Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

Johknee's picture
Johknee's picture
Johknee Tuesday, 28 Sep 2021 at 7:12pm

Might be one of my favourite Lagwagon songs too!

Can recommend the ZZ Top doco on Netflix. It's epic!

Tightest band!!

Bob Sacamano's picture
Bob Sacamano's picture
Bob Sacamano Wednesday, 29 Sep 2021 at 5:43am
groundswell wrote:
One of my favorite tracks by one of my favorite bands

I’ll second that groundswell. Good tune. Great band.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 29 Sep 2021 at 10:28am

One of my top 10 driving songs.

H2O's picture
H2O's picture
H2O Wednesday, 29 Sep 2021 at 10:48am

Mine too!

H2OTHURSDAY, 29 JUL 2021 at 8:21AM
Vale Dusty Hill, ZZ Top bass player now home on the range.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 2 Oct 2021 at 5:42pm

I have been lisatening to a lot blues type stuff lately. now you have to love this!

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 2 Oct 2021 at 5:51pm

Heard hutchy and info get off on Brewster’s album

F7-DB6-DB9-7460-4-A1-F-A0-B3-C73-AB5-DD7-B5-A
mececu

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 2 Oct 2021 at 6:43pm

Talking to cyclones, laughing at emperors.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 2 Oct 2021 at 7:06pm

Great band I caught them a few times over the years

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 2 Oct 2021 at 7:13pm

https://m.

Peace.... :)

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 2 Oct 2021 at 7:24pm

(Tojo video) Great song, i remember being quite young seeing a Gurus cassette in the mid 80s in at an Adelaide City library and for some reason i really wanted to know what it sounded like as the graphics and name really appealed to me, i remember my older friend whom i was visiting said they are crap and it's what writers (graffiti writers) listen too. (not sure why he said that as its generally rap and hiphop that was in that scene)

I didnt hear them until a few years latter though i think through an early Chris Brystrom movie and then as grommets started ordering in albums from bands on surf videos, that was when it clicked that they were the same band id been drawn to visually much earlier.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 2 Oct 2021 at 7:38pm

Love a bit of Gurus.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 2 Oct 2021 at 7:54pm

Stoneage Romeos was a blinder of a debut album.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 2 Oct 2021 at 8:04pm

And a song for Guy.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 2 Oct 2021 at 8:47pm

More this blackers

https://m.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 2 Oct 2021 at 9:31pm

Nice, Neil has always had something going on eh? I looked in vain for Brewsters' album as per your post (dig the title) but the Dandy's kept springing to mind as an almost suitable alternative. They can be quite hypnotic when they get a groove on.

suchas's picture
suchas's picture
suchas Sunday, 3 Oct 2021 at 8:47am

One for the grey nomads and Warhead- are we ready?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 3 Oct 2021 at 1:35pm

Keen to catch thesae guys live when it becomes possible.

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 9:17am

Saw Hoodoo's in '84 ish, but they were blown off stage by this support act.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 2:48pm

Today's WOTD instantly delivered a lovely earworm from one of the world's finest bands.

And also reminded me of something astonishing I found a while back.. which I just confirmed is still the case.

Radiohead's most popular song is Creep, according to Spotify, with 771 million plays. It's 2.5x more popular than their #2 song (on Spotify), Karma Police, with 292 million plays.

I find this amazing, because I've never been a fan of Creep - perhaps because it was fucking EVERYWHERE at the time it came out, but I dunno, it just didn't resonate with me at the time. I never bought Pablo Honey either.

However, everything released since OK Computer has been phenomenal. I was fortunate to see Radiohead live when they toured Adelaide in '95 (at Lennies!), and then again a few years later at the Ent Centre.

I just find it amazing that the one song that most people seemingly like the most about Radiohead, is the one I really dislike. I cringe when I hear it, and put myself out of earshot if I can. Yet, Radiohead are one of my favourite bands.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 2:54pm

Frank Bennet did it better

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 3:06pm
san Guine wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By0AOWGE89U

I fucken love this song. Pretty sure I’ve already put it up here at least once. The sad bit is that the culture in Australia has shifted so far towards the “aspirational” that there is such a huge yuppie population that most people don’t even realise that they have gone to the dark side. Particularly amongst the Fake Left side of the political spectrum.

Plenty of evidence on it just here on Swellnet. Crew that work for unions who look down on the unpretentious working class. They call regular crew bogans or FIFO or grubby subbies…all of which are derogatory terms and all indicative of which side of the class war they now believe they reside. They’re jealous and belittling of tradies cause they can earn decent coin without being a uni graduate.

