Undergound heroes

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Tuesday, 4 Mar 2014 at 5:08pm

Every surf community has them. They rip. They rip big time. But no accolades, no hype, no sponsors, just memories scarred into fellow surfers minds of these guys catching and tearing "your local" apart. They are usually humble, friendly characters.
In a "music sense", they are the "Minor threats", the "Where's the pope's", "Depression". Some even got a bit of airplay like "Cosmic Psychos"....
My underground hero would have to be "Spart", short for Sparticus... One of my best mates for life.... Taught me so much back in the 90s... With his guidance, I went from an "intermediate surfer" to a charger capable of holding my own, and even turning a few heads at our boardriders in Coolum..... A hard marker, no compliments. Always pretended he didn't see that "off the lip", be he did :). At 6 foot3, (I'm 6.1), he showed me how to rip small stuff, and not do that stupid "hop". I won't share his tip, one of the best small wave/ big man tips I've ever had.
And could the guy rip...... Fuck could he rip....... Was not on 1, not 2 , but 3 tracks covers in the 70/80s, all at Anga'. Surfed 12 -15foot Sunset in the pro class trials as a teenager...... Beat Ratso Buchanan for the Kiwi open..... A freekn legend in NZ....
One massive swell at Point Perry Coolum, he just put everyone to the sword, never forget that day, He owned Cyclonic ti tree, Platforms.
He had a massive heart attack a couple of years back. Artery so collapsed they couldn't put a stent in. No more surfing.......... Still fixes boards up on the hill at Coolum. Still has a laugh......
Greg "Spart" Rhodes, you're my undergound hero,,,, "boy".... Miss ya Bro'.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 8:35am

Honorable mentions to Darren "flex" Landers, Marty Simpson, and Scotty Mitchell...... Was a plaeasure watching you blokes......

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 8:52am

So which one are you sheepdog? Darren, Marty or Scotty?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 9:17am

hehehe, shaun...... :) I wish........ Flex was a former Aussie champ. Marty is a gun shaper, And scotty just rips.... He gave me a few tips on a certain heavy left in Qld (heavy left in qld????? ;) Thanx Scotty....

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 12:37pm

On the south coast of SA Mad Mick O'Connell ripped. He's still ripping it up & he's still hitting the funny papers, even nationally! Insania! They don't call him the Godfather of Middleton for nothing! Foxy Broadbent?! Who???

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 12:40pm

and fine gents to boot . I'll chuck in Rob Sherwell, not exactly underground but certainly tears the bag. Plus D-Parkinson from the gen before. And some bloke called Kong, who surfed better when he was fatter.

Sunny Coast has a superb heritage of really great surfers and good men. Love those guys.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 1:35pm

Shatner and Sid the fish; Firstly, shatner, "mad mick o'connell" sounds like an awesome name for a MMA fighter - "In the red corner, we have the chickenrun champ, the Chiton crusher, the crazy crow MAAAAAAD Mick OOOOOOOO' Conneeeeeellllllll"!!!!!!!!! :)
And Sid, yeah Rob can rip it. Top bloke too. Never saw much of him in Coolum though. Used to see him at a certain beachy near the airport a bit ;) Pretty sure he made the top 16 one year...
Sid, you'll notice my "spiel" re' Punk bands..... Well, Flex and Rob were definately in the "Cosmic Psychos" bracket. But f*ck, mate, Kong wasn't an "underground hero"..... He was the freekn Sex pistols!! Cheers "Sid Ficious" ;)

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 1:40pm

ps sid the fish - don't tell uplift about Kong, "who surfed better when he was fatter". You're asking for it ;)

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 1:49pm

This started out a short list...

Gerry 'Popout' Manion, Steve Hare, Ashley Gee, Ox McKinley, Chris Iredale, Darren Rogers, Barney Smith, Clark Abbey, Michael and Milton, Webby, Chris Bertish, Simon Jayham, Glen Kelly, Rusty Moran, Boogs Vanderpolder, Ben Serrano, Camel (or Caml), Tim Jones, Mick Tomlinson, fucken Mick Bourne, Gary Hughes, Paul Morgan, Brett Burcher, Andy Leslie, Garth Dickenson.

