Watch: The Occ-Cast with Kai 'Borg' Garcia

Swellnet Dispatch

Episode 35 of the Occ-Cast is with Kauai hard man Kai 'Borg' Garcia. Conducted in a room open to the wind, there's a metaphorical cool breeze blowing across proceedings as Kai Borg riffs on matters existential: Andy; drugs and sobriety, the evanescence of life.

Kai, once the wild man of Kauai, is long gone, and in his place is someone thoughtful, reserved, and almost fragile with his emotions.

At 26 minutes it's a shorter Occ-Cast than usual but it also offers a different mood than what we're used to.

Comments

goofyfoot commented Thursday, 6 Dec 2018 at 8:50am

A thug that found the bible.
Pretty awkward for the first half of the interview, like he didn’t want to be there

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay commented Thursday, 6 Dec 2018 at 9:44am

You just confirmed my worst fears, GF. Might just give that one a miss.

ringmaster's picture
ringmaster's picture
ringmaster commented Thursday, 6 Dec 2018 at 10:08am

Pretty uninspiring....well at least for the 15 minutes I lasted. Moments of uncomfortable silence between monosybilic answers as Occy fumbles with the lap top trying to scroll to the next question.

Yeah, no doubt Kai and his mates would be super friendly towards you if you paddled out where they were surfing in 'da islands'.

tux's picture
tux's picture
tux commented Thursday, 6 Dec 2018 at 10:50am

Yeah 10 minutes was all I got through...if you going to ask him questions about Andy how bout something like," As his part time trainer and mentor to do you feel complicit in his drug problem or that you enabled or allowed others to enable this problem and his subsequent death"

goofyfoot commented Thursday, 6 Dec 2018 at 11:58am

Yep, especially after Kai tells Occy not to hide or sugarcoat anything after he bumbles his way through a question about Andy’s addiction.

amb's picture
amb's picture
amb commented Friday, 7 Dec 2018 at 9:22am

lost's picture
lost's picture
lost commented Thursday, 6 Dec 2018 at 6:56pm

Occ is a legend but dead set there has to be 100 people within a 5k radius of my own house who could interview better than him. He just has no idea which is a shame given the quality of his guests (well maybe not this one).

knB

Ted from the moon's picture
Ted from the moon's picture
Ted from the moon commented Thursday, 6 Dec 2018 at 8:51pm

Yes Lost could not agree more. Terrible interview. Probably his worst yet. The only upside was when Occ correctly worked out what he meant when he said he only eats what swims or flies. Classic Occ on far too many levels sadly.

murphy-s-law's picture
murphy-s-law's picture
murphy-s-law commented Friday, 7 Dec 2018 at 4:03pm

God.
Waiting for it, waiting for it, yup...I had a feeling.
Funny how these out of control arseholes for most of their lives start crapping on about god.

blower's picture
blower's picture
blower commented Friday, 7 Dec 2018 at 4:30pm

Gotta say I reckon the whole idea of Occ doing it his way is to give guys like Kai the chance to say what they wanna say. Sure he has his past but give em both a chance as they have both moved on and are trying their best to do otherwise with their lives.
It might not be everyone's deal but talking about real life and how it is going is pretty much the tonic for most if they are ready in themselves to go down that path.
I liked it. Seems many didn't.... oh well.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer commented Friday, 7 Dec 2018 at 6:42pm

That by far was the worst interview in history. I felt so uncomfortable.
Poor Occy

IF im not surfing im racing

Legrope's picture
Legrope's picture
Legrope commented Friday, 7 Dec 2018 at 8:45pm

I think Occ was quietly shitting himself trying to ask those questions. I thought he was going to get a king hit and Kaiborg walk out. Very awkward. Sounds like Kaiborg's brother Chava is not doing real well. Sounds like a dark Hawaiian vortex sucked in a few people over the years.

nicko74's picture
nicko74's picture
nicko74 commented Saturday, 8 Dec 2018 at 11:48pm

That was a shocker! I hit the stop button at the do you miss Andy questions. no disrespect intended.

Trisso4's picture
Trisso4's picture
Trisso4 commented Sunday, 9 Dec 2018 at 1:38am

Actually I found it to be an interesting interview, awkward initially yes, but once the guy started to open up I found you were seeing the real article. He wasn't self promoting or hiding his true colors, he dismissed Occy's flattery, admitting he's not a good guy. I'm sure for some he was a nasty dude to cross paths with, but some times I prefer the devil you know than the one you don't.

koromaki's picture
koromaki's picture
koromaki commented Sunday, 9 Dec 2018 at 3:43am

Glad I watched it, despite so many negative comments. Thanks Kai and Occ for an inspirational interview. Appreciated the hard earned words of wisdom. Not sure what's so terrible about someone turning their life around with faith and self discipline.