What's what?

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon started the topic in Friday, 6 Nov 2015 at 7:48pm

AN ALL-ENCOMPASSING KALEIDOSCOPIC JOIN-THE-DOTS/ADULT COLOURING BOOK EXPERIMENTAL PROJECT IN NARCISSISTIC/ONANISTIC BIG PICTURE PARASITIC FORUM BLEEDING.

LIKE POLITICAL LIFE, PARTICIPATION IS WELCOME, ENCOURAGED EVEN, BUT NOT NECESSARY.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 10:19am

Blowin I think her attitude would be supported by a lot of Australians who have come to accept the idea that our military is more or less constantly involved in distant wars. The build up of ANZAC Day and the radical increase in nationalist sentiment are good for the recruitment of idealistic young men who have no real concept of the possible consequences ....... but as Gareth Liddiard said " they've been handy in the past and will be handy in the future."

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 10:26am

It's no coincidence that that other partner of the Coalition of the Willing, the U.K., has had an extremely effective poppy-wearing campaign, and heaven help those who criticise either the soldiers or the the campaigns that they've been involved in.

Same in Australia.

Stuff like Anzackery has been highly effective in silencing criticism of Australia's involvement in the U.S.' imperial wars.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 10:43am

That war memorial renovation would have to be the dumbest stimulus investment ever.

Not saying it isn't purely stimulus, just that it is the dumbest focus of funds ever suggested.

Especially for the supposed economically responsible ones ie. liberals

Anzac day has been sodomised.

Sodimised and idealised. Keating is right, much more worthier encounters to 'celebrate'.

spuddyjack's picture
spuddyjack's picture
spuddyjack Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 10:25pm

@sypkan
'That war memorial renovation would have to be the dumbest stimulus investment ever.
Not saying it isn't purely stimulus, just that it is the dumbest focus of funds ever suggested.'

Totally concur. Clueless bureaucrats with dubious agendas.

Per exemplar: We've got over a hundred thousand seniors Australia wide waiting anything from 1 to 3 years for Home Care Package Support. People are dying or being compelled to enter Residential Care prematurely due to appalling federal decision making on the use of taxpayer money. This is a disgrace. The packages were supposed to assist seniors to remain at home with support and concomitantly save the Feds the high cost of residential care.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 11:52am

I concur with your concur spuddyjack

I've recently had the misfortune of having to deal with exactly what you're talking about. The aged care system.

It is a fucking disgrace, and not through lack of funds it would seem, as the baby boomers put the piggybank well into negative territory tailoring a system to maintain their unsustainable quality of life which emptied the piggybank in the first place.

So many private providers fighting to provide for the already provided for within our privatised aged care system. Whilst those really needing care live in miseey waiting for someone to deem their need worthy for a pittance of attention.

I overheard a social worker talking to the family surrounding the bedridden old boy next door last week. In that monotonic confected concern PC public service voice that carefully never gives anything away she basically said....

" yes there's nothing really available to help you, as the system for provision of services has been designed around self funded retirees who can afford to pay for them"

No cash...just die quietly please...

So many opportunities to spend stimulus money well, but nah, we'll just build a monolith that has no ongoing economic stimulus qualities.

Wad of cash, build a block, dead end, face the real crisis later. It makes the labor stimulus debacles seem truly visionary.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 11:50am

People need to recognise when staying at home is unsustainable. My wife works in aged care and my mother lived for the final years of her life in a residential facility. It is very common for children to pressure their parents to stay in the home as they do not want their inheritance diminished by the cost of a residential facility. This places additional burdens on the home care system. Beyond a certain point in the inevitable decline that comes with advanced age or the combination of poor general health and age, adequate care cannot be provided in the home. If the person owns the home it should be sold or mortgaged to provide for their care.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 12:08pm

What if it's the old person putting pressure on the kids to not put them in that home?

Where the old person probably could manage at home with a little bit of help. A bit of help that would only equal the expense of the subsidised residential care facility anyway?

