Snapper, Greeny, Kirra. Could the Crowd get WORSE - YEP!

spookypt's picture
spookypt started the topic in Monday, 1 Sep 2014 at 10:43am

So with everyone's (or should I say some more than others) arms weary from last weeks swell event a few mates and I got to thinking over the weekend.

There's been a bit of flack over the net about certain well known locals using ski's to the benefit of their respective wave count. Certainly a few of those "amazing" barrels were assisted on entry and with the crowd as it was, I'm not sure how the jet ski rules apply (?). So, seemingly as they don't for some...my mates decided this.

We're not south end locals but surf down there when, as was the case last week, there wasn't a lot of other options and with the media calling it best ever for such a long time who could blame us being bees to the honey pot.

So, we all decide to throw in some money to the total of say $100k = Say 10 jet skis +/- worth. We rent each ski at a hourly intervals. Say 8 hrs for each 10 hr day conservatively at $500ph giving each client 10 waves + for the hour. At 8 clients per day x $500 an hr = $4000 x 10 skis = $40k x 4 days = 160k!!!

Lets deduct fuel, rego, insurance (what insurance?) misc crap and lets say we use up all the $60k that's left. That's till leaves us 361 days of the year to make money and piss off everyone on the east coast.

Now the irony is, none of us are advocating this should be done BUT if some crew can, pro or not, than surely all crew can.

I didn't get burned by any ski's during the last swell, but a few did. Andy Mac and Co are pushing for the area as a surfing sanctuary surely everyone here who gets the benefit of its use should be entitled to the same opportunities. Its either going to be sore arms for all or we'll end up with everyone having jet ski assist (like the example above) instead of only the few now who IMO shouldn't. I personally think the pro guys should set this example or otherwise they may be sorry for the trend they started.

Just a thought I'd throw out to all. Flame suit on................

Spookypt

wally's picture
wally's picture
wally Friday, 5 Sep 2014 at 5:05pm

You are right Craig and udo, it is not that easy and I guess one should try to minimise the number of people one kills.
I was just saying I think it should be the generally understood first principle, subject to alteration as circumstances require. Currently, the general first principle is that the aggrieved party is responsible for avoiding impact.
I think too many people lose focus and direction and start hand-waving when the drop-in is paddling in. You are actually just giving in and giving the wave away. I tend to blot them out of my vision and get the thousand yard stare as every atom of my being fully commits to my line. They tend to sense that and they are the ones who pull back. Or go a high line, rather than straighten out. I'm afraid I revert to my old footy days and the mindset as the last line of defence, when you dig the tags into the turf and stake out your territory and say, none shall pass!
Mostly, I just try to avoid crowds.

Yes udo, that was a bad burning. They should have marksmen on Kirra hill to deal with drop-ins and queue jumpers.
Possibly, I'm in a bit of a mood.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Friday, 5 Sep 2014 at 11:57pm

yeah, they put jetski's in at kennedy drive boat ramp, down at fingal, and last swell they even came down from currumbin creek.

eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies Saturday, 6 Sep 2014 at 7:16am

im with spookypt on this one.
pro surfers get paid to promote a product or products. its simple to bar a brand when
a pro acts like a c-nt.
i for one have refused to buy products from 2 mainstream surf companies because of the actions of
their team riders. and still do after , in one case , over 10 years. (not that im big on wearing much surf scene logos but i do need wetties and stuff) (only 2 ? you ask.)
in fact i take great delight in burning a well known surf co exec who sponsored a little shit at my local
at the time and so feel he owes me a few waves (apparently "only a surfer knows the feeling" of being burnt by a spoilt over paid 15 year old who represents the values of a multi million dollar company. lol)
i figure theyll get the picture sooner or later since they only respond to their bottom line.
i know its not just pros on these jetskies, but these are the guys setting the bar for others.
as for the others if it was me out there getting burnt or nearly run over , if i could catch em id " explain"
myself. if i couldnt catch em id make a complaint to the cops cos someone will get hurt .
making a complaint doesn't mean you have to have proof. its just a complaint. if the cops get enough
complaints they have to act.
we all have this vid to use to explain the situation and im sure theyll be many more if this keeps happening.

wally's picture
wally's picture
wally Saturday, 6 Sep 2014 at 7:59am

You make a good point Spookypt.
It is probably a good way to think about whether something is reasonable behaviour in a situation.
Well, what would actually happen if everybody was doing it?

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Saturday, 6 Sep 2014 at 8:16am

Jet skis are for pathetic idiots. What happened to paddling? So what if it takes longer? Greed has taken over common sense. Surfing is not about polluting the ocean. It is not about selling your soul to corporations. It is not about ego and image and self importance. For fucks sake !!!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 6 Sep 2014 at 8:45am

@Brutus, how do you think this ski situation on the goldy points should be tackled
Those pics you had emailed to you of the ski and surfer collision on the west coast of S.A. do you still have them ?

