caml's picture
caml started the topic in Monday, 13 Jul 2015 at 2:06pm

Discussion about the
"Desert Storm" shaped by Wayne Webster
Ridden and designed by the "Camel"

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 10:03am

It is written on the fin mate & the size , & tell me the front while we're at it. Yes shakman dual foils , usual quads

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 10:33am

Fronts fins: EA
rears: QD2 4.0

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 11:00am

Sounds big thats ok . Fronts are either ea quad or ea thruster . ? Decent start anyway fr .

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 11:06am

What have you got on yours?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 11:19am

What u have are med/big . Feel free to downsize when conditions allow

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 11:33am

I'll take it to Cloudbreak and see how they feel.

They felt loose enough on 3 ft Point waves.

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 11:40am

How much was the desert storm free ride??

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 12:31pm

Mate, you'd have to talk to Webby about that, depends on how you glass it, spray it , what fins etc etc etc.

Compared to the price of hipster surfboards in Byron Bay I thought it was very reasonable

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 12:40pm

All good cheers fr..im over in wa just wanted to work out prices and shipping. I flicked over an email the Other Week. Have to give em a buzz..

tootr's picture
tootr's picture
tootr Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 12:49pm

So how common are the 'anti shark' stripes becoming these days?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 12:50pm

really common

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 27 Jul 2017 at 11:03am

Caml you don't need big fins in guns do you?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 7:46pm

Um gf , depends on the way the winds blowing , phase of the moon , swell period etc but yeah small medium & large are all worth having . Im trying to reduce fin size for the ds model but sometimes you need big fins . How much drive do u want vs how driveless . Or what are the surface conditions vs the length of board u use . Is the wave sucky or flat ? Best thing is tot learn to use fins & systems to your advantage

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 8:07pm

Biggest spam all time on here IMO.
Desert storm Surfboards. !
Classic stuff Camel.
Nice work, looks like a great board tho, good on ya;)
The moon is coming up tonight, period good, swell from the dah dah and winds from the do do......
We will see tomorrow eh.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 8:36pm

Yeah agreed welly but I only did it cos udo started a thread about me so I shut it down& started one that I was happy to be involved in instead . Got friends in high places bro

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 9:03pm

Same result really = good.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 9:04pm

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 9:06pm
caml wrote:

Yeah agreed welly but I only did it cos udo started a thread about me so I shut it down& started one that I was happy to be involved in instead . Got friends in high places bro

Yeah I know

Respect to you.

Haha I might buy one now;)

Peace and big turns.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 10:28pm
tootr wrote:

So how common are the 'anti shark' stripes becoming these days?

Every second board has them !

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 10:46pm

Put some anti shark stripes on ya Forehead tootz might come in handy...

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 6 Sep 2015 at 6:21am

I guess what I meant Caml was just because it's s big board doesn't necessarily mean you have to put big fins in it? Cheers for the reply, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to all that stuff..

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 6 Sep 2015 at 12:21am

Yeah that's right gf . Fins are for beginners .

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 6 Sep 2015 at 6:24am

Ah I'm not sure if you took my last comment the wrong way Caml, I wasn't saying fins aRe for beginners at all. I was saying that when it comes to knowing what fins to use in bigger boards I've got no idea. That's why I was asking on here.

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Sunday, 6 Sep 2015 at 8:07am

Hey goofy, I usually use smaller fins on my 8'0" and 8'6"works well in clean waves, got enough rail in the wave I reckon. I got my fins from Kirk Bierke and it was what he recommended., Fins Unlimited from California, fibreglass great quality good price. Had them for 4 years and they work well.
The template for front and rear is the same, an exact copy of the rear fin in the futures stretch model. https://futuresfins.com/en-us/stretch-quad-honeycomb-blue-2310-105-40-de...
I some times use a smaller 340 futures which has 4 inch base and 3 and 3/8 high to loosen it up a bit, everything works.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 6 Sep 2015 at 9:27am

Goofy . Dont worry about what I said . Wasnt really meant for you . U have to remember im an alaia / finless / boogyboarder so I can say stuff like that for a joke .re fins are for beginners . I believe derek hynd is correct saying that when tom blake begun using fins it made it very easy & limited the pre fin era free feel . Crustt I too got some of those fins from kirk b . I dont believe that the 4 all the same size works well , I find bigger in front & a bit smaller in rear go better . BUT I agree small fins are good . For the ds model I recommend standard quads . Not big , try to keep the drag minimal , use as small as possible.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 6 Sep 2015 at 11:05am

Cheers Crustt and Caml

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 25 Sep 2015 at 8:10pm

Freeride, Cloudbreak DS report ?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 29 Sep 2015 at 8:24am

Coming, the chooks have destroyed my vegie garden and the weeds are up over my head in the citrus orchard. Got some work to do.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 7 Oct 2015 at 3:06pm

Ballina Advocate : Webster talks of his business suffering due to shark attacks/sightings.

