Queensland's hard border with NSW to stay for 10 more weeks

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 24 Aug 2021 at 6:14pm

From ABC News:

"Queensland has confirmed that the hard border with New South Wales is likely to remain in place until at least the end of October, confirming the worst fears of businesses in the state's south."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-24/qld-border-to-remain-closed-until...

wally's picture
wally's picture
wally Friday, 27 Aug 2021 at 7:09am
thermalben wrote:
wally wrote:

They say that a lot of people are moving to Qld to avoid the lockdowns. Somewhat ironically, some are arguing about the very same border controls that have made it desirable for them to head north.

Who are "they"?

I got that from the Qld Premier’s media statement

“Queensland is being loved to death.
We have been overwhelmed by new arrivals from interstate hotspots relocating to Queensland to escape lockdowns in New South Wales and Victoria.
While we have allowed genuine relocations for work and other purposes, it has overwhelmed our hotels and it has to be stopped at least for the next fortnight.”

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Friday, 27 Aug 2021 at 7:33am
freeride76 wrote:

Tweed River would be a natural geographic barrier.

Agreed but still only allows a small proportion of the Tweed shire to cross “the border” and vice versa. . One has to remember that all the small businesses in the Tweed shire actually rely on the holiday makers from SE QLD. Not from within NSW. Small business is currently starving to death in the Tweed shire and for what reason? No covid cases within 500+ days and they’re locked down for 4 weeks and possibly longer.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 27 Aug 2021 at 7:43am
wally wrote:

I got that from the Qld Premier’s media statement

“Queensland is being loved to death.
We have been overwhelmed by new arrivals from interstate hotspots relocating to Queensland to escape lockdowns in New South Wales and Victoria.
While we have allowed genuine relocations for work and other purposes, it has overwhelmed our hotels and it has to be stopped at least for the next fortnight.”

OK, thanks for the clarification. Doesn't really provide any quantifiable data though, other than a convenient soundbite for the news. Are these people moving permenantly, visiting temporarily for work or personal reasons, or just wanting to holiday?

Re: overwhelmed workplaces - I'm more concerned about our health system. My wife works at the Tweed Hospital, and the border restrictions are certainly having an impact on their operations.

mowgli's picture
mowgli's picture
mowgli Friday, 27 Aug 2021 at 12:49pm

"I'm fully supportive of most lock-down measures, but this particular issue seems to be more politically motivated than others. " - thermalben

Ok Ben but you still haven't explained what the political benefits for the QLD ALP are from the "politically motivated" bit? That's what I'm getting at. From what we've seen, there's nothing political about it from her side. QLD Police and QLD Health are the ones that asked for the border bubble to basically be totally shut down (and they confirmed that), and just for two weeks. It's clear that they've hit some point where the risks of a quarantine breach are too great to tolerate. Ok sure perhaps they've faffed it by not having a register of QLD Health employees for use at the border so they can just wave such people through.

It sounds like the Premier/govt who has been the most "politically motivated" the past 18 months has been Gladys/govt. IMO the results speak for themselves on that front.

As for the migration thing, it always takes a while for the data to catch up. Speaking with RE agents and people who work in councils across SEQ (namely Sunshine Coast, Moreton and GC, but even Scenic Rimjob), what I'm hearing is the property demand has exploded and a significant portion is being driven by people who are literally telling them that they are indeed fleeing Melb and Syd because, to paraphase the buyers, "QLD clearly has it's shit together and we were gonna move up some time in next decade anyway because our friends and fam have moved up recently too". That's the kind of (admittedly anecdotal) evidence that the official migration data cannot capture.

Tick's picture
Tick's picture
Tick Friday, 27 Aug 2021 at 2:14pm

Gladys on Qld/NSW border, "It is their (QLD gov) decision but as has been highlighted, the Northern Rivers and northern border communities in New South Wales haven't had any cases of Covid-19 for a long time."
I'm trying to keep up. Didn't she just lockdown Tweed folk for another two weeks? What was her reasoning?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 27 Aug 2021 at 2:18pm
mowgli wrote:

Ok Ben but you still haven't explained what the political benefits for the QLD ALP are from the "politically motivated" bit? That's what I'm getting at. From what we've seen, there's nothing political about it from her side.