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 6 Sep 2014 at 12:05pm

I have always been dismayed at the lack of respect ,in surfers using Jet Skis on the Goldy.

When its big and no-one is paddling OK.....but from what I have seen its all about stepoffs and just getting more waves than the paddlers.....greed...

what you can do is video,make complaints to the Marine board about the illegal use of Skis close to the beach and surfers...

I would push the point of how its only a matter of time before someone gets hurt,so that if the Marine bd does not do something about it ,they are potentially opening themselves up for litigation if someone is hurt.

there should ne no-one within....200 mtrs here in Vicco,doing more than 7 knots, from the lowtide mark,and or swimmer/surfers....not sure in Qld....

also if a Ski hit someone,and was travelling too fast ..the driver could be up on culpable driving charges and do a lengthy stint in Jail.....this has already happened here in Vicco ,but on flat water in Port Phillip[ bay.....

get a group of guys together and go and see the Marine board!!

trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet Saturday, 6 Sep 2014 at 12:50pm
udo wrote:

Flat tyres on the tow vehicle and ski trailer at the launch ramp would be more effective
or do it the hawaiian way -bitch slap a pro surfer !

Some of the talk here about surfing's progression having gone a little too far, well, maybe take it back a few steps as udo suggests... sometimes a little physical reminder, to both body and asset, is the only thing the selfish understand. You know, three warnings kind of stance, 1st - please cease and desist, 2nd - fuck off, 3rd - now you're really fucked.

If this is your local, take a stand, call em out straight up for the bullshit behavior, don't sit back and fume and wait till you get to the beach to have a whinge... people will not know how to treat you if you don't tell them how you wish to be treated.

Also, skis really don't ingest rope too well, maybe a short length or two strung out in the path to slow em down, nothing permanent but definitely a time waster.

uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy Saturday, 6 Sep 2014 at 12:48pm

It's not just a gold coast problem.
Have had it multiple times, half a dozen guys paddling only to have a couple of ski's rock up and start towing and being farktards. Just the attitude to not even ask "hey guys, mind if we sit outside and take one every 3rd set?"
Did a cople of cyclone swells 12 years ago and it was dog eat dog back then. The number of heads in the water seen from the cameras these days is something else. Water tension must be about to explode, hopefully not at the expense of someone's life.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 6 Sep 2014 at 1:00pm

Geez I hope some pro's and others who used those ski's during that session are reading this thread, hopefully you guys are getting the picture now.

Flat tyres in the carpark, sugar in the petrol tank, a good ol biffing like the ol days and to top it off length of rope strategically placed in the line up.

Will be interesting to see what happens on the next solid Kirra swell ;)
Cameras (Go Pro's), knives, fists, rolls of twine and to top it off again a good ol backhand to the cheek, just to make you all feel like a bitch.

trippergreenfeet Saturday, 6 Sep 2014 at 1:03pm
wellymon wrote:

Geez I hope some pro's and others who used those ski's during that session are reading this thread, hopefully you guys are getting the picture now.

Flat tyres in the carpark, sugar in the petrol tank, a good ol biffing like the ol days and to top it off length of rope strategically placed in the line up.

Will be interesting to see what happens on the next solid Kirra swell ;)
Cameras (Go Pro's), knives, fists, rolls of twine and to top it off again a good ol backhand to the cheek, just to make you all feel like a bitch.

Thank fuck I don't surf there, bad enough me fueling the fire;)

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Saturday, 6 Sep 2014 at 3:47pm

If one of the 'Cooly Kids' did get punched out the GC media would have a field day about SURF RAGE and not mention the illegal activity these pro's are engaging in on the points. The person doing the punching would be portrayed as the bad guy.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Saturday, 6 Sep 2014 at 4:20pm

The guys using the jet skis know exactly what they are doing; they know its wrong but in the alpha male world they mix in they don't give a fuck.

They would view it as their right to take from the suckers paddling in the surf.

It will continue until enough of you aggrieved souls take a stand and do something about it.

You can get the law involved or take it in own hands but I would suggest getting the law involved because long-term that should have benefits for all surfers, not only in Qld, but elsewhere.

