What's what?

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon started the topic in Friday, 6 Nov 2015 at 7:48pm

AN ALL-ENCOMPASSING KALEIDOSCOPIC JOIN-THE-DOTS/ADULT COLOURING BOOK EXPERIMENTAL PROJECT IN NARCISSISTIC/ONANISTIC BIG PICTURE PARASITIC FORUM BLEEDING.

LIKE POLITICAL LIFE, PARTICIPATION IS WELCOME, ENCOURAGED EVEN, BUT NOT NECESSARY.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 30 Aug 2017 at 4:48pm

Hmmm..

Let's replace "burqa or niqab" with "biniki", the location from the "Dandenong markets" to "Bondi Beach", and let's switch stereotypes - Australian wife/husband, muslim bloke watching from the side.

Let's then see how this woman interacts with you (and how her husband reacts) after you "accidentally bump into her".

C'mon ID.. really? Why do you need to see how they react following fake body contact? What would it tell you that you wouldn't otherwise get from asking them a question?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 30 Aug 2017 at 5:26pm

To me if i had just said hello i think that would be kind of weird.

Like "Hi i just wanted to met a women in a burqa, can we get a selfie together for instagram".

It just would have been awkward, once you say hi, you normally pick something in common to talk about if the conversation goes further, i would have felt rude asking about what she was wearing or religion etc, so the only area i could have gone is whatever they were shopping for, otherwise that would have been it.

And then they would have just thought why is this guy saying hi, then i would have felt a bit bad, because maybe they would think I'm just trying to be friendly because she is wearing a burqa.

It was really really crowded, a little bump and an oh I'm so sorry, wouldn't have been unusual, i had people bump me and do the same, i would have been artificially setting up the interaction, but to them it wouldn't have been a set up and i would have got a natural reaction of some sort.

I don't know, i just like to learn or add to my judgment based on my personal experiences, I've met plenty of full on muslim guys in Indonesia the ones with the funky beard and robes and cap etc, I've never set anything up, i don't know why but they always gravitate to me and to honest every single interaction I've had has been really positive, some of the friendliest Indonesians I've ever met and always very interested in Australia.

One time i was out the back of the old timber overnight ferry going back to Padang from Mentawais, i was sitting out the back by myself having a bintang, and this guy comes and sits right next to me, he looked like Bin Laden and he seemed the man something special as had all henchmen that seemed like his body guards or something.

The conversation wasn't long but he was super friendly, it was kind of weird here i am looking as feral as can be after a few weeks basically camping out, my first bintang in weeks in hand having this conversation with a bin laden look a like. (it was around the time Bin laden was all in the press too)

Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 31 Aug 2017 at 12:44pm

Yeah, yeah. Cool.

Oi Sheep-Dog, apologies for contributing to the death of your thread: Smokescreens and mirrors.

Good name and all. Maybe crank same, same but different.

"If you think it's dodgy, if it doesn't pass "the pub test", post it here for robust meaningful debate."

And we'll try and let shitting dogs lie.

I swear.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Wednesday, 30 Aug 2017 at 6:03pm

SB ,
Rye = Rye Craike
John ( his dad ) was from Phillip Island region .
The milky bar kid is a fairly solid switch footer .
You are a Troll .
Simples

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Wednesday, 30 Aug 2017 at 6:57pm
Shatner'sBassoon Wednesday, 30 Aug 2017 at 7:02pm

There's trolls and then there's real trolls.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 31 Aug 2017 at 6:53am

Considering deliberately bumping into a culturally strong woman like that, any woman or man for that matter, would be displaying all the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 31 Aug 2017 at 7:52am

It was really crowded I'm sure i could have done it very subtly, as i said even i got bumped and bumped or that silly thing where you both try to pass and do that one step two step mirror thing.

Not sure what culturally strong means but it's an extremely culturally diverse market.

I didn't do it, it was just a thought, as son as my missus was finished i was out of there, i hate shopping.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 31 Aug 2017 at 7:55am

@ HappyasS thanks for the link but there is no way I'm going to read all that, I'm a simple man i need a one to two page summary.

