Undergound heroes

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Tuesday, 4 Mar 2014 at 5:08pm

Every surf community has them. They rip. They rip big time. But no accolades, no hype, no sponsors, just memories scarred into fellow surfers minds of these guys catching and tearing "your local" apart. They are usually humble, friendly characters.
In a "music sense", they are the "Minor threats", the "Where's the pope's", "Depression". Some even got a bit of airplay like "Cosmic Psychos"....
My underground hero would have to be "Spart", short for Sparticus... One of my best mates for life.... Taught me so much back in the 90s... With his guidance, I went from an "intermediate surfer" to a charger capable of holding my own, and even turning a few heads at our boardriders in Coolum..... A hard marker, no compliments. Always pretended he didn't see that "off the lip", be he did :). At 6 foot3, (I'm 6.1), he showed me how to rip small stuff, and not do that stupid "hop". I won't share his tip, one of the best small wave/ big man tips I've ever had.
And could the guy rip...... Fuck could he rip....... Was not on 1, not 2 , but 3 tracks covers in the 70/80s, all at Anga'. Surfed 12 -15foot Sunset in the pro class trials as a teenager...... Beat Ratso Buchanan for the Kiwi open..... A freekn legend in NZ....
One massive swell at Point Perry Coolum, he just put everyone to the sword, never forget that day, He owned Cyclonic ti tree, Platforms.
He had a massive heart attack a couple of years back. Artery so collapsed they couldn't put a stent in. No more surfing.......... Still fixes boards up on the hill at Coolum. Still has a laugh......
Greg "Spart" Rhodes, you're my undergound hero,,,, "boy".... Miss ya Bro'.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 22 Mar 2014 at 9:16am

No one mentioned the biggest underground hero of them all.... The pig of steel..... ;)

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 22 Mar 2014 at 11:17am

ahhh the Pig Of Steel...now theres a potential alter ego...had the pleasure of surfing and knowing Maurie Flemming from Narrabeen....who was one the original Pig......

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 22 Mar 2014 at 1:02pm

Hmm haven't seen Maurie for a while. I don't even know if he is is still around NN but you did need a steely constitution to survive NN in the early seventies!

banksia's picture
banksia's picture
banksia Friday, 28 Mar 2014 at 2:12am

Growing up & living in W.A most my life, I'm not familiar with a lot of the East Coast names mentioned. So my take on the subject comes solely from the West Coast.
I grew up on possibly the worst 2km stretch of Metro coastline Perth has to offer. Even still, come swell and out came a few notable rippers. From my local there was Richard Kelly(an unbelievablely powerful, top to bottom natural footer) , Jason Butler a.k.a Quokka...same as R.K..but a goofy. An older guy named Doug Bremner who was just so fluid to watch...and never held back! Mark Morrison (Quokkas protégé) haven't seen him for ages, but is one of those guys that can go without getting wet for long periods of time and still tear the bag out of it and a few others whose names escape me now. This piss-weak beach also produced the likes of Paul & Jake Paterson.
Growing up here meant lots of trips Down South. In those days (early 80's), you really had to be geared up to venture to the likes of The Bluff and beyond. The brothers Richardson (Dane & Scotty) both were impressive. I say were, as I haven't been down there enough lately to know if they're still around..let alone surfing.
Then there was my school which had it's fair share as well. These names might ring a bell. Damon Eastaugh, Mitch Thorsen, Stu Bedford-Brown, Paul & Steve Mc Comish....oh yeah...and caml.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Friday, 28 Mar 2014 at 10:09am

Kyle Manchester in any left barrel in WA......

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 28 Mar 2014 at 11:20am

Banksia a good mate of mine in Perth at the mo, Sean Carass used to shape for Rusty awhile ago,
He's good mates with RK and still reckons he shreds the arse out of the wave, RK has a good ding repair going on over there at the mo :)

banksia's picture
banksia's picture
banksia Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 1:36pm

Well, well, well wellymon!. I used to share house with Sean in the late 90's. Small world eh?
Good guy and a good surfer too! Downed a few DB's with him that's for sure. One of the nicest Kiwi's I've met. I heard RK was doin' alright in his business...good to hear!