There are political motivations both sides, but as I've said above, the main issue at the moment is in NSW. They won't budge re: relocating the checkpoint.

What will the Qld ALP gain from hard border closures? Well, WA's stringent border policies for the last 18 months resulted in a landslide state election... the voters rewarding the government for keeping them relatively Covid-free.

And I don't disagree with their approach either.

However, it is fortunate that Eucla has a population of only 53 (and Nullabor only 50), so there wasn't too many cross-border issues to deal with.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Friday, 27 Aug 2021 at 2:33pm

The Feds need to step in with the Army and put a border just south of Murbah and Mooball.
Then princess Anastasia has no reason to stop the tweed people getting on with their lives and if I lived there Id be hammering your local federal member to do just that until everything is sorted.

mowgli's picture
mowgli's picture
mowgli Friday, 27 Aug 2021 at 3:40pm

Yeah but we just had an election (Oct 2020), and QLD has legislated 4 year full terms, so the next is aaaaages away. So nothing political to gain for Anna. But yes I agree I think it's Gladys who has been playing games. Her and ScoMo & Co + Murdoch press were all over QLD last year in the lead up to the QLD election, and then that massively backfired on them. And even now QLD gets very little love from Commonwealth for having handled this very well compared to NSW and VIC (but of course it's Gladys who gets the now infamous "The woman that saved Australia" cover!)....

Anyway....it sounds like you were raging against QLD and claiming it was political, and my point is.....nothing political about it on this side of the border. We're all watching the Sydney Shitshow and the Melbourne Mayhem going "fuck that we don't want that here, I like my freedom!".... So maybe I've missed something but I think all of your rage should instead be directed at 100 William Street and 5 Adelaide Avenue and your fellow cornstalks and cockroaches...

We've all suffered through this in a myriad of ways...some before, some now, some nearly all of it, some more, some less. Personally, I'm on track to not have time with some of my immediate family overseas until we're well into 2022 with the way things are going, a cancelled wedding (looks like it's about to be twice since it's in the Hunter Valley), missed births, a funeral that had almost no attendees because people couldn't get there..... seems like it's been a shit run for everyone but mining magnates and tech tycoons. But, we should be careful what we wish for, because if you want to see the consequences of those wishes being granted one only need to look at the death toll and permanent health impacts in the UK and US etc. Seems to me a lot of people in Australia are forgetting that....

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 27 Aug 2021 at 4:21pm
mowgli wrote:

Anyway....it sounds like you were raging against QLD and claiming it was political, and my point is.....nothing political about it on this side of the border.

Raging against Qld? I just re-read my initial posts and can't quite see the link.

Anyway... some progress was apparently made this afternoon - but it's since been dashed by the NSW Govt (again). Read this article and tell me the issue ain't political!

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/think-about-that-berejiklia...

mowgli's picture
mowgli's picture
mowgli Friday, 27 Aug 2021 at 4:57pm

Sorry yeah "raging" was too strong. QLD doesn't forget, since the beginning of the pandemic it's been Gladys, Scott and Greg (and NewsCorp) making it political.... the proof was in the pudding that showed how little they attacked other jurisdictions following the same strategy as QLD (WA, TAS, NT, SA, ACT...a mix of left and right governments to boot)

Ahhh wet-hot-mess-Gladys... it makes sense they don't want the QLD-ALP to look any better than they already do, given performance is what matters and QLD-ALP probably an A-, whereas NSW was probably a solid B until 3 months ago... they know by now the electorate are indeed largely voting based on performance (State elections bare this out). Don't forget, Anna just got us the 2032 olympics and all the cash that goes with upgrading a shitload of infrastructure in the lead up (helloooooo high speed rail thank fuckfully).... The Liberals know federal elections are largely won and lost in QLD (as goes Ohio, so goes the Nation), and right now they're panicking that the Federal election next year will follow the State election trend (definitely not always the case though, given ALP dominance in QLD for last 30 years and lackthereof at Federal). I think they're so worried about strengthening Labor's hand in QLD they're starting to act really bizarrely and childish, and we can all see this as they're willing to push back against good ideas like the dedicated quarantine hub and a QLD-managed border deep inside NSW simply because it was QLD-ALP that came up with it (hahahah fuck, can you imagine going back in time to 1901 and telling them such an idea is being canvassed).

