I heart WOTD

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Wednesday, 30 Jul 2014 at 8:07am

The wave of the day does it for me big time. Nice work Steen Barnes , Shaun Anderson and Swellnet.
In one photo you've encompassed everything nice about surfing. If I was a wanker I'd say that it was perfect except for the fact he is in a wetsuit. Which it is , it's perfect .....except for the fact he's in a wetsuit.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 29 Aug 2019 at 2:20pm

Its interesting that you guys keep posting pics of the telos in particular mishos/churches.

I honestly think the constant exposure is blowing the place up, crowds this year were way up (sadly when people see these pics and think lets do a telos trip , many now do it on a charter boat)

We don't spend a cent on advertising but cant keep up with bookings the demand is huge people even want to book for 2021

As a surfer who enjoyed the place totally empty it kind of sucks but on the flipside i make a little money and my local friends are now very well off and the money does go back into the community.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 29 Aug 2019 at 2:36pm

Those photos are advertising. Exactly the same as the PNG photos from Peel.

No need to specify the resort as a rising tide lifts all boats. Just generate the excitement and fill those line ups !

I’d say that’s why the region is named too.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 29 Aug 2019 at 2:50pm

No, it ain't. I name it because I think it's a big region, same as I'd say 'Mentawais' or 'Sumbawa' or 'Java'.

I'm here. I answer any comment or email, so ask a question before constructing a conspiracy theory.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 29 Aug 2019 at 2:57pm

Whether you’re involved or not , it’s advertising.

These boys are paid to provide the images which get the punters onboard.

I KNOW you’re above reproach in this regard , Stu . So my apologies for the inflammatory suggestion.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 29 Aug 2019 at 2:58pm

"I’d say that’s why the region is named too."

You're saying I'm complicit and I'm telling you it's bullshit.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 29 Aug 2019 at 3:06pm

I know it’s bullshit and that’s why I apologised.

You’re the last person who deserves to be accused of that shit.

Again, my apologies. Totally uncalled for.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 29 Aug 2019 at 3:12pm

Aye. Tears are dried. No more Telos or similar.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 29 Aug 2019 at 3:17pm

I’ve got a big night of self flagellation ahead of me , if it helps.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 29 Aug 2019 at 5:40pm

I don't know i just get confused about how heavily some of these resorts are trying to sell the place, especially with their photographers surely they understand just because the photographer stays at some resort doesn't mean people looking at the pics will also stay there, it doesn't work that way, your advertising the place like a product, but when people buy into the product they buy it from all kinds of sources. (resorts, camps, boats)

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Thursday, 29 Aug 2019 at 7:55pm

Except it ain't myshos/churches. It's 'The Gooch' :)

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 29 Aug 2019 at 10:27pm

Probably, we call it "Razzor backs" is clearly named as Telos though.

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Friday, 30 Aug 2019 at 9:54am

Yep and have to agree with you re crowds....the joint has exploded in the 10 years i've been going there.

The charter boats are the killer - everyone else seems to have reasonable understanding of the 'wait an hour if someone else already on it' rule but with the charters its a fukn free for all

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 30 Aug 2019 at 10:17am

On charter boats it can become a microcosm of the broader surf world in that you’re often competing for waves with the other crew on your boat , so that when you pull up at a break there is a scramble to get a few before the wave pigs you’ve arrived with do their thing.

This can lead to you being a wave pig too.

It’s funny what crew will do to get away from the Lord of the Flies situation they’re floating around with ie Put on a good movie , talk it up to anyone around, claim to have crook guts / need a kip , then quietly slip away for a surf .

Loudly announcing your intention to get on the beers , thereby burleying up the pissheads , grab first shout and push beers into reluctant hands if necessary....then bail for a surf.

Or when you are forced to lower yourself off the transom so as not to generate the splashing that attracts mouth breathers from all corners of the boat to ask if you’re going for a surf ......even as you paddle towards the break.

Waxing up in the lineup, after sneaking away in the pre dawn light is often essential. The dawn sound of a waxing is like a dinner bell for hungry pigs.

Got to stop that leggie away from the clattering against the board too.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 30 Aug 2019 at 10:29am

I do all that in the local carpark here.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 30 Aug 2019 at 10:38am

Haha, gold Blowin!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 30 Aug 2019 at 10:45am

One dedicated boater actually replaced the contents of a bottle of SPF 30+ with moisturiser and then offered it up to the grateful pasty white surfers on the first days of the trips. That put paid to a few keen competitors.

He also supplied Deep vein thrombosis pills to another naive fella who was suffering from a splitting headache obviously induced by dehydration. The DVT pills were laxatives.

Good bloke to have around if you want to cull the numbers in the lineup. Pays to stay on the right side of him.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Friday, 30 Aug 2019 at 11:34am

Awesome moves Blowin.....did they catch on?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 30 Aug 2019 at 11:39am

Yep maddog 100% true, some resorts are also better than others telo island lodge and pinnacles come and go as arent limited to one trip a day in boats, others sit on waves all day especially the resort that even sometimes sends two boats south and two north( even other resorts both north and south are over them)

Im naming and shaming here too Sumatran safaris pretty much sat on the left for a week with two of their boats last month.

Yeah sure south winds but so options limited, but really two of your own charter boats at same break pretty much 70% of the time, imagine if you were a guest on their boat? Id be pissed.

