Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam commented Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 2:00pm

c'mon, let's keep this tunes forum on track

zenagain commented Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 2:02pm

Is that a pun GreenJam?

1173

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick commented Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 2:08pm

That would've been good Abmay, I haven't been to Woodford.

This is a really fun folky version of Where Is My Mind. Lior Shoov is a creative dynamo, she plays with full body expression, there's a cool clip of her on a hang that I might find later.

(Hopefully people will be polite enough to refrain from turning this thread into another political/personal soapbox. There are already active threads for that.)
*edit - greenjam's on it, zen has the spirit.

zenagain commented Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 2:06pm

I've always liked this song.

Kinda for the times.

1173

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick commented Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 2:09pm

Haha, that was a funny surprise and it is a good song

zenagain commented Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 2:13pm

Cheers Patrick and thankyou for the nice music too.

1173

stunet commented Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 2:45pm

RIP Christo.

At least you'll decompose, unlike the tonnes of plastic you used for art.

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam commented Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 3:00pm

@ zen, no, no pun intended, I'm a bit slow for that today. I should have offered an appropriate distraction tune, but I've got nothing right now. Stuck with too much work on the mind...

but thanks for the reminder on that album Sublime Blowin - hadnt listened for ages, so its on here right now.

and thanks for the mellower tunes Patrick - I too dig a bit of that. I remember some of that First Aid Kit sound from some years back. A bit of an all-girl band flow there Patrick. Did you ever hear these girls -

from the Flying Nun label.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM commented Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 4:05pm

Here's something interesting I stumbled upon the other day.

This fella mixes Fela Kuti and De La Soul together to give us "afrobeat rhythms, funky horn riffs, and classic hip-hop gems".

He uses "dozens of hand-picked samples from the Nigerian instrumentalist and political figure Fela Kuti, and 8 carefully-chosen acapellas from the Native Tongue rap trio De La Soul. "

Recommended.

And naturally, it's called Fela Soul.

harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr commented Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 4:58pm

hi folks. Does anyone know the tune in the latest Teahupoo clip from last week?
Cheers in advance

Abmay's picture
Abmay's picture
Abmay commented Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 5:33pm

@ Patrick: Woodford has become pretty special for me. It's a must for me every year now, fingers crossed it goes ahead in 2020/21 (I'll be shattered if it's not on). I was a bit reluctant the first time my wife suggested we go, but I was soon converted. It took me a couple of years to really appreciate Woodford and to get in the groove. It feels like I'm living in Utopia for a week every year when we do Woodford. Every year I find some incredibly amazing artists that join my favourite lists. It is hot and the surf is close to an hour away. A couple of years ago I took a board and headed to the coast at 430 one morning. I paddled out in the worst surf I've ever surfed in. At home I would never have surfed the same slop but I'd made the effort to get my saltwater fix so had to jump in.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick commented Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 6:52pm

Eating dinner in a wood fired lounge listening to the cool beats of Fela Soul... nice one Andy.

Nay wuckers Zen.

GreenJam, hadn't heard them before, sounds good, cheers.

Yeah Abmay, I think I've only heard good things about it, I might trek up there one day. Friends I haven't seen for twenty years go there every year.

@harry, nup, I don't know it.

zenagain commented Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 7:02pm

Harry, Anvil FX- ADD

Shazam is your friend.

1173

Dale -Cooper commented Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 5:34pm

Here's one for all you Pink Floyd fans. I'm sure you'd all agree with ol' Roger on this one, yeah?

“Trump Eres Un Pendejo.”

“The dog leg. That dog had four legs. One you found in my trunk. The other three went out with the information you're thinking about right now. Two people you don't want coming around here if anything bad happens to me.”

indo-dreaming commented Sunday, 7 Jun 2020 at 8:25pm

This dropped this week worth a watch for any Melvin's fans

I have a love hate thing with the Melvins IMHO some of their songs are near perfect, but always find lot of dirt to sift through to find the diamonds, i know they are the kind of band that need time to grow but yeah.

Still i will watch any decent band music docco

Please Stunet give me an ignore button for Talking Turkey, Shatners Basoon, Dale Cooper, Factotum, Pupkin, and any new fake profile he decides to create.

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock commented Monday, 8 Jun 2020 at 9:22pm

[the]Melvins rock.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick commented Monday, 8 Jun 2020 at 9:25pm

Good one Indo, love Melvins. I got excited and thought it might be the Colossus of Destiny doc which I haven't seen. Instead it was a cool semi-anthropological look into 'white trash' US culture... hooley mooley, there's some strange cats and depressing urban landscapes in that country. (Lovely to visit for the wild landscapes though). And what passes for 'food' there... bluurrgh, no wonder they're so unhealthy as a nation.

