Dates announced for 'The Big Wave Project' by Tim Bonython
The film showcased in this year’s 13th Edition of the Australian Surf Movie Festival is called THE BIG WAVE PROJECT. It's a production that is everything Tim Bonython lives for when it comes to documenting surfing.
Big wave surfing has evolved radically over the past ten years and Tim has documented it all. THE BIG WAVE PROJECT is about just that: it’s about where big wave surfing has come from to where it is now.
The production of THE BIG WAVE PROJECT has taken Tim around the planet to record the biggest and most death-defying waves, and to interview the world’s most renowned big wave surfers. It’s a narrative that will scare viewers as much as it will exhilarate.
“The danger level increases as we attempt to climb a mountain of water where the peak keeps getting higher,” says Alex Gray who appears in the film.
The skill level of big wave surfers collides with the best swell season in thirty years as the world's best and bravest paddle and tow into some of the greatest waves ever documented. This includes the biggest wave ever attempted, Aaron Gold’s outrageous paddle-in wave at Jaws.
THE BIG WAVE PROJECT also travels across Australia, Tahiti and finally to Europe's new frontier of Nazaré, in Portugal. Featured surfers include Jamie Mitchell, Aaron Gold, Mark Healey, Ryan Hipwood, Grant “Twiggy” Baker and Billy Kemper, with insights from Peter Mel, big wave icon Greg Noll, the late Brock Little and many more …
THE BIG WAVE PROJECT is directed by Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts (AACTA) Award-winning cinematographer and multi-award winning surf film producer, Tim Bonython, who has had four decades of experience in filming and documenting surfing.
New South Wales (see also below)
- CREMORNE HAYDEN ORPHEUM TUESDAY MAY 16
- RANDWICK RITZ CINEMA WEDNESDAY MAY 17
- CRONULLA EVENT CINEMA THURSDAY MAY 18
- BALGOWLAH BALGOLAH RSL FRIDAY MAY 19
- PALM BEACH CLUB PALM BEACH SATURDAY MAY 20
- AVOCA AVOCA PICTURE THEATRE SUNDAY MAY 21
- FREMANTLE HOYTS MILLENNIUM WEDNESDAY MAY 24
- INNALOO EVENT CINEMA THURSDAY MAY 25
- MARGARET RIVER THE COMMON FRIDAY MAY 26
- HOBART VILLAGE CINEMAS WEDNESDAY MAY 31
- MELBOURNE JAM FACTORY THURSDAY JUNE 1
- ROSEBUD PENINSULA CINEMAS FRIDAY JUNE 2
- GEELONG VILLAGE CINEMAS SATURDAY JUNE 3
New South Wales & Queensland
- NEWCASTLE LIZOTTES TUESDAY JUNE 6
- COFFS HARBOUR BCC CINEMAS WEDNESDAY JUNE 7
- BYRON BAY BYRON BAY THEATRE THURSDAY JUNE 8
- COOLANGATTA BBC CINEMAS FRIDAY JUNE 9
- NOOSA BCC CINEMAS SATURDAY JUNE 10
- SURFERS PARADISE PACIFIC FAIR SUNDAY JUNE 11
- BONDI JUNCTION EVENT CINEMAS TUESDAY JUNE 13
- ULLADULLA ARCADIA CINEMAS WEDNESDAY JUNE 14
- WOLLONGONG EVENT CINEMAS THURSDAY JUNE 15
- ADELAIDE MERCURY CINEMAS SATURDAY JUNE 17 5pm & 8pm
- GLENELG GU FILM HOUSE SUNDAY JUNE 18