They market themselves as always being onto uncrowded waves ect but last year the locals at rockstars in Nias also got pissed of and forced them somehow to move on after 4 days.(nias tourist get pissed off and complain hence why Nias locals care)

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Friday, 30 Aug 2019 at 12:21pm

For sure ID - too many of those zero boats for my liking

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 30 Aug 2019 at 2:05pm

Gold Blowin, fisiocrem mixed into sun cream works a treat especially when later applied to the face and around the eyes .... just quietly

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 31 Aug 2019 at 7:35am

I’d be keen to know the story behind today’s shot. That’s incredible

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 31 Aug 2019 at 7:42am

That is friggin nuts.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 31 Aug 2019 at 10:24am

Almost whipped down there for that swell, new 7'6" might been on the underside of suitable, fitness more an issue, however I thought the waves around home would be good. But they weren't, I rode a 5'8", barely raised a puff, and then Lance sent an email with that shot.

I'm swinging between relieved and frustrated.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 31 Aug 2019 at 10:31am

Wild pic..and that next section forming...jesus !

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 31 Aug 2019 at 12:29pm

I was thinking that’s where you’d meant to be.

Fuck that . May as well just walk down to Thirroul railway station and jump in front of the next train. Safe to say I’m never catching a wave like that.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 31 Aug 2019 at 12:50pm

Is that a paddle in?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 31 Aug 2019 at 12:52pm

I'd say that one's a tow.

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Saturday, 31 Aug 2019 at 3:50pm

If you look closely he's on a tow board with straps.

What a bomb. Incredible photo.

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Saturday, 31 Aug 2019 at 3:52pm

Ahh just saw today's. I was talking about Chopes.

Is today's the spot that has shown up in footage with the likes of Russel Bierke charging it?

Ray Shirlaw's picture
Ray Shirlaw's picture
Ray Shirlaw Saturday, 31 Aug 2019 at 4:26pm

Nup. Its not. The photo has been flipped to keep the hype down on this incredible Righthander.

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Monday, 2 Sep 2019 at 10:14am

That was a very fun session (today's pic).

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 3 Sep 2019 at 1:53pm

There’s got to be a caption based around Mawson’s hut floating around for a better mind than mine to pick up on.

Nice pit , fella.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 3 Sep 2019 at 1:55pm

Sorry , I only just got the pitted / olive bit .

The shame

I blame paint fumes for my condition.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 3 Sep 2019 at 2:36pm

Ha ha ha...and I almost didn't use it cos it was too obvious.

derra83's picture
derra83's picture
derra83 Wednesday, 4 Sep 2019 at 12:24pm

Todays wave reminds me of the Toyota ad, 'Oh what a feeling!'

The nonchalant lady not so much.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 10 Sep 2019 at 8:09am

North coast ? The bloke in the foreground has got booties on !

Unless I’m thinking of the wrong North coast.....

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 10 Sep 2019 at 8:16am

Booties? I know a bloke who surfs Lennox Head in a hood.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 10 Sep 2019 at 8:26am

While he watches his pals sit on the sidelines for 6-8 weeks waiting for their drilled out ears to heal up. So I've heard, my hearing is great btw.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 10 Sep 2019 at 8:29am

Hey Harry Elks, don't give too much away, you might regret it when the hordes start turning up and word gets out on the international grapevine.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 10 Sep 2019 at 8:37am

Hoods are a distinct level of protection from booties. They’re a preferential alternative to cold wind headaches , cranial sunburn or identification if you aren’t averse to acting in a criminal manner . I’ve rocked a hood on the Tropic of Capricorn many times and I’ve heard word of the Hooded Avenger of Lennox.

But booties....booties are a step backwards on the evolutionary ladder. They’re an open declaration that you’re comfortable amongst the two headed , cousin -wed cold water surfer. The deep latitudes ancestral throwback who weighs down the laudable fantasy of surfing as sundrenched frivolity , oiled bikini babes impatiently panting on your return to a tropical beach and blonde haired , brown skinned proximity to Valhalla.

Your prominent browed , knuckle dragging booty wearer has no business on the North coast.

Back to your igloo , Igor. You’re scaring the children.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 10 Sep 2019 at 8:53am

Not a fan of the booties and boardshorts look then?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 10 Sep 2019 at 9:13am

As with most crimes of fashion , I plead guilty, your Honor.

Even worse - and I mean THE worst - I paired split toe tropical booties with Double Bintang. Yep , Bintang shorts with Bintang singlet plus booties, all blue , at early season G land .

Wish I could say that it was my sartorial low point . But let’s be honest , it wasn’t even close.

Still , I can proudly say that I’ve never plumbed the horrific depths of cold water booties . And what’s more , I never will. I’ll gladly leave that to our two headed , shrivelled scrotum mates of the joyless Southern states.

Wait .....are you suggesting cold water booties with shorts ?

(Grimace )

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 19 Sep 2019 at 7:37am

Craig in Tassie ?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 19 Sep 2019 at 7:48am

Yep. Photo from late y'day.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 19 Sep 2019 at 9:27am

He must have the itchiest of itchy feet that bloke.

Great shot.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 19 Sep 2019 at 9:54am

Says the bloke who relocated his entire life to a foreign country.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Saturday, 28 Sep 2019 at 11:47am

A couple of cracking frames the last WOTD's how critical is is that rail grab,

PJ's (North Point?), epic.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 28 Sep 2019 at 12:03pm

Yep, Pete's was NP. 

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Sunday, 29 Sep 2019 at 4:37pm