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 4:09pm

Classic stuff Banksia,
Small world there brother
Sean took me for my first surf at the age of 12 at Lyall bay, Wellington, we grew up at Plimmerton school together, ended up going to college together at Rongotai, he surfed like a mad arse and I played Rugby and cricket, hahaaha
Best of friends Banskia...! He has a heart of gold for sure.
I'm staying at his house this Sunday for a week, have to do Breathing Apparatus, Confined Space Rescue and Heli trianing updates , Love hanging with Sean, good cunt for sure, real good mate from the age of 5...
Good shaper too. Shaped some good boards for everyone including pro's......
Hey I will say your name ,will he Know Banksia.....?

banksia's picture
banksia's picture
banksia Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 7:23pm

He'll know me as Dexy. Haven't talked to him in ages. We had abit of a falling out all those years ago...I was going through a pretty tough time in my life back then and let's just say I let him down. 15 years later I've got my shit together, got married and have a 3 year old son. Life for me has taken a full turn around.
By all means say G'day! I'd like to think it is water under the bridge by now...be good to catch up with him some day for a bevvy...or better still a wave. Cheers

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 7:18pm

Banksia, it's only water under the bridge when you have made an effort to make things right.

banksia's picture
banksia's picture
banksia Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 7:25pm

Fair call Shaun...I would've liked to PM..but I don't think that options on the site.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 7:54pm

All good Dexy,
He will understand bro,
Like Shaunio said Water under the bridge, the tide and water moves so often...

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 7:58pm

What happened to the pm's, I sure miss being quietly being told I'm a dildo

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 7:59pm

Way more personal

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 8:04pm

So what did you do Banksia? Tell us , we won't tell any one else, it will help you to heal.

banksia's picture
banksia's picture
banksia Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 9:21pm

Like I'm going to air my dirty laundry here Shaun!. For a minute there I thought YOU were the Sean in question...lucky I wasn't able to PM. Only now did I realise the spelling of your name.
P.S Cheers wellymon

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 9:40pm

Only now? You spelt with a h in your first reply.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 9:46pm
shaun wrote:

Mind you, I was getting sick of southy stalking me and Morris via the pm's

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 10:11pm
shaun wrote:

Classic .

I miss Morris :)

Personal thing's should stay personal,

Will say hello from Dexy (Banskia) No worries champ.

Mr Carass has big shoulders, don't worry, he know nothing....

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 10:15pm

Don't worry about Southy Shaun,

vertical wind drafts and Elnino will sort him out after the WOTD, which corresponds with the full moon, after the waxing....?

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Sunday, 30 Mar 2014 at 12:58am

well played sir ... well played ....
careful , you don't read too often from the " book of Lift " ...

Shaun , your just upset i got between you and Morris .... so to speak . either that or 'cause i insist that morris is more likable .

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Sunday, 30 Mar 2014 at 7:54am

And better looking.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 30 Mar 2014 at 8:45am

Morris, maybe so but the wife beater singlet, the beer in hand, Tatts and the hair is more appealing to some....
Kind of beats the look of hanging out with OC in the Melbourne latte club all day.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Sunday, 30 Mar 2014 at 9:35am

Southy you over stepped the mark when you wanted to meet in the public toilet block in the park at port Albert

trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet Sunday, 30 Mar 2014 at 10:02am
wellymon wrote:

Morris, maybe so but the wife beater singlet, the beer in hand, Tatts and the hair is more appealing to some....

I much prefer Eddie's new look, err, I mean Shauns...you got it all going on.

Morris looks like a real squid in that suit and tie.

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Sunday, 30 Mar 2014 at 11:22am

Calm down Tripper, as I had to tell southy a while ago when we could do pm's "This is not a dating site". But if you lust, I mean must contact shaun privately just google "Neanderthal twit" and follow the prompts .

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Sunday, 30 Mar 2014 at 11:26am

thanks TGF ,

i only just realised it was Ed's head ....

and welly , in general I'm refering to when Morris was the " head " in his two piece ensemble with Shaun .
Port Albert .... ? i don't know what your talking about Shaun .... I only ever drink at the Family Hotel in Tarraville .

trippergreenfeet Sunday, 30 Mar 2014 at 11:46am
morris wrote:

Calm down Tripper, as I had to tell southy a while ago when we could do pm's "This is not a dating site". But if you lust, I mean must contact shaun privately just google "Neanderthal twit" and follow the prompts .

Oh, I'm calm, almost asleep actually, Eddie has that effect on me, ..I tried to find a contact but all I get is geeky technobable from Neanderthal twit. Wow, a real rough diamond is Ed, a tattooed, wife basher wearing geek...what a catch.

You on the other hand Morris, a trip to Roger David might sort you out...get you looking the goods. You too may then find your rightful spot as an underground legend, yee fuckin haa.

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Sunday, 30 Mar 2014 at 11:59am

I'll stick with Fletcher Jones thank you, quite fashionable down this way.

I'm a legend to some, but really just underground.

Stupid's picture
Stupid's picture
Stupid Saturday, 5 Apr 2014 at 3:27pm

Should get Chap to commentate the ASP circuit.

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Thursday, 10 Apr 2014 at 8:37pm
Sheepdog wrote:

Honorable mentions to Darren "flex" Landers, Marty Simpson, and Scotty Mitchell...... Was a plaeasure watching you blokes......