QLD want the border there so we can stop all the sydney spreaders infecting the northern rivers... and then we can let ya'll in no dramas. I mean fuck it, it's got my vote 100%. Shit, let's just permanently move the border to the Richmond or the Clarence and be done with it. Must be an economic study somewhere that shows an economic gravity border (i.e. cut-off where the NSW LGA's rely economically more so on QLD than further south).

Images like this can't be helping the nerves of the NSW and Federal Liberal party! https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-27/queensland-covid-19-no-new-cases-...

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 27 Aug 2021 at 5:21pm
mowgli wrote:

QLD doesn't forget, since the beginning of the pandemic it's been Gladys, Scott and Greg (and NewsCorp) making it political....

Yep, agree completely.

Hopefully they sort this out soon, local businesses are hurting.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 27 Aug 2021 at 5:33pm

@ mowgli

Um hello Dicator Dan says hello don't forget me.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 29 Aug 2021 at 5:07pm

I’m glad this Sunday wasn’t a repeat of last weekend , this protesting shit doesn’t help but being a border resident I fully understand the frustration and unwarranted hardship people are facing . Looking deeper at those that organise these protests and many would be shocked,this article isn’t about that https://www.couriermail.com.au/truecrimeaustralia/police-courts-qld/sydn...

mugofsunshine's picture
mugofsunshine's picture
mugofsunshine Sunday, 29 Aug 2021 at 6:52pm

Taking politics out of the frame.. Why wouldn't you take the containment fight to the frontline? If LGA's had any clout they would surely police their own borders? The whole 'it's creeping North' rhetoric clearly isn't happening but even if it were why not contain it instead of letting it creep?

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 29 Aug 2021 at 7:00pm

Cool Camp for Stoner Quarantine
Scomo denies Quarantine Airport + Qld Premier goes it alone...( MSM are so full of shit! )
Bullshit & Bullshit as Feds are Fast Tracking Qld Major Project Status Wellcamp Quarantine.
Qld Govt have a lease on the Site & Qld Uni are partners.
Toowoomba Mayor : No one Told me...(That much is True!)

Aug -Work starts on both Cannabis / Quarantine facility on exact same day & minute ...but how!
Xmas - The first 500 Quarantine Camps are for Site Workers building next 1,000 camps.
Qld { Gold Card } Will likely Self Isolate at a Disco + Hesitants will mop up Covid at Hot Hotels...

2022- Site workers also build the Glasshouses & Bio Security Quarters for Import Plants & Production.
Once ticked off the Feds rubber stamp International Airport for Bio Security fauna + Mutant Quarantine.

April - Tradies vacate Wellcamp Quarantine.
From now on the Fed / State approved Medical Facility is strictly Vax only for World Medical Security.

Recap - (Oct 2020) Qld legislated on Farm Quarantine Work Force.

1,000 Vaxed Drug Mules import Bio Crop seedlings social distanced on 3x Planes / day.
(Pause!) tbb can share this unusually strict Bio Secure Medical Pot Plant Quarantine procedure.
https://www.cannabisbusinesstimes.com/article/how-to-set-up-a-proper-can...

The 350 Uni Stoners prepare Bio secure Medicinal seedlings for 1,000 Cultivators > 20,000 plants /day.
Crew can read that each Pot Plant / Mutant partner must occupy same Quarantine Quarters.
No matter what...Qld Govt needed #1 World largest Quarantine Facility for Pot Plants = Handlers.

#1"Working Model" Quarantine Facility...Qld are well advanced with this year old Working Model.

