What's what?

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon started the topic in Friday, 6 Nov 2015 at 7:48pm

AN ALL-ENCOMPASSING KALEIDOSCOPIC JOIN-THE-DOTS/ADULT COLOURING BOOK EXPERIMENTAL PROJECT IN NARCISSISTIC/ONANISTIC BIG PICTURE PARASITIC FORUM BLEEDING.

LIKE POLITICAL LIFE, PARTICIPATION IS WELCOME, ENCOURAGED EVEN, BUT NOT NECESSARY.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 6 Sep 2017 at 5:55pm

Sweet Jesus! Too much blow-back!

It's like Mayweather & McGregor all over!

And as one-sided?

Anyway, this is how you really do it!

http://beachgrit.com/2017/09/breaking-webbers-pool-secret-revealed/

Comments are gold too.

My fave:

Je suis Longtom (aka our very own Freeride76).

Ya gotta laugh.

Shatner'sBassoon Wednesday, 6 Sep 2017 at 6:27pm

Bugger all that noise.

THIS IS SERIOUS!

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2017-09-06/sloane-to-miss-final

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 6 Sep 2017 at 9:03pm

Ok Gaz - Here's one example of how it worked.

I had some friends that worked large civil and infrastructure projects in the North of Australia.

Fertiliser plants , mines and LNG plants. Particularly LNG plants.

They built them in Darwin and WA. Several plants experience amongst the large team. They'd rebadge their shirts for each project but it was quite an incestuous little world as some industries are.

As their latest project was wrapping up they all applied for work at an extra large LNG plant that was to be built by an XXXXXXXX company.

None of their applications were successful despite all their inside knowledge from crew already on the project. They were surprised to say the least. Rumours started circulating and were then confirmed when an entire 150 person crew from XXXXXXX started work in the same roles they'd been told they weren't successful in.

The outfit that employed the XXXXXX crew was owned by a bigwig in the XXXXXXX energy company building the place. He'd side stepped Australian labour laws regarding 457 visas to get his own crew making him money.

The XXXXX would not strike over reduced conditions and if safety concerns were raised they'd look the other way. Why not ? Their own economy was in the toilet and they were angling for permanent residence.

So now there is two complete crews chasing the same job.

Then another crew gets introduced under lax 457 visa regs.

So when the current upgrade of another LNG plant commences there is so much competition for work that an Australian energy company now offers a massively reduced pay and all workers are casual rather than full time.

I could honestly list another dozen examples off the top of my head.

Similar to the way the Minerals rent tax was played out to uncomprehending East coast voters, so was the " labour shortage " of the mining boom.

Ask anyone that tried to gain a foothold in the industry....it was nigh impossible without good contacts for skilled workers. Mining positions were advertised with excess of 5000 applicants on occasions.

Yet still the floodgates opened.

Gina Reinhardt attempted to get an all Indonesian workforce at her project.

A XXXXXX state owned iron ore mine tried to get their ENTIRE project declared XXXXXXX territory with an Australian customs office at the project runway . They had to settle for hundreds of XXXXXXXX engineers that were receiving a pittance of their Australian counterparts with atrocious rosters to boot.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/foreign-mine-worke...

It's a total rort.

workchoices in a Trojan horse. Exactly the same outcome.

There are some crazy stories and it's so widespread as to be commonplace.

Its the obvious reason for the decimation of wage growth in Australia and people whose children are facing a greatly reduced standard of living that they enjoyed are told that to question the situation is racist.

Look at the pillorying Dick Smith is getting for daring to question the immigration ponzi scheme that is fucking Australians with a pincer attack of increased house prices and reduced incomes.

Blows my mind.

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Wednesday, 6 Sep 2017 at 9:02pm

gaz, dunno what exposure you've had but the hospitality and (residential) building industries are very dodgy. pick a 'cheap' builder and watch closely who turns up to build your house.....there is no way in hell these guys are being paid award, half of em cant even speak english or have overstayed their visa. not that that is necessarily required but it kind of fucks your chances of arguing after the fact when you didnt get paid for the job.

chin's picture
chin's picture
chin Wednesday, 6 Sep 2017 at 9:33pm

I've experienced first hand (in WA) what Blowin is talking about, all true. That state is just a free for all. Another recent trend keeping wages down is the explosion of recruitment agencies, which goes hand in hand with the mass casualisation of the workforce. The labour hire game is so competitive that they have to submit increasingly lower offers to employers, at the expense of the people actually doing the work. Fuck labour hire companies, parasites.

