That’s weird, that’s queer, that’s crazy, that deserves a long hard look.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill started the topic in Monday, 25 Oct 2021 at 7:04pm
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Tuesday, 16 May 2023 at 6:22pm

Jeeze ... Crackheads , pro union thugs and a lot of hysterical yelling in accents that no way had any relation to the ANZAC,s they are hiding behind .
Surely got to question your choice to throw in with that mob whatever you think about the politics?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 16 May 2023 at 7:23pm
flollo wrote:

Yeah but because it was real rukshan many will discredit the video. The ‘truth’ is being framed on the character of the individual rather than the information being provided. It’s a shitty characteristic of the time we live in.

ha ha so true and right on queue

Roadkill wrote:

I still laugh at the stupidity that elevated real rukshan to some sort of unbiased truth teller.

Live streaming is the most accurate form of journalism possible it like the complete opposite of a 30 second news piece that is almost always sensationalised and misleading

Live streaming cant be edited as goes out live and uncut, only possible way you can mislead or change the narrative in anyway is to not film something, but in most case's that would becomes obvious because the camera must turn away from the action or will still show how others react.

Anyway the video posted is condensed footage but its still letting the camera run and showing as much as possible, you can see how things unfolded and see certain aspects happen, its not based on opinion but more just on documentation.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Tuesday, 16 May 2023 at 7:47pm

Live streaming is as easily abused as any other ‘journalism’. You’ve noted it yourself - condensed footage. I’ve seen videos taken at events I been at that just do not correlate to mine, or my friends’, experiences.

Just look for the thickest part of the crowd, the rowdiest, whatever and immerse yourself in that. Or vice versa. Nothing to see here!

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 16 May 2023 at 7:59pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
flollo wrote:

Yeah but because it was real rukshan many will discredit the video. The ‘truth’ is being framed on the character of the individual rather than the information being provided. It’s a shitty characteristic of the time we live in.

Roadkill wrote:

I still laugh at the stupidity that elevated real rukshan to some sort of unbiased truth teller.

Live streaming is the most accurate form of journalism possible it like the complete opposite of a 30 second news piece that is almost always sensationalised and misleading

Live streaming cant be edited as goes out live and uncut, only possible way you can mislead or change the narrative in anyway is to not film something, but in most case's that would becomes obvious because the camera must turn away from the action or will still show how others react.

Anyway the video posted is condensed footage but its still letting the camera run and showing as much as possible, you can see how things unfolded and see certain aspects happen, its not based on opinion but more just on documentation.

Hahaha…are you for real?

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Tuesday, 16 May 2023 at 9:47pm
Roadkill wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
flollo wrote:

Roadkill wrote:

Hahaha…are you for real?

Did you watch any of his live feeds? Or just what news.com showed you?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 17 May 2023 at 6:36pm
etarip wrote:

Live streaming is as easily abused as any other ‘journalism’. You’ve noted it yourself - condensed footage. I’ve seen videos taken at events I been at that just do not correlate to mine, or my friends’, experiences.

Just look for the thickest part of the crowd, the rowdiest, whatever and immerse yourself in that. Or vice versa. Nothing to see here!

Its true to some extent and even the experience or perspective from person to person there in real time is going to vary to some degree but live streaming is still the best we have without actually being there and its far superior to other media style reports be it a short news video or even worse a news paper article often pretty much an opinion piece with a click bait photo.

I think you can also make judgements on the footage you are viewing, for example if you are getting a good mix of angles and pulled back footage thats a good sign.

Ruskin is really good at this for instance his videos that showed protesters marching the streets like below, they helped you gain a much better picture of the crowd type, crowd number's and vibe as we can see from this Covid freedom rally the video crowd was very diverse

While a news article from that same time could have painted things completely differently and i remember at the time some did, and then you would look at the footage and go, hang on a minute the media saying its all just middle aged right wing men or something is completely false.

&t=30s

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Wednesday, 17 May 2023 at 6:45pm

first thing I notice Indo is the soundtracks of these edited 'livestreams'.. the choices are made to garner sympathy in the case of the war memorial, or to be bubbly optimism in this one. Try the above clip with this, I reckon it's a balanced choice:

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Wednesday, 17 May 2023 at 9:09pm
basesix wrote:

first thing I notice Indo is the soundtracks of these edited 'livestreams'.. the choices are made to garner sympathy in the case of the war memorial, or to be bubbly optimism in this one. Try the above clip with this, I reckon it's a balanced choice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKaDiRiqyNQ

But what about the actual video with the real humans in it?

