Formula 1

Craig's picture
Craig started the topic in Monday, 27 Sep 2021 at 3:27pm

How good has this season been.

Besides the ongoing battle and tension between Hamilton and Verstappen, the last two races have been great.

Firstly Ricardo's win and the performance of McLaren in Monza last race, then Lando Norris heartbreakingly making the wrong decision with three laps to go in last night's Sochi race, sliding out on the slicks instead of going to the intermediates.

He did everything right, expect right at the end.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 27 Sep 2021 at 3:27pm

It's gonna be a great end to the year!

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Monday, 27 Sep 2021 at 3:33pm

Lando stuffed it up big time. He looked so dejected because he knew he blew it.

Good to see Mclaren getting up the front.

Hamilton for the title hopefully..VerStap is a spoilt entitled silver spoon kid.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 27 Sep 2021 at 3:45pm

ha , now here's a real thread I can enjoy......best years since Nikki Lauder/Hunt...Senna/Prost....and now Hamilton/Verstappen...some of the best racing you will see , and now McLaren taking it past Ferrari......every race is full of excitement , and the competitive juices are boiling over.
Not sure if you watched Jack Doohan son of Mick , win the F3 race...with Dad watching....Jack also came snd in the Championship....and then there's Oscar Piastri from Melbourne ( coached by Mark Webber) who won the F2 race in looks like being the F2 champion.....and how about Remey Gardner son of wayne ...GP 2 bikes champ......

Johknee's picture
Johknee's picture
Johknee Monday, 27 Sep 2021 at 3:47pm
Roadkill wrote:

Hamilton for the title hopefully..VerStap is a spoilt entitled silver spoon kid.

Silver spoons are an entry requirement for F1. Hamilton is as bad as Max when it comes to whining/whinging, maybe even worse.

Anyway, motogp is where it's at! F1 has sucked for years now. Bring back the old days with v12/v10s!

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Monday, 27 Sep 2021 at 4:06pm
Johknee wrote:
Roadkill wrote:

Silver spoons are an entry requirement for F1. Hamilton is as bad as Max when it comes to whining/whinging, maybe even worse.

Anyway, motogp is where it's at! F1 has sucked for years now. Bring back the old days with v12/v10s!

Motogp in the smaller bikes is pure racing...it's so good. The 250 class with Simoncelli racing was about as good as racing could ever be. 10 years since he died...I still remember that race.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 27 Sep 2021 at 4:18pm

I used to watch the F1 back in high school and Uni days, recording it and watching it the next day. Too bad if the race was delayed for some reason as the tape would run out and you'd miss out on the end result.

I hadn't watched a race for over a decade I reckon until I got onto the Netflix series "Drive to Survive" lasy year and then it got me hooked again.

It seems the sport is built up much more around the characters these days and when you've got one of the best racers ever (Hamilton) and the up and coming super star (Max) at the head of it, they can't go wrong.

The behind the scenes access/footage and even the radio conversations make it so much better to watch and enjoy now, I'm enjoying it more than ever.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 27 Sep 2021 at 4:37pm

Hey Brutus, very few (I think only one) seat up for grabs for 2022. I think finishing first in F2 practically guaranteed an F1 slot which would be Oscar. I read somewhere though he might not get it and the seat will go to the Chinese driver, I can't recall his name, making him China's first F1 driver.

Been loving following Daniel Riccardo's transition from RB to Renault and McLaren this year. I hope he can keep up the momentum.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Monday, 27 Sep 2021 at 4:52pm
zenagain wrote:

Hey Brutus, very few (I think only one) seat up for grabs for 2022. I think finishing first in F2 practically guaranteed an F1 slot which would be Oscar. I read somewhere though he might not get it and the seat will go to the Chinese driver, I can't recall his name, making him China's first F1 driver.

Been loving following Daniel Riccardo's transition from RB to Renault and McLaren this year. I hope he can keep up the momentum.

Guanyu Zhou. He has something like 50 million backing him and Oscar Piastri doesn’t. The AUS guy may loose out in getting the f1 seat he deserves sadly.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 27 Sep 2021 at 5:29pm

That's him Roady, and the seat will be with Alpha Romeo joining Bottas, who's leaving Benz.

Sadly money talks- you just have to look at Lance Stroll or that Mazepin chap.

"I liked it so much, I bought the company" as the old ad went.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 27 Sep 2021 at 5:44pm

Yeah pity re Stroll and his Dad putting him in the team. Didn't really earn it eh.,

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 27 Sep 2021 at 6:40pm

In fairness, Stroll can drive and has had three podium finishes, Mazepin has had none.

Johknee's picture
Johknee's picture
Johknee Monday, 27 Sep 2021 at 7:14pm
Roadkill wrote:

Motogp in the smaller bikes is pure racing...it's so good. The 250 class with Simoncelli racing was about as good as racing could ever be. 10 years since he died...I still remember that race.

