I heart WOTD

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Wednesday, 30 Jul 2014 at 8:07am

The wave of the day does it for me big time. Nice work Steen Barnes , Shaun Anderson and Swellnet.
In one photo you've encompassed everything nice about surfing. If I was a wanker I'd say that it was perfect except for the fact he is in a wetsuit. Which it is , it's perfect .....except for the fact he's in a wetsuit.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Saturday, 25 Jan 2020 at 7:24pm

Doctor : "So this WOTD, held you hostage & force fed you a diet of Pipes 'n' Slabz...and you haven't stopped drooling since!"

Yep! That's right doctor..Drool Drool...you gotta help Doc!...Drool...Slobber...Drool...

Doctor's prescription : "Take a tulla tub mud rub and push out 1 airwave per day!"

Ash's picture
Ash's picture
Ash Monday, 27 Jan 2020 at 3:42pm

Craig today's photo is poster worthy, epic shot.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 27 Jan 2020 at 5:39pm

Thanks Ash, stoked on that image!

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 29 Jan 2020 at 10:59pm

I love water shots like today's 29/1. Its a cracker!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 29 Jan 2020 at 11:48pm

I'm a bit late to this too, but agreed Guy, it's a beauty.

Ash's picture
Ash's picture
Ash Saturday, 1 Feb 2020 at 10:52am

Goofy footers dreamscape or Indo dreaming, either one will do

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 2 Feb 2020 at 1:02pm

Unidentified having a very large dig.

Go mate !

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 2 Feb 2020 at 1:37pm

He’s fairly deep hey!

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 3 Feb 2020 at 11:44am

Love todays one, have been past quite a few times, never looked as nice as that tho!

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Monday, 3 Feb 2020 at 12:05pm

Same VJ. Scored it good only once and every other time a fizzer, but I do love how it sucks people away from other spots nearby!

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 3 Feb 2020 at 12:24pm

Incredible series of setups, if only there was more consistent swell...
Actually, homework I'd love to see Craig do, how about a comparison of recent years weather patterns with the 1980s (I have heard were very kind to this coast) - with the question, "what's changed?"

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Monday, 3 Feb 2020 at 12:50pm

Yes - be interesting to see what has changed. Just don't get those big long period SE & SSE swells anymore. Crowds are the other big change.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 3 Feb 2020 at 4:25pm

Today's (3/2) is a beauty as is yesterday's but today's is worthy of a painting. Love to know where the boodle hell that is!

belly's picture
belly's picture
belly Monday, 3 Feb 2020 at 4:40pm

Dry landscape.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Monday, 3 Feb 2020 at 4:54pm

Crowds have exploded the last 2 -3 years down here I feel? I've seen a good 40 odd cars at the spot before. Thought there's sometimes that many surfing 1 footers at Park these days haha.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 3 Feb 2020 at 5:11pm

Always wanted to surf that left but never got it, surfed a fun right point in the same area when i was a grommet just happened to luck into two days of swell on a family holiday, wasn't epic or hollow but very long and playful and only a few guys out, beautiful part of the world and some classic little set ups.

A mate lives not far away and surfs the area when it breaks and post lots of pics/video on instagram but it always seems like a lot of the waves get close to being on but always one little thing doesn't align, swell size, direction, tide, sand etc or if they do turn on very short window of when its good.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 3 Feb 2020 at 5:11pm

Mate of mine is moving down that way as a seachange deal. Gonna be an oyster farmer, bought a lease and was gonna rent in Hobart and travel out to his lease a few times a week. But six months later he can't find a rental there as mainlanders escape congestion and rising costs by moving to Tassie.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Monday, 3 Feb 2020 at 6:24pm

You better believe it. Was homeless for 4 months when I moved back from Indo, and had to move 4 times in the two years since as houses are being traded like footy cards. Now I'm paying almost $250 for a room in a town where wages are the same as the 90's. Add to that all the people getting logs and SUPs and the people turning towns into AirBnB havens, the benefits are starting to disappear. And it's still bloody cold.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 3 Feb 2020 at 6:40pm

population growth fueled.

Ray Shirlaw's picture
Ray Shirlaw's picture
Ray Shirlaw Monday, 3 Feb 2020 at 8:00pm

So...its fickle,expensive,cold and already crowded? Oh well. No harm done here. Move along....

Jamyardy's picture
Jamyardy's picture
Jamyardy Monday, 3 Feb 2020 at 9:44pm

The first time I went to Tassie was in the early 90's. They locals back then were telling us Tassie's population was in decline … too many people heading to the mainland. Scored some pretty good uncrowded waves, particularly on the West coast and in the SE.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 3 Feb 2020 at 10:00pm

For me it was early and late 2000s, loved it. 6K houses in West Coast mining towns, 13K in towns along the central highway, how things change. Work was light on for many locals (I was on contract). Surf wise, and being alone for a lot of it, it would take you some time to dial in conditions for the many different coasts and setups. Me getting surf was often a lottery (no Swellnet, no seamless connectivity on smartphone) and I lucked out in some places you wouldn't expect waves. And got skunked often. Still, I enjoyed it all. If you lived on some of the coasts, you might want non-surfing hobbies. AFAIK the population growth there is still less than the main east coast cities?