stuck-in-darwin's picture
stuck-in-darwin Thursday, 7 Sep 2017 at 3:36am

I see a few people have mentioned 457 visas. The construction industry in the NT is getting flogged by 417 visas. Giles and Abbot reclassified all of the NT(including Darwin) as remote. So all the backpackers and we've got shitloads of them(more than Byron) get a 12 month visa extension after 3 months work. So most of them are working on an ABN number which is encouraged and assisted by the majority of companies. Flat hourly rates, no penalty rates, no super, no compo(definition of a worker under NT legislation), no union membership and best of all they don't pay tax which is really good for OZ. I am a trainer/assessor in high risk work licensing and I have not put an Australian through a personnel hoist(only assessor in the NT that assesses this licence class) ticket in over 3 years. All backpackers. 7 years ago locals on ABN were getting on average about $35.00/hr.. The going rate now is $20.00 to $25.00/hr. and they are all backpackers. I've got nothing against backpackers. It's just that they have fucked it for the people that live here. If you hear your local pollies talking about rezoning because farmers can't get labour be afraid, VERY, VERY AFRAID. So yes it is happening and dodgy, shonky companies are exploiting 457, 417 and I believe also 427(don't know much about these) visas. The only trades I see that is not having to big a problem with this is sparkies and plumbers. Probably due to the extra licensing requirements. Just in case anyone that has experience in the industry starts talking about English requirements for a white card I know a safety officer with one of the large local companies that boasts of doing the white card online 37 times and that was 3 years ago.
Workers rights are very dear to my heart as I have sons, daughters, nieces and nephews(grandkids soon) that are going to have to survive in this world after we are gone and it is our duty to make sure they get a fair crack or this country is heading for really big problems. Join and support a union boys and girls because they are the only ones that are going to fight for the worker, and yes I am aware their track record is not the best at the moment but it is the only chance for future generations.
Happy to correspond with anyone unless they turn into trolls which seems to be happening a bit more frequently on this site. Actually considered cancelling my subscription.

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 Thursday, 7 Sep 2017 at 9:36am

Pretty sobering stuff Blowin. If there hadn't been a few more comments backing up your analysis I probably wouldn't have believed that the situation is so entrenched over there.

I've got zero experience with the big projects up the top end only what I hear around the place here in SA. From what I can tell SA isn't getting this anywhere near on the scale you guys are talking about in NT, WA and the East Coast but maybe that's just location and lack of projects going on. We also get bugger all backpackers and a whole plane load of chinese/indo workers would get a lot of attention coming through the Adelaide airport. I'd like to think so anyway. I have a mate that previously had a labour hire company that recruited for some of the mines around Mt Isa but that was mainly sparkies, so probably a bit more regulated as stuck-in-darwin mentioned.

Happy I do have some experience with the hospitality industry as I previously worked in business advice/reporting roles but again only in SA. My wife worked in Hospitality for the better part of a decade and we still have loads of friends in the industry. In SA we don't have the rampant backpacker industry keeping wages down so those that can get the hours don't seem to do too badly out of it. I'd hate to be running a pub here in SA at the moment tho because people just don't go out like they used to.

@Stuck-in-darwin you're dead right on the unions being the only ones left fighting, however the perception of unions now is dreadful and its largely self-inflicted. The longer they refuse to modernise the worse off the workers will be. In my opinion the best hope for future generations is splitting the unions out of government and letting the ALP be a decent party rather than a union retirement village. Keep members funds for members rather than political campaigns and maybe they could even lower the cost of membership as a result. Too many fatcats at the top end that don't want to see their jobs on the line though, so maybe we just need some new unions to break rank and lead the way.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 7 Sep 2017 at 10:15am

Exactly Gaz.

Thing is , you don't have to head to the capital cities to see the contagion of wage stagnation due to visa abuse. Once market sentiment has turned its carte Blanche everywhere.

Visa holders picking fruit on the East coast despite massive unemployment. Visa holders stacking shelves in small towns across the nation even in areas of minimal employment opportunities.

People will parrot the line that Aussies don't want these jobs anymore . That opinion is offensive and completely wrong. People will do these jobs as they always have , but they're not given the opportunity.

Why are there visa workers operating the local general store where I am at the moment when there are hundreds of people that could and would fill these roles ?