In Vicco a guy was jailed last year for hitting some-one on his jet ski in Port Phillip Bay. The law also became involved with unacceptable jet skier behaviour at Patterson River and in Altona in Port Phillip Bay. The cops became involved because locals took a stance. Its not dogging to gets these dick heads out of the line up ... enough talk just do it.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 7 Sep 2014 at 7:21am

It was brought to the attention of Mayor Tate and Warren Young chief gold coast lifeguard for 36 years they were present when it was going on - FFS.

if anyone would like to ask Warren Young any questions or ask why no action is being taken against these law breakers 0414 180 382

[email protected]

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 6 Sep 2014 at 8:01pm

No words, not even mine, can descibe the ludicrous, embarrassing, debacle, the fiasco called modern surfing. Its become a fiasco of pipsqueaks and squwarkers running the show. Admittedly I've been mostly off the scene for a couple of years, and now, in that short time of my abscence, the squirts have run amock, and the passtime has spiralled into... this ridiculous, sickening, ludicrous shemozzle. For that, for my abscence, I apologise profusely.

'Alpha' fucking males?????????????????????????????????????? What concoction of fucking drugs are you lame brained, dimwits on? Dingo snotting grown men???????????????????????????????

Again, how fucking simple is it? Dunk the fucking pipsqueaks. The how to deal with drop ins advice espoused on here is along the lines of 2 + 1 = 46. Not even in the ballpark. Yes, things have changed over the years, and nowadays the 'alpha males' are cued up outside police stations country wide appwying fowr wethstwaining orders. Not a problem. Its been around for a while. Wordy. This is how to deal with it, and, I Lifty, won't charge you kooks and losers a cent to enlighten, to uplift you.

Firstly, join a gym and build some genuine beef and strength. Next, invite the fucker to drop in. Then, as impossible as it seems in my case, quickly become the kook from hell. As you plunge from your board, accidently land on him and drive him face first through the deck of his wafer, and into the depths, where in your kooky, frenzied attempt to get to the surface, you kick, flail, knee, stomp and elbow the shit out of him as you trample your way to the surface. Get a quick breath as you continue to stomp and tread on his head beneath you and then get sucked back under, on top of him and drive his face into the sand or reef. Repeat the scenario as many times as you feel like. I like a few, just for fun. When you finally let him up, flail away to get back on your board, and of course it slips out of your hands, and drives full speed into his head. Go for his fucking head, he couldn't give a fuck about yours, or he wouldn't drop in, risking serious injury to you. While he's blubbering and squealing, let the next wave throw you at him and repeat. Then tell him what fun you are having surfing, and ask him to share waves with you all day, as you are only warming up. Dunk him, simple, but elegant.

The treat everyone equally phrase has been twisted into stupidity. Only a total imbecile would go on a picnic with Ivan Milat. No matter who it is, relative, friend whoever, all who act like him should be treated the same. So if some smartarse literally sticks his fins and arse in your face, without giving a shit, alpha pipsqeak, mate, whoever... dunk that fucker and deliver the message properly.

Unfortunately though, I've seen enough on here to see that it, surfing, in my absence has probably become a permanently lost, ludicrous, embarrassing, debacle.

Disclaimer

This statement is to inform people that, I, Lifty, have never associated with, or been associated with surfers, surfing, 'alpha' pipsqeaks and their squwarkers, in any form or manner, nor will I.

I also have never spoken to or associated with those who are terrified of blacks, surfers, surfing, 'alpha' pipsqeaks and their squwarkers, and would never recommend that any one do so.

Thankyou.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 6 Sep 2014 at 8:51pm

I have to admit, that was fucking hilarious.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Saturday, 6 Sep 2014 at 9:32pm

3 certainties in Life. Death, Taxes and getting burnt at Kirra. lmfao/

What would Scammel do ?

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Saturday, 6 Sep 2014 at 10:02pm

Plenty of references to "pro surfers" but reading the thread only Joel Parkinson is mentioned. Anyone willing to name names?

seaman-staines's picture
seaman-staines's picture
seaman-staines Saturday, 6 Sep 2014 at 11:04pm

To add some balance to the story I spoke to a couple of guys who surfed during the week and on some of those days it was close to being unrideable relying on paddle power. Its nothing to do with size and everything to do with the sweep. My friends who are both very good surfers had run arounds without a wave. There was also a rip pulling you out as the sweep sent you north at high speed. They would paddle out up the point and hope like hell you luck into a set as you get dragged past big groyne, if not its the lonely paddle into the beach and the depressing walk around to try again.

I don't know if many out there could honestly say they would have turned down an offer of a ride back up the point on a ski that week.

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Sunday, 7 Sep 2014 at 7:57am
spookypt's picture
spookypt's picture
spookypt Sunday, 7 Sep 2014 at 7:59am
seaman-staines wrote:

To add some balance to the story I spoke to a couple of guys who surfed during the week and on some of those days it was close to being unrideable relying on paddle power. Its nothing to do with size and everything to do with the sweep. My friends who are both very good surfers had run arounds without a wave. There was also a rip pulling you out as the sweep sent you north at high speed. They would paddle out up the point and hope like hell you luck into a set as you get dragged past big groyne, if not its the lonely paddle into the beach and the depressing walk around to try again.

