Formula 1

Craig's picture
Craig started the topic in Monday, 27 Sep 2021 at 3:27pm

How good has this season been.

Besides the ongoing battle and tension between Hamilton and Verstappen, the last two races have been great.

Firstly Ricardo's win and the performance of McLaren in Monza last race, then Lando Norris heartbreakingly making the wrong decision with three laps to go in last night's Sochi race, sliding out on the slicks instead of going to the intermediates.

He did everything right, expect right at the end.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Friday, 10 Dec 2021 at 4:07pm

My lips are sealed.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Friday, 10 Dec 2021 at 5:11pm

Best racing ever....if you can watch the F2 and Oscar Piastri from Melb...watch the most insane 2 races in Saudi arabia......like dodgem cars......
Will be interesting to see if Verstappen runs into Lewis and wins the World title...watching Verstappens Dad in SA ..big pressure...

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 10 Dec 2021 at 8:22pm

As much as you enjoyed it Brutus, doesn't it come across to you as a waste of fossil fuels we may have a need for in two hundered years. a game, costing all these fossil fuels all thee petrochemical boards etc
for something as finite as surfing or racing cars formula 1 and supercars 12 etc.such a waste of fuel we could be using in 2oo years to do something lifechanging for people on earth if we hold out on pure lessure of mass greed and extravagance, ignore that and go to sustaine it

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 10 Dec 2021 at 8:54pm
groundswell wrote:

As much as you enjoyed it Brutus, doesn't it come across to you as a waste of fossil fuels we may have a need for in two hundered years. a game, costing all these fossil fuels all thee petrochemical boards etc
for something as finite as surfing or racing cars formula 1 and supercars 12 etc.such a waste of fuel we could be using in 2oo years to do something lifechanging for people on earth if we hold out on pure lessure of mass greed and extravagance, ignore that and go to sustaine it

With the whole electric car thing, what's the future of motorsport????

You would expect they will continue to produce a certain amount of fuel, so you would expect these sports will continue and probably become more interesting in a sense, the kids of the future will most likely never have taken a ride or seen a petrol driven car, it will kinda of be like an old steam train is to us.

Expect in the future (maybe near future) we will also see people protesting at these events for burning fossil fuels.

Kinda feel sorry for the whole bikie scene though, an electric Harley just wont be the same.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 11 Dec 2021 at 7:43am

Groundswell , Not sure you know but the motors they use are the most advanced Hybrid motors in the World . F1 cars are the most technologically advanced cars in the World .
F1 is the pinnacle of motor Technology , so their technology trickles down to the Motor industry , F1 is carbon Neutral....every year there are a change in regulations and specs on the cars trying to make them slower...but always go faster as the engineers push new ideas and tech tweaks so we all benefit from the F1 Technology.
They have gone from V8 fossil fuel motors in 2014 , to todays V6 Hybrid motors....and more big changes next year that reflect the sports committment to be greener!

groundswell wrote:

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 11 Dec 2021 at 7:57am

Indo, read what I wrote to Groundswell.....the technological advancements in Hybrid motors came from F1.....they are carbon neutral , and showing whats possible for the future with greener technologies....however our V8 supercars use ethanol fuels , but sell the V8's to the public like the V8 Mustangs.....
For me F1 is so damn exciting as there is nothing in motorsport that comes close to how advanced their technology is , and there is nothing else in the world that comes close to their speed , braking and aerodynamics.....the pinnacle of motor car technology...a tiny V6 hybrid motor that gives a 1000 HP......so F1 is a bit like NASA!

indo-dreaming wrote:
groundswell wrote:

With the whole electric car thing, what's the future of motorsport????

You would expect they will continue to produce a certain amount of fuel, so you would expect these sports will continue and probably become more interesting in a sense, the kids of the future will most likely never have taken a ride or seen a petrol driven car, it will kinda of be like an old steam train is to us.

Expect in the future (maybe near future) we will also see people protesting at these events for burning fossil fuels.

Kinda feel sorry for the whole bikie scene though, an electric Harley just wont be the same.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 12 Dec 2021 at 9:58am

Lewis to win….Mercedes will be too strong, and they know it. Lewis in the interview after qualifying had a little twinkle in his eye. The faster Merc will pass Max and win or Max will bump Lewis to win.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 12 Dec 2021 at 11:00am

And a huge congrats to Oscar Piastri for locking in the F2 title. Shame he didn't get the seat for next year (would have if the selection was based on performance only) but it's only a matter of time.

Max on Pole and I predict Lewis will pass him on the first lap, Max will run straight up his arse taking them both out and he will then be the champ after the countback.

Go Lewis!

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 12 Dec 2021 at 12:30pm
zenagain wrote:

And a huge congrats to Oscar Piastri for locking in the F2 title. Shame he didn't get the seat for next year (would have if the selection was based on performance only) but it's only a matter of time.

Max on Pole and I predict Lewis will pass him on the first lap, Max will run straight up his arse taking them both out and he will then be the champ after the countback.