P'raps I'm easily impressed.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 1:59pm

OK, if I had to nail it down it'd be the first name. Why? Cos this photo of Popout was taken when I was six and he's still out there doing it. Doesn't always have the best manners in the surf but has a lust for it that can't be contained.

1pop.jpg

finback's picture
finback's picture
finback Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 3:23pm

At Merewether for me it was Jimmy Mac, Mozza Moore and Garry Blacket.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 3:38pm

Stunet, I remember that shot. The surf world was ranting how it looked like inside sunset..... There was another shot of Gerry that has stuck with me, a land shot, B&W, Tracks, I think, Just a speck on this Cronulla beast, about to be enveloped....... Smaller photo there of Ross Marshall, remember an old surfing world photo annual of him and Craig Naylor I think, at Wreck bay......
http://cronullasurfmuseum.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/roadsong.jpg

Had a look at Tracks mag website. Spewin'. They don't have all of their covers archived, lots missing from mid to late 70s. Funniest thing about Greg "spart" Rhodes is ALL 3 Tracks covers had pink artwork.... Now for a very VERY hetero old school big man, this really pissed him off..... Sooooo funny heheheheh....

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 3:59pm

"Fucken Mick Bourne" hehehe

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 4:06pm

who on the MP Goofy ?

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 5:21pm

Stu, it was that poster which drove T-RAY to want to surf BIG barrels as a wee tacker (8-10 ish), he had it nailed to his bedroom wall, it had a profound effect on his future life.

Fuck, speakin of ol' fat ass, yeah he was anything but underground, but for some time he sorta was cos he hung back in the amateurs when he shoulda been let loose like a wrecking ball on the pros much earlier, being amateur did him no service. Anyway, I digress.

Back on topic, at Aussie Titles at Margrets circa ?'82?, Kong had a trusty sidekick from Sunny Coast, a goofy footer, and it pains me I can't remember his name, that's embarrassing, but it was a lonnnng time ago and we smoked waaayyy to much pot on that Aussie T trip, way too much for this cadet. Hey we were smoking joints in the plane dunnies on the way home, ahhh, those were the days. I digress again.

Back on topic, one max swell arrive during that Aussie T, all the team buses pull up at Margrets, and everyone staggered around the carpark like stunned mullets. Everyone, except Kong and his trusty goofy mate, they were frothing.

Out they went whilst everyone else pussyed out, fat ass got some bombs, but sunny coast goofy mate took THE BOMB, way undergunned, made the drop but the offshore beat him and it out run him and he got smashed.

It was LEGENDARY, and that guy was an underground hero. Would be stoked if anyone can help me remember his name, he spent many times in Indo and was a true gent, especially compared to Kong who was outta control. (This is bugging me now, I'll backtrack thru Bushy M, he'll remember.)

Thanks for this thread Sheepie, good to flashback on some Sunny Coast boys and others.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 5:40pm

I'll chuck in Russel Specht too. Fuck, the hack of all hacks.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 6:14pm
shaun wrote:

So which one are you sheepdog? Darren, Marty or Scotty?

I had to look twice then shauno, thought that was Morris's comment, classic.