I don't know if many out there could honestly say they would have turned down an offer of a ride back up the point on a ski that week.

This is true but if we use this as the rationale then we can also say it's ok to start a jet ski step off hire business off Kirra beach. I say they should be banned full stop from the desired surfing reserve.

And yep, I did the walk around waveless more times than I care to share. But sweep, rip and size is all a mute point unless we are prepared to open it up to every jet ski hire crowd on the east coast.

I don't advocate the violence approach but it's frustrating when those in positions of influence like young, Tate, parkinson, fanning, dingo all prefer to be about what they can get rather than the overall greater good for all.

I live with unrealistic expectations I know.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Sunday, 7 Sep 2014 at 8:06am

Well of course the sweep / rip was the great moderator of all GC points breaks back in the day. The real competition is between you and the rip, not you and the crowds. There is actually an art to it, a technique, plus you need to be a super strong paddler.

Its a game of chess between you, the rip, the sets, and other surfers. I actually enjoyed it. Those who learnt to play the game used the factors to their advantage.

But getttin' a ride on the bonnet or boot of a car from Pizza Hut to Big Groyne on a run-around was cheatin' too. ha.

Again, getting burnt at these breaks is par of the course, always has been, nah its not fair, its not ethical, but fuck eh, sick pits.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 7 Sep 2014 at 8:16am

Meanwhile 4 hungry goldy based brazzos who reckon there missing out on to many waves have just bought a brand new ski , so add another to the line up.......with worse manners than our fellow country men.

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Sunday, 7 Sep 2014 at 8:20am

And this-

http://see-the-sea.org/topics/pollution/noise/noise_pollution.htm

and then there is fuel pollution as well. And they dont just impact wildlife but people who are out in the ocean just wanting to have a peaceful fun surf without this sickness. It is high time big companies like Rip Curl, Quiksilver, Billabong all take a serious look at themselves and what they are promoting , because its not surfing its ego driven selfish destructive bullshit.

wally's picture
wally's picture
wally Sunday, 7 Sep 2014 at 9:12am
udo wrote:

It was brought to the attention of Mayor Tate and Warren Young chief gold coast lifeguard for 36 years they were present when it was going on - FFS.
if anyone would like to ask Warren Young any questions or ask why no action is being taken against these law breakers 0414 180 382
[email protected]

I imagine Mayor Tate and Chief Lifeguard Young are just happy that the celebrities are being given these petrol-fuelled opportunities to promote Gold Coast Inc.
And to all you Neville Nobodies, just be quiet and stay behind the velvet rope.

trippergreenfeet Sunday, 7 Sep 2014 at 9:23am
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 7 Sep 2014 at 11:50am
uplift wrote:

No words, not even mine, can descibe the ludicrous, embarrassing, debacle, the fiasco called modern surfing. Its become a fiasco of pipsqueaks and squwarkers running the show. Admittedly I've been mostly off the scene for a couple of years, and now, in that short time of my abscence, the squirts have run amock, and the passtime has spiralled into... this ridiculous, sickening, ludicrous shemozzle. For that, for my abscence, I apologise profusely.

'Alpha' fucking males?????????????????????????????????????? What concoction of fucking drugs are you lame brained, dimwits on? Dingo snotting grown men???????????????????????????????

Again, how fucking simple is it? Dunk the fucking pipsqueaks. The how to deal with drop ins advice espoused on here is along the lines of 2 + 1 = 46. Not even in the ballpark. Yes, things have changed over the years, and nowadays the 'alpha males' are cued up outside police stations country wide appwying fowr wethstwaining orders. Not a problem. Its been around for a while. Wordy. This is how to deal with it, and, I Lifty, won't charge you kooks and losers a cent to enlighten, to uplift you.

Firstly, join a gym and build some genuine beef and strength. Next, invite the fucker to drop in. Then, as impossible as it seems in my case, quickly become the kook from hell. As you plunge from your board, accidently land on him and drive him face first through the deck of his wafer, and into the depths, where in your kooky, frenzied attempt to get to the surface, you kick, flail, knee, stomp and elbow the shit out of him as you trample your way to the surface. Get a quick breath as you continue to stomp and tread on his head beneath you and then get sucked back under, on top of him and drive his face into the sand or reef. Repeat the scenario as many times as you feel like. I like a few, just for fun. When you finally let him up, flail away to get back on your board, and of course it slips out of your hands, and drives full speed into his head. Go for his fucking head, he couldn't give a fuck about yours, or he wouldn't drop in, risking serious injury to you. While he's blubbering and squealing, let the next wave throw you at him and repeat. Then tell him what fun you are having surfing, and ask him to share waves with you all day, as you are only warming up. Dunk him, simple, but elegant.

