Queensland's hard border with NSW to stay for 10 more weeks

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 24 Aug 2021 at 6:14pm

From ABC News:

"Queensland has confirmed that the hard border with New South Wales is likely to remain in place until at least the end of October, confirming the worst fears of businesses in the state's south."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-24/qld-border-to-remain-closed-until...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 4 Sep 2021 at 9:35am

"People like to bang on about building quarantine facilities but i cant find any info on other countries having built quarantine facilities during the pandemic and as i posted the other day NZ also found it unviable."

australia has an almost endless array of empty mining camps, medical facilities, army bases etc. that could have been repurposed way early into this pandemic, and should have been...

sadly, the government has bumbled from crisis to crisis, comfortable in the fact that their stop gap measure has families sponsoring their mates businesses...

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Saturday, 4 Sep 2021 at 9:49am

Working at home instead of the office crew were able to write off a percentage of the cost of their home on their tax, meaning a large return for all of them

I just thought the extra two weeks off work after the OS trip would be a bit prohibitive for many. Plenty of couples wasting 4 weeks between them, and families with kids taking more time away from their Maccas shifts. If it’s only for 6 months or so, and one trip, then I guess like you say you would be happy to concede it. But what if home quarantine stays for 3 or 4 years

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Saturday, 4 Sep 2021 at 10:01am

Add to that kids having to miss 2 weeks of school. The Christmas holidays will be the only time families can go away

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Saturday, 4 Sep 2021 at 10:16am

Quarantine, elimination, border controls and track and trace will become very outdated approaches (and will be realised as such even by the QLD and the WA Premiers) within months as Delta spreads. Delta is just too transmissible for those strategies to work well.

All it takes it is one match (and there are thousands of people moving in and out of even "locked down" locations) it is off like a grass fire.

The lock down heroes just don't want to be seen to pre-emptively flipping the switch and cop the blame for an outbreak. They want it to happen organically and mysteriously.

They will be seen as about as practical as trying to stop ALL mosquito bites in Australia forever.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 4 Sep 2021 at 10:27am

yep some demographics are killing it in these times... and it shows the shameless media bias of another kind that 'essential workers' get but a fleeting patronising mention here and there...

"But what if home quarantine stays for 3 or 4 years"

but what if hotel quarrantine stays for 3 or 4 years?

both scenarois are a very real possibility in oz

I know which one I prefer

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 4 Sep 2021 at 10:36am

I hope so frog...

this little game of pipedream chicken has become quite tedious

and so inpracticable some of the more fervent hold outs are looking rather silly (and rather power drunk desperate authoritarian too)

its gotta wind up soon

but wait...

another variant on the horizon....

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Saturday, 4 Sep 2021 at 10:50am

Being double vaxxed, I personally don’t think it’s reasonable having to home quarantine for two weeks after every holiday I take, to protect the hospital system from the unvaxxed, for the next how many years

Cause that’s what it is

Anyway hopefully it’s a short term strategy

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 4 Sep 2021 at 10:47am

If this is happening elsewhere then what happens if NSW does open its international border ? Be pretty fucked going to Indonesia and being fully vaccinated but testing positive and having to quarantine. https://www.timesofisrael.com/portugal-sweden-slap-covid-entry-ban-on-is...

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Saturday, 4 Sep 2021 at 11:08am

Yep. Never ending variants . Same as flu.
Heard talk of them combining cov n flu injections into one injection. As Scomo did say c would be treated in future the same way as flu. What is in that? Are we allowed to know? We can now know by law what ingredients are in packaged food ( which go in our bodies) so we should be able to know what goes in these concoctions that also go into our bodies . Intellectual property rights from current large pharmaceutical companies seem to hinder a lot of what we have a right to know of and govt are silenced by agreements.
Will free injections become a thing of past ? New flu injection cell based $40. Health cov passport app buy$ will it become ongoing$$? Flu/cov/app/ .. monthly subscriptions? Rewards ? Flybuys?eg “10 jabs =30 points” ? Discounts at bws and Bunnings? Free set of steak knives? Ha. Anti-virus software for your anti virus app??