mozzie's picture
mozzie's picture
mozzie Wednesday, 7 Oct 2015 at 7:04pm

I surfed Lennox/Ballina on the weekend and on Saturday crew were buzzed out of the water by the shark spotting chopper at Boulders and Shelly Beach. It made for uncrowded conditions for the Sunday dawn patrol...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 13 Oct 2015 at 6:11pm

Freeride ,Desert Storm Fiji ride report ?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 2:31pm

It was mostly 6ft and solid the whole time we were there, couple 6-8ft days and just generally heaps of power and girth. Tradewinds blowing which made for wooly take-offs.
Paddling the DS into the line-up felt so deluxe, like wearing a suit of armour, like being ten feet tall after scratching in on a 6'3".
So smooth ,with the weight and the entry rocker, paddling in felt so damm good. The whole time I was thinking shit, if I had the balls I could paddle into a 10-12ft wave on this. Really, really nice loaded up deep bottom turns and with the area in the tail and quad set-up , easy riding arc off the top.
Nice stable platform to hit the brakes, bury the arm and stand in the barrell. You could ride forward, like an old single fin because of the area and thickness up front.

Only foible was getting trapped into inescapable tube rides down in the shish kebab section, that didn't feel so good getting creamed on the reef with a heavy 7'6" and four fins.

To be honest, it almost felt like cheating, and also to be honest, I was a bit over-gunned. I already spoke to Webby about getting some smaller ones made. Would have loved to have had a quiver of Desert Storms over there.
Big boards= rewards.

Very reluctantly I've sheathed it in a cover and put it under the house, knowing, unless we get a miracle I won't be able to ride it at it's full capacity until next autumn/winter.
Fuck, I'd love to get it out at maxing Outside Corner.

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 3:03pm

yeeewwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 3:04pm

Great review fr , but don't be afraid to put some smaller fins in & ride it in small waves . Interesting that you found it concerning to wipeout with . And that partly explains why I make sure all mine have blunt nose and tail with fins that don't have razor edges . Some people are getting normal noses on the DS but I don't agree with this option . That's cos webby is catering for those poor fools that don't understand the blunt nose . I like how you said it's like you are cheating , well thats right but you could say ; like I do "why would you make it so hard for yaself with an anorexic thin board "

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 3:06pm

Ive got a 70 on the way narrow rnd pin thruster ds...cant wait!!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 3:07pm

Freeride , was pistol Pete surfing a DS there ?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 3:09pm

I love the blunt nose, so stoked that that has come about.

Been talking to Greenough for years about the dangers of pointy noses.

Might get some smaller fins eventually Caml but right now the bank account is in the red and needing repair.

Penmister, what dims on the 7'0"?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 3:09pm

I didn't see Pistol Pete there Udo? Was he there same time?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 3:17pm

Around same time I think ? staying Namoutu

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 3:19pm

19.5. 3 44L. ..same as the website . 6 on the bottom and 2x6 on top..half inch stringer..im on a 60 now but the spirit is gone it...need some knew blood...

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 3:35pm

So going from 31l to 45l be good.. been over the falls to many times on 6-0 when theres been decent waves..

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 3:42pm
freeride76 wrote:

I love the blunt nose, so stoked that that has come about.

Been talking to Greenough for years about the dangers of pointy noses.

Might get some smaller fins eventually Caml but right now the bank account is in the red and needing repair.

Penmister, what dims on the 7'0"?

Fr sandpaper will work . & penmr use a thin stringer . Imo . Udo pete was there im Suprised they didn't meet

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 4:46pm

Might of got the glass wrong its 6 - 6 + 6. Thin stringer for a smaller ds camel?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 27 Jul 2017 at 11:04am

The paddling and wave catching ability on it is rediculous. Still haven't used it in waves it was really made for but so far it's been a treat

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 7:22pm

Penmister I understood the glass first time ok thats absolutely minimum but great . I make sure it's double filler coated too . .if you read all the info I always write & presumably its in this thread earlier . I explained why to reduce stringer to less.. you will save so much damage if you make the shell strong . No dings resale long life no cracks in fins the list goes on . But by putting strength in the center of the board I just don't get it . So many modern boards have proved to be Stringerless & work . Everything can snap but a couple of 6oz each side with a thin stringer surfs best imo . Put years of testing behind the theory . If there was really good quality stringers with guaranteed strengths maybe it would be different . But as is the wood is mainly a traditional thing . Standard blanks anyway , Maurice has told about the high quality apple core stringers in the us that cost more then yeah , different story . But for now that's how I think

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 7:40pm

Its in webbys hands now camel..i trust he will make me a sick board...

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 7:42pm

Thanks for helping out..

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 9:59pm

Everyone is liking them & I think webby gets better every time he shapes a newbie

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 10:09pm

.im sure ill like mine too camel cant wait....

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 20 Oct 2015 at 9:24am

Caml, youre getting a good wrap from Webby and Pistol Pete re your input into the DS model..well done

And Pa Pistols got one ....which is fucking unreal....soon to see a 60yr old in some stand up pits !