I would have to utter words of 'Michael Mackie' , living in Ulla's for a few years, will never forget solid 8ft bombie (ooops). Mick was shredding on a 5'6" twin flex tail thingey, took all the best set waves and layed the most smoothed turns with passion. He has style and can shape some trippy boards that work. Respect.

eggy10's picture
eggy10's picture
eggy10 Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 6:26pm

might of been robby wolf with kong like to also mention mick folker peacock brothers mick court mick neil gary jardine pete pringle jody perry, but for mine the 2 best qld goofies would be russle specht and guy omerod the 2 best naturals craig wolgers and bruce lee and of course kong and ive seen all of them over 45 yrs cheers to the underground legends

Shatner'sBassoon Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 7:59pm

Oi Sheepies, Mad Mick O'Connell IS THE COSMIC PSYCHO! BeGoogle 'Michael O'Connell' & 'Victor' if you wish. He most definitely "goes the hack"! As for Kong, I reckon he's Billy Idol. He'd probably agree, well, he was a big fan back in the daze, hey? or was it Michael Jackson, what with the one glove and all? As for the Margs Aussies, who won the opens again? Shirley, that'd qualify one as a 'ledge' in anyone's lingo?
And regarding one Foxy Broadbent, Banana Bender Big Bird Hodge (another contender! In all departments!) reckons the man fucken ripped (but not in the same way as Mad Michael). You can take a Queenslander on his word, yeah? Fox was also in the Aussie world team (the one Curren won, but what year?). And he was a prick on, in and outta the water, just how we like them kunts.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 6:41pm

Definitely Robbie Sherwell Sid from the Sunny and KKK late seventies Natural Balance shaper in addition to those mentioned above. Can't remember his full name except he was Kingsley. I was only really young but he was a really nice bloke. Sid, maybe you can help me out on that one. He was a great surfer and mined any barrell going around that Wurtulla/Currimundi stretch.

Stu, I love that Gerry Manion photo, always have.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 6:43pm

Scotty Mitchell there 's a name from the past....didn't he end up a Hare Krishna living out Cooroy way or maybe full blown born again?

Tim Frost and GlenCat Collins moved up from Manly to Noosa in the eighties and did some damage with John Shortis and Magoo. Fun times. Glencat -meeeeooowww- has to be the loosest surfboard shaper god ever set breath into.

Smooth goofy from the Goldy - Chris Gudenswagger- drew nice lines at Lenny the Ox. His old man owned one of the first surf shops in Brisso I think.
Jason Cerff and Craig Holley ripped the bag at the Point. Holley was good, real fucking good. Better than Margo. Think a knee injury put him out.
Glen Curtis ruled the point by fair means and foul. Made Fanning look like a spindly kid on the days of days July 2001......standing straight up in huge kegs behind the Point. Concretor. Head like concrete too.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 6:44pm

Sorry, that was Tim Mitchell I was thinking of.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 7:04pm

Mick Pierce on the mp

Shatner'sBassoon Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 7:06pm

Sweet Feet Holley's a good egg, and Curtis has switched to North Point. Funny, both in WA now. NSW must be fucked.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 7:11pm

I knew Glen was down South WA.....Holley's there too eh? Is he surfing much?

Shatner'sBassoon Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 7:51pm

both dancing/surfing up a storm

Shatner'sBassoon Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 7:52pm

by all accounts. I do neither. In company. Surf/dance like no-one is watching, that's my motto.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 8:13pm

Shatner writes " As for Kong, I reckon he's Billy Idol."...... :0) Hilarious!!!! Had the hair there too, for a while...
This "mad mick" sounds like a character. Is he still surfing? Never trust a canetoad, Shats. He'll fade you in the mornin', backoor ya missus at lunch, and wanna lend 50 at the pub in the afternoon, all with a smile, "aye maate" . ;)

Finback - never spent any time in Newy.... Shame really...

Free ride - Must be Tim, cos last time I saw Scotty was at the yaroomba classic, umm 2012. He seemed ok. Trevor Tripcony beat him in the seniors final. Which now reminds me of a couple of other "characters" - Reardo, Mick Grace, Rune dog ( onya pete if ya out there ;) )and a bit of a tragedy ( motor bike accident) - Mitch Semple.... Mitch was freekn somethin'.
Wow, Eggy10!!!! We're goin' back now. Old Guy Omerod- "style", and the peacock bros'..... Feelin old eggy....

