Favourite bands past and present

seeds's picture
seeds started the topic in Monday, 14 Mar 2022 at 9:58pm

Indo got me thinking the other day about this after mentioning he was into rap and hip hop as a young fella.
- what was the first song you liked?

- what bands were you into up to the age of 18.

- did your parents hate it? What did they listen to?

- when you started going out did your musical tastes change?

- what do you listen to now? Changed tastes? Still a diehard? Do you revisit your teen years?

-

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 4:47pm

haha. Not sure i remember the clowns 'shitshow' but definitely been a few shitshows after the odd game of rimmers around the same time. Sheeesh!
haha. That's some proper screamcore Snuff. Made my ears bleed on this quiet sunday morning!

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 7:35pm
bluediamond wrote:

haha. Not sure i remember the clowns 'shitshow' but definitely been a few shitshows after the odd game of rimmers around the same time. Sheeesh!
haha. That's some proper screamcore Snuff. Made my ears bleed on this quiet sunday morning!

The Clowns at the Crown shit Show involved some one hanging a steaming nugget and wrapping it in bog roll and dropping it in the mosh pit causing a slow but mass evacuation leaving the nuggeteir in stitches. That is what I witnessed that fateful night.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 9:01pm

hahaha! Could be any number of culprits that spring to mind from those days.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 21 Mar 2022 at 12:23am

Snuffy what was that on the last page. The live one. It’s terrible but hilarious. Now were vocals and visual sped up? That can’t be how it is normally is it. Sounds like the predator on vocals. Crowd was just out there and piss funny

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 21 Mar 2022 at 12:51am

Myself and my wife are laughing our arses off. Funny stuff. Poo zombies was good too

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Monday, 21 Mar 2022 at 1:40am

ahh the shit you find when you have a little browse of the YT files.
This was a show i would definitely have been at because i distinctly remember one of our good mates Boner, getting a haircut from Guttermouth mid set. haha. Somewhere about the 2 minute mark. Was good to see he at least had his clothes on this time!
As a sidenote, the best show i can remember our own band ever playing live was on this same stage within a month or so of this show. Flinders Uni Bar. I'll never forget that show....could have walked on water after that show. Other notable mentions were the front bar of the Crown and the Holdy hotel in Glenelg, and a few of those smaller little pubs in Adelaide with Atmosphere...Crown and Anchor, Crown and Sceptre, and of course, the infamous Middleton Tavern shows!! haha.
Price of Silence at Seacliff SLSC was easily the most violent night of music i've ever been to. That was some messed up stuff. Everywhere you looked bashings, cops, just nuts. Pretty sure that show got shut down.
As for poogate above, i suspect that Snuff and Constance may know a little more inside information than they're letting on. ;-)

tylerdurden's picture
tylerdurden's picture
tylerdurden Monday, 21 Mar 2022 at 4:23am

What was the name of your band BD?

Dx3's picture
Dx3's picture
Dx3 Monday, 21 Mar 2022 at 9:38am
goofyfoot wrote:
bluediamond wrote:

Yeah thats a cracker Ben. I feel like this may have been on one of the old campaign vids. Maybe to A.I. sick song.

Mental song. One that always got played as loud as possible at 4:00 am mid bender with the lads ha ha.
I reckon you’re right too bd, Andy in Indo I think, maybe Bruce, but I think Andy. Going beserk at Macaronis

Other epic mid-bender songs while I’m on the subject are The Pot by Tool, wolf like me by tv on the radio, anything by Cog, My Pal by god, only way out by money for rope…. That’ll do for now

Love this shout out of The Pot by Tool. A rolling beast of a tune, when those drums take over it always gets me going.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 21 Mar 2022 at 6:51pm
Constance B Gibson wrote:

Lancelot Link...Wally Walpamur...whatever.

Meanies were soft as Yarra Valley Double Brie.

Certain bits of the 90s...a cavalcade of meh.