Hospitality , mining , construction , fishing , maritime industry , IT , cleaning , retail ....you name it and Australia is being rorted with underpayed visa workers.

So who is to blame ?

LNP kickstarted the rort in the mid 2000's then Labor ran hard with the ball till the LNP got back in.

The current Labor party is a cesspool of career politicians and the unions themselves need a major shake up. Some of them need disbanding. Look at the shoppes union ....disgrace.

Sally McManus looks like the real deal and hopefully she attains the influence in society that her voice deserves.

It'll take a lot to arrest the trend we are seeing as both major parties are pushing the immigration line. Neither care about the state of the nation.

LNP sells out to business due to ideology and Labor / Greens sell out to the immigrant vote to maintain their voter base.

Aussie working class gets shafted .

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 7 Sep 2017 at 12:18pm

Stuck in darwin writes "I've got nothing against backpackers. It's just that they have fucked it for the people that live here."

Punching downwards, bro.... They haven't fucked it.... Look up.... Punch up...
The Forests and Gina's of the Australia are the ones who have fucked it.
It's a bit like blaming the Chinese for buying up Australian real estate.... Who can blame them.
Thing is, it still takes an Aussie to sell it to them, and it still takes the government to allow it to happen.
Australians would sell their kids to sleazy eastern european child traffickers, IF the price was high enough.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 7 Sep 2017 at 12:51pm

Totally disagree, Sheepy .

I disagree that the backpackers and other visa rorters aren't responsible for their actions.

For a start .....punching down . Huh ?

These are literally some of the most privileged people on the planet. Mayb not among the elite 1 percent but they are gallivanting around the globe on a holiday. Could you afford a 12 month trip around the world ?

So let's ease up on the sympathy.

Are they responsible for their holiday jobs displacing Australian workers and reducing our standard of living ?

I say yes .

All the foreigners buying real estate in Bali and fucking the joint for the poor Balinese....are they responsible for their actions ?

The multinational companies that pay zero tax at the expense of the Aussie taxpayer due to government enabling ....are they responsible ?

When I'm in Indo or a similar nation where the majority of people are poor I won't spear fish on their reefs because it's their livelihood.

I hate seeing backpackers busking / begging in 3rd world countries for the same reason . It's detrimental to the livelihood of the locals in the same way that backpackers taking Australian jobs and accepting below standard pay and conditions is detrimental to Australia.

Responsible travel is a real thing.

Fuckers could do worse than to recognise this and act accordingly.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 7 Sep 2017 at 1:05pm

Of course you'd disagree, blowin...... Here I am backing your earlier observation "Gina Reinhardt attempted to get an all Indonesian workforce at her project",,,,,,,,,,,,, yet you now disagree..
If Rinehart is advertising in Indonesia for workers, it's the workers fault?
Nahhh man..... You've conflated 2 issues.

As far as your bali/multinational comparisons, when a GOVERNMENT allows this sort of shit to happen WITHIN their legal framework, who's "fault" is it?
It's the governments fault, blowin.... It's not the poor indo...... It's not "stuck in darwin". It's the government... If governments do not wish to change the tax loopholes, and therefore multi nationals pay no tax, then its the government.

If governments bow to the likes of greedy miners over 457 visas, or if they are addicted to stamp duty from greedy Australian sellers, then that's their fault as well..

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 7 Sep 2017 at 1:15pm

The invisble hand, Blowin. If govts allow it to happen it will happen.

You can take exception to backpackers but it's a fruitless exercise. Maybe one or two might act with nobility but the majority wont, and that's no slight on backpackers becuase every fucken cohort will act the same. God help we look to a boy band for wisdom, but it's Human Nature!

...and it's government legislation that steers it.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 7 Sep 2017 at 1:27pm

So you feel no ill will to Chevron not paying a cent of royalties for taking the first 20 years of gas from their Gorgon LNG plant ? Even though the price of gas in Australia is skyrocketing. We own it , pay through the nose for it and they get our gas for free !

And not paying a cent in taxes in the last decade in Australia ?

https://theconversation.com/senate-inquiry-told-zero-tax-or-royalties-pa...

Backpackers are the same just on a different scale.

Why should Australians subsidise their world travels with below award pay rates that apply downwards pressure to our standard of living as they steal local's jobs ?

This situation would not be possible without the consent of all three parties - The government , the employers and the backpackers / visa holders .