Wow theres quite a few names that bring back memories of a misspent youth
Remember often seeing Flex working in the coolum bottlo drive through back around 1990 or so when I was living there -- always a friendly guy and great surfer
Knew Marty Simpson when he was growing up at Bungan on northern beaches of sydney was freakishly good surfer in his teens . (probably helped living next door to Nat Young as a kid)

Some one mentioned Darren (grape) Earle , Top guy, I went to his wedding to a Japanese girl in Brisbane about 25 years ago - last i heard he wasnt surfing much was doing the Hotel management thing through Asia though may be back by now

Other underground surfers - Sloth and Bucket

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 10 Apr 2014 at 10:22pm
saltman wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:

Honorable mentions to Darren "flex" Landers, Marty Simpson, and Scotty Mitchell...... Was a plaeasure watching you blokes......

Wow theres quite a few names that bring back memories of a misspent youth
Remember often seeing Flex working in the coolum bottlo drive through back around 1990 or so when I was living there -- always a friendly guy and great surfer
Knew Marty Simpson when he was growing up at Bungan on northern beaches of sydney was freakishly good surfer in his teens . (probably helped living next door to Nat Young as a kid)

Some one mentioned Darren (grape) Earle , Top guy, I went to his wedding to a Japanese girl in Brisbane about 25 years ago - last i heard he wasnt surfing much was doing the Hotel management thing through Asia though may be back by now

Other underground surfers - Sloth and Bucket

Marty is a pretty good shaper too, salty....

ASP's picture
ASP's picture
ASP Saturday, 19 Apr 2014 at 12:41pm

hey guys it would be appreciated if you could check this out

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 19 Apr 2014 at 4:18pm

ASP, what a fucking piece of shit, if that is you....! Shame on that crap mate.
Peanut.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 19 Apr 2014 at 4:35pm

ASP you certainly put that impressive little vignette on the right thread.

There is not a surfer alive that doesn't have their style rendered Donkey Kongesque with that particular camera angle. Keep on shooting ASP, morning looked nice.

sir ambrose beachfucker's picture
sir ambrose bea... Friday, 6 Jun 2014 at 6:07pm

Mark Virgo "mr cactus"

winkie's picture
winkie's picture
winkie Saturday, 7 Jun 2014 at 8:31am

Yeah Virgs would be a notable mention,what about Reevso ?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 8 Jun 2014 at 7:22am

Reevso is underground but in kelly slater league . Peter pan never getting old

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Sunday, 8 Jun 2014 at 12:27pm

Terapai Richmond, mellow friendliest good surfer i know. Charges.
Matt Percy was cronulla semi pro island bodyboarder now rides all sorts, likes to travel to south america but lives on percy street gracetown. Hehe.
Scott yealland, and his dad. Both good surfers and good guys.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 8 Jun 2014 at 2:47pm

Virgo, Reevso, might as well throw in the Johinke brothers. Vince, or bones will fill you in on them.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 8 Jun 2014 at 3:16pm

Whilst there's no doubting old dogs in the water performance, for instance he single handedly saved the roadies and SA's rep in SW WA in that better forgotten Aussie titles. The only thing of concern is the shot of the hair, which raises a few issues.

It can easily be seen that it is a poor copy of the Southern Plains legends, Georgeopolous, Parslow and Giles. Who in turn copied Fricker and the now in hiding Hugh Bailey. What seemed a dying art form was perfected and reinstalled to hero status by the two robbies, Robbie Lodge and Robbie May, who's flowing locks reeked havoc at the Shandon and Old Vic.

sir ambrose bea... Sunday, 8 Jun 2014 at 5:58pm

southern plains and the surnames- now that takes me back- back to when heroin started to appear on the coast and then destroy the lives of some s.a finest surfers and families

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 8 Jun 2014 at 7:27pm

Eddie Blackwell . Got his first sponsor at 36 years old . I've seen him outsurf Dingo Morrison at perfect Desert Point and the Oz champ of the day ( who was a local ) at 8' plus Voodoo, cover of Tracks amongst others . Feral child of Bulga.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 8 Jun 2014 at 7:42pm

Holy fuck just saw the pics of Eddie THE PREDATOR at 12ft deserts
Be carefull what you wish for Issuu.com

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 8 Jun 2014 at 11:34pm

'southern plains and the surnames- now that takes me back- back to when heroin started to appear on the coast and then destroy the lives of some s.a finest surfers and families'

Yeh, although the surfers in question themselves may have had a small hand in it. Still, it spawned a freeway to God halleluja bretheren... a movement so to speak.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 9 Jun 2014 at 12:04am

Udo can i see eddie too at issuu.com? Yeah he charges what a hellman

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 9 Jun 2014 at 12:55am

Yeah thats mad eddie carving at maxing dp ! Incredible pic udo but reckon 10ft

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 9 Jun 2014 at 7:19am

Where's the pic? Is it a recent one, like since he did his back and head in at The Virg?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 9 Jun 2014 at 7:25am

Pic is easy to find . At that web address stu

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 9 Jun 2014 at 7:29am

Pics a few years old I think........good story with it.