The Meanies as support for Beasties is just a horrible pairing, it's hard enough at the best of times being a support act for a big name band when everyone just wants to see the main band, but being a support act for a total different genre is never going to go down well, that mix is nearly as bad as when Powderfinger & Silverchair supported Pantera

Soft is a word ive never heard them described as though, ive seen them at least a dozen times and some gigs were just craziness.

Ray Ahn of Hard-Ons sums things up pretty good here

"The Meanies are still one of, if not the best, Australian band. I saw them play from their beginning, and the striking thing about the Meanies is that they do not ever put forward mediocrity. Every live show is action-packed and Link leads the way – if anybody was born to front a band, it was he.

In 1990 I saw Link cut his chest up with some sharp stage debris during their set. The blood seeped through his shirt vulgarly and many in the crowd were visibly upset and sickened. In 1994 I saw Link shove a drumstick up his date and point his entire moon at the ceiling, all the while singing his head off. After the song, whilst removing the drumstick from his person, he remarked to the audience, “They come in pairs, don’t they?” which made the audience flinch as one.

Imagine these ridiculous impromptu parlour tricks coupled with the best power-pop songs ever written and you will feel the insane legend that is the Meanies."

https://beat.com.au/30-years-of-the-meanies-spiderbait-frenzal-rhomb-and...

Not every gig is full of that crazy shit, luckily he has dropped the self mutilation shit long ago, but he still is an amazing front man and as crazy as a cut snake

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 21 Mar 2022 at 8:16pm

Different strokes for different folks...

You sure are an A grade fuckwitt though, and sadly from what ive been told and what ive seen it's sadly not an act.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 21 Mar 2022 at 9:26pm

The Sandpebbles for their original music and their occasional forays into Lou Reed & the Velvet Underground.

jwithay's picture
jwithay's picture
jwithay Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 5:33pm

^ their best.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 27 Mar 2022 at 11:49pm

Couple of my old favourite songs from a band that hasn’t been mentioned

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Monday, 28 Mar 2022 at 12:06am

I dated a gal (this was in 1994) who worked as a secretary for some law firm that had to do with the first Lollapalooza (1991). She told me how Perry Farrell was in a meeting with a buncha high powered muckety-mucks, and he just opened a kit bag, tied off his arm, and injected himself with heroin. Right there at the conference table. None of the muckety-mucks said anything, but had to be uncomfortable, lol. She was a HUGE Jane's Addiction fan, so she related this story with warmth and admiration.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 28 Mar 2022 at 12:12am

Probably true the muckety mucks were probably smucks

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 28 Mar 2022 at 12:15am

Actually Wax you’re the states hey. Keep the gos coming love hearing it

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Monday, 28 Mar 2022 at 11:43am

Hahahahaha. The 90s called, id, they want their 'fuckwitt' back.

Keep on sadly creepin', creepy.

Hey Connie how come every thread on Swellnet turns to abusive shit as soon as you open your cakehole. For once just zip it and let the rest of us enjoy a thread about something we enjoy without your adolescent input.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 28 Mar 2022 at 12:22pm

It's kind of weird how people passionately hate on others taste in music or bands or styles etc.

I use to be like that in the 90s, if everyone else was listening too it, it wasn't cool and indie enough for me, my mates were right into all the drop D stuff or popular stuff, Pearl Jam, Sound garden, Tool, Grinspoon, Silverchair and i wrote it all off at the time, but now i love that stuff too.

I mean i still don't get into stuff like Korn, Screaming Jets or Spin Doctors and might make a little joke if my mate plays them, but i dont hate them, its just not my thing.

I love 90s music, but I'm also a huge fan of lots of stuff from the 80s(especially late), 70s and especially late 60s, and some post 00's stuff, i try to get into new stuff but the music scene is just so saturated its hard to know where to start and too easy to just go nah, click next instead of investing time into it, which most good music needs.