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Wednesday, 17 May 2023 at 9:26pm

i would probably like to see it, i found indo's posts interesting, i didn't watch any news through that period.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Wednesday, 17 May 2023 at 9:25pm

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Wednesday, 17 May 2023 at 9:24pm

basesix's picture
basesix's picture

basesix's picture
basesix's picture

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Wednesday, 17 May 2023 at 10:19pm

What about these automated phone reports? Where do you draw a line? I didn’t even know it was a thing.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-17/iphone-crash-detection-feature-le...

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 21 May 2023 at 8:35am

Looking back it’s alarming the lengths the government went to not to mention the overall cost of quarantine and paying peoples wages they missed out on even if testing negative . It could have been avoided with a test developed at stanford university in 2020 but for some reason fauci and co didn’t want to roll out such a test ……..https://twitter.com/TheChiefNerd/status/1659903294746009604/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1659903294746009604&currentTweetUser=TheChiefNerd …………https://davidzweig.substack.com/p/the-most-important-test-youve-never

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Sunday, 21 May 2023 at 3:29pm

It's alarming that the high majority of the population did what they were told without questioning anything.

It finally gave people like Stok & roadkill a "hero status".
Getting told they are good little boys for being obedient.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 21 May 2023 at 3:40pm

Omifuggingawd

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Sunday, 21 May 2023 at 3:43pm
AndyM wrote:

Omifuggingawd

Not you Andy. You're alright babe

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 23 May 2023 at 6:33am

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Tuesday, 23 May 2023 at 10:04am
Michael Adam's picture
Michael Adam's picture
Michael Adam Tuesday, 23 May 2023 at 2:28pm

The authority is not reality.
Reality is the authority.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Tuesday, 23 May 2023 at 6:18pm

This one’s for burleigh

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 23 May 2023 at 6:45pm
flollo wrote:

This one’s for burleigh

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrhVkLqJ-9i/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Crazy when you think back and we are all wearing these silly mask and worrying about hand sanitiser it got pretty over the top there for a while, especially in Victoria.

God it must have sucked for people that had to wear one at work all day, it sucked having to wear one the whole flight to Indo

It's crazy that some people still wear them.

BTW. I still havent got Covid

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Tuesday, 23 May 2023 at 7:02pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
flollo wrote:

This one’s for burleigh

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrhVkLqJ-9i/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

It's crazy that some people still wear them.

Yeah, this is quite crazy. I’m literally in Melbourne CBD now and I can still see quite a few people wearing them. Although, most people are enjoying life. Restaurants are packed and some even have dozens of people waiting outside. I can’t imagine Melbourne being locked down. Melbourne without restaurants, bars etc is not Melbourne. It’s hell.

Michael Adam's picture
Michael Adam's picture
Michael Adam Tuesday, 23 May 2023 at 11:32pm

At this point, a mask signifies mental illness.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 8:06am

And if bath towels are bacteria incubators imagine masks?:
"The bacterial count found on towels used for three days soared to 87 million and as high as 94 million on towels used for one week without being washed."
one can imagine all those moist masks worn for too long, touched too much, worn into toilets when doing a poop gathering atomised poop particles upon flushing (as was so often the case) were absolute shockers for our broader health.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/shocking-truth-unwashed-towels-rival...

Think "bacteria in the millions" next time you see a mask not fresh from the packet.

Draw your own conclusions on the health expert advice we received.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 8:04am
Michael Adam wrote:

At this point, a mask signifies mental illness.

I wouldn't go that far, but when i see someone with one now, i either think...

hmmm I wonder if they are just over the top paranoid and no doubt annoying as all FK, or if they have some medical condition that might make getting Covid actually quite serious.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 8:54am

Seems like mostly old people masked up around here, which seems fair enough.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 9:01am

They were handy for when people got convicted in court and came outside to see TV cameras that'd publicly identify them.

Reckon masks might endure for a while in those circumstances.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 9:15am
freeride76 wrote:

The mask wearers we get at work are all old with underlying health conditions doing everything they can to minimise their exposure to covid.

If it makes them feel a bit safer and gets them out of the house then good luck to them.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 9:45am
Roadkill wrote:
freeride76 wrote:

The mask wearers we get at work are all old with underlying health conditions doing everything they can to minimise their exposure to covid.

If it makes them feel a bit safer and gets them out of the house then good luck to them.