The treat everyone equally phrase has been twisted into stupidity. Only a total imbecile would go on a picnic with Ivan Milat. No matter who it is, relative, friend whoever, all who act like him should be treated the same. So if some smartarse literally sticks his fins and arse in your face, without giving a shit, alpha pipsqeak, mate, whoever... dunk that fucker and deliver the message properly.

Unfortunately though, I've seen enough on here to see that it, surfing, in my absence has probably become a permanently lost, ludicrous, embarrassing, debacle.

Disclaimer

This statement is to inform people that, I, Lifty, have never associated with, or been associated with surfers, surfing, 'alpha' pipsqeaks and their squwarkers, in any form or manner, nor will I.

I also have never spoken to or associated with those who are terrified of blacks, surfers, surfing, 'alpha' pipsqeaks and their squwarkers, and would never recommend that any one do so.

Thankyou.

You forgot to mention the "crowd board"......... No point riding your good stick...... you need a qld point special, a 6'8 heavy glassed old ford falcon board that is discoloured.. Don't cut back.... Deliberately fly down the line with a maniacal glare, mowing anyone down that gets in your way.... If someone paddles across your line fin chop them.... Then in front of all, yell "can't you fucking duckdive 6 foot of whitewater!!!".... "Fuck off and learn how to duckdive".... If someone does drop in and they do a manoeuvre in front of you, laugh hysterically at them... It often puts them off.... If they don't flick out, take a high speed line... When you overtake them as they are bottomturning, descend like a stuka divebomber and A - either fade them into the impact zone, or B- run them down, not only finchopping their petty little 5'9 wafer, but also put the shoulder in like a Tony Plugger Locket special...... Then paddle back out eyeballing any cunt that looks your way...... Embrace your own madness

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 7 Sep 2014 at 1:52pm

'You forgot to mention the "crowd board"......... No point riding your good stick...... you need a qld point special, a 6'8 heavy glassed old ford falcon board that is discoloured.'

Yes, good advice. An old, 3 1/4" thick, 6 and 8oz deck, 8oz bottom nugget, a few razor blade, ragged edged, unfixed dings in the nose, glassed in fins, with a big wave leg rope, becomes a beautiful weapon of mass destruction in skilled hands.

'Yaaaaahhhhhhhoooooooo, I got this one guys.......... whooooaaaaaa... faaaark, she's slipped outa me fuck'n hands again, haven't got any wax 'ave ya!!!!! Jeez, sorry maaayyteee... shit, you need stitches eh... maaayyyyteee. Llllllllooooooooookkkkkoutttt maaayyyyteeee!!!! Here comes another one!!!!!!!! Yaaaaahhhhhhhoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Surfins a faaarrrrkin buzz eh!!!!!! Faaarrrrkkkkkk... sorry maaayyyyteeee!!!!!!!!!

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 5:19am

You blokes need to get a current affair involved, get some footage of the mayor and the cop brushing the the subject of jet skies to the side, confront the pro surfers with camera crew at the boat ramp and then on to their sponsors to ask their opinion of their representatives behavior. Then off to the cops to put them on the spot to force them to something about it.

Don't see why some of you think that lagging in these guys to authorities is the wrong thing to do, you can't go the biffo on them as they can't be caught in the water on a ski and if you confront them at the ramp or let tires down, tamper with cars it will all be on cctv and they wont hesitate to call the cops.

Sniper is the best option, I'm sure you could find a crazed gunman on the internet somewhere that will be glad to do the deed for you, probably have to chip in to fly him in from the states. You only need to take out the drivers to send the right message, there is not enough gun powder in china to shoot all the drop ins.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 7:19am

Parko instagram page : pic one month ago of his lordship on a ski and a comment teaching #######how to do jump offs
CD 133Q - I wonder if this ski rego number features in any Kirra vids ?

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 8:09am

These words from Parkinson himself on Kirra, see his
webpage .......

http://joelparko.com

"You canā€™t put a dollar figure on what Kirra is worth to the local community. What it gives to the town and to the Gold Coast and to anyone who visits here canā€™t be measured in dollars. How much is a Kirra barrel worth? Itā€™s priceless. The place is a gift from nature and itā€™s why people travel from all around the world to come here. Itā€™s special, and weā€™re so lucky to have it in our backyard ...."

"Kirra doesnā€™t belong to anyone; it belongs to everyone. The coast here belongs to the people. Kirra belongs to the kids, the swimmers, the surfers, the walkers, and the people who just enjoy the beach. It belongs to the local community and the visitors who come here to experience the beauty of the place".