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 8:27pm

Hey Sid the fish, was this goofy a tiny little bloke? A south Oz expat? Wasn't Chappy was it?

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 at 10:36pm

Aarggh < goofy .... you couldn't go past a fellow "Southpaw" could you .... Mordialloc's finest ...

The man Sheepie talks of " Chappy Jennings " from a far ( never met him , don't even know where he is now ) . But talk of Photo's Stu , that photo of Him ( tiny teenager? ) in SOLID pipe .... that my friend sold me on " putting myself in harms way " .

Honourable mentions Goofy didn't include Craig Watson powerful and a popular / likable guy { Mick Bourne take note the two can co-exist } , and someone probably just for is antics out of the water as much as Giant floaters in SOLID Bells trials would be GT . Just ask Josh Palmateer. ;-)

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 12:57am

'powerful and a popular / likable guy { Mick Bourne........... take note everyone... the two can exist.......'

Cheepers, thanks soufle', glad to see you've come to your senses.

One of my best mates was Marty Ryan's brother, Vince, and he had some role in the SA surfing association or whatever they called themselves, he loved all that shit. So we used to take tiny grommet chappy surfing heaps. His first trips to yorkes were hilarious, anything resembling an offshore would blow him straight up the face and over the back. Classic super talented grommet though. So deceiving, you'd pull up at u turns or the trough and think shit, its pumping, overhead and barreling, only to realise nup, its chappy and actually 1 foot and unridable. Both Marty and him got led astray in a way, Nicky Wood like, taken up the goldy, although they ripped. Chappy ended up a charging legend at pipeline. Marty Ryan ended up the all time underground hero at caves, but pretty crazy too. We used to have to make these constant trips over there, with his mum pleading with us to drag him back to Adelaide. Once we pulled up and his front teeth were missing, as he'd used an occy as a leggy, holding one end between his teeth... desert madness. He was actually a better surfer when he first got there, could do everything buttons could do, but Dora like, insisted on surfing straight line spears at the worlds most carvable wave.

Les Norrish, from Sunshine Coast who ended up in NW WA was a legend surfer shaper all over the place.

For sure Mick Tomlinson was Mr Blacks in his prime, the tubes were great, but better was so square and hard off the bottom and bash the lip. The MR twinnies suited it and him perfectly. Lots of board makers offered to sponsor him, suicide! He was so funny really, loved playing games, will hate even being mentioned though, so might as well have some fun. He had a ball taking the piss for years on end. Lots of 'locals' wouldn't even get their haircut without his permission. Every time they bought a new board, wax, shirt, thongs etc, they had to offer it to him for approval... and they always failed miserably, to skulk away back to a life of misery and horror. He had a ball with one particular school teacher who desperately tried to fit in. Comedy capers. The tourists were like lined up clay pigeons, so much ludicrous stuff. But he mellowed out heaps in the end.

All those other SA metro undergrounders got their chance at huge margies one Aussie titles, and got the absolute living shit flogged out of them in full view of the country. Except Kym Buckby, who proved that he was the real deal. Like Wayne Dale, what a legend he was. And Lane Habib.

Russell Specht was classic. I remember in the mags Gomes getting too cocky up there, and Specht having him fleeing the country for his life, the black shorts turning brown.

Gidday freeride76, I met Glenn Curtis when he was working for Pete, yeh, classic guy. I saw him give one 'bad' arse legend from the other point a public lecture, and steering him straight out of town. To be honest, he reminded me of a young natural foot version of Jeff Schmucker.

Toddy Archer is well known for his surfing, and well. Best ever at blacks, untouchable. Heaps wanted to stitch him up, praying for him to go down. Among them, team hopeless protege, twiggy Gordon tried convincing himself that he was doing it. So much so that he mouthed off in a moment of ludicrous madness one birthday bash, and ended up stuffed into the bottom of a salad bowl screeching for mercy. One day Toddy was with me at crappy South Point Ballina, and all the semi pros tried ejecting everyone for a photo shoot, the little squibs confident that the chubby 'enforcer' would take care of business... should I, yeh of course I should, ended up in squibs, blubber and photographers squealing and running in all directions.