Whatever happened to the Australian surfer’s dismissal of ostentatious wealth and our admirable lack of respect for pretentiousness? I’ve got way more appreciation for the bloke who pulls up at the beach in his utilitarian Dunny Door wagon than the muppet in the Porsche 4WD.

Anyway…epic song. Clever lyrics and a driving beat. Put it besides Oz Crawl’s Beautiful people in the dying Australian egalitarian genre.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 4:20pm

I agree Ben, I hate that song......though to be honest I don't go much for radiohead anyway. I've been trying to focus on new stuff.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 4:59pm

I get totally overwhelmed looking for new music.

Best I can achieve with my limited time is to put Spotify on 'Release Radar' or 'Discover Weekly'. Found a few gems in there, but often forget to look up the band when they're on (hard when you're driving, sometimes).

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 6:32pm

This is the first known recording of this song. An old American folk song. Same song next post…good to get a comparison.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 6:33pm

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 6:41pm

Ben try The Blues Kitchen on Spotify. They play some really interesting stuff....and some that is way outside my taste zone. They also talk a lot but if you just give the tunes on the playlist a try you will find some gems.

Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 7:47pm
blindboy wrote:

I agree Ben, I hate that song......though to be honest I don't go much for radiohead anyway. I've been trying to focus on new stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WLaWauXW4w

BIG fan of this band. New album has some gems for sure, but i'm not sold on it. Might need a few more spins.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 10:16pm

I preferred the original Roadie.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 10:50pm

Kiwi Tribute...(tbb has never heard of these acts...)
Normally wouldn't stray down this path...but quality tunes are worth sharing with the crew
TV series blasts out some solid Kiwi Tunes...gotta luv that!

Delaney Davidson ~ "So Far Away"

&t=6

If crew dig a down to earth detective show with dirty NZ country/blues sound ... check out...
"Brokenwood Mysteries" > low budget NZ Cop Shop series would easily bag all our Oz Gold Logies
https://iview.abc.net.au/show/brokenwood-mysteries

Crew are also likely to hear a few trax from > Tami Neilson ~"Back to your Arms"

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 6:58am

Nice TBB. Great aesthetic in the clips as well.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 8:42am

Roadkill if you into that sort of stuff you should try Blues Kitchen Radio on Spotify they play blues, soul and R&B old and new. Some clunkers but mostly interesting.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 1:40pm

Dream pop? Well dreams do include nightmares.

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 9:26pm
thermalben wrote:

I get totally overwhelmed looking for new music.

Best I can achieve with my limited time is to put Spotify on 'Release Radar' or 'Discover Weekly'. Found a few gems in there, but often forget to look up the band when they're on (hard when you're driving, sometimes).

Try this Ben. I was putting together a playlist of old favourites and it set me off on a few weird and different directions. Not sure that the algorithm is entirely accurate, but it may spark some interesting retro trips or steer you to some new tunes. (Type the name of a band into the pink box)

https://www.music-map.com/radiohead

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 7 Oct 2021 at 8:07am
Blowin wrote:
san Guine wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By0AOWGE89U

I fucken love this song. Pretty sure I’ve already put it up here at least once. The sad bit is that the culture in Australia has shifted so far towards the “aspirational” that there is such a huge yuppie population that most people don’t even realise that they have gone to the dark side. Particularly amongst the Fake Left side of the political spectrum.

Plenty of evidence on it just here on Swellnet. Crew that work for unions who look down on the unpretentious working class. They call regular crew bogans or FIFO or grubby subbies…all of which are derogatory terms and all indicative of which side of the class war they now believe they reside. They’re jealous and belittling of tradies cause they can earn decent coin without being a uni graduate.

Whatever happened to the Australian surfer’s dismissal of ostentatious wealth and our admirable lack of respect for pretentiousness? I’ve got way more appreciation for the bloke who pulls up at the beach in his utilitarian Dunny Door wagon than the muppet in the Porsche 4WD.

Anyway…epic song. Clever lyrics and a driving beat. Put it besides Oz Crawl’s Beautiful people in the dying Australian egalitarian genre.

100% agree

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 7 Oct 2021 at 8:12am

Regarding Radio head, Ok Computer has to be the most overrated album in the history of music as generally makes the list of many best album list especially 90s music list, i bought it at the time on the back of Paranoid android and Karma police listened to it maybe 50 times two give it a true go, and still give it a spin every few years to see if things have changed, but nah still bland as shit.