But personally i don't need a report to tell me that what the result of ensuring people spend social security money on the things they need instead of want is.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 31 Aug 2017 at 12:23pm

Shats, no need to apologise, mate... You didn't shut it down. IMO it was a drastic over reach by Ben and Stu. In the last few weeks, a number of us were called "isis apologists" simply for not agreeing with the death sentence. That thread is still alive and well. I remember stu himself ripping into me over a morphing debate about Otis Carey. I'm sure that thread wasn't deleted.
Then there's uplift, boogie fever, and countless others who have turned threads (including surf forecasts into shit fights. And of course I have let rip too)
But your fight with blowback was relatively mild in comparison to some of the stuff allowed to fly through to the keeper.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 31 Aug 2017 at 12:45pm

Re: moderation - we try not to intervene much, but we also have to respond to feedback we receive via email. And these personal arguements within otherwise healthy discussions are boring, and annoying. 

So, I closed the thread down (note: didn't delete the thread) because I didn't have the time to wade through the comments and delete offending posts one by one - it's time consuming, and Stu's away this week so I'm pretty busy with other stuff.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 31 Aug 2017 at 3:51pm

Wow! Emails? Who emails?

A lot of people apparently.

Must have been bigger than McGregor vs Mayweather.

As one-sided?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 31 Aug 2017 at 4:34pm

Ive had a whinge here about the pointless name calling and put downs and mocking etc.

But i haven't Emailed, I would just say what i think here, as you may have noticed I'm now afraid to say what i think.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 31 Aug 2017 at 4:41pm

There are exponentially more people watching - and not commenting - these forums (this is also known as 'lurking'), compared to those who do comment.

Recent feedback has been from these people, plus a lot of other feedback we get when chatting to people in the surf, at the coffee shop, etc. 

It always amazes me when I meet crew for the first time who know all of the articles, forum topics and discussion points on Swellnet - plus all of the personalities of our regular commentators - yet they have never commented themselves.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 31 Aug 2017 at 4:45pm

Ben.... It's your baby.... You are entitled to do as you see fit.

May I suggest to the thread folk of the good ship swellnet;

On the home page, when you post a comment, the first sentence is visible for the whole world to see.
So if in the politico section (where heated debates occur - not just here but at the guardian, or the age, or the new york times) you start your comment with foulness, it is visible to anyone visiting the home page. I try my best not to use profanities, at least in the first 20 words or so lol.

For example, I could straight up write " shats, you're a fucking shit stain. I can't believe you'd support killing puppies and kittens....."
Visitors to the home page would see "shats, you're a fucking shit stain. I can't believe you'd......."
And presto, People may think swellnet is a bit raw for them, or their kids..... Ben loses potential business..

If I had've written "Shats, re' your comments yesterday on pet ownership, and how you reckon that all puppies and kittens should be killed, I think you're a fucking shit stain", The the only thing visible on the home page would be;
"Shats, re' your comments yesterday on pet ownership, and how you reckon that all puppies and kittens.........."

So bottomline, I suggest not to lead with abuse in your first sentence.... Would be great if there was no abuse, but I'm a realist.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 31 Aug 2017 at 5:00pm

Lurkers?...

Now i feel real self conscious, but I've added a Signature for the lurkers to bring some positivity.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 31 Aug 2017 at 5:18pm

Thanks SD, we have some plans to revitalise the forums and some of what you mentioned has been tabled. 

However, the forums produce a very small percentage of our traffic so they are consequently prioritised pretty low down the (enormous, and ever-growing) development ladder.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 31 Aug 2017 at 5:18pm

Love the signature, ID! Haha.

Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 1 Sep 2017 at 5:26pm

Fucking wake up and smell the concrete.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/01/turnbulls-latest-b...

(Sorry Doggo, didn't get the memo)

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 1 Sep 2017 at 6:38pm

Shats.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

You're a fuckn idiot lately.
Somethings happened in your private life for sure..
Spill the beans.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 1 Sep 2017 at 6:40pm

I just saw Tudge and Turnbull saying how grog and gambling is down in ceduna...... What of course they failed to mention is that 20% of the population of Ceduna have left, thanks to the card.. Shops going broke..