Perhaps this self appointed spokesperson for the "gift from nature" nature could explain himself.

gromfull's picture
gromfull's picture
gromfull Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 8:20am

I think the issue here is that the parko, fanning and co hangers on, are the locals, and who wants to upset the local legends, and no doubt they are running on the motto, of, Fuck you I'm a local I don't know you so you don't rate, I'll just burn them, I can I'm a yocal, and thus the cycle continues,
Now how do we stop such attitudes,
Yocal surfers will always just be that, they are too self centered and territorial to change

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 9:47am

Its up to the surfing community to self regulate aka skeleton bay. You have to walk back to the top of the point. I commented on another thread once the beach is closed the council has formally resigned its duty of care, and its a free for all on the skis unless you break the Waterways laws.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 10:38am

Gday, mick...hope you are cruising.... I don't know how people put up with it..... Crowds that is.... It got to the stage on the sunny coast where I'd rather surf chunky imperfect 2nd bay Coolum, or Perry, than the freakn hassle of Noosa.... Yeah, great waves, but gumbo's, numbnuts, or as uplift would say "squawka's" littering the breaks.... Just getting a carpark would already put most in a foul mood......
You'd cop a few beatings out at 2nd bay, but just one wave linking through to 1st bay made the sesh worthwhile..... Then I could just walk home....

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 10:57am

Beach closed so that lets Warren Young off the hook and breaches are then only a waterways concern, if there are no surfers in the water ...ski towing- jump offs only.....ha are they still breaking the law re passing another vessel on the wrong side starboard or port or at the wrong speed when heading back to the line up....any boaters out there that know these rules ?
not that it really matters with no surfers in the line up...just curious.

EDIT: So its still 6knts 200 metres from any other watercraft [no surfers present]

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 11:06am

Udo, passing rules aren't mandatory as such, unless there is an incident. Then the rules come into play in the ensuing investigation as to who is in the wrong.
At sea, we often pass "green to green" and quite often if the intentions are unsure, radio communication confirms this. If no radio comms and intentions are still unsure, the rules will then govern.
As for 6kts with other watercraft, I think if there aren't swimmers/surfers etc some sort of order will prevail as is usually the case.

wally's picture
wally's picture
wally Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 12:25pm

udo, it is not the Gold Coast saying the beach is closed so it has nothing to do with us.
The rules allowing the jet skis to operate, subject to the 200 metre rule, in closed bathing reserves, are rules the Council put in under the Gold Coast City Council Local Laws. Gold Coast City Council employee, Warren Young, would be an appropriate authorised officer to enforce that law.

Maritime Safety Queensland overrides that law at Currumbin. Maybe they are the people to force a change to the Kirra rule. Warren Young would, I think, have the responsibility to enforce the current rules.

"Maritime Safety Queensland has received numerous complaints concerning tow-in surfing interaction with paddle surfers, and near misses with swimmers as a result of recreational watercraft wave jumping and freestyling in and around the bar cutting at Currumbin and Tallebudgera Creeks. In the interest of marine safety, Maritime Safety Queensland has established exclusion zones by gazettal notices (refer Annex B) that prohibit the abovementioned activities in the entrances to Currumbin and Tallebudgera Creeks"

Obviously, allowing the jet skis into bathing reserves when the beach is closed because it has maxed out has some sense. Allowing them in when the waves are 4 to 6 foot doesn't make sense, whether the beach is closed or not.

p-funk's picture
p-funk's picture
p-funk Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 1:43pm

2. Tow-in surfing without an observer
Maritime Safety Queensland has gazetted an exemption pursuant to section 18A Transport Operations (Marine Safety) Act 1994 that exempts operators of personal watercraft from the requirement at section 222 of the Transport Operations (Marine Safety) Regulation 2004 to carry an observer. This exemption for operators of personal watercraft only applies if the tow-in surfing operations comply with the requirements of this code of conduct.

The personal watercraft operator must:
ļ‚· tow only one person at a time
ļ‚· carry dive fins and a safety knife in a readily accessible
ļ‚· give right of way to all other boating or ocean recreation
activities.

Maritime Safety Queensland, Tow-in surfing ā€“ code of conduct, August 2010 3 of 7

The personal watercraft operator must not operate the watercraft at a speed of more than six knots within 200 metres of:
ļ‚· all persons in the water other than the skier (the person
who is being towed)
ļ‚· all paddle surfers in the water
ļ‚· all other ships or watercraft in the water.

