Cast announced for Reality TV competition 'The Ultimate Surfer'
American television broadcaster ABC has announced the cast of their new surfing competition series The Ultimate Surfer.
Former NFL quarterback Jesse Palmer and season 5 star of The Bachelor is set to host the surf competition series. Sports anchor Erin Coscarelli and the iconic voice of professional surfing Joe Turpel will serve as commentators. Eleven-time surfing world champion Kelly Slater is the lead consultant and also serves as a special correspondent.
The surfers competing for the title of "the Ultimate Surfer" include:
- Anastasia Ashley, 33, Miami Beach, Florida
- Kai Barger, 30, Haiku, Hawaii
- Mason Barnes, 26, Venice, California
- Tia Blanco, 23, Oceanside, California
- Austin Clouse, 26, Jacksonville Beach, Florida
- Brianna Cope, 25, Koloa, Hawaii
- Luke Davis, 27, Los Angeles, California
- Kayla Durden, 27, Jacksonville Beach, Florida
- Juli Hernandez, 22, Costa Mesa, California
- Zeke Lau, 26, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Alejandro Moreda, 34, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Koa Smith, 25, Sunset Beach, Hawaii
- Malia Ward, 22, San Clemente, California
- Bruna Zaun, 30, Redondo Beach, California
Throughout the series, the competitors will take each other on in both individual and team challenges, which will be centered around specific aspects of the water sport.
"The Ultimate Surfer" will gather some of the world's greatest up-and-coming surfers to train and live together as they battle it out at the World Surf League's (WSL) state-of-the-art Surf Ranch in Lemoore, California, powered by Kelly Slater's human-made wave technology, in the hope of competing amongst the best athletes in the world's fastest-growing sport.
Alliances and rivalries will be front and center in "The Ultimate Surfer" as men and women compete in individual and team challenges focused on specific surfing disciplines. Weekly eliminations will leave two men and two women as finalists who will vie for the male and female titles of the The Ultimate Surfer and the opportunity to compete on the elite WSL Championship Tour, the pinnacle of professional surfing.
Slater's remarkable, one-of-a-kind, human-made wave—the most even playing field for measuring surf mastery—is at the heart of the series.
The two-hour premiere will air on Monday, Aug. 23, and Tuesday, Aug. 24 (10:00 - 11:00 p.m. ET), following new episodes of Bachelor in Paradise.