Census 2011 - Ceduna population 2289

Census 2016 - Ceduna population 1850.

That's 20% ...

OF COURSE consumption will statistically drop!!! Is the populace really that stupid?

But it's all about LOOOOOOOVE......

Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 1 Sep 2017 at 9:37pm

Read the article...forget obfuscating confection Doggo. Even though I'm directly involved in certain events, this is shit that effects us all. And not in a positive way by any stretch. Unless mobilising and organising as a by-product is seen as such. Which side are you on, comrades?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 2 Sep 2017 at 2:39am

TDS sheepdog.

He's not alone. People have literally lost the plot ...left right black white samoan japanese, maybe not Japanese, he seems the sanest out of the lot, maybe a bit kamikaze though...

Loopy is the new black for the rest. All riled up and looking for a fight, skinheads skinheads...and more so their self righteous adversaries.

A most interesting story of irony and contradictions

http://www.weeklystandard.com/a-beating-in-berkeley/article/2009498

Nothing makes sense anymore...

Andym's horseshoe gets a mention....might explain a thing or two, ...or not...

Shatner'sBassoon Saturday, 2 Sep 2017 at 10:16am

TDS. LOL. PKB*

Anyway Seppo, back from a US study mission?

We've all missed your clinical observations.

Clinically...well, y'know.

R U OK?

(*Pot. Kettle. Black.)

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 2 Sep 2017 at 11:23am

Is it not an interesting story shattered bossom?

Is politics not a little crazy atm?

Are antifa not colourblind morons?

Take off the bias spectacles shattered...just for one moment

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 2 Sep 2017 at 7:24pm

The ADF looks like purchasing the USA attack drone, called "the reaper"..... The specific model is the MQ9........... The Israeli's are upset....

Anyhoo, the MQ9 has a maximum range of 1850km.... That's total.... Therefore , it could not travel further than 925km..... If used as designed, (offence), it'd have to spend a bit of time at the target area... So realistically, 850km would be it's bombing range...
About 17 mill' usa per unit.

Now, if based in Darwin, I can't see us bombing Timor, which is just in range.
That brings up the question, why are we buying them , and where are they going?

Are we expanding our role in Syria? Afghanistan?
Or are we off to help Dutarte?

Strange times.....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-02/reaper-drone-defence-accused-lack-...

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 2 Sep 2017 at 9:32pm

Are we already using them in the Phillos?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 3 Sep 2017 at 12:25pm

I don't think so, free ride.. Just recon' p3's I think.
But who knows with the secrecy these days.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 3 Sep 2017 at 12:48pm

Funny that a defence force not wanting the public or potential threats or enemy wanting to know everything.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 3 Sep 2017 at 1:04pm

The enemy would know before we do, indo... But once again, you've missed the point. A defence force you say...
Reapers are for offence.. Attack... Not defence. The USA has hundreds of reapers in the middle east... Surely we aren't sending them there.... If we are, is this "mission creep" which the government specifically ruled out?
Or are we going to perform offensive non discriminatory bombings for President Dutarte , when again the government SPECIFICALLY said we would not? After bagging the crap out of the west, why should we help this guy? Why can't he buy the reapers? If Turnbull and co are all about "keeping Australian's safe", why are we possibly jumping into another islamic conflict that has sweet f.a to do with us, therefore giving fundamentalists reason to retaliate against us?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 3 Sep 2017 at 1:41pm

USA wants Phillipines onside to use as a base to threaten China.

You still think we can hide from the imperialist Islamic soldiers , Sheepy ?

Maybe you should change your pseudonym to Neville Chamberlin .

Then again , maybe ISIS is still being used as the unwitting wedge to drive another region to a war that suits the USA to a tee ?

Who knows what's fact or fiction on the world stage.

All I can be positive about is the fact that the Pacific is throwing up all kinds of appealing shades of blue today and the sun is shining.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 3 Sep 2017 at 3:16pm

Grey, howling, squalls here....