Stu would your mate be better off renting outside the main city, closer to his lease?

Dandandan, that's a bummer to hear about the housing for you. Hope it gets better. What's the scene like on the South Arm these days, super crowded or manageable?

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Tuesday, 4 Feb 2020 at 9:18am

Saw some photos of today's WOTD from a few weeks back absolutely firing. Looks like a sick set up.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 4 Feb 2020 at 12:08pm

More suck lifts from across the dutch today!

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Tuesday, 4 Feb 2020 at 12:49pm

Just saw photos from there from today. Pumping again!

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 4 Feb 2020 at 2:28pm

Doubt it. Tiny swell on that coast today.

halleys-comet's picture
halleys-comet's picture
halleys-comet Tuesday, 4 Feb 2020 at 2:50pm

IB, confirming that, I'm here, worst day in a week, waiting for the morrow.

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Tuesday, 4 Feb 2020 at 2:56pm

Yeah okay. My source is leading me astray! Regardless, it's got me keen for a surf trip to NZ. Have only been once and that was a snow trip back in the early 2000s.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 4 Feb 2020 at 3:55pm

Sorry if that sounded snarky, Bnkref. It was just a statement of fact, and it came across a bit dumb.

And heck yes, halley. Should be pumping tomorrow.

Ray Shirlaw's picture
Ray Shirlaw's picture
Ray Shirlaw Tuesday, 4 Feb 2020 at 6:05pm

Is a proper EastCoastLow any good for NZ or Fiji,or anywhere else in that general area? Intuition tells me No but I've always wondered. The main fetch is aimed at Oz,yeh?

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Tuesday, 4 Feb 2020 at 8:31pm

Not at all, IB. Hope you get some.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 7 Feb 2020 at 10:36am

VJ, got some dates and months for that period of S/SE-SE swell. Can look it up.

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Friday, 7 Feb 2020 at 12:51pm

Craig. Ones that stick in my memory are 30th May 2006 and 1st August 2006.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 7 Feb 2020 at 12:57pm

Hmm, OK, thanks but more than dates, I'm looking for periods when it was on for a long time. One-offs won't show up.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 7 Feb 2020 at 5:56pm

Today’s is unworthy

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 7 Feb 2020 at 6:32pm

I’ll bet today’s WOTD is many young crew’s idea of as good as surfing gets. Exotic trip away and nailing a stylish dream air in front of all their mates.

Broad church and all that.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Friday, 7 Feb 2020 at 6:47pm

Thrice stated, 'tis unworthy.

(Thanks for all the crackin shots before today though!)

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Sunday, 9 Feb 2020 at 9:01am

WOTD is back on track with a front row seat to an intense action thriller, whoa!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 9 Feb 2020 at 9:38am

Hard to even comprehend what that fella is attempting.

That wave looks like it’s be wonky , chopped and unruly at 6 feet , let alone the 600 footer he’s caught. Literally risking your life to catch a wave is something I struggle to understand but at least it’s an approachable concept with a huge perfect wave and you’ve got every chance of success.

That thing is just mind blowingly complex.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 9 Feb 2020 at 10:32am

Any word on whether this fella made the drop or the wave ?

I’m assuming he got about 3 metres further down the face before disaster.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 9 Feb 2020 at 10:54am

It's a frame grab so I'm sure Tim will show us the video at some point. Perhaps at the end of the season.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 9 Feb 2020 at 12:31pm

Redeemed

Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone Thursday, 13 Feb 2020 at 11:15am

Absolute mirage.

Who is this Otto Davies?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 13 Feb 2020 at 11:58am

He’s very elusive

Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone Thursday, 13 Feb 2020 at 2:52pm

Ha. Is it you??????????? I thought i had deduced who you were the other week but i could confirm my suspicions by asking if i bumped into you on your street last night haha?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 13 Feb 2020 at 3:10pm

Keep the late night rendezvous to Gary G ;p

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Thursday, 13 Feb 2020 at 3:44pm

Otto's shot vs snapper today.
hmmm

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 13 Feb 2020 at 5:03pm

Mr Bone I’m not Otto that’s for sure, and it would be an absolute pleasure to cross paths with you when the sun went down but no it wasn’t me.. I think ???

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 13 Feb 2020 at 5:12pm

Ottos wave is a close out!

Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone Thursday, 13 Feb 2020 at 5:50pm

arvo night. tamaytoe tarmartoe. well then I guess I cross that name off the list hehe.