Fishing tips

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Monday, 2 Apr 2012 at 9:32am

OK, so I want to try my hand at fishing. I have a couple of rods and reels, and an assortment of stuff in a shiny tackle box (Chrissy present from a few years back). I've got salt water and fresh water options close at hand (Narrabeen). But, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

Can anyone offer me some pointers? I'd really like to impress the missus.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 17 Apr 2016 at 9:06pm

For fucks sake, Sid...... Just dig up some live pippies and leave your wife's dirty undies at home, mate.... pmsl

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Sunday, 17 Apr 2016 at 9:51pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
prothero wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

Here's a good article i came across today about the effect of weather on fishing.

http://www.socialfishing.com.au/2015/12/01/the-weather-effect-pt-1-barom...

.......good article

I thought it was interesting hence posted it, but ive seen times where great fishing happens on all different barometric pressure, rising and falling, low & high and stable.

Plus what i don't understand is although air pressure has an effect on well the air above the water and the oceans surface, i would not have though the difference in pressure could be felt in the water especially considering water creates its own pressure which changes so much at different depths.

Or is it that the air pressure is added on top of the water pressure?...but even then you would expect the pressure difference wouldn't be that big....Mmmmm not sure...going to have to read more on this to get my head around it, but kinda skeptical.

ID I understand that actual tides can vary significantly from the expected/charts dependent on barometric pressure.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Sunday, 17 Apr 2016 at 9:51pm

What if you're not married Sid?

prothero's picture
prothero's picture
prothero Sunday, 17 Apr 2016 at 10:13pm

fish, rising / falling barometer ?......i guess like everything its all in the timing.......fishing at dawn or dusk,,,,as it changes from one system to another its gonna influence the situation for sure,,,,ill try fishing on a rapidly falling barometer before I relieve my wife of her undies

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Sunday, 17 Apr 2016 at 10:36pm
mk1 wrote:

You can buy it at tackle shops. They got big vats of dirty knickers, they boil em up and reduce it like a good stock, sell it in gel or liquid form, but it's heaps cheaper if you pinch one of them sanitary bins outa the Ladies and brew your own.

prothero's picture
prothero's picture
prothero Sunday, 17 Apr 2016 at 10:23pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
prothero wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

Here's a good article i came across today about the effect of weather on fishing.

.......good article

I thought it was interesting hence posted it, but ive seen times where great fishing happens on all different barometric pressure, rising and falling, low & high and stable.

Plus what i don't understand is although air pressure has an effect on well the air above the water and the oceans surface, i would not have though the difference in pressure could be felt in the water especially considering water creates its own pressure which changes so much at different depths.

Or is it that the air pressure is added on top of the water pressure?...but even then you would expect the pressure difference wouldn't be that big....Mmmmm not sure...going to have to read more on this to get my head around it, but kinda skeptical.

...yes its hard to believe that pressure on the surface would have a significant effect down under,,,,,,the deeper you go the less effect there would be.........but I guess if fish are hanging out at around 5 metres they will be effected......?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 17 Apr 2016 at 10:32pm
sidthefish wrote:
mk1 wrote:

You can buy it at tackle shops. They got big vats of dirty knickers, they boil em up and reduce it like a good stock, sell it in gel or liquid form, but it's heaps cheaper if you pinch one of them sanitary bins outa the Ladies a brew your own.

Now I feel a bit ill...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 6:35am

Why would barometric pressure changes stop at the surface of the water ?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 7:10am

Aussie salmon are a shit fish, worse thing that ever happened up here was when the cannery at Eden closed, they stopped fishing for 'em and for about 4 or 5 winters we were invaded by football field sized schools of aussie salmon.....barely caught a tailor all winter.
Salmon are regarded as vermin up here.

As for the baro pressure, same caught on 'em all varieties of baro. Personally love a rapidly falling one just before an ECL, when we first get the offshores- if the low is south of us. Usually overcast or pissing rain. Thats great jewfish weather.

Feel sorry for you southern men who can't access pelagics off the rocks.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 7:45am

Caught my biggest ever tailor amongst salmon schools.

Bit of a known thing on South coast WA.

Seems to work over East as well, they must be more aggressive as I'll catch them on miscast metals that go wide of the school and you'll see an individual break from the school and nail it . Most times it will be a nice greenback.

I love the salmon.

Don't go out of my way to catch them and will mostly throw them back if I catch one , but it's always good to see any kind of fish make a comeback.

And it's just more food for the larger predators that I like to catch.

Makes my blood boil when I see the old cobbers over east throwing the salmon on the beach to die like carp on the banks of the Murray.

Not that they get treated with any more respect by the Salmon fisherman down south WA catching them for cat food.

wesley's picture
wesley's picture
wesley Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 7:43am
Blowin wrote:

Why would barometric pressure changes stop at the surface of the water ?

Cause water can't be compressed.