But hey, there's more each way bets in your last post than at a spring racing carnival.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 3 Sep 2017 at 5:19pm

hey indo, whats with the lurkers comment? after your admission of stalking a woman and thoughts of making "physical contact" at a recent dandy market is it a case of the pot calling the kettle black and/or are you working on the basis of attack is the best form of defence?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 3 Sep 2017 at 5:27pm

Guy...... i only just noticed since you brought it up. Very interesting....

There are all sorts of characters here. Heretical black sheep nutters like myself, angry old men, angry young men, "do as I say not as I did" folk, rightards, leftards, smuggoes, and friendly passive aggressive wolves in sheeps clothing. ;)

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 3 Sep 2017 at 5:58pm

ha ha stalking a women :D I was people watching.

I just randomly posted it after the conversation above with thermalben on Thursday.

I never really thought about lurkers reading the crap we write.

I might change it now, it was kind of an other day kind of thing.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 3 Sep 2017 at 6:41pm

Crikey, you're now admitting you write crap! WTF is there a full moon outside? haha

Shatner'sBassoon Sunday, 3 Sep 2017 at 11:08pm

Doggo, can't believe you left 'bullshitter' off your little list.

Actually what about 'wilful ignoramus'?

Just plain idiot?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 3 Sep 2017 at 9:26pm

Angry middle-aged men?

Thread smotherers?

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 3 Sep 2017 at 10:27pm

love that ... wilful ignoramus
drongo?

Shatner'sBassoon Sunday, 3 Sep 2017 at 11:06pm

Forelock tugger? Howard's 'battler'? Tony's tradie? Pauline's pillock? The under-educated & over-mortgaged? The useful idiot? Tabloid regurgitating robot? Coward puncher? Dole bludger? Walter Mitty? Baron Munchausen?

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Monday, 4 Sep 2017 at 10:23am

Hah!

What about the good, the bad, and the ugly?

The young and the useless?

The old and the restless?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 4 Sep 2017 at 11:10am

Been away a week, where are we in this debate? Been much progress, persuasion, or changes of political allegiances from you animals? Is TT tending right, has TB developed a bleeding heart?

Anyhoo, Ross Gittins takes the unfashionable middle path in market regulation. So uncool, so goddamn sensible...so of course it'll be ignored.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-economy/treasury-must-prevail-against-pushy-young-punks-20170902-gy9jg8.html

Paywall and all...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 4 Sep 2017 at 1:13pm

Did you get any waves ?

Spring has sprung in a big way here.

The air is thick with the scent of flowers . Little NE swell in the water. The water being pleasantly brisk after soaking in the warm sunshine.

Life is very pleasant.

Looks like a few salmon schools moving up the coast .

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 4 Sep 2017 at 1:14pm

Pretty much none, but then I didn't go looking either. The 'holiday' was really me staying at home minding kids why the wife lived it up on the north coast.

Used to think all she did was push a pram from cafe to park for small talk in the sun with her friends.

Might have to go easy on the insults now that I know the reality.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 4 Sep 2017 at 1:20pm

No last day of winter frivolities ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 4 Sep 2017 at 1:24pm

Had one session at the point that starred both the members of Wash as well as the conductor of the Australian Chamber Orchestra - each, I assume, unknown to the other.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 4 Sep 2017 at 1:24pm

stu, so you didn't hook into the pilates and yoga class then?, some have child care and a cafe next door to blur the time between between school drop off and pick up, haha

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 4 Sep 2017 at 1:28pm

Sat next to Clarrie while he filmed much of that. He said, "go on, I'll look after the twins" but Clarrie likes to talk and there's cliffs and rocks and dog shit a'plenty, and I know I'd come in and the twins would have tumbled over the side or rolled in shite and Clarrie would still be talking none the wiser to them.

So I barred it.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 4 Sep 2017 at 1:30pm

Nup GS, we climbed mountains, ran beaches, planted veges for summer, and hung at the point. Not a babyccino to be seen nor drunk.

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Monday, 4 Sep 2017 at 1:32pm

Quality time!! That's what it's all about Stu