Swellnet and politics

blindboy's picture
blindboy started the topic in Saturday, 19 Nov 2016 at 11:19am

Why we represent something important!

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Tuesday, 12 Mar 2019 at 3:04pm

I don't like Barnaby on our team. No humility whatsoever and no respect for his team. I wish he would go away. Don't go away angry Barnaby just go away.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 12 Mar 2019 at 3:29pm

@Guy

Hindsight as we know is a beautiful thing, looking back on things we can almost always see things so much clearer.

Reality is Howard was correct there was a problem developing with boat arrivals and lack of border security, the numbers show that especially moving into the Rudd/Gillard era, no body can deny that, its just reality.

The world stats on refugees increasing confirms why, and then adding other factors like the internet and easy sharing of information are certainly factors in pushing things further.

Yeah sure by all means there is argument that Howard support of military involvement in the middle east didn't help things (although i think there is a much more complex issue there that i don't have the knowledge to even discuss)

BTW. Can you show me where i said "what Howard says is 100% true" i don't recall every saying that, and i can't see where I've written it?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 12 Mar 2019 at 3:32pm

@Guy

Im curious why do you have an issue with plane arrivals????

Why should the government have an issue with plane arrivals?

(you already know my issue with plane arrivals but its not a view you or the government share)

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 12 Mar 2019 at 3:57pm

@LL you could add the AU government's poor response to Timor & West Papua to your list as well as following the US into Vietnam but I see all that as very bad foreign policy failures that saw refugees on the move. Foreign policy failures and migration/refugee policy are linked but very different.

@indo, FS, just reread your posts today, lazy sod! Yes things heated up during Howard's time but rather than reach across the dispatch box and seek bipartisanship from Labor he elected to pander to the lowest common denominator, to counter Hanson, and once that genie was out of the bottle it was never going back. It was Howard's decision to play the race card ... Tampa, kids overboard all in the name of grubby votes and it continues today with Morrison and Dutton.

For the umpteenth time my only interest in tourists arriving here by plane and claiming refugee status is to highlight the staggering hypocrisy and lies surrounding LNP government policy between the two refugee groups. All that bullshit about "child rapists and murderers" demonising refugees on Nauru and Manus, lets reopen Xmas Island to keep Australians safe yet as I have highlighted many times people claiming refugee status off a plane self assess their security clearance. What knucklehead answers those questions honestly if they have committed serious crime? Not even George Pell, an apparent man of God, could answer those questions truthfully.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 12 Mar 2019 at 5:41pm

The real reason Barnaby is in the nose with the Nats (…and everyone else)

“The non-spill by non-leader of the Nationals Barnaby Joyce on such a non-issue as building a new coal-fired power station somewhere in Queensland, which will not happen, does not deserve media coverage. Over and over, however, Joyce gets the attention anyway, simply by spouting so much nonsense that it demands to be reported. Joyce’s interview with RN Breakfast host Fran Kelly yesterday was so deranged that she had to ask him to calm down, and former Liberal senator Amanda Vanstone expressed concern for his mental health. It is harmless enough: Joyce could hardly damage the government’s prospects any further, given how terrible they are already.
Contra Paul Kelly in The Australian today [$], there is no Coalition unity left to sink – whether you think the Nationals and Liberals are married or otherwise. In fact here is one spill that might almost be transaction-cost free: who would mourn present leader Michael McCormack? Perhaps only Prime Minister Scott Morrison himself, who today dubbed his dynamic duo “ScoMo and MickMac”, in a lame throwback to the partnership between Robert Menzies and his longtime deputy, Country Party leader John “Black Jack” McEwen. Feeble doesn’t cover it.
Reality check on Barnaby Joyce. Last night at the Sydney launch of The Australia Institute economist Richard Denniss’s latest book, Dead Right, a farmer from the Liverpool Plains, Paul Nankivell, got up to ask a question, which for today’s purposes can be taken as a comment. Denniss had been arguing that the right have killed off neoliberalism by abandoning its central tenets – for example, by advocating big government when it suited them – and the coal spruikers like Joyce and his colleague Matt Canavan got plenty of dishonourable mentions. The Nankivells are prominent opponents of coal and coal seam gas fracking on Australia’s best farming country, and, by the way, live in Joyce’s electorate. Nankivell said the federal government’s last-ditch effort to boost coal before the election was a sideshow – Adani’s mine wasn’t going to happen; Shenhua wasn’t going to happen, Angus Taylor’s new coal-fired power stations weren’t going to happen.
“The most destructive thing Joyce has done is to water,” Nankivell said. “The Murray-Darling Basin [Authority] was a nascent organisation, put there in good faith between the states and the Labor government, and that was rorted, and rorted very efficiently,” he said. “It’s the most efficient thing he’s has ever done, brutally. Now, the cost to the economy of reparation is going to be a major problem for the incoming Labor government. Barnaby Joyce is playing both ends of the river off – he’s done the classic divide and conquer stuff – can you tell us how you see that playing out because water is the instrument of survival in the regions?” The gravity of what he was saying was abundantly clear to an inner-city audience. If or when a federal royal commission into the Murray-Darling Basin is held, Joyce is on the hook.