It's one of the reasons why under a high pressure system you can get some real drainers of low tides and one of the reasons why you can get really high tides under low pressure systems.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 7:47am

If water can't be compressed why is there greater pressure at the bottom of the ocean than at the top ?

Genuinely interested in this.

wesley's picture
wesley's picture
wesley Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 8:16am
Blowin wrote:

If water can't be compressed why is there greater pressure at the bottom of the ocean than at the top ?

Cause of the depth of the water. Every 10 metres of depth (at sea level and in salt water) is 1 atmosphere of pressure ( or 15.5 psi or 1 bar) so at 10 metres, the water has 2 atmospheres of pressure, at 20 metres 3 atmospheres of pressure and so on. If there is a low pressure system, the height of seawater can change (it'll be a bit higher) due to less atmospheric pressure pushing down on the sea surface and the opposite for a high pressure system. The height of the water can change, but the pressure in the water stays the same.

Laymans terms mate, I'm no Spock!

wesley's picture
wesley's picture
wesley Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 8:17am
wesley wrote:
Blowin wrote:

Cause of the depth of the water. Every 10 metres of depth (at sea level and in salt water) is 1 atmosphere of pressure ( or 15.5 psi or 1 bar) so at 10 metres, the water has 2 atmospheres of pressure, at 20 metres 3 atmospheres of pressure and so on. If there is a low pressure system, the height of seawater can change (it'll be a bit higher) due to less atmospheric pressure pushing down on the sea surface and the opposite for a high pressure system. The height of the water can change, but the pressure in the water stays the same.

Laymans terms mate, I'm no Spock!

14.4 psi... Typo

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 8:20am

But isn't the pressure at depth increasing because of the weight of the water above it bearing down and compressing the water and therefore increasing pressure ?

wesley's picture
wesley's picture
wesley Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 8:29am

Well not really, the water just gets displaced. High and low pressure systems are always adjacent to each other, around high pressure systems the greater atmospheric pressure pushing down on the surface of the water just displaces the water toward an area of low pressure where the height of the water can rise due to less atmospheric pressure pushing down on the surface of the water.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 9:21am

g

The most satisfying fish I've ever caught off the rocks. I've caught bigger and definitely tastier fish but this thing lit me up.

Amberjack caught on a livey jagged from the school that is a dark smudge in the bottom photo.

All kinds of crazy shit happening on this day - large sharks, tuna , macks , even a sailfish smashing shit out of the baitfish.

I didn't want to catch this fish and I let it go but Amberjack are an extremely powerful animal and aren't opposed to fighting dirty so I was pretty stoked to land the thing.

That's why fishing is so cool - an exciting , satisfying excuse to spend time amongst natures beauty and to attempt to learn its ways.

Can't beat a feed of fresh , healthy , organic food caught by your own skill either.

Cheers Ben, you're a legend.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 11:27am

How's the lefthander up the top of the pic blowin?
Btw that water looks amazing

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 12:01pm

Yeah that wave can get really good Goofy.

You'd love it.

The water isn't always as clear there but it does get pretty nice.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 12:21pm

love that spot.

Those seriola's pull hard.

got an 80 pound samson fish off the abrolhos on a snapper winch and the fucking thing almost pulled the gunwhale underwater

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 12:42pm

Nuthin wrong with Aussie salmon if you know how to fillet em and cook em. Great smoked and in curries especially Goan style.

Southern states get to catch KG whiting which shuts everything down. Speaking of which, a mate got 2 x double headers fishing for snapper off Eden last month. ~55 cm ocean KGWs. You'll get like that on pillies in deep water sometimes, but first I heard of em that far north.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 12:43pm

Good times.

You get waves at the Abrolhos ?

PS yes it's a nice spot - stupidly obvious but I can't bring myself to name it.

Love the photo too much to not show it.

As a fisho it doesn't get much better than that.

Didn't even need to put the boat in the water.

Diving in a situation like that is as good as it gets too.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 12:51pm
sidthefish wrote:

Nuthin wrong with Aussie salmon if you know how to fillet em and cook em. Great smoked and in curries especially Goan style.

Southern states get to catch KG whiting which shuts everything down. Speaking of which, a mate got 2 x double headers fishing for snapper off Eden last month. ~55 cm ocean KGWs.

KGs are incredible.

Top 10 fish.

Some of the best KG spots on the south coast WA are amongst the most glorious places on Earth. Then to be able to bag a few fish of that caliber floors me every time.

Hard to beat Oz as a wonderland.

Come on fellas.

Show us a few photos. Don't have to be fish shots.

A spot photo is as good as a line up shot....if you can keep your location cropped your laughing.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 12:55pm

after you've been camping for a week or two at the beach, living on sweaty cheese and stale bread, the free and endless supply of salmon --fresh caught, bleed and cooked -- tastes pretty damn fantastic.

lots of leatherjacket in sydney atm. tasty fish for the taking.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 1:16pm

Shit loads of fish sitting right off the banks around Sydney and surrounds, that's for sure!

