypt

spookypt's picture
spookypt's picture
spookypt Wednesday, 3 Sep 2014 at 11:24am

Plenty of skis being used here.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Wednesday, 3 Sep 2014 at 5:32pm

Don't get it how jet skis are permitted so close to surfers in the line up by the police or by the car park mafia.

Why aren't local surfers up in arms about this? If not, why not and who and what industry insiders are getting the benefit from this?

You surfers up there need to take a stand.

spookypt's picture
spookypt's picture
spookypt Wednesday, 3 Sep 2014 at 5:38pm

Floyd I'm surprised considering the amount of coverage that swell event generated that after 2 and a bit days yours is the only comment the topic has generated. Really quite strange.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 3 Sep 2014 at 5:45pm

It's a freekn circus.... "Come one come all"....... I'd rather be Ron Jeremy's bitch than have to surf there....

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Wednesday, 3 Sep 2014 at 10:09pm

Hey Spookypt, your surprise sort of supports my view of the average surfer i.e. not the sharpest tool in the toolbox. Most would think it a privilege to be told "g'day mate" by a pro or a hot surfer in the lineup while being snaked, again, for the next set wave. These guys should be told to fuck off .... its the same issue with contests taking over breaks for a fortnight at a time, generally when the best waves will break. What gives the industry these rights? .... don't get me started.

Damothediver's picture
Damothediver's picture
Damothediver Wednesday, 3 Sep 2014 at 7:15pm

Those of us who live on the goldy know that crowds are just a fact of life that you have to get used to if you want to surf here.I don't even bother to surf further south than Burleigh anymore......and only there when it too big up the other end or blown out. The fact that it is the most densely surfer populated place in the world doesn't make it alright for a few to get in there and kill everyone else's buzz with their greed.

Earlier in the year when the circus was in town, I guess it was a lay day, i was at TOS, had paddled over pretty much in the dark to get a few earliy ones when a few minutes after sunrise a charter boat with 2 skis in tow pulled up. It was full of pros and they proceeded to jump off the boat onto a ski, come into the lineup for a couple of step off and then go back to the boat to swap with the others. It was only 4-5 feet and it was totally unnecessary to use a ski.
They were behaving rudely and dangerously and when lees than politely told by some of the guys to go up the beach they took a couple more for good measure.....bu then did go north up the beach awsay from the crowd.

The fact is that they are the ambassadors for the sport we all love, the kids look up to them and they should take this responsibility seriously and lead by example instead of behaving obnoxiously and dangerously.

Rant over...

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Wednesday, 3 Sep 2014 at 7:45pm

Don't ever, ever expect a sportsman and sportswoman to be an ambassador or role model, the truth is for the vast majority if it weren't for their sports skill they would be otherwise unemployable. Thick as bricks.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 3 Sep 2014 at 7:50pm
Sheepdog wrote:

It's a freekn circus.... "Come one come all"....... I'd rather be Ron Jeremy's bitch than have to surf there....

haha Sheepio.
Thats a big call:)

Aussie_Adam's picture
Aussie_Adam's picture
Aussie_Adam Wednesday, 3 Sep 2014 at 7:56pm

www.msq.qld.gov.au/safety/personal-watercraft.aspx probably a lot of the time they are breaking the law

Coops70's picture
Coops70's picture
Coops70 Wednesday, 3 Sep 2014 at 8:00pm

Surfers are sheep most of of em anyway

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 3 Sep 2014 at 9:29pm
Damothediver wrote:

Those of us who live on the goldy know that crowds are just a fact of life that you have to get used to if you want to surf here.I don't even bother to surf further south than Burleigh anymore......and only there when it too big up the other end or blown out. The fact that it is the most densely surfer populated place in the world doesn't make it alright for a few to get in there and kill everyone else's buzz with their greed.

