caml's picture
caml started the topic in Monday, 13 Jul 2015 at 2:06pm

Discussion about the
"Desert Storm" shaped by Wayne Webster
Ridden and designed by the "Camel"

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 13 Jul 2018 at 5:10pm

Awesome, good luck and let us know how you go!

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Saturday, 14 Jul 2018 at 4:02pm

Very curious to hear more, Goofy. Guessing you'll be very happy.

Today was even better than yesterday, and the DS went like a dream. Clean 2xOH.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 14 Jul 2018 at 9:01pm

IB, it was a little bit big for the beachie I surfed today, lots of closeouts, duckdiving/bailing and getting pushed out of position.
Hopefully during the week is better.
Awesome you scored though! Well done

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Sunday, 15 Jul 2018 at 7:23am

So what sort of bottoms on these DS.....? and are the rails thick or rolled off.?

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Sunday, 15 Jul 2018 at 12:26pm

Light vee in front half running into spiral vee (or vee double concave, if you like) on the shorter ones. Vee all the way on the big beasts. Makes for a very smooth ride.

Flat deck, but rails are tapered a bit. What I'm trying to say is, that it's a high volume 3" board that feels like a normal 3" board in your hand.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Sunday, 15 Jul 2018 at 11:19am

thanks ib

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 17 Jul 2018 at 8:43am

One more yesterday: 4ft semi closeout, but powerful, beachie. How good is it to get in early and set up the barrel to annihilation!

drodders's picture
drodders's picture
drodders Thursday, 19 Jul 2018 at 7:53am

I just had my 6'10 in Fiji. We had a week surfing Frigates from 2-6ft, the trades were up, had glass off periods occasionally, DS left my short board for dead in the wind, especially off the top turning back into the wind. I surfed as the 2+1 from 2-4ft, was loads of fun, then as a quad on the larger days. Worked well as both. Very similar wind conditions (strong) to the Illawarra that drew me to the DS in the first place. I could confidently take this as a one board quiver to Fiji or other places with grunt.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Thursday, 19 Jul 2018 at 8:24am

On ya, Drodders!
And how good does that momentum feel when setting up a big section, ay.

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Wednesday, 8 Aug 2018 at 8:26pm

Great reviews and in those windy conditions.
Its amazing how an offshore wind can make a heavy board become light and flighty from the updrafting wind on a big faced wave

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 9 Aug 2018 at 11:37am

nothing better than paddling into the wind on a big wave on a heavy board and feeling that momentum take you over the ledge

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 9 Aug 2018 at 4:00pm

Hell yes that's the best.

Heck's picture
Heck's picture
Heck Thursday, 9 Aug 2018 at 5:34pm

Hi,
Looking for a beefed up stepup for indo. Considering a DS.. Current stepup: 6'3 19'3/4 33.5lts. Looking for around same size but approx 36-38lts. I'm 5'8 height approx 70kg. Middle aged. DS? Or would this size DS 'defeat the purpose' of a DS. Realistically, looking at waves 4-6ft. Any comment/suggestions?
Cheers

Heck's picture
Heck's picture
Heck Thursday, 9 Aug 2018 at 5:55pm

Ps, nice looking 6'3 DS on webster surfboards insta/fb..

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Friday, 10 Aug 2018 at 10:52am

Heck, have a look at the webster website in desertstorm section they show a basic table for measurements.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 12 Aug 2018 at 7:49pm

8mm Paulownia skinned Desert Storm inspired
6'6 x 20.25 x 3' @ 43litre - ludberts insta

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 12 Aug 2018 at 8:14pm

Fuck mate please ask someone to show you how to put up a link

It’s getting ridiculous now and for some reason I find it incredibly frustrating that you refuse to learn!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 12 Aug 2018 at 8:38pm

Yes. i agree.....tomorrow i shall seek assistance.
Only just learnt yourself eh?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 12 Aug 2018 at 8:55pm

Ha ha I’ve known for a while now. But yes it took me a while.