Up the coast on the weekend, the water was boiling everywhere with fish just beyond the break, a touch sketchy.

And then there's this shot!!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 1:24pm

That photo is so good Craig.

Notice the big hole in the school above the most obvious shark - that's the sphere of death.

Throw a hooked livey back into the school and this void immediately appears around them. I'd have a heart attack if it happened to me.

How far up the coast did you get Craig ?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 1:31pm

Norah Head region, south and north of there, uncrowded fun beachies..

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 1:35pm

You don't let the grass grow around you do you ?

Great way to be.

Happy days.

It's strange to be genuinely aware about the threat of Noah's over East.

The new normal I suppose.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 1:33pm

Craig - Whiteys insta that bloke riding the marlin...holy shit !

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 1:51pm

Nah, where abouts on his feed?

And Blowin, I don't really worry much at all, some of my mates sketch a little, but coming from SA makes me worry less.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 2:04pm

You're a lucky man.

Fear of sharks, no matter how minor, infrequent or suppressible is a curse.

Or maybe it's an instinct that's saved my life before ?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 2:08pm

Instinct definitely kicks in sometimes.

Actually about a month ago was the first time I actually saw a proper big shark in the water in all my surfing life.

I've seen small ones, but during a crystal clear afternoon surf at Curly, this wave stood up about 20m in front of me and there in the face was the unmistakable shape of a shark.

I've seen tons and tons and tons of shapes and shadows, be it seaweed, schools of fish etc but this one was 90% a 2-3m shark.

Thing is, it wasn't racing through the face or looking threatening just there, and with that I felt calm and kept surfing.

It was cool so I thought I was cool as well.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 2:15pm

Where youre going in May you may just see a larger one.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 2:20pm

Where you off to Craig ?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 2:21pm

You don't miss a beat, hahaha!

Usual haunts Blowin.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 2:31pm

Not sure why Sheepdog is worried about the government's prying eyes.

Udo seems to have access to every scrap of knowledge that man possesses.

PS Not too sure that's how you spell possesses.

Though Even I think I know where you're off too.

I like your low key style, hope you get some good ones.

Good fishing in those parts.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 2:58pm

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 3:17pm

Haha !

That's exactly the type of shit I was hoping to see Freeride.

How good did you feel after landing that longtail off the rocks?

A fish off the stones is worth five out of the boat.

Keep them coming.

Those lures look formidable .

PS. that Jewie is fucking magnificent.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 3:26pm

you should read freeride's story that goes with the pics...it's a beauty.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 3:50pm

Yes story please Steve!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 4:11pm

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 4:32pm

One of my fav go too lures caught many pelagics on red heads.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 4:26pm
mk1 wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
prothero wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

.......good article

ID I understand that actual tides can vary significantly from the expected/charts dependent on barometric pressure.

Sounds even more complicated.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 4:31pm
wesley wrote:

Well not really, the water just gets displaced. High and low pressure systems are always adjacent to each other, around high pressure systems the greater atmospheric pressure pushing down on the surface of the water just displaces the water toward an area of low pressure where the height of the water can rise due to less atmospheric pressure pushing down on the surface of the water.

That's what i was kind of thinking.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 5:08pm

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 7:12pm
Blowin wrote:

Halco laser pro, from Barra to Billfish (accidently) but deadly on Spanish and other pelagics.

A must in every true bluewater fishermans tacklebox.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 7:29pm

good jewie lure off the walls too.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 7:43pm

Some bloody nice fish off the bricks too FR :)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 8:01pm

This is getting good.

Some unreal shots there Freeride, you've nailed some quality fish. Especially off those break walls , they are a mission to land fish off aren't they ?

Digging the lure selections, those vibrating tail plastics in the shot with the trevally are so good for chucking around shallow lagoons and heaps less likely to snag than feather jigs . Everything loves them up here including the Baldies and bluebone so I'm a big fan.

What's up in the photo with the rocks - is that Lennox ?

Christ it'd be hard to land a fish in that mess, no wonder so many crew go arse up getting in and out , I'd forgotten what it looked like .

Keep em coming if you can .

Good to see Fitzroy Chiming in ....aren't you a pro fisho ?

This stuff must seem like child's play.

Cant go past the Lazer pro in the North West. They are like the fucking magic pudding....just keep providing food.

I'd take that as my only lure if I had to choose just one.

Plus a white feather jig as back up, not many fish can resist those things.

Let's hear that story Freeride.....ill give you a start :

It was a dark and stormy night....with a falling barometer.

Seriously would like to hear.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 8:14pm

thats a spot I fish a lot, I'm looking for a GT that just ended up buried in that rock garden, but of course it's gone.

most of the jew I catch are in less than a metre of water, at low tide during the day there's kids making sandcastles there.