All are guilty of subverting Australia's wage structure.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 7 Sep 2017 at 1:25pm

Stu - governments will and do allow it to happen because the voters see no real threat from the visa rort situation.

Not enough to prioritise it in their voting strategy anyway.

The voting public is still convinced that the visa mployment scheme is somehow beneficial to Australia whilst it's entirely detrimental.

It is the single greatest contributing factor in the decline of Australian's standard of living. Not the threat of automation or the offshoring of jobs .

Like climate change , you might be ok for now , but your kids and their kids will be fucked.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 7 Sep 2017 at 1:32pm

I don't conflate the two. Backpackers are acting on behalf of themselves, each wage is a pittance in the grand scheme of the economy, while corporations are an assembly of peoples operating orders of magnitude above the humble fruit picker.

But fruitpicker or corpo the point still stands: You can't appeal to ethics, govt has to write them into legislation.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 7 Sep 2017 at 1:35pm

No, I am concerned about it. Just disagree with how to fix it.

Maybe it's a job for GetUp?

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 Thursday, 7 Sep 2017 at 1:42pm

I see what you did there SN. Nicely done.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 7 Sep 2017 at 1:55pm

I d heard of Getup but I had to google them to find out what they were about.

Don't think they'd be much help.

As soon as you mentioned restricting working rights to foreigners they see you as a rednecked Nazi.

Daring to suggest that in Australia the rights of Australians should be prioritised over the rights of foreign nationals - be they corporate or individual - is one step below offering baby beluga whale steaks for dinner.

If only there was a major party that represented the workers of Australia that comprise 95 percent of the population....

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 7 Sep 2017 at 1:58pm

"Daring to suggest that in Australia the rights of Australians should be prioritised over the rights of foreign nationals"

I always knew you were racist, Blowin.

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 Thursday, 7 Sep 2017 at 2:37pm

I don't think you can blame people for exploiting the legal avenues available ie well paid jobs overseas or foreigners buying bali real estate. It's just a type of arbitrage and a fact of life in a capitalist society. Not so good for the guys on the bottom tho I agree, but the government has the role of addressing the issue.

@Blowin - I agree on your point of immigration affecting our quality of life though, especially if it outstrips employment or net birth rate. I think our net overseas immigration is currently just below 200,000? These are round-about numbers but I think the birth rate is around 300,000 and the death rate is somewhere around 150,000. So our natural increase is less than net overseas migration, which is terminal for our lifestyle one way or the other. No idea what the net jobs created per year are but if its less than 350,000 then the facts are in and yes we're immigrating ourselves to death.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Previousproducts/3101.0Main%20Features2Jun%202016?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=3101.0&issue=Jun%202016&num=&view=

loungelizard's picture
loungelizard's picture
loungelizard Thursday, 7 Sep 2017 at 2:28pm

new zealand labor party running on a platform of massively reduced migration and dick smith pushing it here. strange bedfellows

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 7 Sep 2017 at 2:34pm

You guys are just a bunch of racist xenophobes wanting Australian jobs protected.

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 Thursday, 7 Sep 2017 at 2:38pm

Its' interesting that Getup!, an organisation bankrolled by George Soros and the CFMEU and previously run by Bill Shorten are so in favor of the working rights of foreign nationals, but then that is the situation of workers rights in Australia. Protectionism or Nationalism is written off as racism and the union party are happy to throw the workers to the sharks to appease the greens. Its no wonder workers conditions seem to be declining. There's no sensible debate on the issue anymore.

There are no independent lobby groups. Anywhere.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-10-14/abetz_unmasks_get_up21/40088

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 7 Sep 2017 at 2:48pm

Governments need to do certain things really really well.

Good health and education systems to name two, there is a long list but those core tasks ought to be nonnegotiable to anyone individual, corporation(s) and ideology. This list ought to be bipartisan, a shared vision across the political spectrum.

Looking after the employment opportunities of its citizens is one of those core tasks.

Pretty simple really, commonsense in fact, and both major political parties are guilty of wholesale neglect here and elsewhere.

As an aside I understand the majority of our diesel fuel comes from South Korea, Japan and Singapore .... what's that going to do to our economy if the orange imbecile suckers up a war?

stuck-in-darwin Thursday, 7 Sep 2017 at 3:00pm

Sheepdog please read in its entirety.

" I've got nothing against backpackers. It's just that they have fucked it for the people that live here. If you hear your local pollies talking about rezoning because farmers can't get labour be afraid, VERY, VERY AFRAID. So yes it is happening and dodgy, shonky companies are exploiting 457, 417 and I believe also 427(don't know much about these) visas."