Could anyone know more about boards than that Mike Cundith guy in Byron?

But, all summed up, who can go past Duttsy in the SW, when he's not line dancing, although he has underground charger and hitman Gaully backing him up.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 6:43am

Nah wasn't Chapstick, don't think it was Wolffy, mighta been, I had a flash at work last nite he was Fitzy. I'll ring the grey grommet today, he'll remember, after Margets Aussie Titles they went up the Bluff and made a book.

Shorty was a classic, Magoo great surfer but even better competitor, the Nixons, Peacocks, Mick Court true gent.

---Could anyone know more about boards than that Mike Cundith guy in Byron?--- Yep Uppo, Richie West in Coffs, Uncle Mikey mowed great foam, RW did the lot, including make the best box fins in the game.

Hodgey was at that Aust Titles in WA, and since we're there, honourary mention to Dane King, epic North Point barrel on a board too short.

Classic Kong behaviour on that trip... The Qld Team stayed at Yallingup Caravan Park, in some dodgy on site caravans. Kong 'n Hodgey, in their revellry, thought it would be a great laugh one nite to quietly hook up us grommies caravan to the team 4x4, and take it for a burn round the park, WITH US IN IT. !! Which was certainly funny enough, but it gets better, in that the caravan, didn't have any wheels, it was up on blocks !! Shorty's fold up couch bed, folded up and swallowed him whole, we got thrown round like rag dolls, screaming to stop. Fat ass had already nailed us with the fire hose thru the window a few nites earlier.

Good times, ay, good times.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 7:00am

Ahh yes your right Southey, GT beat Occy twice at bells. (Trials I think)
Then continued partying!

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 7:15am

you Vicco's would have to throw in Hellman McConarchy, just for the hellman of it.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 7:31am

Duttsy hahahahahah.....

I'll throw Dibbles and Scardy into the mix as well.

all three are pretty handy at G-land

hippys's picture
hippys's picture
hippys Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 8:25am

Kongs sidekick was Bruce Fitzgerald . sizeable - on some waves the lips were swallowing them up half way down the face but back out they went. inspiring stuff for wide eyed grommets.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 8:50am

Bruce Fitzgerald, yeah. The fella from 'Surfing Wild Australia'. First expose of Red Bluff, or as they called it, the Camp of the Moon.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 9:11am

Not much input from northside Sydney..... Too busy sippin' lattes, and getting their hair in place...... JUST JOKES FELLAS!!!! JUST JOKES ;)
State of origin joke - "knock knock"..... "Who's there?"....... "Owen"....... "Owen who?" "O and 8"....... heheheh.....

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 9:30am

heres a few from Vicco...Charlie Bartlett,Fledge,Ray Freeth,Rhino,Yazzie, Oigle ,Wally Tibbles,Mick Pierce.....a bit of a spread from old till now...

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 10:03am
southey wrote:
The man Sheepie talks of " Chappy Jennings " from a far ( never met him , don't even know where he is now ) . quote]

Last I heard Chappy is working on the Goldie as a plasterer. Doesn't, or rarely, surfs anymore as he has a fucked back(?).

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 10:22am

Stu, didn't you guys post a pic of Rabbit, Kong and Chappy reuniting together a year or two ago? Maybe taken at the Quikky Pro?

gibbsy's picture
gibbsy's picture
gibbsy Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 10:25am
freeride76 wrote:

Duttsy hahahahahah.....

I'll throw Dibbles and Scardy into the mix as well.

all three are pretty handy at G-land

Leaving Mick Burke, Eddie Blackwell and Dr Phil off the G- list would be a major omission...

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Friday, 7 Mar 2014 at 12:18pm

yep, Bruce fitzgerald was Kong's sidekick in WA, at Aussie T's and on the Bluff / Book trip. Well done hippys / boys.