ļ‚· The personal watercraft operator must ensure their craft is equipped with a rescue sled with a minimum of five hand-grip handles ā€” two on the port side, two on the starboard side and one at the bow of the sled attached to the watercraft with a three point hitching.

p-funk's picture
p-funk's picture
p-funk Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 1:45pm

3. Tow-in surfing in a closed bathing reserve
The Gold Coast City Councilā€™s chief lifeguard (or acting) is responsible for the closure of the bathing reserve to users on observation of unsafe conditions.

Notification of closure empowers local law 10 (bathing reserves) 2008 section 17 (5) and 17 (7)(d)(ii) exemptions and allows tow-in surfing in the bathing reserve area however, operators must stay more than 200 metres from any aquatic equipment, wind powered craft or swimmers.

Vessel operators must remember the distance off requirements, that is, 30 metres for vessels and 60 metres for personal watercraft as per sections 127 and 127A Transport Operations (Marine Safety) Regulations 2004.

Unless the bathing reserve is closed, tow-in surfing remains prohibited 400 metres seaward of the shoreline in bathing reserves.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 2:32pm

Excellent p-funk.

So has anyone bothered to ask the council and/or Mayor Tate and Chief Lifeguard Young to explain themselves yet?

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 2:56pm

We dont care if Jesus Fucking Christ turns up, if the c..t is towing in at Kirra or in any other line up thats being paddled, he should be tarred, feathered and fucked off big time. Theres plenty of places to use jetskis, it is not acceptable to use them where people are paddling, world champ or wanker, its a dead set no no.
floyd, This is a surfing issue, keep it inhouse, get Tim Baker, Sean Doherty, Blakey to write the truth.
i spoke to both the mayor and warren young on the groyne. they are not going to do anything. Tom Tate made a dick of himself when he made a pre election promise to fix the groyne, then renigned. I quoted two state acts and the local govt act when i explained how i was going to sue the council for the unsafe groyne. Council legal advice agreed that i would win, so they had to fix the groyne. Which they did, but not back to original length as excavator kept dropping big rocks and they went overbudget. They went public saying they were fixing the groyne for the surfers, so the mayor is not going to get involved in any negative public debate about Kirra. Warren Young will do what the Mayor says as with the 2018 Comm Games, budgets will get trimmed, Warren not wanting his budget trimmed. Bring back Kirra, but not on the back of a fucking jet ski.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 3:08pm

great stuff p-funk....after reading all the comments...I think its now up to who does not want jetskis in the lineup to use the Law that already exists ,film a whole session at Kirra with skis etc.....

I think having a journalist onside would be great ,even a local councilor..........its only a matter of time before there is a serious accident .....then the shit will hit the fan....but being pro-active before then...OK who is going to stand up?????

spookypt's picture
spookypt's picture
spookypt Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 3:40pm

When I started this topic I actually thought I might get quite a flaming.. Mainly due to fact that while I have the greatest respect for guys/gals who can surf really well (spono or not) I simply can't sit back and watch it get pillaged by a few who simply are opportunists at others expense. If one of those ski's stalled and got bag rolled in with the white wash and mowed me down and knocked me out at best.....well how does the driver explain to my wife and 18mth old that I got killed by an opportunistic ego driven wanker who had more money than sense to satisfy his duty of care to others around him. Is he gonna feed my family? If I was prepared flog myself senseless for the tally of 4 run arounds for 2 waves in total why can't everyone else? I know without ski's I may have got more waves.....and it may have been less crowded and dangerous because most weren't willing to burn the arms like I was.

I see this blatant attitude all the time...texting while driving..drinking while driving etc etc. I just needed to say something.

IMO I think it could all be resolved in one foul swoop if some of those doing it made a stand and said that's it boys all over. I'd like to see PARKO or Mick say righto that's it boys...it's over...SWELLNET has spoken. No exception AT ALL EVER. Ski's are OUT FOREVER!

With the local boardriders and all that on board it would be self managed and with local respect that'd be it. But while the cream of the crop continue to do it...what hope have we got.

So come on Parko or Mick or Wayne Deane or Rabbit or Occy or FREEKEN ANYONE out there with south end respect! Take a stand amongst your peers and call it.... I'll be the first bloke to shake your hand with kudos and respect AND might even give your spono's some much needed Kudos as well. God knows your main stream image and industry could do with a bit of a "self respect" story that generates greater good for all rather than the I'm cule Phuck u that we seem to get all the time.

Stu I'm sure you have a few of the crew on the batline.....drop them an email link of this topic and see if with the touch of a few keys on the keyboard we can actually achieve something positive without violence and surfing image all round being improved. Surfing needs it and so does KIRRA.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 4:11pm

spookypt wrote:

Stu I'm sure you have a few of the crew on the batline.....drop them an email link of this topic and see if with the touch of a few keys on the keyboard we can actually achieve something positive without violence and surfing image all round being improved. Surfing needs it and so does KIRRA.