Billed as #1 World largest Export Cannabis Production Facility.
As such will need to import largest widest seed / plant sources to supply world market.
Post Vax...each medicine must secure scripts to each National Health program...No cross contamination.
Qld Govt employ 300 (Ongoing) Qld Uni Staff at world's largest #1 Quality Control Quarantine facility.
Requires 800 Pickers/day for 20,000 plants...that leaves 400 spots for Pickerz on future Inland Rail
Yes! Single / Double / Family options all with own outdoors + (3,000 meals day) No Hallways!

As Facility is up & running the Quarters will thin out for Seasonal Regional Pickers...
Once Inland Rail Hub hooks in... Wellcamp Quarantines all Mutant Pickers to feed Farmer's Main Line.
Recap : 3 flights of Season Pickers...Quarantine > Interstate Farms lease "Mutant Cabooses"
You fly in a custom Load of Backpackerz & rail them to Fox HQ Bio security screening at Parkes.

June 2022 Fed Govt Acacia Ridge 1,000 Beds. (Port o' Bne)
Supplies Mutants for Corrigan's end of line Port Quarantine Slave packerz.
Scomo's Acacia Ridge Mutant Quarantine supplies Mutant Dishwashers / Aged Care / Cleaners etc...

2 Mutant Portholes
1. Qld Govt Pot Farm > Inland line > Fox Bio Slaves at Parkes Oz central Dream Logistics Slave centre.
2. Fed slaves & Students / Corrigan's Port slaves Logistics Centre.

That be why our Qld Premier is hellbent on Wellcamp Quarantine!
Yes! Scomo has rubber stamped the World's biggest Drug Den.
Hot Tip! Nationals are now Hellbent on detouring the Rail line away from Wellcamp's evil Pot Plants.
Nope! Not goin' there....Nat's have no idea as to why or where...so what more can tbb say? ( Election! )

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 29 Aug 2021 at 7:51pm

@mugo , the way the police handled the protest last week was actually pretty good . They realised they were out numbered so let them cross the border and do a lap of Coolangatta. Not too much harm done and no rubber bullets fired . Business in Coolangatta rely on tweed residents as much as those on Qld side plus many Qld people work south of the border . I know I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know. In my thinking , while restrictions are on down here why not take a peaceful protest, by Gold Coast residents affected by the border bubble being closed , to the premier’s door step and let her know how queenslanders from this area feel about her harsh decision. It would make a bigger impact and possibly wake some people up to the fact that a huge amount of people from queensland also use tweed hospital . The two premiers need to stop this “ catfight “ bullshit and think of the people involved .

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Sunday, 29 Aug 2021 at 8:42pm

Ha!! Tbb you’ve done it again! Love it

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 29 Aug 2021 at 11:33pm

Cheers saltyone best keep that quiet...how could anyone take tbb's misinformation seriously.
Supafreak / mugo' read tbb's mind as well...gettin' onto that now.

These slippery Cross border aerial breach displays were fast running outta sky.
Do we clip their wings & bring them back down to Earth...Who is behind it all?

First up Last night Qld Police mounted a response... to reopened Border park raceway.
2nd Sydney sent up the Riot Squad...to start a riot..can only guess?
Note More Cops (200) (vs) Protesters (100)
Qld wants to River Dance & NSW are blowin' Bubbles...

Is this a Borderline Aerial Assault or just regular Covid Dusting over protesters?
Note GC Airport can't breach Lockdowns NSW / Vic (etc...)

Easter 2020 Recall Hillsong infected all Oz Capitals & Goldie with essential Sky graffiti...
https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/ecea762481510900da7b4a5be0b353be

11 June 2020 Campbell Newman goes spazz on lockdowns.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/national/qld-lnp-should-be-waving-pl...

Followed by these relentless dorky Sky Ads...that weren't Marriage Proposals...just Plane Weird.
tbb is outing the Liberal Democrat Airline that TV / Media cross promote.
Kinda like Lib Networking from Cafe > Local Member > Teary Piece > News > Protest > Sky Writer
Libs are facilitating & Packaging the Breach Protests for ABC / Bully / TV...

