Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 12 Apr 2021 at 6:04pm

Came across the other day, something different and a bit raw but still pretty cool

Goofy4's picture
Goofy4's picture
Goofy4 Monday, 12 Apr 2021 at 6:26pm

Bit of Tassie Lounge Room shin dig....

Goofy4's picture
Goofy4's picture
Goofy4 Monday, 12 Apr 2021 at 6:45pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

Love band type family trees/ Lineages especially when all great bands.

Started with Tassie band the Phillstines that moved to SA and even had the odd song on late 80s early 90s surf videos.

The Philistines had a pretty good following on the USA college/uni circuit...I had them as a resident band at a venue for a period of time late 890's until it all went to chaotic shit - pretty sure at least one didn't make it through addictions but Aiden may still be going - doesn't look to me like there are any original Philistines in Rocket Science though...Ive got live recordings on tape in the shed...Philistines/The Cryotics/Suburban Urchins/Insnity Clause - epic

Then from the ashes formed the very underrated Freeloaders not the best quality recording here, but awesome song, they had a few rippers, should have got more attention than they did.

Then from those ashes i believe at least one member went on to Rocket Science, who also have some great songs in that Aussie garage style.

Goofy4's picture
Goofy4's picture
Goofy4 Monday, 12 Apr 2021 at 7:10pm
Goofy4's picture
Goofy4's picture
Goofy4 Monday, 12 Apr 2021 at 7:38pm

Mostly for the hat...........................

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 24 Apr 2021 at 10:29am

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 24 Apr 2021 at 11:42pm

Riffalicious

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Thursday, 6 May 2021 at 6:05am

Precious winter rose
Beautiful and rare
Precious winter rose
In the garden there

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 7 May 2021 at 3:27pm

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 7 May 2021 at 3:39pm

Great song Udo

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 7 May 2021 at 3:44pm

Hats off to Danzig for fighting back against wokeness.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/glenn-danzig-believes-woke-bullshit-and...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 8 May 2021 at 9:14am

Flowers by the door - I had totally forgotten about that song but Herro singing it on his insta made me listen again..

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 11 May 2021 at 5:18pm

I don't know if this is blues or country or what, not normally my type of thing, but it's a cool video and a great song, perfect performance too and an original, great random video, that looking at the views went viral at some stage.

Great lyrics too.

Song starts at 50 seconds in but you have to watch the intro as sets the picture of how relaxed the vibe is.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Tuesday, 11 May 2021 at 5:46pm

squeal piggy squeal...yeeharrrr.........didnt mind it though in a backwoods way

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 11 May 2021 at 5:56pm

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Friday, 14 May 2021 at 4:52pm

Yeah you're too old to cry
Too young to die
What happens in the in between?

https://www.deezer.com/en/track/2457825?autoplay=true

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 14 May 2021 at 7:22pm

tweet tweet tweet.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Sunday, 16 May 2021 at 11:23am

Every song off these guys is unreal, found out about them from castles in the sky and been a fan ever since.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 20 May 2021 at 9:58pm

30 years ago to the week this was number one

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Saturday, 22 May 2021 at 6:26pm

A bit of Roxy Music magic for you. Sweet Jesus, they were good!

&list=OLAK5uy_k6-5yp6NXqzFloprqurGWmHom8SG41bQ8&index=7

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Saturday, 22 May 2021 at 7:21pm

Enjoy responsibly

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 22 May 2021 at 10:11pm

Some great Canadian tunes from 30 or so years ago...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 27 May 2021 at 5:47pm

Digging the new Dinosaur Jr album, like this song bit more of a stoner vibe.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 30 May 2021 at 6:12pm

Tony Hawk sings 'In The City' by The Jam.

Watch to the end...

eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies Monday, 31 May 2021 at 1:20am

Almost cool aye

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 31 May 2021 at 7:47am

Cooler.

Milo Aukerman sings The Dickies.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 31 May 2021 at 8:04pm

Vordus's picture
Vordus's picture
Vordus Tuesday, 1 Jun 2021 at 9:46am

some metal, by yours truly

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 1 Jun 2021 at 4:14pm
GreenJam wrote:

thanks Patrick, I wasn't aware of smelly's board-making.
and great choice of tune. A complex one, one of their best. That album is great for cranking up loud

Yeah Greenjam, I didn't know he shaped.  Have you read their book "The Hepatitis Bathtub..."?