Surprised you went down that road blindboy. Dare I say your view is somewhat sydney-centric again, where all the houses are worth a million bucks minimum!

You liking neo-liberalism now?

Because that's what we're talking about, neo-liberalisation of aged care.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 12:10pm

If they only require a little bit of help then there should be funding available. It can be a maze to get it and finding the right provider can take a while. Welfare services have declined drastically under successive governments across all sectors, if you think aged care services are difficult look at what single parents and the unemployed have to do. That's life under neoliberalism.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 12:23pm

A fucken maze alright.

Whilst there's no funding available to actually do anything. There's no shortage of funding for a band of experts and consultants, from a bunch of competing private providers, to go over the same shit, time and time again...only to tell you...there's no funding...

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 12:34pm

Yeh we went around those loops for a while. You need to look at why they will not provide it. If you can't get any sense at all try your local member, if you are in a marginal seat they might actually do something to help.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 12:49pm

There is funding available, but like anything in the modern context, you need a PHD in gaming the system to get anywhere near it.

Being honest and having an old boy who likes to show off (deceivingly) how independent he is doesn't help.

The system is broken, even the providers belatedly admit it when you explain what you've been through.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 12:50pm

Well don't vote for the COALition then, they will only make things worse. Labor will probably improve welfare services enough to grab a headline or two. Yeh I'm off the cynicism scale!

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 1:22pm

Anzac Costings as of (2004) Oz outspends UK by over 200%.
Anzac Centenary costings ...($325m Govt) + ($300m Corp)
We decide which Corporate Donor gets emblazoned with Eternal Flame!
https://www.crikey.com.au/2014/02/20/lest-we-forget-to-pay-how-anzac-day...

*Schools & teachers compete for Nationwide Premiers Anzac Prize
Parents soon be glamping out front of Premier's Anzac Flag Waving Military Academies.

*Kokoda challenge is merely a training camp for global domination.
Kanga Kokodas ' to star in Baileys Comets WW II race for $1m Digger's Grave selfie.

Today's Clues:
Wheelie>Wally/Barnaby>Fred/Candy>Daphne/Bunny>Melanie/Sarge>Josie/Podge>Tubby?

We've only just begun to buy our pride...
Finish line may be miles away but Oz is miles in front...Oz is at the forefront of frontin' up!
All Hail the Anzac Frontier!

Free Tip! Seek out your local Aboriginal War Memorial it's kept forever secret & sacred.
No Pomp...No School Kids...No seating...No wreath laying...No Bugles...No 2 up...
Forever you alone! Maybe a couple of Mob with humble tributes...year after year after year... GC Sandcastle's Timeshare Trolley drawbridge soon moats Mob's Memorial Car Park.
Govt make it so you must go walkabout to honour your local Mob...Whatever your Mob.

No money = No Entry = [No Anzac Pride]
No Pride = [Don't love it... LEAVE]...
Swellnet site is a bit suss Dutto! "Your Vegemite Please!"& "That- Peter Allen record!"
Copy of Scomo's Oz Tourism Video >Bound to stop you from ever wanting to visit OZ again.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 1:39pm

Ho! Some funny stuff on here. Well, ya gotta laugh, otherwise...

True Blue Basher:

"Lib MP downs a brew from Diggerz Boot"

Hah! Don't give PM ProMo any ideas!

Blind Boy:

"Best we forget"

Fucken A.

In all departments.

Milan Kundera — "The struggle of man against power is the struggle of memory against forgetting"

And then there's Blow In and the 'stimulus' - as he reckons - that is the War Memorial waste of our fucking money. Talk about pissing up a rope. Hilarious.

Drank up the John Winston Howard Kool-Aid, internalised and normalised. Let the pissing commence. ANZACKERY bubbling away!

NEVER AGAIN was the people's cry on Armistice Day! Lest we forget THAT!?

Howzat?