Agree. 125 and 250 were awesome. I remember the Simoncelli race well. So sad.

The moto3 championship is the most exciting racing you'll ever see. So many passes and, on average, a dozen riders all in with a chance to win the race. I know there has been a lot of talk about the moto3 riders being too risky, but shit it's fun to watch! Pure madness what they do at high speeds.

Sorry for hijacking the F1 talk!

Johknee's picture
Johknee's picture
Johknee Monday, 27 Sep 2021 at 7:55pm

Back to F1 talk - Schumacher doco on Netflix is a good watch.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 28 Sep 2021 at 6:54am

Yeah I enjoyed it, great bit of history!

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 28 Sep 2021 at 8:31am
zenagain wrote:

yeah Zen nice to have a change of subject...how and you and the missus travelling?

was coming to Japan this year , but cancelled the whole trip , waiting for the vax levels to rise and I'll be back ..come up your way this time, going to do a road trip up to Hakaido....so see ya next year.
Yeah Zhou will possibly get next years F1 drive , Oscar has been great , but will probably spend another year in F2...it's actually amazing to see all the Aussies getting starts as it's so expensive to get into the F1 club and very Eurocentric.......some of the best racing I have seen....best season yet...if ya get a chance watch the F3 , and doohans race ...unbelievable...

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 28 Sep 2021 at 8:35am

Will do.

We're all good and plenty of room for you and yours here. We're not going anywhere (sadly- ha ha!)

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 3:30pm

I watched that F3 race Brutus. What a finish!

How was Jack not giving into team orders at all. So good, good on him!

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Wednesday, 6 Oct 2021 at 12:07am

When you pay to drive to make a career in motorsport at that level
you would commit racing suicide in the eyes of future team bosses to
let your team mate pass when theyre 1st and 2nd and both going for
outright champion for the year. Jacks aiming for formula one and those
guys dont like people to be happy with second only when theyre paying millions for them to be a wingman. My only fear about Jack is redbull will
pick him up and they only have Australians for wingman. Webber, Riccardo

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Saturday, 9 Oct 2021 at 7:42am

Turkish F1 this weekend. Redbull new livery looks faaaantastic. Its ganna be a super weekend.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 9 Oct 2021 at 8:29am

https://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsport/formula-one/aussie-young-gun-os...

Would be great to see two Aussies with an F1 drive.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Saturday, 9 Oct 2021 at 11:12am
Roadkill wrote:

Turkish F1 this weekend. Redbull new livery looks faaaantastic. Its ganna be a super weekend.

Yeah love the old school look! Brings back memories.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 9 Oct 2021 at 12:06pm
evosurfer wrote:

When you pay to drive to make a career in motorsport at that level
you would commit racing suicide in the eyes of future team bosses to
let your team mate pass when theyre 1st and 2nd and both going for
outright champion for the year. Jacks aiming for formula one and those
guys dont like people to be happy with second only when theyre paying millions for them to be a wingman. My only fear about Jack is redbull will
pick him up and they only have Australians for wingman. Webber, Riccardo

F3 is bit different to F1 and F2....they normally don't have team orders . He did let his team member pass him , but repassed him again. lotta talent in those Doohan Genes, great to see his dad there supporting him and keep help building Jack's profile as a real racer!
For the Future , it's insanely hard for an Aussie to get a number 1# drive in a number 1# team and you are right in it looks like being a Top wingman is going to always be the norm!

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 9 Oct 2021 at 12:11pm
zenagain wrote:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsport/formula-one/aussie-young-gun-os...

Would be great to see two Aussies with an F1 drive.

yeah Zen....Oscar looks the good . I think he's a shade faster than Zhou( but racer from China should have incredible financial support!) , but Oscar definitely has way better race day craft.....which will stand him in good stead with a lowly F1team .....for the debut of his F1 career..more likely than not in2023......

Having Mark Webber helping Oscar , is a huge bonus as Mark know all the ins and outs of the business ....very interesting times....

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Monday, 25 Oct 2021 at 7:19am

12 laps to go…fascinating race in the US. Come on Lewis.

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Monday, 25 Oct 2021 at 7:31am
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Monday, 25 Oct 2021 at 9:52am
san Guine wrote:

This will take the fun out of F1
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-24/self-driving-race-cars-reach-blis...

I doubt it will be a threat to car racing. It is just remote controlled cars…bigger than the usual remote controlled cars we know now.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Monday, 25 Oct 2021 at 9:53am

What a great race…great finish, this season is shaping up to be one of the best.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 26 Oct 2021 at 10:04am
Roadkill wrote:

What a great race…great finish, this season is shaping up to be one of the best.

yeah How good is F1 right now......that race was insane...400,000 people attended the GP.......Riccardo drove brilliantly for a 5th......I really like Hamilton , but Verstappen is making this like the good old days of Senna/Prost / etc....

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 26 Oct 2021 at 11:49am

it was a great race. Looks DR is getting into the groove of his MCL35.