Earlier in the year when the circus was in town, I guess it was a lay day, i was at TOS, had paddled over pretty much in the dark to get a few earliy ones when a few minutes after sunrise a charter boat with 2 skis in tow pulled up. It was full of pros and they proceeded to jump off the boat onto a ski, come into the lineup for a couple of step off and then go back to the boat to swap with the others. It was only 4-5 feet and it was totally unnecessary to use a ski.
They were behaving rudely and dangerously and when lees than politely told by some of the guys to go up the beach they took a couple more for good measure.....bu then did go north up the beach awsay from the crowd.

The fact is that they are the ambassadors for the sport we all love, the kids look up to them and they should take this responsibility seriously and lead by example instead of behaving obnoxiously and dangerously.

Rant over...

Their sponsors should fine them, just like another elite sportsman/woman.
Ooooops did I say elite....?

finback's picture
finback's picture
finback Thursday, 4 Sep 2014 at 8:49am

Was that Baddy that was burnt at the 5.50 minute?

spookypt's picture
spookypt's picture
spookypt Thursday, 4 Sep 2014 at 9:05am

I'd like to see a surf journo run a story on this issue of sorts. My initial topic was not to point specifically to the pros, although they do seemingly have the fiscal depth to purchase the stink boats for this specific use.
There were heaps of guys, not necessarily top 44 pros hanging off the backs of these skis doing the drag around.
Its not about bagging out a pro, although as in many sports there are bad eggs amongst em, its more so about the etiquette and protocol we so often desire as being an inherent part of the surfing passion that is so blatantly blown out the water when events like this occur. If the good guys set the example, then it is a lot harder for rest of the crowd to do any different....

You watch it blow up when I rock up with my trailer with 10 jet ski's on it and all and sundry jumping on board to try and at least equal the wave count that the few are dominating now. It'll be a shit storm.

So stupid and narrow minded in my view when such a great opportunity exists to create a precedent. Lets face it, the pro's will catch far more waves on any given day than anyone else generally just based on their fitness and skill. To throw in the cheat ski to frustrate the balance of the guys all busting their guts to just stay in position is really arrogant and not to the benefit of the greater surfing community.

But I'm just a 1 bloke who refuses to buy Bong and Curl and all the other name brands because I don't wanna wear what these guys are doing. Wonder how many more feel the same?

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Thursday, 4 Sep 2014 at 9:38am

Good fellow spooky but it will not happen, possibly best expressed thus ……..

Surf Gravy Train = High profile/volume board makers + High profile surf brands (clothes, gadgets, sunnies, shoes, you name it) + Top 44 circus + glossy surf media + surf travel industry + assorted hanger-ons.

Number one rule of the gravy train is DON'T SHIT ON THE GRAVY TRAIN so please don't expect the surf media to take this or any other issue up (like drug use/dependance in the top 44 circus) in any sort of serious manner.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 4 Sep 2014 at 9:44am

floyd wrote:

so please don't expect the surf media to take this or any other issue up

Not sure if Swellnet constitutes 'surf media' or not, anyway I've already researched and written an article:

https://www.swellnet.com/news/surfpolitik/2011/06/14/gopro-and-no-tow

"It's important for frustrated paddle surfers to know that with a GoPro they are armed with the tools to charge tow surfers breaking the law."

Slight difference between NSW and QLD laws, but the final say is this: "None of the states mentioned above [QLD, NSW, and VIC] allow tow surfing when there are paddle surfers in the water. There are no exceptions to this rule."

spookypt's picture
spookypt's picture
spookypt Thursday, 4 Sep 2014 at 9:55am

Hey Stu, I remember that article... its interesting from there till now, some 3 + years later, trying to evaluate exactly what has been achieved and established in the general surfing population about their use.

From the examples set last week sadly I'd say very very little. From the comments above, Its hard to find anyone arguing in the "for" camp. Most if not all are totally against the concept not to mention what the STH end of the Goldy has become. Oustide Log Cabins sure.....but 4 foot sand bottom point breaks is just dumb.

