Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 7:24pm

Really nice blackers

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 7:34pm

Look this is more a movie review than anything else. This song is from a movie called December Boys which is available on some streaming service I can’t remember. Anyway I watched it not that long ago and found the film itself to be hauntingly beautiful and very reminiscent of a Tim Winton novel, though it was written well before his time and may have even been autobiographical.

The film firmly struck a chord with me ion terms of the trails and tribulations of coming to grips with adolescence. Particularly the encounter with the female protagonist.

The editing let’s this movie down and as a consequence the narrative can be stilted but I’d still recommend it based on the way it encapsulates the essence of an Australia which is on the precipice of disappearing.

Also noteworthy for the appearance of Daniel Radcliffe during his Harry Potter years, who manages a surprisingly competent Aussie accent whilst showing that the confidence of his celebrity can bleed into offshoot projects and grant them a broader audience than they might deserve but not ordinarily receive.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 7:39pm

Look this is more a movie review than anything else. This song is from a movie called December Boys which is available on some streaming service I can’t remember. Anyway I watched it not that long ago and found the film itself to be hauntingly beautiful and very reminiscent of a Tim Winton novel, though it was written well before his time and may have even been autobiographical.

The film firmly struck a chord with me in terms of the trails and tribulations of coming to grips with adolescence and the wide expanse of our continental island home we were free to explore. . Though particular mention must go to the encounter with the female protagonist. Maybe that’s something between myself and my first who was also beautiful, blonde and insistent?

The editing lets this movie down and as a consequence the narrative can be stilted but I’d still recommend it based on the way it encapsulates the essence of an Australia which is on the precipice of disappearing.

Also noteworthy for the appearance of Daniel Radcliffe during his Harry Potter years, who manages a surprisingly competent Aussie accent whilst showing that the confidence of his celebrity can bleed into offshoot projects and grant them a broader audience than they might deserve but not ordinarily receive.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 8:42pm

Cheers gsco, that song always seems to hit the spot. Nice sentiment, great piano driven melody, good vocals. Stu’s David Bridie number brought it to mind.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 8:44pm

And this from the man himself….

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 9:35pm

Everything about that, the music, his voice, the waves, remind me of camping in a boardbag with my brother at DI as school kids in the late 80s, having hitched a ride on the beach with some wild, blind drunk Aussie fishermen, sitting in the sand dunes fully bent out of our minds breathing in the bounty of empty Australia with absolutely no one else in sight

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 10:26pm

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 10:27pm

Saving the half litre of water not for the rehydration on the 10km walk back to rainbow or camp but for the washing of your nuts. The days when you could sleep in your board bag at the point. Cuddling your mates for fear of hypothermia when the rain set in. The ultimate joy getting a lift by those drunk fishos particularly at the start of the journey there or back. Even better when you drove past your mates hysterical piss laughing , walking with their thumb out screaming abuse at you. The occasional piss the same drunk fisho cunts would throw at you from a bottle as they drove past you 1km out from the 10k hike home. Forgetting all about it that same night sleeping under the picnic table in town bellies full of coke and steak and cheese pies. Getting your licence for the 1st time feeling freedom and driving down the freshie track in your mates piece of shit Land Rover with no brakes at midnight to avoid the cops. Escaping sea snakes, chased by tigers and bronzies. Catching dart and loving it., tailor if you were sober enough. Getting bashed by Gympie cunts. Good times.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Saturday, 9 Oct 2021 at 7:11am

classic bonza, the standard Rainbow-DI camping trip, know it well

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 9 Oct 2021 at 9:00am

Me too.

Almost a SE Queenslander rite of passage.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 9 Oct 2021 at 10:44am

The good old D.I. days are long gone. The place is over run now. Crowds in and out of the water, even mid week. The government have fucked it completely too with cameras at every access point, even Freshy track. Camp zones shrunk so you have to camp on top of your neighbours. Signs everywhere. No camping here etc.
Camp fires banned. Cops up there regularly. Shame

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Saturday, 9 Oct 2021 at 3:32pm

yep, cherish those awesome DI memories fellas, as seeds says, they are gone. Sad.
the latest I hear is you've also got to take a portable toilet with you and empty it each day at a station down at Teewah. Might be other details, but that sounded like the gist of it.

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 9:19pm

One from our trans Tasman brethren

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 9:25pm

From another thread

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 10 Oct 2021 at 10:19pm

Cheers sanGuine, now I have that stuck in my head for the night.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 6:44am

This ones for Sydney

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 6:54am

And this one.

"I get locked down,
but I get up again."

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 9:49am

A slight change of direction...one of my favourite things. Listen to the drums!

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 10:10am

Sick song BB, been giving that one a run recently as well.

Starts slow, even a little naff and then morphs and builds into creative genius.

gragagan's picture
gragagan's picture
gragagan Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 10:53am

Wizard

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 12:47pm

three good songs in a row.