The point I'm trying to make is they are all to blame. Government, big and small companies and the backpackers as well.They do know they are undercutting going rates and doing locals out of a job. I have heard different groups openly discussing this during their lunch break. My blood was boiling. Unfortunately I am not in a position to give them my view. If it were to happen in their country I imagine they would go off.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 7 Sep 2017 at 3:18pm

It's a rare event but I'm kind of with Sheep Dog on this one, its not fair to blame backpackers it's the government that allows these things to happen.

I believe NT actually encourages foreign workers to its state they have some different legislation from memory you can get a Visa to come work in Australia for a year but you can extend it if you work in NT for another 6 months to a year, something along those lines.

I know because my wife brother has applied to come over and work for a year, not that easy to get though quite a waiting list only allow 1,000 Indonesians a year. (i was actually surprised they let any unskilled Indonesians work in Australia though, kind of seems weird to me)

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 Thursday, 7 Sep 2017 at 3:22pm

You're right stuck-in-darwin, but what message do these people get when the most 457 visa's granted happened during the Rudd-Gillard government era? They probably wouldn't know or care but if it's condoned by both sides of politics these backpackers probably consider it a victim-less crime.

The ALP are meant to be the stewards of workers rights, they are definitely the ones propped up by donations from union members funds. You know the situation is well and truly rooted when its the Liberals coming out swinging against 457 visa's considering Howard brought them in.

Shorten will be the next Hillary at this rate he's completely detached from his voters.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-15/what-is-a-457-visa/8026280

stuck-in-darwin Thursday, 7 Sep 2017 at 3:42pm

Lots of different visa classes with different rules for different zones. Giles and Abbot rezoned the NT as remote. So now it is open slather. One of the reasons Giles suffered one of the biggest election defeats in Australian political history. He got fucken smashed and now he works for Gina and is driving a brand new Mazerati.

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 Thursday, 7 Sep 2017 at 4:17pm

Ah fairo yeh they've all got their snouts in the trough somehow it seems. (edited)

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Friday, 8 Sep 2017 at 1:48pm

A lot of conflation here.

Actually, I think it's called the "fallacy of composition":

"Inferring that something is true of the whole from the fact that it is true of some part of the whole."

For example, WA in the boom was mental. It's over, but the hangover is lingering to put it mildly. Check the WA state budget for one.

Is this the state of the worker's nation across the board though?

A couple of articles:

"The notion that immigration impacts wages or employment is largely based on a simplistic analysis of supply and demand. The idea is that immigration increases the supply of labour and, if everything else holds constant, this results in lower wages.

But the world is not this simple."

https://theconversation.com/new-research-shows-immigration-has-only-a-mi...

Same shit, different shovel?

"Chinese labourers flown in to dismantle the former Mitsubishi car plant in the Adelaide Hills paid $1.90 an hour, Filipino metal fabricators paid $4.90 an hour to install animal feed mills in NSW, and nine Indonesian timber workers flown into Tasmania and promised bonuses when they returned home.
In 2015, Australia hosted the Cricket World Cup but local camera crews with decades of broadcasting experience were snubbed by the International Cricket Council for a crew from Singapore. In the same year the Spirit of Tasmania employed 44 per cent of its workers on 400 visas for a $31.5 million refurbishment.
The number of 400 visas approved now equals half the number of 457 visas handed out when Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull "axed" the category. We called the axing window dressing then - and we do again. This is a joke."

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/a-new-frontier-the...

Meanwhile early childhood educators have gone on strike and marched today, and Murdoch University staff walked off the job in protest at the executive terminating their Enterprise Bargain Agreement.

Interesting times.

Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 8 Sep 2017 at 12:12am

Interesting times indeed.

Crows, boys! Get on board!

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Friday, 8 Sep 2017 at 1:49pm

Did I say "interesting times"?

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Friday, 8 Sep 2017 at 3:13pm

FWA changes recommended to curtail agreement terminations.

In what is a timely move, the Education and Employment Relations Committee of the Australian Senate has recommended that the Fair Work Act be amended to prevent the Fair Work Commission from terminating an enterprise agreement where workers would be worse off as a result.

The Committee reports that it is apparent the termination of agreements is being done by employers to significantly reduce wages and conditions, often for the purpose of obtaining an advantage in negotiations for a replacement agreement.