Or stay at home in bed if choose for a few days and rest with some hot lemon and honey drinks and sleep.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 4 Sep 2021 at 11:45am

"Being double vaxxed, I personally don’t think it’s reasonable having to home quarantine for two weeks after every holiday I take, to protect the hospital system from the unvaxxed, for the next how many years

Cause that’s what it is"

ahhhh... but is it shoredump?

all the stuff coming out now suggests the vaccinated are just as contagious as the unvaccinated

look what's happened in israel...

sweden just banned all arrivals from the most vaccinated country in the world...

"Anyway hopefully it’s a short term strategy"

I admire your optimism, but this baby has just begun...

hence my pessimism... which isn't really pessimism... just a cry for some reasonable expectations... expectations, requirements, and solutions... where oz is at the absolute back of the line... and getting worse...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 4 Sep 2021 at 1:17pm
frog wrote:

Quarantine, elimination, border controls and track and trace will become very outdated approaches (and will be realised as such even by the QLD and the WA Premiers) within months as Delta spreads. Delta is just too transmissible for those strategies to work well.

All it takes it is one match (and there are thousands of people moving in and out of even "locked down" locations) it is off like a grass fire.

The lock down heroes just don't want to be seen to pre-emptively flipping the switch and cop the blame for an outbreak. They want it to happen organically and mysteriously.

They will be seen as about as practical as trying to stop ALL mosquito bites in Australia forever.

100% agree, said the same yesterday.

State leaders outside of NSW & Vic are in a hard position now, the best case scenario for them now is like you say "They want it to happen organically and mysteriously"

And not only that, they will still need to appear to want to eliminate it, but really its in their long term best interest if they don't.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Saturday, 4 Sep 2021 at 1:19pm

It doesn’t matter if you are contagious or not, I’m not getting an ambulance if I’m contagious but feel fine thanks to the vaccine am I?

wishiwasyounger's picture
wishiwasyounger Saturday, 4 Sep 2021 at 1:46pm
wishiwasyounger Saturday, 4 Sep 2021 at 1:57pm

"Scotty doesn’t give a fuck about you or your family, whether you all live or die. He just wants those borders open so he can claim victory over the virus, win the election and firehose the wage slave immigrants back into the Ponzi scheme before the reality of our busted economy hits home."

This is the most rational statement Blowin has made in a while......I am a ahpra registered health worker and am horrified re the let it rip scenario in nsw at moment.

wishiwasyounger Saturday, 4 Sep 2021 at 2:47pm
wishiwasyounger wrote:

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/nsw-rejects-queenslands-... typo DONT
blame your qld premier all the time!

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 8 Sep 2021 at 9:26am

I just dropped my daughter at daycare , receptionists said it looked like border bubble with Qld NSW would be reinstated on Saturday at 1.00 . I asked if she had more information and was told that they have heard this from 3 different sources from government . They are way understaffed as some teachers live in Qld and they can only operate with a certain amount of teachers . It’s ironic that the closest case to tweed is 100 klms away in Brisbane, the next closest is 600 klms south. Wait and see again I guess.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 9 Sep 2021 at 9:40am

Saturday 1.00am is the rumour for border bubble to be reinstated, it will be a huge relief to residents struggling with this . Hopefully the rumour is true . https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-09/hopes-the-tweed-lockdown-will-lif...

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 10 Sep 2021 at 11:17am

WOOHOO , border bubble is back .

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 10 Sep 2021 at 11:56am

Finally!

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 10 Sep 2021 at 12:11pm

@themalben , I haven’t seen the offical word from Qld yet , just watched the deputy nsw premier on live broadcast , I think he was not wanting to steal the limelight and trying to be as polite as possible to Qld . No date was spoken about or finer details of who can go back and forth.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 10 Sep 2021 at 12:14pm

Apparently just 'essential workers and students' for now.

Interesting to observe the definition of 'essential workers' being whittled back significantly over the last month or two, as Qld assigned persona non grata status to almost anyone without maroon license plates.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 10 Sep 2021 at 12:19pm

They need to include tradies as building has come to a standstill in this area , can’t work can’t pay tax or bills .