Does your mum wear one at a cafe?

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 10:16am

Still wearing at N95 at work

campbell's picture
campbell's picture
campbell Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 10:42am

Is it ok to wear masks while sanding stuff at work? Seems to keep the dust out of my mouth and nose really well , hope I'm not bed wetting but James Hardie products have a bad rep?

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 12:32pm
frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 12:59pm

Fine dust of all sorts is very bad for lungs from work, DIY projects or hobbies
- asbestos of course, silica, bird fanciers lung, triggered by exposure to avian proteins present in the dry dust of droppings or feathers of a variety of birds, concrete dust, farmer’s lung- an allergy to the dust from mouldy crops etc. talcum powder - even campfire smoke. Mostly the issue is cumulative.

In those cases masks and / or ventilation and avoidance is important.

I knew a guy who worked spraying asbestos from a hose onto a coal fired power station wall in QLD - no protection, in shorts only. Bosses from H/O never visited the plant much! Never on spray days. Another guy in the airforce used to have to get inside F111 jet fuel tanks to clean them out (chip and sand off residue). No choice, follow orders laddy - was dizzy for days afterwards. Both died young. The good old days.

More recently, an electrical apprentice from the UK I met spent the first two years of his apprenticeship grinding out ducts in concrete in high rise buildings all day - not learning much about the actual trade (cheap labour) and finished each shift looking like a ghost covered in concrete dust. It still goes on. Tradie reality with the wrong boss as TBB has told previously.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 1:13pm
crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 1:37pm

It appears with all the information slowly being released and accessed on how our governments dealt with the pandemic we were either, at worst blatantly lied to and coerced, or at best handled with complete incompetence and panic based reactive decision making.
I’ve already seen scaremongering articles being published about the next inevitable impending pandemic.
I wonder if our reaction as a community will be as complicit and trusting next time around.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 3:12pm

Still wearing N95 for hospital cancer ward appointments.
Fine and safe outside so lots of outside stuff including surfing.
No longer going out or spending in economy on the cafe/restaurant/cinema/pubs clubs stuff as immune suppressed. I don't miss it tbh, the income that would have been spent is buying income producing assets. Lots of interstate travel by car and surfing different places, no more little voice in the head "You should work and give back to society," kind of thing. So my skills are not out there helping others, but I'm free.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 3:54pm

also

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 4:05pm

I still see a lot of people dry sanding antifoul on boat hulls. I don't care what mask you use, that shit will find its way in somehow.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 4:51pm

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 4:59pm

just chuck a mask on occasionally for fun when you go to the shops, and give an oldy a wink. sets you apart from the scared weird people who suffer from mask-terror.
anyone asks why you're wearing it, tell em it's cause they stink.
#dont be defined

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 5:46pm
basesix wrote:

just chuck a mask on occasionally for fun when you go to the shops, and give an oldy a wink. sets you apart from the scared weird people who suffer from mask-terror.
anyone asks why you're wearing it, tell em it's cause they stink.
#dont be defined

Ha ha ha. Nice work basesix. I’m wearing a mask again, on rare occasions, because;

- there’s a shitload of flu out there;
- there’s a shitload of Covid around too.

I’m waiting for someone to accost me for wearing a mask, or tell me that they don’t work. My plan is to pull it down and say “oh no, it’s not to protect me, it’s to protect you. I’ve currently got flu, Covid, tuberculosis and diphtheria, so I thought the mask was the least I could do.”

And then cough all over them.

Hasn’t happened yet.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 5:48pm
crg wrote:

It appears with all the information slowly being released and accessed on how our governments dealt with the pandemic we were either, at worst blatantly lied to and coerced, or at best handled with complete incompetence and panic based reactive decision making.
I’ve already seen scaremongering articles being published about the next inevitable impending pandemic.
I wonder if our reaction as a community will be as complicit and trusting next time around.

Whether we like it or not people in this country are extremely conservative when it comes to safety. I lived in other places and I deal with different people internationally and there is nothing like this in other countries. You can sell anything in the name of safety here.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 5:54pm
frog wrote:

Fine dust of all sorts is very bad for lungs from work, DIY projects or hobbies
- asbestos of course, silica, bird fanciers lung, triggered by exposure to avian proteins present in the dry dust of droppings or feathers of a variety of birds, concrete dust, farmer’s lung- an allergy to the dust from mouldy crops etc. talcum powder - even campfire smoke. Mostly the issue is cumulative.

In those cases masks and / or ventilation and avoidance is important.