I'mĀ gonna put word out SP. And in a fortnight or so I'll follow it up.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 5:03pm

davetherave,

You make some good points and its interesting to hear some of the backstory on the council and Kirra groyne. I don't see it as solely an in house issue, rather i see it as how some (top 44 circus wankers, big surf brands etc) make a lot of coin and/or gain advantage from arrangements they have with people well outside of surfing e.g. local governments and business people.

There is money to be made (accommodation, food, general retail etc) selling the dream to punters of perfect tubes on those points so why would council want to come down heavy on, you know, "the ambassadors of the sport". In any promotional video you will not see the jet ski but you will see recognisable faces and logos pitted.

The same issue directly allows so called surfing contests to lock up surf breaks up and down the country. Its business, its not art or sport but business. Just think of the coin local businesses make in the 2 weeks the top 44 circus marketing event is on. Those businesses don't give a fuck that locals can't surf the best conditions/surf of that time.

So who do councils represent - its business that's who. In anything like this just follow the money.

I agree with brutus, film it and force council to act, they aren't gunna get off their arses otherwise.

Goodluck stu, i reckon you are pissing into a wind.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 5:36pm

Go gettem Stu, ask the hard questions, put them on the spot!!! You'll be right, I don't think any of them will be sponsored by Patagonia :-)

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 5:58pm

Well.... The Goldy is where I grew up.... 67 - 79...... Was gods country... fuck all highrise in sufferers parasite, The Iluka, the Shore, The Chateau, Ten the Esplanade.... Then Sir Jo went psycho.....
But the goldy has always been a tourist destination..... Bread and butter...... So, in regards to crowds... You either handle it, or move..... I remember punch ups at Burleigh, and dbah.... I remember scores being settled at the Playroom...... None of this modern political correctness bullshit...... This was 2.....3 decades ago....
Now, jetskis are a different matter..... Narcissism meets peacocking on a grand scale.... But "pop will eat itself".... Eventually....
Lastly. The "old Gatta"..... A spate of deaths at the tweed bar is what started this whole convoluted situation.... To try to guarantee safety for those in boats using a river entrance that wasn't safe for commercial use, the powers that be of the day decided to put in 2 walls I think the first walls were put in over 100 years ago..... Dbah was born.... Man made wave number 1...... The northerly flow of sand was restricted, and Coolangatta eroded during big storms..... So, they put walls in at Kirra to trap sand..... Man made wave number 2.....
More tragedy at Currumbin...... More walls...... Man made wave number 3....... That of course eroded Palm beach...... More walls..... More man made waves....
So we have convolution... We have Paradoxes.... All through a few sailors dying a century ago...

IMO, it's all a farce... The sandpumping, the "superbank"...... Give me the old eroded "gatta" any day.... Big groyne Kirra - classic.... Little groyne Kirra - classic..... The sausage groyne - had its moments.... Snapper, Rainbow, and Greenmount all classic, all were separate... Sometimes, nature would provide its own "superbank", and you could ride all the way through, but more often than not they were distinct waves.... It would spread the crowd out.... And greeny used to break real close to the rocks and wrap right in close to the headland, which was a godsend when the ese was blowing.....Fully protected....
Anyway, as Ned Kelly would say, "such is life".... The only thing that doesn't change up in banana land is the fact that things always change.....

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 6:26pm

This letter has just gone out. I usually get printed in local paper, it has gone to surf mags, councillors, the mayor and journos.
I am asking Gold Coast City Council Lifeguard Service, Surfing Australia/Qld and all Surfriding Clubs to inform all members and the public, that it is illegal to have jet ski's within at least 200 metres of a bathing area, including surfing breaks.
It was great to see fantastic waves at Kirra Point once again, but it wasn't great to see jet ski's right in the lineup dropping surfers into waves then picking them straight up.
Not only were these jet ski surfers hogging all the waves, they pose a safety risk to others who are in the line up.
There are plenty of open beaches that would have been great for the faster jet ski surfers.
Jet skis have their place, but not in a lineup where others are paddling. If there is a next time, you will be named and shamed and prosecuted. Surfing big swells is dangerous enough, without getting hurt or killed by a wayward jet ski.
Thanks
So it's up to you what you do, but the reason I finally took it further was after speaking to some of the jet ski crew, their attitude was that this was the first of many jet ski missions. Has to be stopped before we get bozo the clown out there going over the falls on top of someone.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 6:36pm

Well done Dave, can that be forward to all the dot coms - Parko, Fanning, D Morrison, ETC . also although they are aware DHD JS and all the rest.