This is a good gig and the bass player's mum (mom) was Shirley Temple.

Dale -Cooper commented Wednesday, 10 Jun 2020 at 5:58pm

Voted off the ultracrepidarian island.

indo-dreaming commented Saturday, 13 Jun 2020 at 6:21pm

If you are even half a fan this is well worth a watch, awesome set, amazing band, with a few little interview snippets.

Only got to see them once, wish they would come back to OZ, probably in my top 5 bands.

Not sure how long it will be on YouTube for free, band put it up as reformed with new stuff but this Covid-19 thing has prevented them from touring.

Dale -Cooper commented Monday, 15 Jun 2020 at 3:15pm

Yup. You're one of THEM!

Dale -Cooper commented Monday, 15 Jun 2020 at 6:57pm

More Flag flying.

Dale -Cooper commented Sunday, 28 Jun 2020 at 2:00pm

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock commented Sunday, 28 Jun 2020 at 5:35pm

You're on to it D-C. Have been listening to Zorn for years now. He has music for all moods and occasions. Definitely some brain bending stuff amongst it.
Zorn at 60 Adelaide Festival was something to behold.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM commented Sunday, 28 Jun 2020 at 5:01pm

Considering that Fela Kuti's drummer Tony Allen died recently, it might be time to check this out.

Shit hot.

free image hosting

zenagain commented Sunday, 28 Jun 2020 at 5:49pm

Was pretty cool read and interesting listening Dale. Never heard of him, so thanks for the introduction.

Screaming eye I could live without though, but I guess it kinda ties in.

1173

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter commented Monday, 29 Jun 2020 at 8:40pm

Call it 'Mondayitis' But there's plenty of experts in my town lately ,,
Wedding parties Anything https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfESSWXbDpA

Dale -Cooper commented Tuesday, 30 Jun 2020 at 11:35am

zenagain commented Tuesday, 30 Jun 2020 at 11:47am

Keep puttin' that shit out Dale. Great track and lead me to some other cool stuff too.

1173

ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko commented Tuesday, 30 Jun 2020 at 2:00pm

If you like that zen, you should get yourself some of this. medeski plays organ more often than piano but he is an absolute beast on both. chris wood plays upright on a lot of their stuff too

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam commented Tuesday, 30 Jun 2020 at 2:13pm

thanks for the WPA reminder tubeshooter

here's a favourite of mine - I remember they performed this one on Hey Hey Its Saturday back in the day, got a recording of it on an old VHS tape, you know the old mixed tape with all the Rage clips and whatever other good music you could record off tv - I'm sure some of you others have or did have these too.

zenagain commented Tuesday, 30 Jun 2020 at 3:33pm

Jacko, cheers.

That cat on the piano is next level. So cool with headphones on.

1173

Dale -Cooper commented Wednesday, 1 Jul 2020 at 2:14pm

Gotta dig some Barry Gray

Dale -Cooper commented Wednesday, 1 Jul 2020 at 5:05pm

I like the fact that Lalo Schifrin must still be getting royalties from the Nine Network for using this for their nightly news theme. Years and years worth.

Another great film, by the way.

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly commented Thursday, 2 Jul 2020 at 10:25am

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum commented Sunday, 5 Jul 2020 at 11:53pm
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher commented Friday, 10 Jul 2020 at 12:16am

Rare pair of swinging catz hit all the right notes & some.
Sly double dose of Rockabilly...will cure yer ills! (Enjoy!)

"Stack -A- Records" by Tom Hall & his Tom Kats

"Betty Ann" by Wayne Hass with Instrumental Accompaniment

re: Above (UFO was the 1970's) Easily the best show + theme + sets...Salute Dale, you nailed it!
Listen out for Uber cool Variations on that Theme Track with each series, just too good!
Silvia(Lady Penelope) fashioned the series with husband Gerry Anderson (The Thunderbirds)
Big fan of all their work...Space 1999 has mindblowing inter species philosophy battles.

indo-dreaming commented Saturday, 11 Jul 2020 at 7:22pm

Such a unique band

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook commented Saturday, 11 Jul 2020 at 7:44pm

That John zorn article was very interesting. I had no idea he has playing for that long. He was always playing at the knitting factory and I thought he came out that scene and period.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum commented Monday, 13 Jul 2020 at 1:27pm
indo-dreaming commented Monday, 13 Jul 2020 at 7:16pm

"I saw sonic youth in 1988 or 89.. They were really bad, one of the worst band I’ve seen. Thurston Moore was playing his guitar with a screw driver."