I knew a guy who worked spraying asbestos from a hose onto a coal fired power station wall in QLD - no protection, in shorts only. Bosses from H/O never visited the plant much! Never on spray days. Another guy in the airforce used to have to get inside F111 jet fuel tanks to clean them out (chip and sand off residue). No choice, follow orders laddy - was dizzy for days afterwards. Both died young. The good old days.

More recently, an electrical apprentice from the UK I met spent the first two years of his apprenticeship grinding out ducts in concrete in high rise buildings all day - not learning much about the actual trade (cheap labour) and finished each shift looking like a ghost covered in concrete dust. It still goes on. Tradie reality with the wrong boss as TBB has told previously.

Yeah, masks are definitely required in many situations. It's not all about covid.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 9:31am

Recently back from Japan. Seems like the majority of people still wear masks in crowded areas and on public transport. We did the same, seemed to be the respectful thing to do.

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 9:39am

As Frog states, prolonged dust exposure of all types is potentially dangerous to your health.
Asbestosis, pulmonary fibrosis etc, cause scarring to the lung parenchyma (the thin layer of cells than line the lung alveoli). The alveoli are the tiny air sacs within the lungs which enable gas exchange. That is, O2 in to the pulmonary vasculature which is then transported via blood to your tissues and CO2 out (which is then exhaled) all facilitated via a concentration gradient.
The scarring caused by dust exposure significantly impedes gas exchange with associated increased work of breathing, decreased exercise tolerance and high susceptiblity to chest infections.
This cohort of patients generally present to hospital in the winter months (but not exclusively) with superimposed respiratory infections exhibiting severe shortness of breath, acute desaturation and anxiety +++++. Their lung conditions are progressive and irreversible.

Interestingly, as with smokers, these patients have a different mechanism to mediate respiratory drive (ie the urge/need to breath). It is no longer facilitated by increasing CO2 levels (as with healthy lungs)in the CSF(cerebral spinal fluid), but by decreasing O2 levels and via different chemoreceptors.
Without going into too much detail the low oxygen causes the patient to breathe not rising CO2.

So protect yourself from dust exposure and wear appropriate PPE.

Also for all you anti-maskers zealots:
1. Masks in the community were ALWAYS about protecting other people from you, not vice versa.
2. Still have 30 COVID patients taking up acute beds in the hospital where I work
3. If you're so sure that masks don't work, go to your local hospital, into a COVID ward take your mask off and take a couple of big deep breaths...

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 12:21pm
san Guine wrote:

As Frog states, prolonged dust exposure of all types is potentially dangerous to your health.
Asbestosis, pulmonary fibrosis etc, cause scarring to the lung parenchyma (the thin layer of cells than line the lung alveoli). The alveoli are the tiny air sacs within the lungs which enable gas exchange. That is, O2 in to the pulmonary vasculature which is then transported via blood to your tissues and CO2 out (which is then exhaled) all facilitated via a concentration gradient.
The scarring caused by dust exposure significantly impedes gas exchange with associated increased work of breathing, decreased exercise tolerance and high susceptiblity to chest infections.
This cohort of patients generally present to hospital in the winter months (but not exclusively) with superimposed respiratory infections exhibiting severe shortness of breath, acute desaturation and anxiety +++++. Their lung conditions are progressive and irreversible.

Interestingly, as with smokers, these patients have a different mechanism to mediate respiratory drive (ie the urge/need to breath). It is no longer facilitated by increasing CO2 levels (as with healthy lungs)in the CSF(cerebral spinal fluid), but by decreasing O2 levels and via different chemoreceptors.
Without going into too much detail the low oxygen causes the patient to breathe not rising CO2.

So protect yourself from dust exposure and wear appropriate PPE.

Also for all you anti-maskers zealots:
1. Masks in the community were ALWAYS about protecting other people from you, not vice versa.
2. Still have 30 COVID patients taking up acute beds in the hospital where I work
3. If you're so sure that masks don't work, go to your local hospital, into a COVID ward take your mask off and take a couple of big deep breaths...

I would have absolutely no issue walking into a covid ward without a mask.

Stok's picture
Stok's picture
Stok Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 2:01pm

It's settled.

Burleigh is a Hero.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 2:14pm

The masks we were told to use (N95 etc) are designed and worn to maintain an aseptic environment during surgery. To keep germs out of open wounds. They do not protect the wearer against dust, smoke, any virus.

And ease up on the ad hominem crap.