“Terminated agreements take with them all conditions secured in previous bargaining rounds and have the effect of placing employees back on the relevant industry award. Once on the award, employees have little ability to negotiate, and are instead manoeuvred into accepting terms and conditions vastly inferior to those they worked under previously: from the bottom of the bargaining floor, anything looks like an improvement,” the report reads.

The Labor/Green-dominated Committee also concluded that increasing income polarisation and a falling share of labour compensation are inescapably tied to the growing trend in parts of corporate Australia of avoiding provisions of the FWA which are intended to bolster enterprise agreement; making sure that workers get a fair share of the economic growth their labour plays a critical role in generating.

https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/cdn.workplaceexpress.com.au/file...

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Friday, 8 Sep 2017 at 1:55pm

Wages as proportion of national income at 53 year low.

Despite calls from Reserve Bank Governor Philip Lowe for workers to demand higher wage increases, figures released this week by the Australian Bureau of Statistics reveal that wages as a proportion of the economy are at a 53 year low.

Wages formed just 51.3 percent of national income, according to the Australian National Accounts, for the June quarter, the lowest since the 50.9 percent recorded in 1964. At the same time, company profits grew to a five year high of 27.3 percent.

Mr Lowe has warned of the medium-term risks to the economy of high and rising household debt, with figures revealing a correlation between low wage growth with lower household spending and diminishing savings. “Over the past four years, household borrowing has increased at an average rate of 6.5 percent, while household income has increased at an average rate of just 3.5 per cent,” he told a Reserve Bank dinner on Tuesday

The comments from the Reserve Bank Governor are in stark contrast to those of the Federal Education and Training Minister Simon Birmingham who has called on universities to embrace the decision of the Fair Work Commission to terminate the Murdoch University Enterprise Agreement as a means of cutting staff costs across the nation’s 120,000 strong university workforce.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 9 Sep 2017 at 3:04pm

Surprising editorial.

Don't tell me that the centre beckons !

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/smh-editorial/how-the-extremes-conspire-ag...

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 9 Sep 2017 at 3:59pm

Stuck in darwin.... I DID read your post. You can yell at the blood all you like.. But it's probably best to address to wound..... And the wound, my surf starved friend, the GOVERNMENT..

Gaz1799........ The Rudd gillard era????? Well it skyrocketed during the Howard years, and that trend kept going during the Rudd gillard years. 2003/04 financial year, there were
39 000 visas (457).
2006/07 financial year, there were 90 000!!!
A 130% increase over 3 years!!

In 2007/08, it increased to 110 000, but over the next 2 years it actually dropped down to
68 000... Then there was a secondary mining boom in 2011. And of course 457s spiked.

But.......... tell me what "era" we should call this, Gaz? And should the likes of blowin an S.I.D be blaming these Islanders?

"Thousands of Pacific Islanders will soon fly to Australia to plug labour gaps under a deal struck in Samoa on Friday."

"The jobs deal - struck with leaders from Kiribati, Tuvalu and Nauru - will see up to 2000 Pacific Islanders working in Australia each year.
They will be sent to rural and remote towns for up to three years to cover shortages in low and semi-skilled jobs."

https://thewest.com.au/politics/turnbull-in-samoa-for-pacific-trade-talk...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 9 Sep 2017 at 6:04pm

Cool Sheepy.

So will the unemployed Aussies that are currently desperate for employment in the same remote and regional areas be sent to the Pacific for work ?

Honestly mate , why do you think the government is granting work visas / residency to these people ?

Altruism ?

Sure . The LNP has a big heart of gold that can't give enough to Australia's bread line class so they've got to start helping islanders.

The reality is 3 seperate reasons.

1/. Provide a workforce of labour that will suffer employer exploitation in order to gain permanent residency and a pathway to immigration for their entire extended families. At the expense of residents of rural towns that will have less employment opportunities.

The greater the available labour pool , the greater downward pressure on wages.

2/ A subsidised , vulnerable and exploitable workforce available to farmers etc in regional areas that are the grassroots of the Nationals and their vociferous lobbying bodies. Not to mention the labour hire companies that are probably run by the mates of the LNP who stand to benefit from government arbitrage in a similar fashion as the administrators of the cashless welfare card.

3/ The solidifying of ties between the various nations the workers are sourced from with Australia as a foil against the constant overtures that China is making in their plan of expansion into the Pacific region . Hoping they'll think of Australia in a pleasant light as the Chinese attempt to win their affections and place them against us.