It's a ripper. Anyone into USA punk/hardcore oughta check it out.

I have a lot of respect for the band, they remainded independent and DIY, wouldn't give MTV their music vids, Fat Mike started a label with integrity, they came out of the classic white trash broken home hardship scene watching their friends get stabbed, raped and murdered... crazy stuff... they've always done their own thing and haven't followed trends. And they have fun!

Latest record has some good tunes on it, this is a clip composed of footage from the 80's hardcore scene:

The sentiment of that song aint so much fun though...

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 1 Jun 2021 at 5:03pm

On theme...

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 1 Jun 2021 at 5:10pm

The earth spins...

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 1 Jun 2021 at 5:12pm

Lotta that NOFX footy is from 'The Decline of Western Civilization'. Few snippets appear in 'American Hardcore' too.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 1 Jun 2021 at 5:13pm

It's too late baby...

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 1 Jun 2021 at 5:16pm
stunet wrote:

Lotta that NOFX footy is from 'The Decline of Western Civilization'. Few snippets appear in 'American Hardcore' too.

Ah, ok, you have a good memory.
I looked up the film maker https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Markey

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 1 Jun 2021 at 5:18pm

He was in Suburbia, have you seen that one?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 1 Jun 2021 at 5:33pm

Nah, I haven't, but if you're into LA and DC hardcore, you should definetly check out 'American Hardcore'.

The Decline of Western Civilization is on YT. Dated film style, kinda corny in parts, but it's got young Keith Morris fronting early Circle Jeks and Darby Crash on his own decline.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 1 Jun 2021 at 8:03pm

Cheers, yep, I've seen those.
There's some good scene specific ones too... Maybe a texas one and a Detroit one, not exactly sure, I'd have to look for them again but they were really good... one about the scene Steve Albini grew up in. There was so much going on in those days and so many bands.

I watched the L7 doco recently, it was ok.
Two fave docos are the Mudhoney one and of course the Cosmic Psychos one we've talked about before.

Suburbia is a classic punk movie directed by Decline of Western woman I think.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Wednesday, 2 Jun 2021 at 6:29pm

And talk about life...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 4 Jun 2021 at 5:45pm

Crank up the Volume

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 4 Jun 2021 at 9:06pm

In the spirit of karaoke covers, something for the weekend for the mature gents out there.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Saturday, 5 Jun 2021 at 7:49am

Cool. Singer's voice reminded of Poly Styrene. Funny, I just found this band:

Nofx wrote a song called Nubs about a woman without arms or feet who goes to their shows. This is her covering one of their songs with the band Punk Rock Karaoke (Bad Religion, Dickies, Adolescents, etc, members) https://www.originalpunkrockkaraoke.com/bio

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Saturday, 5 Jun 2021 at 8:00am

She's Nubs

It's kinda hard to wear high heels,
Or slip on banana peels
How does she get in and out of tubs
I hope she don't get mad,

I hope she thinks this song is good not bad
'Cause we think that she's totally rad, she's nubs.
No fingers, no toes,
She doesn't own elbows,
No phalanges no knobby knees to knock
She don't need knuckles or hands
To go see punk rock bands

She's always in the stands, she's nubs
She can't pick up a phone,

She can't get dressed alone
She's got no funny bone, she's nubs
No shoes for feet but we sure do think she's neat,

She's nubs, she's nubs, she's nubs.
I asked her if she want a drink,
I asked her if she liked Toronto,
I asked her to go out to the bar,

But all she said was no, no and no
It was time for us to leave,
So I grabbed and sher sleeve
And told her I'd see her at the next club
She got into a pack
And some guy put her on his back,
She said goodbye and kinda waved her stub
She's got beautiful eyes,
And breasts regular size,
But without calves and thighs, she's nubs
It's hard to give good head
Or get tied to a bed,
When all you've got is a body and head, she's nubs
She's nubs, she's nubs, she's nubs, she's nubs
Oh she may not walk the walk,
And she may not like to talk,
But boy she sure knows how to rock, she's nubs.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 5 Jun 2021 at 12:00pm

Nice work Patrick. Same scene as Poly. This is what Toyah sounded like back in 79.