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 10 Sep 2021 at 12:33pm

Ok just came across this , some sanity returns . https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-10/qld-covid-palaszczuk-daily-briefi.... It's basically going back to that border bubble that we've had previously," she said.

From Monday, border bubble residents will be able to move freely for school, work that cannot be done from home, essential shopping, healthcare and to care for a vulnerable person.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 12 Sep 2021 at 1:24pm

43563936-0-D57-42-E1-BD78-FEBBDF73-BB75

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 15 Sep 2021 at 6:52pm
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 21 Sep 2021 at 11:03am

Here we go again , Tweed to Byron in lockdown from 5 pm today . All because someone flew from Sydney to Ballina and visited Tweed and Byron , The local labor member has been asking for northern rivers to be locked off from Sydney with a petition with over 20,000 signatures. Thanks glad bags

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 21 Sep 2021 at 11:01am

FFS.

Sprout's picture
Sprout's picture
Sprout Tuesday, 21 Sep 2021 at 12:12pm

"The Kingscliff Beach Hotel has been declared a close contact spot, Sunday 17, 4-9pm. Anyone who attended between those times is a close contact and must get tested and isolate for 14 days since they were there, regardless of the result."
"It's somebody who has travelled into the area with an appropriate permit and had actually had both a rapid antigen test and a PCR test. It's one of the problems, and we've talked about this before, rapid antigen tests have a certain degree of efficiency and they don't always show up and in this case it didn't. A PCR test then showed later that there was positive case, which is good. The person did what was needed, but again it's a balancing act as to how you deal with this, particularly when people go for work reasons."
"The Byron, Kempsey and Tweed LGAs will go back into lockdown from 5:00pm today after a COVID-19 case from Sydney was infectious in several communities on the NSW north coast. The lockdown will last for seven days."

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 21 Sep 2021 at 1:28pm

@sprout , any word on if the person was fully vaccinated ? A lot of people are pissed off in this region as stock of Pfizer was shifted to Sydney and some aren’t able to get bookings until November. I’ve seen doctors on social media urging people to reconsider and get the AZ . My wife was advised by her doctor due to age to get Pfizer and earliest booking I found was mid October in ocean shores , thankfully I have now found an opening in tweed and she gets vaccinated tomorrow . Queensland also allows people exemption to cross the border to get vaccinated , seems they have a better supply than northern nsw .

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 21 Sep 2021 at 1:47pm

Again…I’ll shut up for the rest of the week. My staff get full wages paid and can relax at home. Hopefully it is just for the week. Short and sharp and fingers crossed no community transmissions.

Sprout's picture
Sprout's picture
Sprout Tuesday, 21 Sep 2021 at 1:51pm

Hey mate, not sure sorry, the ABC News blog seems an ok source of latest information. Possibly more availability in your area shortly...
----------
More vaccines imminent for northern NSW

The Byron Mayor has asked for limits on people travelling in and out of their community and more testing before they arrive. Mr Hazzard assures them more protection is heading up there.

"There's a degree of hesitancy in the northern area but also some genuine concerns that the vaccine availability has not been what it could have been. And I think certainly we would like to see a lot more vaccine. We've been saying that to the federal government for many months.

"The good news is the vaccine will be coming and has arrived as I understand in most pharmacies that are going to take it, so there will be more availability of vaccines in that area and I would encourage people in the Tweed and Byron Bay and Kempsey and associated areas to go and get double vaccinations as soon as you humanly can."
----------

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Tuesday, 21 Sep 2021 at 4:33pm

Ahh Kingy pub. Another classic old watering hole belted to death by the family friendly yuppie stick.
The roll out of pfizer etc is lacking big time in many regional areas, including my LGA.. In my view ,Sydney is going to need time to allow regional NSW time to come up to speed before unleashing the masses into those areas , regardless of statewide targets being met. And don't blame the people of those areas for that. My argument here is only about access, not choice .

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Tuesday, 21 Sep 2021 at 8:11pm
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 21 Sep 2021 at 8:22pm

So she was fully vaccinated , it’s going to get ugly when fully vaccinated medical staff can’t go to work if testing positive .