(Less so protester driven!)
Check this out...Free citizens of Kassel (129) Promos > all Oz Rally Posters the same.(Tweed too!)
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/jul/27/who-behind-austra...
ABC Question Everything ( Medium level Ham Cringe) E2 [4:00-15:00] Stay with it...some laughs!
https://iview.abc.net.au/video/LE2034H002S00

ABC/Media will first run a Heartstrings Puff piece then run the AD Banner. (Breach Ad package)
Always perfectly framed...like a dorky VIP Lib Protest...Has a right wing bent but hard to pick up!
eg: You can excuse the ABC Heartstrings story as a Local piece but a breach with the AD Package!
https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/d99335b662d5a2756076651da83e6a03

Lib Democrats run ALP Hate Mail over the Skies of Brizzie / Sunny / Cooly-Tweed.
https://sky-ads.com.au/2020/09/protest-aeroplane/

29th Aug Qld Liberal Democrats Campbell Newman breaches GCA runway border.
Clive is pulling the strings on his Puppet Newman... all know it! Campbell's live Promo with it.
https://twitter.com/campbellnewman

This VIP Breach Gallery is 100% Pandemic Politicization Profiteering (No Warnings or Fines)
Liberals Brand border breach instructions to stir up the crowd to endanger NSW/Qld Police.
Note 100 protesters can't afford this Sky Banner...It's Clive & Lib Democrats breach advertising.
https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/450768c27e1b54163e5252565a081a21
https://live-production.wcms.abc-cdn.net.au/566f7d6c59a43b26f2927f4b0f26...
https://i1.wp.com/i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/08/29/05/47225621-9936933-im...

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Monday, 30 Aug 2021 at 11:42am

Hmm very interesting.
Dropping the grenade to fuel the fire.
echoes 9/11// blm last yr in us riots//
Political tirades.
Beef up ammunition for more authoritarianism.
What kind of precedent does that set for future democracy and citizens rights to protest on other issues that the govt may not agree with?
White horse guy ( apparently hollywood stuntman?) .fined $7k. Flying solo or did money go to more air banners?

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Tuesday, 31 Aug 2021 at 11:52am

'Hard' border, unless, except for the NRL ... again.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-31/queensland-nrl-players-hotel-quar...

No wonder so many average joe types are getting pissed off. I can see the civil unrest building.

So many small businesses around Northern NSW, Tweed Coast, Tweed, Cooly etc doing it tough. Lot's of tradies not able to work in Qld as they are still not 'essential' per Qld 'rules', but, it's OK for the NRL families to fly in?

FMD.

Ronson's picture
Ronson's picture
Ronson Tuesday, 31 Aug 2021 at 12:51pm

that's just so they can bash their missus in the bubble, it's better that way.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 31 Aug 2021 at 4:16pm
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 31 Aug 2021 at 6:48pm
Supafreak wrote:

It’s really beyond a joke . https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-31/nsw-qld-covid-borders-put-tweed-s...

It is a bit stupid to keep the border closed.

Last lockdown my wife's surgeon could not enter QLD to do surgery at John Flynn…however, all his patients could go over the border into NSW to visit him…kind of dumb.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 31 Aug 2021 at 7:12pm
Roadkill wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

It’s really beyond a joke . https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-31/nsw-qld-covid-borders-put-tweed-s...

It is a bit stupid to keep the border closed to those that work overthe border. The border bubble worked just fine previously.

Last lockdown my wife's surgeon could not enter QLD to do surgery at John Flynn…however, all his patients could go over the border into NSW to visit him…kind of dumb.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 1 Sep 2021 at 10:18am

"Tough state border restrictions will remain after the Queensland and New South Wales governments failed to agree on any changes in talks yesterday, with restrictions likely to be reviewed on September 10."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-01/qld-nsw-border-talks-heavy-handed...

mowgli's picture
mowgli's picture
mowgli Wednesday, 1 Sep 2021 at 4:54pm

Seems like everyone reckons their need to cross the border (or have others cross the border) is essential.