Probably one of my biggest gig regrets is not going to see Jack Johnston at some beer garden in Surfers one night with my flat mates (a couple)the first time he came to Aus, i use to say if i wanted to listen to that type of music ill listen to Ben Harper, then when i married my misses i bought her the first two Jack Johnston albums and now i love those albums, just good music for relaxing.

I dont care if its uncool anymore or whatever..

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 28 Mar 2022 at 12:54pm

I haven’t heard jack johnson or bob marley since the pandemic started , it’s because I haven’t been to Bali in that time .

Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Monday, 28 Mar 2022 at 1:02pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

It's kind of weird how people passionately hate on others taste in music or bands or styles etc.

I use to be like that in the 90s, if everyone else was listening too it, it wasn't cool and indie enough for me, my mates were right into all the drop D stuff or popular stuff, Pearl Jam, Sound garden, Tool, Grinspoon, Silverchair and i wrote it all off at the time, but now i love that stuff too.

It's interesting that you don't look into/dismiss current music, but will reappraise these god-awful bands.

Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Monday, 28 Mar 2022 at 1:03pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

It's interesting that you don't look into and/or dismiss current music, but will reappraise these god-awful bands

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Monday, 28 Mar 2022 at 1:04pm
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Monday, 28 Mar 2022 at 1:06pm
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Monday, 28 Mar 2022 at 1:15pm
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 28 Mar 2022 at 1:44pm
Hiccups wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

It's interesting that you don't look into/dismiss current music, but will reappraise these god-awful bands.

Sorry but your making assumptions that are just not true.

Im always on the look out for new bands through all kinds of different avenues, but i find it really hard to find new bands/music i like these days.

Apart from the fact im getting old and set in my ways and like all humans things in the past often seem better.

I think:

1. Things are just so saturated now there is literally thousands of new bands out there so its like finding a needle in a haystack, to the find the good stuff you literally have to wade through mountains of trash.

2. Most new music you do listen too is on a digital platform, so if you do find a new band, you need to be disciplined and put the time in listening to them enough to really know if it clicks, in the past you didn't have this issue because, you bought an album and that's all you had, so even if on the first few listens if you were like this isn't so good, you kept peservering as it was all you had and otherwise you had wasted your money, even with tapes recorded from friend you put in more time as you just didn't have access to so much new music.

3. I think a lot of us into older music have ears for an analogue sound, or certain periods where things were mixed or produced a certain way, for instance im much more likely to get into a band i never knew about from the 90s rather than new music and this is the only reason i can nail it down too.

4. I just think everything has been done before, no matter what band you listen to now, you naturally compare it to something else, i also find a lot of bands im like, yeah this sounds good, and then the vocals kick in and your like argggh his vocals are terrible if only they had a different vocalist.

But that said i use to hate John Garci's vocals of Kyuss and now Kyuss are one of my favourite bands, but i was kind of forced into giving then a real good listen as my flatmate flogged them.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 28 Mar 2022 at 1:42pm
Supafreak wrote:

I haven’t heard jack johnson or bob marley since the pandemic started , it’s because I haven’t been to Bali in that time .

Ha ha Yeah its like the soundtrack of Bali played everywhere, and Indonesians also love Gunners and Bon Jovi.

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Monday, 28 Mar 2022 at 5:35pm

Bon Jovi, ID?! I wouldn't've seen that comin.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 28 Mar 2022 at 5:37pm
wax24 wrote:

Bon Jovi, ID?! I wouldn't've seen that comin.

Mostly the girls they love em, Nirvana are still pretty big in Indo too.

troppo dichotomy's picture
troppo dichotomy's picture
troppo dichotomy Monday, 28 Mar 2022 at 5:52pm

Not sure if u guys are up with celebrity gossip but this weird,sounded kinda a bit fishy story just came out on face book about Bon Jovi's long lost sister,Anne.
She is just about to release an album and go on a concert tour.
The first song is going to be called 'Seafood Puttanesca' by Anne Jovi.

Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Tuesday, 29 Mar 2022 at 4:56am

The Circle Jerks, first time in Oz. Touring with some other dudes this September.

No fucken way! Shame it'll be full of middle aged Pennywise loving bro's, but still.

H2O's picture
H2O's picture
H2O Tuesday, 29 Mar 2022 at 9:27am

Re new / current music, That Surfbort clip posted a few weeks ago was a ripper. New to me anyway .

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 1 Apr 2022 at 12:17pm

Good stuff
A60346-A7-9-D9-F-4618-A5-B3-FF45440-EA7-C6
ge images

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock Friday, 1 Apr 2022 at 8:51pm

That was great Constance.
I havn't heard that before.
Top shelf.

jwithay's picture
jwithay's picture
jwithay Friday, 1 Apr 2022 at 9:02pm

Second that! Masterful guitarist indeed and what a voice too! Great post

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 1 Apr 2022 at 9:24pm

Billy Bragg does a version of that song, possibly his best recorded song imo. Caught these guys at a local festival in London, un-announced, in a small side tent. “One way of life” was going great guns in the charts, so they were about as famous as they we’re going to get. 40 minutes of brilliance, with a couple of dozen watching. They headlined at Glastonbury later that year.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 2 Apr 2022 at 9:27am

Yup, his live act is a treat, solo and with band. Pretty full sound for a bloke solo on guitar and a gorilla amp. Always ended with the 3 chord progression to finish New England then “thank you and goodnight.” Good times indeed.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 2:26pm

I like this amount of brutal.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 6 Apr 2022 at 6:59pm

Great way to ruin some great songs...

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Wednesday, 6 Apr 2022 at 7:56pm

Saw Jello a few years back with Celibate Rifles at I can’t even remember where Brisbane. Great night. Jello was good but really enjoyed Damien and the boys first and was the first time I’d seen them

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Wednesday, 6 Apr 2022 at 8:50pm

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Wednesday, 6 Apr 2022 at 8:53pm

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Wednesday, 6 Apr 2022 at 8:57pm

Give it a go

jwithay's picture
jwithay's picture
jwithay Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 4:10pm

I dug it Seeds, felt the guitar needed more 'grunt' in the mix though. She rips

jwithay's picture
jwithay's picture
jwithay Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 4:17pm

In keeping with the theme...

?t=534

Starts at 8.54

Favourite version of Depreston by Courtney Barnett

jwithay's picture
jwithay's picture
jwithay Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 4:25pm

One more for good measure....

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 5:31pm

I've mentioned this guy before but if you've never listened to him, I highly recommend it.

old-dog's picture
old-dog's picture
old-dog Friday, 8 Apr 2022 at 9:00am

I used to say my favorite band was any band Mike Patton has been in, I also used to say my favorite movie was any movie Megan Fox was in so you be the judge. These days my favorite songs are all ones I love playing on the guitar.
Stairway to heaven Led Zepp.
Babe I'm gunna leave you " "
Damage and the needle done Neil Young.
Hey hey my my " "
More than a feeling Boston.
Wish you were here Pink Floyd.
Breathe " "
Dust in the wind Kansas.
Under the milky way. The Church. ( 12 string).
Put your lights on. Everlast and Santana.
Black Jesus. Everlast.
Space Oddity. Bowie.
Wicked Game. Chris Issacs.
Summer Breeze. Seals and Crofts.
Behind blue eyes. The Who.
Imagine. John Lennon.
All of America and Breads hits.
Tragic I know, but don't laugh too much as someday you will be an old bastard too. I love all music except opera. Cheers.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Friday, 8 Apr 2022 at 9:07am
AndyM wrote:

I've mentioned this guy before but if you've never listened to him, I highly recommend it.

fela kuti rules!
"music in the weapon" fela kuti documentary

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 8 Apr 2022 at 9:17am

Music is a weapon.
Music is the future.
Music is the weapon of the future.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 8 Apr 2022 at 9:19am

This one's for you chook.