This is the only real benefit Australians will gain from this exercise.

Except of course placating the bleeding hearts that hold more love for the abstract idea of foreigners than they do for the fellow Australians that they disdainfully consider uneducated bogans .

Does that sound about right ?

Fucking xenophiles. Prioritising foreign nationals over the needs of Australians . Self loathing masked as charity.

Unwitting pawns aiding the LNP in their constant drive to destroy the working classes.

Maybe they could look a bit closer to home to fill the needs of farmers desperate for workers ? ... https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2017/sep/08/6000km-only-20-minute...

"There’s nothing out there: there’s a lack of services, no counselling, no proper education. When you’re out in towns and you can’t get jobs and you’ve got no one to talk to, people feel depressed. People feel alone.”"

Shatner'sBassoon Saturday, 9 Sep 2017 at 6:34pm

Tun beer. It's the reality now.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Saturday, 9 Sep 2017 at 7:40pm

Fear no beer

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Sunday, 10 Sep 2017 at 12:14am

Luke Shuey. Nice kick son......

Shatner'sBassoon Sunday, 10 Sep 2017 at 9:19am

Sweet. If it walks and quacks like a duck...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 10 Sep 2017 at 6:54pm

Sharkies out.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 10 Sep 2017 at 7:43pm

Not to be pedantic, but why's that disruptive?

People couldn't make phone calls, and now they can. Now the brown folk can be hypnotised by the mobile screen. Seems like simple progress.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 10 Sep 2017 at 10:00pm

Till now satellites have weighed hundreds of kilograms and have been large in size making them costly to build and launch into space.

SAS 's Nano satellites are the size of a shoebox and weigh 10 kg making them easy and cheap to produce , launch and replace as technology improves rapidly .

Most areas of the planet are covered by land based telecommunications repeater stations . Some areas have zero coverage due to the vast distances involved and the poor economies of many regions .

The Nano satellites are placed in such a constellation that they act as the repeater stations in space.

Inter Nano satellite communication has never been possible till SAS achieved it a few weeks ago.

Autonomous Nano satellites - that is they self regulate their position relative to the Earth and to each other , self maintain and maximise their own efficiency and performance. Communicate with each other.

When fully operational every single point of the Earth that is covered by the satellites - including well into the upper atmosphere - will have voice , messaging and data communications.

No ground based repeater stations required.

Think of the entire centre and North of Australia , Africa and South America with complete coverage .

https://thewest.com.au/business/public-companies/sky-space-nano-satellit...

Also , while it's maybe not technically disruptive , I'm sure that the ability to use a mobile phone for the 4 BILLION PEOPLE on Earth currently without any coverage might affect their lives quite dramatically at least.

https://www.skyandspace.global/operations-overview/technology/

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 11 Sep 2017 at 5:25pm

Winding the thread back a bit....

Gaz, the claim George Soros backed GetUp is total bullshit. Probably spread by a false Wikipedia entry and the fact Eric Abetz used that source to attack them in The Australian. Nothing like fact checking, eh?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/inquirer/union-and-labor-party-links-test-getup-independence/news-story/7bc4f82df53d6a4583fec3c2ea4beef0

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 11 Sep 2017 at 5:54pm

Hey Blowin what do you think of these shares,worth an investment in your opinion????...sound like potential.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Monday, 11 Sep 2017 at 5:54pm

Speaking of 'fake news'...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 11 Sep 2017 at 6:34pm

Simba - I wouldn't want to influence anyone in a situation where they could lose money.

And the share market is a form of gambling , no doubt.

I just post things that interest me . I actually put that up in the hope that someone with a knowledge of communications technology could provide ME with some possible insight . Some glaring contradiction that I'm unaware of to potentially save me some money.

I had a flip phone till a few months ago. So you wouldn't say that I'm an expert in this field.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 11 Sep 2017 at 6:44pm

Here's some more feel good .

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/confidential-docum...

Wonder how many Aussies will be working on this project now that a Chinese state owned construction company has gotten the contract to build it ?

Let's see how the Chinese / Australia free trade agreement ( CHAFTA ) for us .

Aussie taxpayers pay for it , Chinese workers build it , multinational owns the infrastructure and Australia gives away the iron ore for a pittance.

Oh , and the coast gets a massive great port on it that would create a statewide riot if they tried to build it on the coast of NSW.

Sounds good !