Though these anecdotes about healthcare workers not being able to cross is quite astounding. One would think a simple spreadsheet from QLD Health that shows only the name, mobile number, and home address of any staff that live in NSW being shared with QPS would be super easy, and barely an inconvenience. Hell, the healthcare worker trying to cross the border could even present their most recent payslip for additional evidence.

The question facing the QLD government isn't if there are cases in Northern Rivers right now, it's if Delta cases were to get in, how soon would we know and how does that increase the probability of them getting across the border? Some of the comments on here (and elsewhere) suggest people are oblivious to the rationale behind the decision (as well as giving the hotel quarantine system some breathing space). We can see the cumulative land area of all LGAs in NSW with issues is significant. We've also seen that because of the infectiousness of the Delta strain, cases begin to grow before authorities are even aware it's there. So if you were the QLD govt, which do you think hurts more - stopping a relatively small number of people (relative to entire State pop) being able to cross the border, or letting the virus get in and start spreading in SEQ (4M pop?) before they even find out about it, potentially going right across the state given the free movement of people in QLD? Anyone who says the answer is easy is full of shit.

It's a shit situation, no doubt. Perhaps the only people who wouldn't want it to end are the GBR ecologists who've seen areas of the reef get better on account of not being trampled on by every goose tourist..

mowgli's picture
mowgli's picture
mowgli Wednesday, 1 Sep 2021 at 4:56pm

Also, anyone seen Barilaro actually explain why he shat all over the idea to vehemently? Lismore Hospital isn't THAT far, and surely exceptions can be made for emergencies in need of the closest hospital (Tweed)? Or is it all hot air and smoke and mirrors because again, QLD Labor had a good idea and if NSW accepts it it means it's another piece of evidence they (NSW) have no clue.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 2 Sep 2021 at 10:54pm

53-F18-B23-0931-4-DE9-96-DD-607-BB0-F543-BC

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 3 Sep 2021 at 6:48am
mowgli wrote:

The question facing the QLD government isn't if there are cases in Northern Rivers right now, it's if Delta cases were to get in, how soon would we know and how does that increase the probability of them getting across the border?

But... travel throughout NSW is very limited at the moment, due to lockdown. And there's been no locally transmitted Covid-19 cases in the Tweed Shire for *checks notes* 534 days.

To be honest, I reckon that if the border bubble were to re-open, there's probably a slightly higher risk of someone in Northern NSW travelling to SE Qld, catching Covid-19 and bringing it back over the border into NSW (Gold Coast LGA has had 70 locally transmitted cases, Tweed Shire LGA has had 1).

There's got to be a more practical balance of risk. The Qld/NSW border region is unique unlike any other part of the country, and though certainly not perfect, the previous bubble worked reasonably well. I just don't see why it can't be reintroduced.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 3 Sep 2021 at 1:52pm

5460-C756-FFD5-41-AF-A110-827-E9-BC9296-D

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 3 Sep 2021 at 4:26pm

Looks like I'll be able to travel OS before I can cross the border into SE Qld.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Friday, 3 Sep 2021 at 4:31pm

She seems to have some secret agenda otherwise the bubble would be back long ago.
Perhaps her Chinese friends would like to buy Coolangatta cheap.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 3 Sep 2021 at 5:41pm
thermalben wrote:

https://twitter.com/9NewsAUS/status/1433650110467125262

see... he ain't all bad...

bring it on!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 3 Sep 2021 at 6:28pm

Scotty doesn’t give a fuck about you or your family, whether you all live or die. He just wants those borders open so he can claim victory over the virus, win the election and firehose the wage slave immigrants back into the Ponzi scheme before the reality of our busted economy hits home.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 3 Sep 2021 at 6:57pm
thermalben wrote:

https://twitter.com/9NewsAUS/status/1433650110467125262

Thank God im in Victoria, it's not just vaccination rates, the states that now try to keep Covid out are on a road to nowhere, it's not realistic for them to open International borders even state borders and still try to keep Covid out.