In a way, what Floyd suggests about not $hitting in ones nest, is already happening. The dudes doing it are killing it and turning a lot of people off. Short term its working as people void off even considering going......but when the 10 ski trailer rocks up those doing it now will know that there's no turning back and they wont have a leg to stand on. Its just arrogance.

Sad on all fronts.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 4 Sep 2014 at 10:04am
wellymon wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:

haha Sheepio.
Thats a big call:)

That's not the only thing that's "big", welly ;)

Yep , the "look at me look at me" crew..... Narcissism..... Selfishness..... Utube go pro heroes..... The old "show us photo's or it didn't happen" comes back to bite the hand that fed it.....

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 4 Sep 2014 at 2:27pm

While swellnet likes to bag hipsters (maybe rightly so) I see the whole retro movement as a backlash to the culture the surf industry has created. An elitist bunch of arrogant self important morons so far removed from the average Joe surfer that even Joe has little respect or in common with the pros etc anymore The industry got away with this for a long time by creating heroes and personalities that impress the not so intellectually gifted as Floyd points out but even Joe is waking up hence the plummeting sales for the big brands, and the reality check that stunets ratings for pro contests article brought about. Only die hards are watching and even a lot them care little for their condescending marketing machine. The unsustainable gravy train needs to wake up and pull its head in before it loses the kids altogether. But maybe that would be good thing, the machine got too big too quick and even fooled themselves for a while that's why the gurus didn't see the crash. This latest jet ski thing just shows the industry has lost touch, selling some brotherhood bullshit while burning their brothers as it suits them. As others have said they should be setting the example, not cool. And seriously doesn't Joel parkinson and co feel just an inkling of guilt? Just a little feeling that something wasn't right about that behaviour. One would hope so.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Thursday, 4 Sep 2014 at 2:53pm

Hey Stu, Swellnet excluded. These forums and articles, as mentioned, are great.

So if its against the law why isn't policed? Has someone bothered to ask the cops that question in the sunny state?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 4 Sep 2014 at 3:10pm

Unfortunately it seems the onus is upon the paddle surfers to come forth and provide evidence. There's a lot of people who don't like it, I'd count myself among them, but few who are willing to record it and take the relevant footage to the authorities.

Surfers, it would appear, are happy to complain but less eager to take real action.

Interesting bit of info from Fitz RE losing your PWC license in QLD means you also lose your drivers license.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 4 Sep 2014 at 3:30pm

Ironically in the 90,s Jets skis were at the top of the surf magazines hate list in particular tracks.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 4 Sep 2014 at 3:35pm

As a grom I used to get my surfboard confiscated for a few hours by the local clubbies for surfing between the flags and possibly being a danger to swimmers.........The Mad Hueys and others can get away with way worse.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Thursday, 4 Sep 2014 at 4:16pm

See that's where policing is wrong, the Inspector Wiggums of the world need to be proactive, you know, foresee problems before they arise and act accordingly. If Numbnut Newman surfed I bet he would be onto it. Same with speed cameras, don't mind them but get some cops out on the highways booking dick heads hogging the righthand lane .... saves road rage and tail-gating which are both potentially fatal acts.

Perhaps some of you ambivalent folk up on the Goldy need to start writing to your LGA or local state member asking them to ask the cops, of course that assumes (1) the will and/or (2) ability to put pen to paper.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Thursday, 4 Sep 2014 at 6:37pm

Spooky,

I have an answer. According to Stu you need to have evidence of law breaking before the cops will act.

Well, just go down to the local cop-shop and show them how to use the internet and direct them to the Swellnet website. Once there ask them to watch the front page link called "Kirra done mad". Lots of evidence there and they even name themselves.