You always have good info but it’s a pain in the arse to have to look elsewhere to see it!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 12 Aug 2018 at 10:00pm

tayla hanak insta

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 13 Aug 2018 at 6:08am

:-0

NoMoRubber's picture
NoMoRubber's picture
NoMoRubber Thursday, 23 Aug 2018 at 11:26am

Hi All Recently found the DS article while searching the interwebs and am looking for a little guidance on sizing. Hopefully someone's been in my scenario. Amazing looking board!

I moved to Singapore 2 years ago and have been revamping my quiver from fishes used on the east coast of the US, to boards meant for my most common surf weekend, indo. Was surfing boards in the 33 liter area but recently bought a 6'6" @39.

So sizing reco's is 2 fold. 1st off with a new baby my workout routine had went into the toilet. Over the last 18 months have seen myself go from 6ft and a fit 83 Kg's, to at my grandest 93 Kg's :O.
Secondly to add salt to the wound I dislocated my shoulder surfing Sumba in late April. On the bright side with PT I've been in the gym + swimming 5-6 days a week.

So sizing wise before the Sumba trip I hadn't considered anything longer than a 7'0". I was on a 42L 6'10",and was consistently dropping in late, missing waves, & generally eating doughnuts in the solid OH to 2 x OH surf. I'm sure a major part of the prob is me being out of shape, but I jumped on a borrowed 8'6" gun and my problems disappeared.

The guy I borrowed the board from suggested getting an 8'0" but then I saw the DS & figured a 7'6" would = your typical 8'0" guns foam. I'll get the weight off but am more concerned abut making life easy on my shoulder. Considering there's minimal current to deal with in indo do you guys think I'd be able to deal with a 6'10" @ 48 liters or should I go the full monty 7'6"? I'm above average in ability but prob only get a weekend in the water every 6-8 weeks if that helps. If anyone's had a shoulder injury would appreciate your insight.

Cheers

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 23 Aug 2018 at 8:41pm

Go the 7'6 ......

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 23 Aug 2018 at 9:34pm

foam is your friend

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Thursday, 23 Aug 2018 at 10:22pm

Looking at getting a 7.0 next week but i am surfing 2 to 4 times a week as you are in doubt go 8.0 or more don't mess about

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Thursday, 23 Aug 2018 at 11:00pm

Dolly Doctor maybe?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 24 Aug 2018 at 5:53am

Come on mate not everyone is a hard core west oz hell-man who never needed no pricks advice on nuttin

NoMoRubber's picture
NoMoRubber's picture
NoMoRubber Friday, 24 Aug 2018 at 10:48am

Funny enough I checked Dolly Doctor but got some weird results searching "board sizing after injury"...

Thanks guys I was leaning towards more foam. Hope to do a pick up in October

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Friday, 24 Aug 2018 at 11:07pm

Interesting. There is a simple, but elegant, solution. A succinct, perhaps even zen like solution. So, in a nutshell, for those still coming to grips with, for those doomed to wrestling with their 'thickness', so to speak, and perhaps simultaneously those struggling with 'beaked' noses and highly polished, gleaming domed finishes, there is a solution. In the vein of the great ones, for those who require more hogey's heroes like, stupificational offerings, in a nutshell, its probably best to simply say... again...

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Friday, 24 Aug 2018 at 11:08pm

'No'

morg's picture
morg's picture
morg Wednesday, 5 Sep 2018 at 1:41pm

I’m curious as to what size fins you would have on a 9.6 gun versus say a 6.6 or 6.8 step-up in bigger waves. Are they generally bigger or smaller, or is it one of those ‘it depends’ things. I’m 85 kg and like the Shapers ML driver quads in my step ups. A guy told me that the quad rear fins should have 50/50 foil too. What do you guys think?