Nobody seems to want Joyce back. The Nationals deputy leader, Bridget McKenzie, slammed him today, saying Australians were frustrated that the former deputy prime minister was “not focused on their needs and issues”. Even Keith Pitt, one of the prime movers behind the Queensland Nationals’ ill-timed push for new coal-fired power stations, today downplayed the prospect of a leadership spill that would reinstall Joyce. A leadership challenge two months from a federal election? Why not? Bob Hawke challenged Bill Hayden closer, and won. Go right ahead! As Dirty Harry might say, make our day.”

Paddy Manning in The Monthly’s Briefing today

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 12 Mar 2019 at 6:15pm

@Guy

Okay you interpreted my comment wrong, maybe i worded it badly.

I was talking about Ruddock in that video and his views that everything he says in the video is 100% true, not talking about Howard,i was replying to Blindboy on his views on him.(Ruddock)

"I don't know much about the guy, never followed politics during the Howard era, but everything he says is 100% true, i read your crappy bias Saturday paper and Guardian links so do your self a favour and educate yourself and watch the video from start to finish."

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 13 Mar 2019 at 12:38am

"where i grew up, it was a western liberal democracy based upon christian values. the most important of these values was christ's teaching that we should treat others as we would like to be treated.
these are basic australian cultural values.

some people like skypan, indo dreaming and loungelizard seem to be reject australia's culture and values. why?"

Well chook raffle, that's exactly what I'm doing. I'm not too interested in the christ mumbo jumbo bit, but I'm interested in this universal values bit..."treat others as we would like to be treated."

Which means looking after and rewarding those that are stuck in a shithole camp with no other avenues before rewarding someone who's throwing their money and influence around by cheating the system.

Simple as that mate.

Different priorities, different perspectives. I think you guys are rejecting the aussie culture and values of a fair go, why???

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 16 Mar 2019 at 3:47pm

I posted this the other day.

17:20 Dude flees Iran because converts from Islam to Christianity....funny thing is religion isn't now not that important and rarely goes to Church

17:45 Dude is cleary busted....Yep this is how you play the system.

Just saw this video, it's really not that far fetched that Australian refugee advocates are also coaching refugees on Nauru and Manus to game the system.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Saturday, 16 Mar 2019 at 3:59pm

"As I have observed, those who plow iniquity, and those who sow trouble, reap the same." - Job 4:8

https://www.smh.com.au/national/morrison-sees-votes-in-anti-muslim-strat...

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Saturday, 16 Mar 2019 at 5:54pm

Another Librat gnaws away at the Sinking Ship...
I supersized the resignation list (p2) to include latest Lib deserter MP Craig Laundy

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Friday, 5 Apr 2019 at 7:29pm

Julian Assange is being expelled from Ecuador Embassy or is he?
Internet/Oz media is in hyperdrive wishing & reporting he has hours now minutes..
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/ecuador-denies-wikileaks-claim-julian...

tbb is unsure of Business Insider swimming against the tide but seems legit!

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Saturday, 6 Apr 2019 at 9:12am

Assange has been out and about for years.Google Orville Peck great disguise from Julien but can he keep getting away with it for to much longer.