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 2:22pm

Old School Ties = Conservatives
Conservatives = Tradition
Tradition = Heritage
Heritage = Grants
Grants = Monopoly
Monopoly = Corporates
Corporates = Donors
Donors = Conservatives
Conservatives = Old school ties

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 2:25pm

Nice capturing of the moment there factobum. How can someone love a sport so much, yet, be such a kook?...such a kook in many ways..

Never have. Never will blindboy. But I reckon I won't be voting for that other mob either...and probably never will...again.....possibly...

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 4:26pm

Malcolm's Q & A fact-check. Better late than never?

https://independentaustralia.net/politics/politics-display/turnbulls-fin...

A below-the-line comment:

I found it one of the most dishonest and infuriating hours ever, a totally shonky facade that nobody wanted to put a hole through. It wasn't just the economic claims Alan has exposed or the ABC or marriage equality or climate change etc etc, it was a totally delusional or deliberately constructed piece of theatre pretending to be a discussion of reality.

What on Earth have we become that this 'performance' has been allowed to just hang there in the air without any real criticism let alone serious analysis?

spuddyjack's picture
spuddyjack's picture
spuddyjack Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 4:55pm

For those concerned about the reemergence of political chicanery and recruitment drive jingoism, THE MIDDLE PARTS OF FORTUNE, an honest Australian voice, should be mandatory reading. Like many, I'm tired of seeing the flower of our youth sacrificed for shareholder profits on weapons manufacturing.

"First published anonymously in 1929 because its language was considered far too frank for public circulation, The Middle Parts of Fortune was hailed by T.S. Eliot and Ezra Pound, by Lawrence of Arabia and Ernest Hemingway as an extraordinary novel. Its author was in fact Frederic Manning, an Australian writer who fought in the Battle of the Somme in 1916, and who told his story of men at war from the perspective of an ordinary soldier. The Middle Parts of Fortune is now recognised as a twentieth-century classic. "

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 5:14pm

Sypkan, watch The Drum now!

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 5:23pm

120,000 on the waiting list for a home care package.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 6:17pm
AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 7:05pm

The Drum - nationalism is a betrayal of patriotism...

Waddya reckon Blowin?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 7:26pm

And is it wrong to say that Jacqui Lambie, somewhere, somehow, is kind of sexy?

Then again, at times she looks like a bulldog licking piss off a thistle.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 7:32pm

Wrong thread?

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 7:33pm

yes it is wrong AM .......

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 7:34pm

well maybe after a couple cartons......... na wrong.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 7:39pm

Proud to say I swiped left when I saw him on Tinder.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 8:04pm

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/patriotism-vs-nationalism

If nationalism is defined as putting your nation before others then yes , I’m a nationalist.

Australia before China = yes.

ie Australia needs the LNG we produce , but so does China. To whom shall we prioritise the use of our resource ....Australia.

China as a nation , seeks to buy Australia wholesale, something that is not in Australia’s national interest . In the consideration presented , shall we allow China or Australia to prevail .....Australia.

Nothing wrong with nationalism. It’s not evil unless it’s used for evil purposes. If you’re told otherwise and you believe it....you’re a fucking idiot.

If you’re told that nationalism equates to two headed , sister fucking, kill anyone that’s not Aussie without compunction stupidity and you believe it ....you’re a fucking idiot .

If you’re told that nationalism excludes the possibility of extending compassion, empathy , material aid or unrequited support to a foreign country and you believe it .....you’re a fucking idiot.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 8:25pm

spuddyjack's picture
spuddyjack's picture
spuddyjack Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 8:58pm

@ Blindboy,
I've got to recheck those figures on package waiting lists.
Please let me know your source.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 9:27pm

They were on The Drum tonight. You can probably get it on iView. It was part of an interesting discussion of the issues.

spuddyjack's picture
spuddyjack's picture
spuddyjack Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 at 10:23pm

Many thanks BB. Hope your English trip was wonderful. From your writing it seems that was the case.