Go Lewis!

I reckon he will get there. And be a far better driver than Zhoy, who will only ever be a journeyman in a low level team. Piastri, is the real deal, and will be in one of the top teams eventually.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 12 Dec 2021 at 2:03pm

100% Roady.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Sunday, 12 Dec 2021 at 2:47pm

Hi Zen.......Oscar wins F2 Championship......tonites race has him on pole, and a young bloke in his second race in F2 is on the front grid with him, Jack Doohan......amazing!!!! here's a little historic on Oscar...
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/motorsport/talent-nerve-and-cash-lots-of...

zenagain wrote:

Go Lewis!

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Sunday, 12 Dec 2021 at 2:50pm

RK, Zhou drove really well at the start of the season but Oscar blew everyone one away in the 2nd half of the season.....
There a part of me that wants Max to win as Lewis/Mercedes has been so dominant and next years changes to the cars favors the Mercs...so red Bull/Max , just to break up the dominace!

Roadkill wrote:
zenagain wrote:

Go Lewis!

I reckon he will get there. And be a far better driver than Zhoy, who will only ever be a journeyman in a low level team. Piastri, is the real deal, and will be in one of the top teams eventually.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 12 Dec 2021 at 3:14pm

Thanks Bru, cool article and great to get some of the back story on Oscar.

Looks like he's got some good people behind him. Exciting times to look forward to.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 12 Dec 2021 at 10:38pm

Nikita Mazepin out after testing positive for covid.

Shitty way to end your season.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 13 Dec 2021 at 1:52am

WTF?

Sorry, but hollow victory imo.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Monday, 13 Dec 2021 at 7:31am

Rules…ignore them.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Monday, 13 Dec 2021 at 7:31am

Great stuff tho….1 camp happy, the other not so much.

R00ney's picture
R00ney's picture
R00ney Monday, 13 Dec 2021 at 9:09am

Totally agree with you zen.
An absolute cluster fuck in the end, very hollow victory.
MB clearly had the best car and driver on the day.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Monday, 13 Dec 2021 at 11:39am

Michael Masi...who created the clusterfuck...is an Aussie, ex v8 supercar race director.
I doubt he will be around next year.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 13 Dec 2021 at 11:57am

Wow, jeez not sure about that finish!!!! Crazy.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Monday, 13 Dec 2021 at 12:04pm

Horner conned Masi...and Masi fell for it...bent over and shafted. Lewis was robbed by Masi

R00ney's picture
R00ney's picture
R00ney Monday, 13 Dec 2021 at 3:38pm

Absolutely Roadkill.
Watching it, Red Bull winge, next thing Massi half applies a rule at the latest possible moment.
Game over.
Having said that, who would want Massi's job this year, let alone this morning? This isn't tin tops and he well and truly fucked it.
If it finished under a yellow, so be it rather than the WWE hoax it looked like.
Doubt if Massi even gets a gig doing S5000s next year...

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Monday, 13 Dec 2021 at 4:03pm

Despicable disgraceful gutless underhanded and damn right unsportsmanlike what a
cheating system not a fan of either but that even tops some of the heat scores of the WCT.
What a shallow victory like going to a gun fight with one not having any bullets. SHAM

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 13 Dec 2021 at 4:08pm

I reckon Lewis was still gracious after defeat but what I would like to see is, should the MB appeal be successful, to knock back the title and let Max keep it.

Reason being, if they belatedly award the title to Lewis, the circumstances of the win will overshadow the significance of being the greatest F1 driver ever. No matter what some poeple say, there will always be a cloud hanging over Max's title despite him rightfully being an amazing driver. His title already has a whiff of cheap chicanery and that certainly has taken a bit of shine off the silverware.

He won the title but and I fully understand what's at stake at that level but when you look at it from a purely sporting standpoint, it wasn't the best man won in my opinion.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 14 Dec 2021 at 6:39am

Yep Lewis very gracious in defeat, I couldn't see Max acting similarly if the tables were turned.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 14 Dec 2021 at 3:29pm

I think that Lewis should have given a place back on the first corner when Max came down the inside of the track.......there have been so many contentious decisions this year , and Max will always suffer the slight of the last lap on fresh tyres and Lewis on old hard tyres.......
Max is the fastest driver , but Lewis is the best race day driver....Mercedes had the best car in the second 1/2 of the season......but Max and Lewis are way ahead of the rest.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 14 Dec 2021 at 3:34pm

I'm not sure about that first point Brutus. Looked like he came in way too late and deep, and Lewis had to take action not to turn into the apex and hit him. IE if Lewis did cut across he would have been t-boned.

Either way an incredible season and some insane races.

Cockee's picture
Cockee's picture
Cockee Tuesday, 14 Dec 2021 at 7:51pm

Can't believe we are now also F1 experts (in addition to politics, covid, climate, sharks, USA, wavepools, racism, etc etc). Where does swellnet contributors' wealth of knowledge end? FFS it's a car race and the one which crossed the line first is the winner. PS if the greenies get their way the last car to finish will be the winner.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Tuesday, 14 Dec 2021 at 8:48pm

Cockee judging by the way you present yourself I ask the question do you actually know
what car racing is?