Job done, precedent set!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 4 Sep 2014 at 6:13pm

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Thursday, 4 Sep 2014 at 6:36pm

udo? why delete?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 4 Sep 2014 at 7:20pm

Checked the vid again and came up with a diff rego no: on one ski to what I first got so not a 100% true i.d. I guess if the authorities are interested they will have clearer zoom capabilities than my dinosaur computer.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 4 Sep 2014 at 7:25pm

This issue has come up a few times in these forums and the sensible solution of reporting to the police always comes up eventually. but no one does because most surfers are pretty cool about working their own shit out and there is some unwritten codes of behaviour. But the pros and their sheeplike entourage have shown they feel they are above apparent codes of conduct and can do what they want. No one wants to dog a mate but these guys are dogging the whole line up every time they do this shit. I say good on em whoever has the balls to challenge them. It'd be nice to see these guys lose their drivers license in the process because its not just selfish its fucken dangerous noisy and smelly and generally ruins the whole experience for those that play by the rules.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 4 Sep 2014 at 7:37pm

Not to mention dangerous for other surfers.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 4 Sep 2014 at 7:47pm

@Jug your a tow man at times what do think ?

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 4 Sep 2014 at 8:04pm
sypkan wrote:

This issue has come up a few times in these forums and the sensible solution of reporting to the police always comes up eventually. but no one does because most surfers are pretty cool about working their own shit out and there is some unwritten codes of behaviour. But the pros and their sheeplike entourage have shown they feel they are above apparent codes of conduct and can do what they want. No one wants to dog a mate but these guys are dogging the whole line up every time they do this shit. I say good on em whoever has the balls to challenge them. It'd be nice to see these guys lose their drivers license in the process because its not just selfish its fucken dangerous noisy and smelly and generally ruins the whole experience for those that play by the rules.

Third that one Sypkan.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Thursday, 4 Sep 2014 at 8:44pm

...... ????

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 4 Sep 2014 at 9:25pm

So who is bidding for the tow ski concession? Surely the next stage.

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Thursday, 4 Sep 2014 at 9:45pm

Ban jet skis. Noisy filthy polluting things they are. Oh and the bogans too that love that rubbish. The surf needs a big clean up in my opinion. Suck up all the jet skis, bogans, and ego driven wankers that are ruining and poisoning the ocean.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 4 Sep 2014 at 10:46pm
floyd wrote:

...... ????

Second that.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Thursday, 4 Sep 2014 at 11:03pm

Burn them, and the goldy with them. Place needs a cleansing.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Friday, 5 Sep 2014 at 8:37am

I was on Big Groyne when Mayor Tom Tate and Chief Lifeguard Warren Young were doing a TV interview. They were going to rattle on about how the waves were good because of the work done on the groyne, until I explained that it was mainly due to swell direction and that not as much sand is being pumped. They then commented on how good it was to see the jet skis being used and I told them that in fact it was illegal as they are not allowed within 200 metres of swimming, I told Warren he should have known this. The TV crew were keen to follow this up but it got suggested it would be better to focus on the benefits of the good surf. I agreed and said that the story should remind surfers of the jet ski laws and in fact Warren, as chief lifeguard, had a duty to do this. What do you reckon happened? Sign of the times here, may have to consider a place far from the maddening crowd or find myself a good therapist-OM, OM OM.

alakaboo's picture
alakaboo's picture
alakaboo Friday, 5 Sep 2014 at 11:19am

Just called Qld Maritime on the Gold Coast and asked if they'd had any complaints, the answer was no.

Also pointed out that it can be hard to prove the offence from video. Have to get the rego and also proof of speed (evidence of wake etc.) and proximity. So you need a fixed reference point. I assume that there are cameras with GPS positioning in the metadata, so you can reference to a point on land.

Looking at the vid that Spookypt linked up the top, there are 2 clear offences in speed and proximity. One with the blue ski at 4:50 or so and one with the step-off at around the 6min mark.
But I can't see a rego on them, maybe some of the visual editors can grab something.

Maybe people should just start burning the guys who get towed in when it is paddle-sized. i.e. pretty much always. Should get the message across fairly quickly.

Or maybe a shame campaign like that speeding one.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Friday, 5 Sep 2014 at 11:34am
alakaboo wrote:

Maybe people should just start burning the guys who get towed in when it is paddle-sized. i.e. pretty much always. Should get the message across fairly quickly.