I hope Lewis can peg back Verstappen. Max is a great driver but to me he's kinda the Medina of F1.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 26 Oct 2021 at 12:10pm
zenagain wrote:

it was a great race. Looks DR is getting into the groove of his MCL35.

I hope Lewis can peg back Verstappen. Max is a great driver but to me he's kinda the Medina of F1.

yeah Zen......Max has a pretty cold exterior, ultimate racer , whereas Lewis has a really easy going personality.....bit like Hunt and Nikki Lauda........

Not sure if you watch the Moto Gp or the Moto 2.......also incredible racing....Remy Gardner (Waynes son ) had a shocker , was leading the Championship , started 15 th on the grid , his main rival was winning and crashed......giving the points lead back to remy...more to come!!!!!

How's the surf been this year??

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 26 Oct 2021 at 12:45pm

No, haven't watched the Moto GP in ages. Sorta lost interest after Casey Stoner walked away. Used to love the 125's. Mad racing.

Surf has been good and water stayed warm. Winter is on the way though. North swells, all day offshores and 5 mil top to toe. I'm starting to get amped for the snow too.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 26 Oct 2021 at 1:25pm

I find Max a bit of a privaledged daddy's boy. Kind of no real sacrifice to get there...is a super talented driver but a wanker mostly.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 26 Oct 2021 at 1:33pm

Hence, the Medina of F1.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 26 Oct 2021 at 4:44pm
zenagain wrote:

Hence, the Medina of F1.

ya got me Zen as I have liked Medina since the first time I met him...reminded me of a young competitive Aussie, ruthless in every facet of the sport!
I think Charlie in the end was way too negative for Gabs and his new wife......angry all the time , questioning everything from the judges to the other competitors....fuck once at the Hurley Lowers CT event, Gabs got badly ripped off, I was asked by RC's marketing manager to grab Charlie and not let him get to the judges.......job done....
Since Kingy started coaching Gabs he's a lot more relaxed and enjoying life.....however when you know Max V's dad....now there's another case of " Charlie Syndrome" ....have you ever seen Rush Zen?
The best sporting story ever of Hunt and Lauda...excellent to see the extravert and the introvert....see ya soon I hope!!

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Tuesday, 26 Oct 2021 at 9:20pm

Rush what a fantastic movie. Hemsworth playing playboy Hunt
absolutely brilliant who ever played Lauda even more so. Must of
watch it 5 or 6 times and probably watch it another 5 or 6 times.
As for max Vanstrapon I cant stand the smug bastard.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Tuesday, 26 Oct 2021 at 9:20pm

Rush what a fantastic movie. Hemsworth playing playboy Hunt
absolutely brilliant who ever played Lauda even more so. Must of
watch it 5 or 6 times and probably watch it another 5 or 6 times.
As for max Vanstrapon I cant stand the smug bastard.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 31 Oct 2021 at 8:20pm

I watched small bits of the v8’s over the weekend. Gawd what a bore…it was so dull.

Bathurst will deliver as usual but the v8’s are nothing like previous years.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 7 Nov 2021 at 6:43pm

Mexico tomorrow. Merc 1 & 2. RedBull 3 & 4.

It’s going to be a beauty. Come on Lewis.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Sunday, 7 Nov 2021 at 6:59pm

Yep, watched qualifying just before, Red Bull not performing as expected, slipping a bit all over the place, should be a good one! Bottas on fire.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Monday, 8 Nov 2021 at 8:32am

Roadkill actually for V8 racing combined with the layout of Eastern Creek
it was above par. EC dosent deliver close and exciting racing I dont really
understand why I absolutely hated racing on it and the general opinion
of most categories drivers was the same. Just plain boring even racing on it.
The support events were pretty entertaining I thought that maybe because
they were the cars I raced and have a special interest in them.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Monday, 8 Nov 2021 at 9:05am

Redbulls were super fast…not as exciting as the last race. Merc need to up their game or Redbull will drive off in front.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 5 Dec 2021 at 6:40am

Saudi qualifrying…wow. Exciting stuff.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Sunday, 5 Dec 2021 at 11:00am

Yeah wow that was great!

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Monday, 6 Dec 2021 at 6:56am

Just WOW. Best race for years and years….

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 6 Dec 2021 at 10:31am

Go Lewis!

Suffer in your jocks Max.

Good to see Daniel Ricciardo back in the points.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 6 Dec 2021 at 1:08pm

Wow that was crazy!! What a race.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 6 Dec 2021 at 1:09pm

Chaos!

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Friday, 10 Dec 2021 at 2:56pm

1st practice session tonight. Sooooooo good.
I can't wait for it. So much to be revealed.
I hope Jos has clean panties...surely he will get them all messed up.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 10 Dec 2021 at 3:08pm

Yep, I'll be watching the replay Monday so mind keeping spoilers off the front page till maybe Mon eve?

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Friday, 10 Dec 2021 at 4:05pm

You've done it now Craig haha