Their state leaders are now in a hard position, on one hand they want to appear to be protecting their people from Covid hence keep borders shut, and if they open borders many will blame them for opening borders especially when Civid comes to town.

But on the flip side, their people are also going to get pissed off not being able to travel not just interstate but if other states intentional borders open and they cant travel internationally either..

Best case scenario is almost to have a quarantine leak and Covid to get out and appear to want to control it, but really just let it get out of control.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 3 Sep 2021 at 7:14pm

it's pretty much unworkable

I'll believe it when I see it...

I think morrison just made a promise he cannot possibly keep

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 3 Sep 2021 at 7:19pm
sypkan wrote:

it's pretty much unworkable

I'll believe it when I see it...

I think morrison just made a promise he cannot possibly keep

My thoughts exactly , a few promises here and there , best thing pollies do , doesn’t mean they have to stick to what they say , always the old “ the parameters have changed “ excuse to fall back on .

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Friday, 3 Sep 2021 at 7:37pm

Hold the floodgates...
It’ll be well controlled with the *

* home quarantine

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Friday, 3 Sep 2021 at 8:43pm

“Looks like I'll be able to travel OS before I can cross the border into SE Qld.”

Every government politician that fronts the media will be repeating that line ad nauseum if the border isn’t opened

Thanks for the link to Professor Doherty.

“Both the health and the political cost of opening up will be massively reduced if we have good treatments. That will also take enormous pressure off our HCWs. Any drug or monoclonal will be much cheaper than hospitalization. Why are we so slow?

If we have good treatments but not enough of them, it would obviously be appropriate to direct them to areas of need. Currently, that's NSW and Victoria. If treatments that work are limited, it would be insane to open up states that have no COVID until that situation is rectified”

mowgli's picture
mowgli's picture
mowgli Friday, 3 Sep 2021 at 8:44pm
Blowin wrote:

Scotty doesn’t give a fuck about you or your family, whether you all live or die. He just wants those borders open so he can claim victory over the virus, win the election and firehose the wage slave immigrants back into the Ponzi scheme before the reality of our busted economy hits home.

This guy gets it.

The past 18 months, after a few weeks of copping it, Morrison or Hunt will pop up with "hey good news everybody!" announcement that's virtually meaningless. For example "a bubble with Singapore is already being discussed". That statement from Hunt, was a looooooooooooooong time ago. Nothing he said is factually incorrect. He probably just left out it was being discussed at the urinals by himself, his chief assistant and Frydenberg... "Mate, we need to feed the chooks a good news story to settle 'em down; even the Daily Telegraph is giving us grief!"

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 3 Sep 2021 at 10:13pm

"Hold the floodgates...

* home quarantine"

some of us actually cannot wait for this...

we'll even sign up to stephen marshall's wuhan surveillance state app ...willingly...

hotel quarrantine is the biggest joke stop gap measure implemented ever ...still going after 18 months...

if high density germany can successfully do a home d. quarrantine system, with germans flying all over the place for months and months now, surely australia can do it with an already established model to copy

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Saturday, 4 Sep 2021 at 12:12am

"Nobody from NSW is going anywhere.". apparently

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Saturday, 4 Sep 2021 at 7:50am

That’s hilarious TS

“some of us actually cannot wait for this...”

Yeah it’s another big win for the work from home squad. Sadly this isn’t me.

Maybe you can use your big tax returns to fund all the travel.
What a feedback loop

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 4 Sep 2021 at 8:03am
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 4 Sep 2021 at 8:33am
sypkan wrote:

"Hold the floodgates...

* home quarantine"

some of us actually cannot wait for this...

we'll even sign up to stephen marshall's wuhan surveillance state app ...willingly...

hotel quarrantine is the biggest joke stop gap measure implemented ever ...still going after 18 months...

if high density germany can successfully do a home d. quarrantine system, with germans flying all over the place for months and months now, surely australia can do it with an already established model to copy

100% id dream of home quarantine if it allowed me to go back to Indo.