Good idea, as there isn't much burning going on already in the GC region :)

In all seriousness, I don't think that dobbing into the cops is cool, but a subtle reminder to them that you have rego details and video evidence to provide to the authorities if they continue, may be enough to do the trick. And that a suspension of a PWC licence also includes a suspension of ALL licences (vehicle, boat, motorbike etc).

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 5 Sep 2014 at 11:48am

Lets see what happens next swell, where do they launch there skis ?

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Friday, 5 Sep 2014 at 11:55am

Tweed??

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 5 Sep 2014 at 12:10pm

fitzroy-21 wrote:

[In all seriousness, I don't think that dobbing into the cops is cool, but a subtle reminder to them that you have rego details and video evidence to provide to the authorities if they continue, may be enough to do the trick.

Not to prefigure the jet ski drivers intellect or civic duty, but I just don't think that'd work Fitz. For one, they already know they're breaking the law. Two, they've gone to the hassle of filling up and launching so it won't be easy to persuade them to stop. And three, most importantly, no-one ever gets busted riding a jet ski in the surf, so why would they bother heeding anyone's 'advice'?

If it takes the law to create scapegoats and halt their behaviour, then so be it.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 5 Sep 2014 at 12:32pm

Flat tyres on the tow vehicle and ski trailer at the launch ramp would be more effective
or do it the hawaiian way -bitch slap a pro surfer !

seaman-staines's picture
seaman-staines's picture
seaman-staines Friday, 5 Sep 2014 at 12:47pm

The southern Gold Coast points are unique in their dysfunction. There is close to no order, it's almost in a state of lawlessness and there is not much anyone can do to change it. It's eat or be eaten, survival of the fittest, perhaps one could even say it operates on a pure animal instinct.

It can be the most frustrating place to surf on earth and yet there can be so much reward if you persevere. It requires the right attitude and the ability to ignore all of the injustice that you will witness in any surf down there. If you are all about what is right or wrong then it is just not worth your time, find your zone, get your waves and internalize all of your rage and you will survive.

seaman-staines's picture
seaman-staines's picture
seaman-staines Friday, 5 Sep 2014 at 12:51pm

It also helps to develop a 'don't even think about dropping in on me' look in your eyes.

wally's picture
wally's picture
wally Friday, 5 Sep 2014 at 1:04pm

The basic principle of dealing with a drop-in is to ignore them and continue surfing as if they are not there.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 5 Sep 2014 at 1:20pm

Not that easy Wally when you can't draw the lines you want to, and if you do you ding your board..

Even more so when it's freightrain barrels.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 5 Sep 2014 at 2:03pm

Wally check the vid at 5.50 mins ....guy on a bigger looking board [finback asked was it Baddy Treloar] with a nice line picked got a blatant burning no where to go and had to straighten out .

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Friday, 5 Sep 2014 at 4:11pm

I'm with you stu these guys will stop using skis when the law comes down on them and even then risk assessments on being caught will be made.

Firm believer in people being held responsible for their deeds and they (and others) will continue to break the law until they are nabbed.

I still don't get this uncool to dog a mate idea. If you are like the average surfer you arranges his/her life/work/time around swells/tides/winds you have a lot invested in those 1/2 dozen cracking swells a year and it seems you are happy to sit back and take it up the arse from these guys and miss out, for what, not wanting to be uncool. Spare me. Get off your lazy arses, get organised and put an end to it.

Finally, whenever looking for a motivation look at self-interest. Why aren't the local council, politicians or cops interested? So who owns the local jet ski dealerships or charter boat companies and how are they linked to the numb nut political class in charge? What are the networks? The white shoes and socks make be long done but I'm guessing its the same as it ever was. The Goldy, the 60 year old strumpet, still turning tricks for suckers.

tedwardo's picture
tedwardo's picture
tedwardo Friday, 5 Sep 2014 at 4:42pm