You're correct - those Drum figures are quite accurate. I don't know where my head was at. I should have stated/meant to state over 100,000 instead of over one million on the package figures! There were about 110,000 people on the wait-list at the time of the federal budget this year. Even Level 2 packages providing up to four hours per week support are taking anything from 7-12 months or more. Those few hours can mean the world to someone wanting to remain essentially independent at home. There are many who simply don't have the assets (home) or money or family support (or partial combination thereof) to prop them up while waiting. Even basic interim services are running thin due to demand. They then deteriorate quickly and choices are invariably taken off the table. Moreover, within different cultural groups varying factors of filial piety and tradition also come into play as another key dynamic.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 14 Nov 2018 at 11:27am
factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 14 Nov 2018 at 11:56am

Sorted! Vote the shittest of the shit out. Put them last on your ballot...it's where they put you.

But then, as you put it up there previously, Blow In, there's a lot of fucking idiots out there.

(False equivalence, moral and otherwise, alert. Here it comes?)

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 14 Nov 2018 at 12:13pm

Drum discussion was interesting. Especially how some panel participants saw the family house as up for grabs and others didn't. I think it really needs to be a case by case basis, as some places have ridiculous wealth tied up in their houses.

Having said that, I kinda agree with that guy that said the booming house market and casualisation of work means the only way his kids will get a house is through inheritance, therefore it needs protecting.

Globalisation and over the top immigration in oz certainly has given people the impression that the only connection or rights to this country they have left is the little block that is the family home, so I think this will become a highly contentious issue into the future, despite that business something or other chick desperately trying to play it down...of course...

System is all messed up spuddyjack.

A 7-12 month wait list isn't just an inconvenience in the latter stages of life, it can literally mean the end of days. Retirement really shouldn't be the miserable time it is becoming for many in oz. Especially for those that literally built this country.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 14 Nov 2018 at 12:08pm

Speaking of Joshy...or is it JoFry? JoBerg?

https://junkee.com/josh-frydenberg-movie-star/182164?fbclid=IwAR0sVrQTz-...

"I feel like Josh Frydenberg looks in this video...

What's the saying about walking and talking at the same time?

You can see his brain overheating: left foot, then the other one::::Labor plans to be bad::::left foot, then the other one::::Labor plans to abolish good thing::::left foot, then the other one::::Labor will burn your house down::::left foot, then the other one::::Labor wants to steal your kiddies' teddy bears::::left foot, then the other one::::only Labor can be trusted to... err, no. Only... ah..::::left foot, then the other one::::only Labor is...::::left foot, then the other left foot::::Chris Bowen too, don't forget Chris Bowen::::left foot, right then right left then the other foot::::Labor. Left. Foot the Bill. Electricity Bill::::left foot, then the other one::::I withdraw, Mr Speaker::::right foot right left, left, left, left right left foot, then you shake it all about::::can someone help me up, please?

Here, have a stick of gum, Josh."

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 14 Nov 2018 at 12:45pm

The ALP sanction and promote this deleterious bullshit. Worse than the LNP because you expect them to force down wages, ALP is meant to represent the workers - Australian LABOUR party.

Morally bankrupt , Big Australia sell out pricks is what the ALP are.

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2018/11/no-top-5-permanent-skilled-visa...

When someone tells you that they’re for a Big Australia , rest assured that they’re either a profiteering rent seeker or they’ve got no fucking idea.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 14 Nov 2018 at 1:11pm

You've got no fucking idea...again. And again. And again.

Round and round and round we go.

Again.

What happens when you don't read stuff...apart from what you happen to stumble across that fluffs up your confirmation bias for the day. Or is that minute? Second?

And it's LABOR party, numbnuts.

You can't even get that right.

And I posted this for good reason!

"(False equivalence, moral and otherwise, alert. Here it comes?)"

Bingo!

McEvoy and you are a lock! Go you good thing!

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 14 Nov 2018 at 1:14pm

I've got a carton riding on the next 'run'...