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Wednesday, 15 Dec 2021 at 7:25am

Masi will be goooonski pretty soon.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Wednesday, 15 Dec 2021 at 7:29am

Hi Craig.......I think the reasoning that Lewis slowed down after he re-joined the track because of the off track distance advantage he gained was pretty questionable.....Max came in late as he knew he had superior grip with the super soft tyres and Lewis would struggle for heat in the softs.....all history now , one of the best seasons I have watched in any sport , lets hope next years with the new cars will be just as good.
Riccardo was disappointing again , seems to be consistently .3 sec slower a lap than Lando...still makes me wonder if he will tame the McLaren....

Craig wrote:

I'm not sure about that first point Brutus. Looked like he came in way too late and deep, and Lewis had to take action not to turn into the apex and hit him. IE if Lewis did cut across he would have been t-boned.

Either way an incredible season and some insane races.

Cockee's picture
Cockee's picture
Cockee Wednesday, 15 Dec 2021 at 7:51pm

Yes, evo, I've watched and competed in many a race and nothing's changed - first across the finish line wins and those who don't can whinge all they like but it doesn't change the result. Do you see the footy/rugby GF result being altered because an umpiring decision was wrong? No, neither do I (exception being when player/car is disqualified post-event due to illegal mods eg Cosworth Sierras in '80's).

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Friday, 17 Dec 2021 at 4:35pm

Cockee where what and when did you compete in motor sport I may have raced against you
I must admit my moto always was not how you won as long as you won and when in doubt take them out.
Maybe I got soft and matured a little in old age. A good punch into Horners face would of helped old school.

Cockee's picture
Cockee's picture
Cockee Friday, 17 Dec 2021 at 7:12pm

Never raced cars but I was on the Little Aths circuit in my tender years and dominated the Timbuktu 50 yards for a week or 3.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Friday, 17 Dec 2021 at 9:33pm

Hey Cockee it would appear your name should be ignorant Cockhead

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Saturday, 18 Dec 2021 at 8:56am

evosurfer. Your name should be arrogant dickhead. Who the fuck are you, the ‘Alan Jones’ of Swellnet ? Give us all a break, especially Cockee, he or she can scribe want they want, just like you do. Car racing, now there’s a nuff nuff sport.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Saturday, 18 Dec 2021 at 3:30pm

Alfred I have extensive motorsport experience been involved with it all my life
but cant tolerate straight out bullshit like cockhead stated and now a little ignorant
worm like you pop up mouthing of like the local point bully crawl back in your worm hole
where you belong its got zero to do with you.

Cockee's picture
Cockee's picture
Cockee Saturday, 18 Dec 2021 at 7:45pm

A bit touchy aren't we evo? My name is not one to be made fun of thank-you very much. Next you'll be putting SH1T on Joe Root.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 18 Dec 2021 at 11:34pm

Not to mention Mike Oxswolen.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Sunday, 19 Dec 2021 at 7:19am
zenagain wrote:

Not to mention Mike Oxswolen.

I have an ol mate who's name is Richard Allcock.....yes we call him Dickie!!!

R00ney's picture
R00ney's picture
R00ney Sunday, 19 Dec 2021 at 10:04am

Ah yes... remembering back to the Newrybar school bus pickup.
Down Broken Head Rd, up to the shop then stop for Allcock and Nobles...

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 19 Dec 2021 at 10:11am

Ha ha ROOney, bet you got some mileage out of that.

You have to wonder about some parents though don't you Brute.

Not rude but I knew a girl named Pearl Harbor, seriously. And she farking hated her parents for it.

gragagan's picture
gragagan's picture
gragagan Sunday, 19 Dec 2021 at 11:43am

Knew an old fella named Michael Hunt (not the SN commenter). You had to call him Michael. If you addressed him as just Mike, jeez he'd get cranky. I'm assuming that that particular word wasn't in popular use back when he was born (90 or so years ago)?

campbell's picture
campbell's picture
campbell Sunday, 19 Dec 2021 at 12:29pm

Also Ophilia Dickie ( primary school classmate)and the great German Olympian Fanny Schmelling ....

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 19 Dec 2021 at 2:21pm

I went to school with a Craig Bates and everyone called him Master.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Sunday, 19 Dec 2021 at 2:36pm

Giggle giggle, would have been lots of that Zen

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 19 Dec 2021 at 2:56pm

And some Sea.

He had a girlfriend you know- Jenny.

Jenny Talia.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 19 Dec 2021 at 3:00pm

Never gets old.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Sunday, 19 Dec 2021 at 3:10pm

how about the Hodell familly in hawaii........the's Love hodell very good surfer, semi pro......has a sister and brother named Peace and Joy!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 19 Dec 2021 at 3:26pm

And their cousin Boutique;