&list=RDMM&index=21

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 1:18pm

And one just for Hutchy

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 2:34pm

Thanks for thinking of me BB .

Just wrote on the Climate Change thread about how good the Thompson Dam is working . Built over a 100 years ago , We must do them better than Mulholland .

It is well managed and the plants and animals in the river and around the dam are thriving . It provides 30% of Melbourne's daily water needs and will hopefully do so for another 100 years .

I don't think the mega de sal plant will be running then . Probably be underwater if Flannery's sea levels predictions come true .

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 4:19pm

Seems appropriate for some reason.

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 6:04pm

in a continuing Kiwi theme

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 6:11pm

Now that's more like it sG.
2 of my faves from that side of the ditch.

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 6:12pm

From around the same time

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 6:22pm

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 6:24pm

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 6:28pm

Saw Ed Kuepper play at the Underground of all places when touring that song. He was not impressed with the venue. Huge fan.

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 6:34pm

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Monday, 11 Oct 2021 at 6:38pm

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 12 Oct 2021 at 6:49pm

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 12 Oct 2021 at 8:07pm

synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 8:28am
blindboy wrote:

A slight change of direction...one of my favourite things. Listen to the drums!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH3JpqhpkXg

interesting story here re coltrane

https://www.theage.com.au/culture/music/after-56-years-buried-in-a-box-n...

synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 8:32am

and some new tricky to ease into the day with

R00ney's picture
R00ney's picture
R00ney Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 9:34am

Love the kiwi stuff, so many great bands
How good was Flying Nun?
Wish i saw Bailter Space. Apparently they still play occaisionally.

synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 10:14am

used to love these guys, never saw them live, but reckon they would have rocked!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 10:30am

I saw them a few times during an Oz tour. Great gigs from memory, though the lasting impression was how the lead singer used flexible air-conditioning duct as a prop, standing in it, bending it over, sometimes doing a handstand in it, so it looked like a big silver slinky gyrating across the stage.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 5:12pm

grajagan, that electric wizard clip n sound is fucking ace.

synchro, seeing the name Head Like A Hole reminded of Fear Factory. I saw them at the Sarah Sands hotel in Brunswick around the time this album came out.

I thought they were supported by HLAH but on reflection I think not.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Wednesday, 13 Oct 2021 at 5:14pm
stunet wrote:

...the lead singer used flexible air-conditioning duct as a prop, standing in it, bending it over, sometimes doing a handstand in it, so it looked like a big silver slinky gyrating across the stage.

The singer of this band used to do that.

synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal Thursday, 14 Oct 2021 at 11:22am

patrick, sarah sands is a blast from the past, reckon last time i was there was L7 in early 90's some time, another good venue that's apartments and (possibly) a gastro pub now

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Thursday, 14 Oct 2021 at 10:53pm

better

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Thursday, 14 Oct 2021 at 11:27pm

(extended lockdown trigger warning)

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Thursday, 14 Oct 2021 at 11:54pm
synchrodogcal wrote:

patrick, sarah sands is a blast from the past, reckon last time i was there was L7 in early 90's some time, another good venue that's apartments and (possibly) a gastro pub now

Would have loved to have been at that show. Fuck the 90's were good.

This clip makes me nostalgic for that time.

- rockin song
- casual dress, no one dressing to be cool or wearing band shirts. (At least, can't see either of those things in the clip).
- guitarist and bass player are tuning while song starts, the guitarist even singing while still tuning.
- drummer busts a hole in his snare.
- no fuckin phones
- look how much fun their all having... woooot!!
- it finishes with Louise yelling "rock n roll, Glastonbuurrrryyyy". Classic :)

R00ney's picture
R00ney's picture
R00ney Friday, 15 Oct 2021 at 10:27am

Used to smash this out at volume when kids next door got out of hand, made ém run inside and be quiet.

Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Friday, 15 Oct 2021 at 10:43am
R00ney wrote:

Used to smash this out at volume when kids next door got out of hand, made ém run inside and be quiet.

Yeahahhh. Have you seen them live? Oh boy.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 15 Oct 2021 at 11:04am

Of all the great artists who died young I think this was the greatest loss. He died at the peak of his powers. What a song! What a performance. (Video? Not so great)

synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal Friday, 15 Oct 2021 at 11:57am

love me some sam cooke, that voice!

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Friday, 15 Oct 2021 at 12:42pm

Haventr heard that cover before. Very goood. I’ve seen shellac a few times over the years. Last time was the metro in Sydney I think last time they were here. I seem to remember albini had several coloured picks strapped to his mic stand. Mid way through set albini stops the gig for a Q&A session. Several nerd high brow questions followed. Then my saffa mate who I took to the gig with me of his guts yells out like the loveable smart arse he is “which is your favourite coloured pick and why”.
Without pause albini yells back “fuck up”.
I was so embarrassed.