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Thursday, 7 Oct 2021 at 8:22am

PJ Harvey and Thom Yorke

Roker's picture
Roker's picture
Roker Thursday, 7 Oct 2021 at 12:22pm

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - Dreamsicle (Live)

Great voice and a sweet slice of Americana.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 11:49am

Thought I’d kick off Friday festivities playlist with an ode to the remote workers who are staring down the barrel of another interminably long hot summer season. I know it’s only early October but anyone who’s done time in the North of Australia knows that this is when things start to get ugly. A 40 degree day can pop up out of nowhere and they fucken hurt when you’re still holding onto the delicious winter vibe of pleasant midday temperatures.

It’s decidedly trendy to write off those heat tempered individuals who toil in the desert heat a long way from convenience and the temperate southern summers. They get written off as bogans by the “sophisticated” urbanites from the cosmopolitan cities which are basically built off the wealth created for the nation by the put upon workers in the scrub.

Stay strong out there guys and girls of the red dirt empire. May your October days remain cool cause troppo season is only days away!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 11:58am

The Spys understood the power of rain to the desert dweller.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 11:59am

Whilst the Oils knew what the first rains of the wet and the breaking of the build up mean for those who live North of Capricorn.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 12:05pm

This is the hokiest song you’ve ever heard in your life, right up until the minute you're half way into the first cold beer after a 10 hour day on a remote job in the Northern Australian summer. All endless empty horizons , back breaking graft and friendships literally forged in the indescribable heat.

Suddenly it’s the greatest song ever written.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 12:26pm

Another one which is borderline nauseatingly synthetic. It’s got a lot going against it- the cynical US market lyrical references and cliches by the shovel load - though it’s redeemed when you learn a bit of Barnes’ background and the fact that it’s an iconic Aussie blue collar anthem.

I used to find these subtle-as-a-house-brick-through-a-window panderings repulsive until I’d hear them belting from a wet mess on a mine in the Kimberlys back in the days when life wasn’t castrated by corporate prerogative. Standing at the edge of the darkness, pissing into the dirt whilst staring up at a night sky filled with more stars than you could credit and the driving beat and scream of Barnsey over the raucousness of a few hundred drunk miners.

Can’t say I wish I was living that life right now but I’m so glad I got to experience it.

The chorus in front of the burning cane was marketing brilliance and a pretty nice capture of an iconic image from the Australian past.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 12:30pm
icandig wrote:

Try this Ben. I was putting together a playlist of old favourites and it set me off on a few weird and different directions. Not sure that the algorithm is entirely accurate, but it may spark some interesting retro trips or steer you to some new tunes. (Type the name of a band into the pink box)

https://www.music-map.com/radiohead

Interesting concept. Kinda reminds me of early 00's Pandora (I think).

I'm familiar with every artist it listed, but part of the problem is that even if I'm recommended a particular band... where do you start?

Take for example Interpol. Loved their first album, a LOT. But nothing after that interests me whatsoever. Dunno why.

What if I'd never heard of 'em, and they'd been recommended - but anything other than their first album? Would I have gotten bored? Or maybe I only liked the first album because it was a reflection of my life at that point in time, and resonated with other things I was doing, and other music I was listening to?

Bloody hell I'm digging a hole here aren't I.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 12:33pm

Fuck me! All this talk of digging, and shoveling, and dirt under your fingernails has really worn me out.

What's Brian got to say about it?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 12:48pm

If you look closely I haven’t reminisced once about the actual labour. There’s just something about a post work piss up after a day’s graft in the desert that got under my skin. There’s probably no better place on Earth to life the life of a clandestine drunk than a remote mine camp. There’s always someone keen for a bevvy and there’s not too many places on Earth that an 8 stubbie Monday night is completely unnoteworthy. There's a lot of newsprint given to the iron ore which leaves the Pilbara but I’m still convinced that it’s number one export is empty tins.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 2:27pm

How ‘bout we just forget the home improvements
Just stop the wall and leave things as they are
How ‘bout we go and live in Barcelona*
All Gaudí boys and girls in tapas bars
Those girls in tapas bars

How ‘bout we eat our dinner ‘round the table
And throw the television down the stairs
Take turns to tell each other fables
Talk only of the things for which we care.

*EDIT: Fuck Covid.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 2:44pm

Pretty cool Stu. Personally relevant I imagine.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 2:45pm

Aye.

Dare to dream.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 4:49pm

Some decent Aussie 90s band gigs coming up

Tumbleweed, Hard Ons, The Meanies, Magic Dirt

Classic Aussie 90s mix

Sadly national tour got canceled but still one Brissy gig

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 6:57pm

A nice tune for a lazy Friday afternoon.