Home quarantine isn't perfect but moving forward realistically for large numbers of people its the only half realistic system, if you still want to have some type of system, why not just combine it with swab test, they aren't perfect but if get a positive result they could then do a proper test and make those positive hotel quarantine until test results come back.

Home quarantine has been used in Germany but also other places like Canada & Poland and i think South Korea (although both Canada and south Korea have also used Hotel quarantine)

People like to bag hotel quarantine, but really for the most part its been pretty successful in keeping Covid under control (until now) it's done its job for the most part and it would have helped lots of business, we were one of the first to use it but many countries have or are using it, NZ, Canada, UK, Ireland, Israel, Qatar, Cypruss, Singapore, Taiwan, China,South Korea, India, Indonesia, Phillipines

People like to bang on about building quarantine facilities but i cant find any info on other countries having built quarantine facilities during the pandemic and as i posted the other day NZ also found it unviable.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 4 Sep 2021 at 8:35am
thermalben wrote:

To be honest, I reckon that if the border bubble were to re-open, there's probably a slightly higher risk of someone in Northern NSW travelling to SE Qld, catching Covid-19 and bringing it back over the border into NSW (Gold Coast LGA has had 70 locally transmitted cases, Tweed Shire LGA has had 1).

To wit:

ABC News, 3rd September wrote:

New Queensland contact tracing locations in Logan after girl, 4, tests positive.

Concerns were first raised when a 46-year-old Logan truck driver tested positive to COVID during routine screening. His infection announced on Thursday. Late yesterday Queensland Health said a four-year-old girl, who's a close contact, also has the virus."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-04/covid-live-blog-nsw-press-confere...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 4 Sep 2021 at 8:40am

Personally i don't get why some countries are still using some type of quarantine though, like take Indonesia they still have borders closed and are using hotel quarantine.

But really what's the point?....Indonesia has had Covid running rampant most people on the main islands would have been exposed to it.

It's kind of pointless keeping Covid out when you are overrun by it, and if you ensure everyone arriving has been fully vaccinated even if they get Covid the likelihood of them being hospitalised and putting added pressure on the hospital system is pretty much close to zero.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 4 Sep 2021 at 9:06am

"Yeah it’s another big win for the work from home squad. Sadly this isn’t me.

Maybe you can use your big tax returns to fund all the travel.
What a feedback loop"

sadly it's not me either... what big tax return?

some people just want to be able to come home, ...and not have to sponsor the 4 -5 star hotel system, and not get locked up like a criminal indoors for all our trouble...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 4 Sep 2021 at 9:10am

"Home quarantine has been used in Germany but also other places like Canada & Poland and i think South Korea (although both Canada and south Korea have also used Hotel quarantine)"

any sensible country woulx use it

any sensible country that's not caught up in a pipedream / fear combination, and doesn't expect familys to pay for the survival of the big end global hotel chain network....

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 4 Sep 2021 at 9:25am

"Personally i don't get why some countries are still using some type of quarantine though, like take Indonesia they still have borders closed and are using hotel quarantine.

But really what's the point?....Indonesia has had Covid running rampant most people on the main islands would have been exposed to it.

It's kind of pointless keeping Covid out when you are overrun by it, and if you ensure everyone arriving has been fully vaccinated even if they get Covid the likelihood of them being hospitalised and putting added pressure on the hospital system is pretty much close to zero."

it gives them a sense of power, and allows them to blame bule for everything, which is customary...

to be fair, they did introduce it when the uk strain was rampant and they managed to keep that out for a little while

but indonesia's systems are so leaky (corrupt) other variants were let through the back door anyway, with euros and indians paying to avoid quarrantine

sadly, indo and the like largely just copy western more developed countries through this pandemic. with unsuitable remedies for their situation implemented that enrich the big end of town, but do little to protect the majority, ...which is why I get so pissed with some morons on here shutting down any and all conversations that don't fit the accepted, hyper-curated, narrative...

that hotel quarrantine system is keeping some big jakarta fat cats pleasantly gemuk... and like australia, the 'bureacratic inertia' will ensure it stays in place well past its use by date....