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Wednesday, 14 Nov 2018 at 1:23pm

Blowin mentioned before about LNG being a priority for Australian use. I think its time right now to put all our transport fleet onto Natural Gas which we have heaps of. I have already lived through a global oil crisis when we lined up for hundreds of metres for a few litres of rationed petrol. Our populations, especially in our cities rely on road freight to fill the shelves at Coles and Woolies and I don't like to think what would happen if the Arabs decided to shut us down again. Lets start a discussion about guaranteed supply and a safe future for road transport including bio diesel fuels as well. The Americans are already running LNG trucks and are expanding the infrastructure to fill them. If we have all the gas then we will continue to have all the food we need if we prepare now.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 14 Nov 2018 at 9:18pm

No . We dont have any LNG.

I mean , Australia owns one of the world’s largest LNG resources, but our governments have given it away to petroleum company rent seekers and we actually need to import LNG back off them at a substantial mark up.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 14 Nov 2018 at 10:18pm

What does the ALP stand for when you take away the Labour component that they’re so happy to ingnore ?

AP - Australia Party ?

Hmmm. Even that’s not too accurate I’m afraid. Whilst they’re promoting a Big Australia policy , they’re not representing ANY Australians.

So without representing either the the A or the L , it’s just the P , I guess.

The Party.

Now , that’s better. Way more apt in describing the ( former ) ALP motley crew of careerist political Academics that suckle from the teat of our generosity. For them it’s an endless party !

No recriminations , no KPI’s , no quantifiable requirements for success.

Just get elected in , get booted , wait for the other mob to get booted , get elected in , get booted , wait for the other mob ...etc etc and in the meantime it’s gravy train and superannuated good times awaiting !

Like I said ....The Party.

Too bad , that meanwhile their policies are causing standards of living to go backwards at an unforeseen rate. Oh well , not everyone gets an invite to The Party.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 14 Nov 2018 at 1:45pm

Big Australia Policy!

Ka-ching!

Coops red!

Double or nothing.

Find me that policy.

From the horse's mouth.

Now.

Go you good thing!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 14 Nov 2018 at 1:50pm

Almost - but not quite - as evasive as Arborio Facto

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2018/08/bill-shorten-backs-big-australia/

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 14 Nov 2018 at 2:10pm

From the horse's mouth, numbnuts.

Not Leith & the good ol' boys.

Triple double.

Up there with your "open borders" guff.

Get a go when you have a go!

Find me that policy!

Go you good thing!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 14 Nov 2018 at 2:21pm

Mate , you’ve got nothing.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 14 Nov 2018 at 2:25pm

Psychological projection 101: "Mate , you’ve got nothing."

Hurry up, NN. I've got stuff to do.

Jeez, I've got enough beer for my road-trip already!

And just quietly, what's the "Arborio" reference all about?

Please explain.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 14 Nov 2018 at 2:41pm

You’re white rice .

No flavour of your own. Just gathering up the opinions that others have arrived at and presenting them as yours. Empty calories. No nutritional content.

You deride and patronise. You’re contemptuous of the thoughts of others without having any of your own. Effete condescension ( oh, dear being your favourite) and empty sloganeering repeated ad nauseum.

You have not provided a SINGLE interesting or original thought or opinion in your entire posting history. You evade the simplest of direct questions.

You’ll link rather than opine , you’ll refer rather than expound . You have nothing to add.

And it’s fucking boring.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Thursday, 15 Nov 2018 at 12:48am

"...it’s fucking boring."

Yep, psychological projection 101.

Again.

Oh, and the rest?

Total bullshit to boot.

Again.

YOU. DON'T. READ.

BUT...

you want other's homework spoon-fed to you like the intellectually lazy-arsed, anecdotally-challenged, "up-kissing, down-punching" hollow forelock-tugger with the memory of a goldfish you truly are!

Yew! Ripping!

Fair dinks, cobber!