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Tuesday, 21 Sep 2021 at 9:11pm

"So she was fully vaccinated , it’s going to get ugly when fully vaccinated medical staff can’t go to work if testing positive ."
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
sigh.
And do you really think medical staff can show up for work now if they test positive supafreak?
There's been a lot of really stupid comments on this thread, but I reckon you just may have won gold with that one.

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Tuesday, 21 Sep 2021 at 9:15pm

Even if they are full vaxxed then they probably shouldn’t go to work as they can still transmit the virus.
But the hospitals need to start using the rapid testing rather than telling all possible staff exposed to go home for 7 days.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 21 Sep 2021 at 9:33pm

"Again…I’ll shut up for the rest of the week..."

well thats a relief

convo iq just jumped significantly

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 21 Sep 2021 at 9:34pm
Vic Local wrote:

"So she was fully vaccinated , it’s going to get ugly when fully vaccinated medical staff can’t go to work if testing positive ."
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
sigh.
And do you really think medical staff can show up for work now if they test positive supafreak?
There's been a lot of really stupid comments on this thread, but I reckon you just may have won gold with that one.

The only stupid comments come from you vic local , medical staff won’t be allowed to work if testing positive which will put a bigger strain on a already under staffed system. You really should stop embarrassing yourself

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 21 Sep 2021 at 9:46pm

Have you wished anyone else gets covid and dies in a ditch today vic local ? You really are a nasty piece of work , damaged goods.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 21 Sep 2021 at 9:53pm

mensa would be monitoring for potential candidates if he left too...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 22 Sep 2021 at 6:48am

Could someone explain the notion behind vaccine passports if vaccinated catch Covid willy nilly and have to be tested everyday anyway? Exactly what is the difference between vaccinated and unvaccinated that will be policed by a digital ID which tracks your every move and without which it’s illegal to leave your house?

wallpaper's picture
wallpaper's picture
wallpaper Wednesday, 22 Sep 2021 at 7:03am

garbage in garbage out

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Friday, 24 Sep 2021 at 1:33pm

Qld Health Mass Vax'n'Breach final for NRL repeat breacherz.
3,000 tickets up for grabs for The Biggest Vax Breach

Brisbane NRL Vax Hubs (Are currently 73% more infectious than other Qld Hubs)
Newspapers- Front page these NRL Vax Breach Hub Hot Spots.
NRL tickets only available at Hot Spot Hubs...All must rush to crowd Hot Spots!
NRL Vax queues-1 metre sd (100% more infectious (vs) world 2m sd)
NRL Vax Hub Seating -1m sd (100% more infectious (vs) world 2m sd)

Pfizer Vax - (Week 1 incubation) 10% more infectious amongst 50,000 crowd
Biggest Breach Stadium - Qld Covid Central > 73x more infectious
Stadium is now operating at 100% capacity pushing for a Record Covid Crowd.

Free Train / Bus - 150cm sd - current Footy sardine cans are 1200% sd breach.
Bombay Express Rail Guards mandate the Hotter than all Hell Covid lap dancing

Arrive Hour/s Early
Stadium Vax Pop Ups...(50,000 x emergency scare as NRL fan ODs on NRL Vax).
Vax > DVT Risk (Doctors..."Never stay seated for more than 2 Hours!" Bummer!
Biggest Breach Stadium Seats ... 0.5m sd (WR infectious breach crowd claim

Qld Health just exampled how to breach all known Health orders in one go.

Health Minister : "NRL Biggest Breach was an instant success!"
"Great follow up on last week's record euthanasia hot shot queues!"
"No need to mandate the Vax as hesitants won't come near superspread Vaxerz!"

Hesitant Qldurrz 40ft sd pole now measures a mile from Qld NRL Health Clinics.
tbb apologizes to Oz for Qldurrz vax'n'breach sportz rortz pork barrel scoop.