Keeps herself well for a lady in her 60's.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Saturday, 5 Jun 2021 at 12:51pm

Cool blackers, hadn't heard her before. Toyah & Roberts are great, cheers.

EDIT - ok, it's robert fripp and he's married to Toyah, got it. I know OF king crimson, now time to explore the music and her's too

And that 'I Want Candy' song that Udo posted was also recorded by Bow Wow Wow... who were somewhat related to 'the scene'.

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Saturday, 5 Jun 2021 at 1:58pm

Hey Patrick,

yeah, I picked up the NOFX book a couple of weeks ago, just finished reading a few more chapters before I logged on here. Lovin it. Just had a bit of a laugh about Hefe's counterfeiting adventures and run in with the Secret Service. Its all classic stuff.

and agreed, the new album is pretty interesting. I mentioned above one of their best ever songs - that doors and fours new one is definitely up there now too.

and cool to hear of the Mudhoney doco - hadnt heard of that before, just did a search and found it so will be watching that shortly. They were a favourite - unfortunately never saw them live, but sat out the front of Festival Hall in Bris to listen when I was underage one time - Beasts, Mudhoney and Iggy, good stuff

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 7:06am

Oh fuck, that was dumb, I've only just looked at the videos further up this page, I didn't realise Stu you'd already posted punk rock karaoke. I thought I'd discovered sonething new.

Yeah greenjam, love Mudhoney. Saw them once, first bdo in Melbourne... lots of mud being thrown around. Wish I'd seen other shows.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 12 Jun 2021 at 3:42pm

We had that discussion the other day about if punk could happen again with the woke, cancel culture thing, as Danzig claimed it couldn't as people would be cancelled.

Okay this is rap/hip hop but really this is more punk than anything out there today, he releases all his own stuff so fully independent has the most in your face controversial song lyrics but somehow has blown up this video 5 days old with almost 6 million views and apparently trending at number 4 on YouTube and number 1 on iTunes (didn't even know it still existed)

Its weird that he isn't being cancelled, and just as surprising judging by the large number of positive reaction videos from black folk he seems to have a lot of support there.

Anyway i do like a little bit of hip hop especially old school stuff, and he is pretty clever with his lyrics, but a tad cheesy for me, but still cool to see the push back against wokeness and boundary being pushed.

BTW. Thats Blaire white, famous trans conservative chick.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 14 Jun 2021 at 4:41pm

There are only two genders really i dont care what any hippy uni student says. woke society is a load of crap

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Monday, 14 Jun 2021 at 6:44pm

The political correctness in wokeness must be separated from the socially conscious. Social consciousness now appears hijacked in an umbrella term. I believe they are two seperate things. I hadn't heard the woke word until recently. If the political correct take away from true social consciousness of social activism in its many forms you loose its wider effectiveness. Be it politically correct or not in action and voice. The word woke in regards to all social activism shits me to tears. Politically correct or not. No social change has come without being offensive to one view or another. Positive social change Can't be achieved with out offence in all instances. Art imitates life and isn't always pretty. Social change will stagnate if is suppressed in political correctness. One can't exist with out the other. Umbrella terminology is killing conscious discussion and thought. Punk wouldn't have existed without either.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Monday, 14 Jun 2021 at 6:48pm

The political correctness in wokeness must be separated from the socially conscious. Social consciousness now appears hijacked in an umbrella term. I believe they are two seperate things. I hadn't heard the woke word until recently. If the political correct take away from true social consciousness of social activism in its many forms you loose its wider effectiveness. Be it politically correct or not in action and voice. The word woke in regards to all social activism shits me to tears. Politically correct or not. No social change has come without being offensive to one view or another. Positive social change Can't be achieved with out offence in all instances. Art imitates life and isn't always pretty. Social change will stagnate if is suppressed in political correctness. One can't exist with out the other. Umbrella terminology is killing conscious discussion and thought. Punk wouldn't have existed without either.