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Wednesday, 5 Sep 2018 at 11:35pm

Don't know about quad fin set ups but with thruster big boards you can use generally smaller fins (something equivalent to fcs g5 size or so, maybe even a slightly larger rear fin g7 can work too) in guns with narrower tails, less drag and the gunny/narrower tail provides the grip, really short wide tail boards bigger fins to control the speed generated from the width, although something like a step up 6,8 could run almost the same 5,s or 7,s . Not sure if fcs still make those models anymore but something close, glassed on work better in everything but that does depend on personal opinion as per quads I guess. I see a majority of new guns and guys who are getting their first big boards with quads but feel that may be fashion over function to a degree and will also depend on where you are surfing said equipment.

morg's picture
morg's picture
morg Thursday, 6 Sep 2018 at 10:08pm

Thanks Mike

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 12 Sep 2018 at 5:08pm

Would one of these be good at 4-6 ft jakes in say 6'6 but pretty thick , in clean conditions and also messy conditions?
Ive put weight back on so my 6'9 is too thin for the rippy paddle at jakes and my other boards are too flat for the steep takeoff.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Monday, 24 Sep 2018 at 3:07pm

I've never surfed Jakes, sadly, but no issues so far with sucky waves. And the DS eats messy conditions for lunch, just glides through it.

Can't quite believe my DS. Got it for what I thought would be 2 or 3 times a month conditions, but I've surfed it more than 20 times in 2 1/2 months. It makes solid but messy days so much fun and lets you set up quick barrels at semi-closeout beachies. Super excited about all the places I want to surf it.

nozawaman's picture
nozawaman's picture
nozawaman Wednesday, 30 Jan 2019 at 4:52pm

I have a 6'4" DS 40ltrs , and while I liked the feel of the board from the get go I sort of plateaued with dialling it in and finding the sweet spot .
WELL FARK ME !!!!!
I put a set of large quads in it this morning , and it came alive..... loose , with heaps of drive . I couldn't believe it was the same board .

kavachi's picture
kavachi's picture
kavachi Tuesday, 9 Apr 2019 at 11:13am

anyone else running quads in their DS? been running PC5 thrusters in my 6'8 X 43L in less than pedal to the metal conditions (the DS works in anything, hence being on it when I should be on my shorty) thinkin that'd shorten the turning circle a bit. but like Noza, taking a while to get used to that on-top-of-the-water feeling. maybe quads'll add a bit of drive and on-rails feeling without losing manoeuvrability. Using MF1 fronts and GXQ rears in the heavy stuff. Have to leave em in next small day and see how she turns!

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Tuesday, 9 Apr 2019 at 4:22pm

Yeah kavachi I have a DS 6' 8" @ 47ltrs with Futures EA Quads. I'm certainly no fin expert but this set up goes amazing. I'm still blown away how maneuverable the DS is. I thought it might not go so well is smaller waves but that is certainly not the case.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 24 Apr 2019 at 2:47pm

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Wednesday, 24 Apr 2019 at 4:50pm

FR whats the tail shape / dims?

Nice spray job

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 24 Apr 2019 at 5:10pm

thats a baby swallow.

6'6" by 19'1/2" by 2'3/4".

38 litres.

From the dims and photos it looks bulkier than it is but under the arm it feels a lot finer foiled, lighter and high performance than that.

I'd say total freedom in any kind of line-up with wind or bump or current in the 4-8ft range and maybe something really loose and free feeling in 6-10ft surf if conditions felt right.

I'm not even going to wax it up until something shows on the weather map.

In a good May you might ride it every day.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 24 Apr 2019 at 5:35pm

Any photos of that Dave Parmenter FR?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 24 Apr 2019 at 5:37pm

yeah I do, I'll whack 'em up in the other thread after dinner

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 24 Apr 2019 at 5:52pm

On Webbies insta up against the horizontal grooves of roller door really show off that planshape
Disregard the spray....it has a Mcabe look about it.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 24 Apr 2019 at 6:04pm

definitely does.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 24 Apr 2019 at 6:26pm

FR So thats yours, was looking at it on insta the other day thinking what a great outline it is....

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Wednesday, 24 Apr 2019 at 7:55pm

I thought it looked pretty dam fine FR, numbers confirm, given its a DS looks like it will do the business to me.

I have a new 7 ft DS waiting for a local fickled wave to fire..............the season just kicked off...............board just keeps talking to me..........cant wait to launch over the edge come what may.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 24 Apr 2019 at 8:32pm

Nice.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 24 Apr 2019 at 10:32pm

Get it down here this weekend freeride

First one I’ve seen with a swallow too

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Thursday, 25 Apr 2019 at 7:52am

FR have you posted pics of the new parmenter board?