Our Premier : "Why is everyone picking on Qldurrz!"
21st Sept Polls...
McGowan halos over the Baby Jesus Beatle...up another Gazillion %
Clive up 1% > Pauline up 2%
Grumpy Bully Libs & Bully mates Alp down 1% > Greens down 2%

Massive 7% swing away from our Top ranked Bullies to our hate filled Nasties.
MSM Vax bullies need a dose of kindness to rid the devil off their shoulderz.
Perhaps they could try tellin' the truth...just the once would restore order.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 24 Sep 2021 at 5:56pm

Justine Elliot MP said IT GETS WORSE

Yesterday we found out that Gladys Berejiklian and the Liberals and Nationals have shamefully given out 57,000 permits for people to travel to the regions to "inspect real estate" in JUST THE LAST MONTH.

But now, thanks to a Tweed Daily News investigation, we have just found out that a total of 182,000 people have been granted permits to travel to the regions for a host of reasons IN JUST THE LAST MONTH. The Liberals and Nationals are refusing to provide us with information on where these people went or why they gave out so many permits.

This is exactly why I've been leading calls for a ring of steel for months. My petition for a ring of steel to protect our community has more than 20,000 signatures. You can sign it here: https://forms.gle/zSTPvn2isEEUisZaA

The Liberals and Nationals' weak laws are placing lives, jobs and businesses at risk. I'm calling on Tweed Nationals MP Geoff Provest MP and North Coast Nationals MLC Ben Franklin to come clean and urgently tell us how many permits for travel were given out for each of our individual shires on the North Coast.

Our community will not forget this. https://www.facebook.com/100057813110068/posts/285465013390600/?d=n. At the moment 130,000 people are in lockdown due to 1 person not following the rules from these granted permits. Unfuckingbelievable

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 24 Sep 2021 at 8:26pm

It’s pretty damn funny reading all the comments after an article describing how Sydneysiders might not be allowed to visit regions with low rates of vaccination.

Up till recently we’ve been inundated with whining about how the vaccinated shouldn’t have to be made to share the same space as the unvaccinated, but suddenly the precious vaccine Nazis are furious that they’re not allowed to mingle amongst the filthy unvaccinated on their North coast holidays.

It seems that the threat of imminent plague death pales into comparison with the horror of being denied invading picturesque holiday spots.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Saturday, 25 Sep 2021 at 9:28am

Just passing on a message i got this morning from a friend of mine up on the Tweed.
She wrote.
"My mum had an mri yesterday after having seizures a day after the jab and they found a small mass on the right side of her brain which is causing the seizures. She now has to take anti seizure medication and can’t drive or work. She has to see a neurologist next week. Mum never had an health issues before getting this jab and now her whole life has changed. Love to know how people can say this thing is safe and for the best".

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Saturday, 25 Sep 2021 at 9:40am
bluediamond wrote:

Just passing on a message i got this morning from a friend of mine up on the Tweed.
She wrote.
"My mum had an mri yesterday after having seizures a day after the jab and they found a small mass on the right side of her brain which is causing the seizures. She now has to take anti seizure medication and can’t drive or work. She has to see a neurologist next week. Mum never had an health issues before getting this jab and now her whole life has changed. Love to know how people can say this thing is safe and for the best".

Nowhere does it say or have evidence to point towards the jab being responsible. My understanding is anything termed a mass, as opposed to a clot, develops over time. This could be coincidence and the seizures would have happened anyhow or the jab had some cause on the mass and thus she had seizures (the jab may have helped identified a mass and saved her life?)
Scary nonetheless.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 25 Sep 2021 at 10:18am
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:

She wrote.

Nowhere does it say or have evidence to point towards the jab being responsible. My understanding is anything termed a mass, as opposed to a clot, develops over time. This could be coincidence and the seizures would have happened anyhow or the jab had some cause on the mass and thus she had seizures (the jab may have helped identified a mass and saved her life?)
Scary nonetheless.

100% what i was thinking.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 25 Sep 2021 at 11:25am
Blowin wrote:

Could someone explain the notion behind vaccine passports if vaccinated catch Covid willy nilly and have to be tested everyday anyway? Exactly what is the difference between vaccinated and unvaccinated that will be policed by a digital ID which tracks your every move and without which it’s illegal to leave your house?

why would you worry , you vaccinated because ....?????