Bad in what way? (or is that a joke)

I can understand if people dont like them though, i was introduced via Goo by a friend when it came out, so Goo & Dirty have always been my fav albums, i have a few of their other albums before and after but some of it is a hard listen, 88-89 would have been their Daydream Nation tour but still would have been challenging unless you knew all their stuff and loved them.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook commented Monday, 13 Jul 2020 at 7:38pm

bad as in not good
They were just playing noize, as in the genre of music often associated with Japan. No melodies, no discernible songs. Rubbing a screwdriver up and down the strings of the guitar.
Absolute shit. But my indie rock New York GF assures me that this was just a period they were in and that they can put on a good show. Just bad luck getting a bad gig.

Snuffy Smith's picture

factotum commented Wednesday, 22 Jul 2020 at 5:47pm

Humpin' day?

(her first band)

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher commented Tuesday, 28 Jul 2020 at 12:44am

Plasmatics hooked a few Goldie punks.
tbb ordered that LP on release ...WOW vidz were rare then.

Rare factotum dig...never heard that D. Harry one...(Score)
Deserves a Punk sister triple play.

Been lookin' to unload these Prog-punk Gems!
This chick also did the hard yards with zero fame...then huge, alongside Blondie.
Punk sisters ended up gigging together.

Played in US 60's band Sat.SunMat-mm DEVO > NME > SEX > (French Band) >
999 > mj CLASH > McLaren's MOTB -The Damned >

tbb @ Punk Queen's March'82 Playroom Gig "Chrissie Hynde & The Pretenders"
These were prog punk tracks...you can hear a mix of Flying Nun / 999 / CRASS +

Chrissie was on top of her game. 1980 LP debuted No 1 - Week 1 in UK Charts.
# 1 & 2 punk slabs were the opening tracks...(Blew everyone away...just Insane!)
tbb recalls then and still now just how good these tracks are...must share them!

1979/80 Pretenders
1.Precious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YA3hZEDPNI
2.The Phone Call: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7pTFmC8twE
3.The Wait: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UaDlZr_Crs

( Live come down track )
Space Invader : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKHcgfHkIz8

1980's Pretenders / Blondie / Motels...singers bossed new wave in their 30's

zenagain commented Tuesday, 28 Jul 2020 at 1:12am

Zenagain salutes TBB and Puppifact for their awesome taste in music and acknowledging the hard yards punk chix trod on their way to mainstream obscurity.

Zenagain drinks a toast to TB and salutes (read sa-lu-tay) to TB's good health and Facto for his mouse-trap mind and staunch socialist stance in the face of Zenagain attempt at alliteration against an abstract agenda.

Swellnet set coming your way- ━━━┏┏┛┛┛┏ΞδΩЩ㍍㍉㌔㊥仝

(sorry onshore)

Sorry TB, back to you.

1173

zenagain commented Tuesday, 28 Jul 2020 at 1:18am

ps Zenagain rarely speaks in the third person because the second Zenagain advises him against it.

Especially when he's been drinking.

1173

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher commented Tuesday, 28 Jul 2020 at 8:43am

Crew likewise dedicate Zen's compliment as a tribute to Women of Rock
Good punk call zenagain ....crew's insight & alt mix make Ben's Tunes #1

Hey Ho! Lets Go! Punk Godmothers ... {RIP} Chrissy "Divinyls"

*Boys in Town: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_oRZqAamP4

[Warning] Shock Punk wake up call will creep up on you but then enslave you!
Punters claim : "Most underrated slab of Oz Rock!"...{ tbb is mortified! }
We pub rock slaves Hail our Punk Rock Queen!
*Elsie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUiQxUvPrsU

zenagain commented Tuesday, 28 Jul 2020 at 10:35am

Wow TB, killer blast from the past. Chrissie Amphlett God rest her quirky soul. Thankyou.

Right back atcha'.

1173

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig commented Tuesday, 28 Jul 2020 at 10:52am

A lovely Geelong girl. She went to the same school as my Mrs. (Note the school dress). I caught a show of hers on the Gold Coast at the spit once. She managed to screech out 2 songs before she wobbled off stage assisted by her roadies. How punk is that? I think she was a little under the weather. I'm a fan nonetheless. R.I.P. Chrissy. Another Rock Queen from Geelong..(This song is a bit more pop than rock) must be something in the water.