Just spoke to the grey grommet who was also on that trip, and he said the last he saw / heard of Fitzy was a long , long barrel at Desert Point in one of PKs vids circa '92, with soundtrack from - drum roll - The Jan Juc Jets (Skelly, Rouser & Co).

Zen, I remember the Kingsley you mentioned, but also can't peg the last name, maybe Snail can help me out there.

Chap has a fucked knee, still in the Tweed.

Wayne Deane anyone ? Still doin' it.

and Dave Smith, ex-Straddie, he's had covers of Line-Up, ASL, SW, Tracks, Surfing and Surfer, not many can lay claim to that.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 12:12pm

kingsley kernowski...??

Shatner&#039;sBassoon's picture
Shatner&#039;sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 12:59pm

Duttz & A.C. Gaul?! How da bejeezus did they get in there? Next it'll be Rosie, Cambora, Ralph Cooney, Craig Cross,Thornie, Moose, Hosko & Danny Green! Get the fuck outta here. On a serious note, what about Andy Campbell from Tassie? Saw him up the bluff last century, pre-Shippies hysteria, RIPPING. Thought it was Margo in his prime as we were walking up the point. Good egg to boot. AND FUCKEN KYL (I/IE/E) MANCHESTER! OFCOURSE! R.I.P.P.I.N.
Oh, and this bloke:
http://www.swellnet.com/news/talking-heads/2013/10/28/brett-herring-stay...

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 12:44pm

ok, back in the Tardis... and back to Sunny Coast, see Noosa.

any of you guys remember Bruce Marion and Keith Martin, prolly way back in your childhood.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 12:57pm

Keith Martin spent a long time down here surfing with Wayne and Co......very good surfer,loved barrels

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 12:59pm

Nah, Sid, but as a young tacker pre sunny coast down on the goldy, I do remember being a wide eyed shitscared grommet in awe at burleigh, seeing the likes of the Harris's, Mcdougal and co getting pit after pit.....

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 1:00pm

'heres a few from Vicco...Charlie Bartlett,Fledge,Ray Freeth,Rhino,Yazzie'

Yazzie? He's well and truly deserted the newies? He rips, but Toddy had him and small wave maestro homer wrapped around his little finger at blacks. Yazzie had a horrendous wipeout, got his ankles wedged in a crack and mowed down... hurt badly, in front of all the newies, so had no choice but to flee over there.

And duttsies pacy work ethic alone, and the number of all time favourite boards he's saved, is enough to make any list. Gaully almost had the blacks title, and paddled the phantom one day. I saw him get a bomb that looked like that old Crawford photo at pipe on the red board, and he back doored a horrendous slab that shuddered the whole reef, and ocean.

Yeh Sid, Richie West is a legend, as well as that Wayne Williams guy from Angourie.

That vicco guy, Ronnie Gorenge? that was in an old surf movie, maybe 'Follow the Sun', with the endless horrific 'Mantra Sound' sound track, surfing maxing, ugly padang alone and getting mind bending pits, was a charger.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 1:20pm

Wayne' king of the cutback' Williams RIP,
Sid been trying to remember Dave Smith all morning, what happened to him ?
Chap the general digs his horse racing and golf these days , the knee is totally rooted........swellnet can you guys run that pic of the reunion with Bugs and Kong again ?

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 at 1:44pm

Ronnie's a MP legend .
Gained huge wraps when on a boat trip somewhere in the indo archipalego in the mid nineties, massive swell hits , and the wave he and younger " more fancied " semi pro guys were riding Morphed into something out of Gonad man territory . Well the rumour was he was on his own again , whilst everyone else watched from the safety of the boat ..... can't confirm that though .... Goofy may know if its true ??? earned himself a cover shot from memory .... ?
Brute , does Flitton rate a mention .... Wally Tibbles was a definite inclusion , seen many a shot of him at some point or another .;-)