Latest on wetsuits.....

kooklife's picture
kooklife started the topic in Wednesday, 14 Apr 2021 at 5:12am

So its that time of the year again where the mornings are getting fresher and the offshores are starting to show. It looks like its been a couple of years since there was a discussion about it so I am looking for wetsuit recommendations.....

Whats everyone wearing/buying or not wearing/buying and why?

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Thursday, 8 Sep 2022 at 10:24am
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 8 Sep 2022 at 12:24pm
donweather wrote:

Brilliant sustainability from Ripcurl.

https://www.ripcurl.com/au/explore/recycle-your-wetsuit.html?utm_source=...

Wow, that’s an excellent move

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 8 Sep 2022 at 12:52pm

yeah, I was hoping there might be a little cash-back deal.

asking too much.

My 2020 Dawn Patrol is just about cactus.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Thursday, 8 Sep 2022 at 12:58pm

Its a good thing, I have looking for ages to find somewhere that will do this.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 8 Sep 2022 at 1:34pm

Agreed, a little cash sweetner or a voucher for ?% off your next suit would give it a bit more traction imo.

Still, a great initiative.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Thursday, 8 Sep 2022 at 2:09pm

Sorry why would ripcurl give away sweeteners for this? It’s costing them money as it is for return postage.

Surely the benefit to the environment is the sweetener here for all of us? What else am I missing here?

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 8 Sep 2022 at 2:58pm

Same scheme operates out of Coles and Woolworths supermarkets with clean soft plastic. Drop off bins are prominently located out the front.

What with the two compost bins in our garden and recycling bin (council) we could probably go 6 plus months before we would need to use the council’s hard rubbish bin and even then it would be 1/2 empty.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Thursday, 8 Sep 2022 at 4:32pm

Redcycle for soft plastics do good work. Terracycle (Ripcurl partners with this) have been around a while but haven't had the "shop front" presence. I'd be happy to pay a nominal amount to stop it all ending up in landfill.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 8 Sep 2022 at 4:38pm
donweather wrote:

Sorry why would ripcurl give away sweeteners for this? It’s costing them money as it is for return postage.

Surely the benefit to the environment is the sweetener here for all of us? What else am I missing here?

Those wetties need to be replaced irrespective of the cost of posting them back to RC. If they can get the sender back into a Ripcurl suit rather than a competitor then it's more than worth it for them.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Thursday, 8 Sep 2022 at 5:03pm

I'd just feel better about it if they could assure me that my beloved suit, which served me so well, doesn't get recycled into a yoga mat for SUP riders.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 8 Sep 2022 at 6:26pm

Thats what I reckon Zen.

I'm brand agnostic but if Rip Curl gave me a %-off when I recycled the suit I'd be a customer for life.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Saturday, 17 Sep 2022 at 7:03pm

Udo buyer beware of Coastlines wetsuits....recently bought a 3-2 premium and a 4-3 premium .......both have torn in the neck seal and the 4-3 hadnt even been tried on...sent it back but still havent heard anything...would have sent the 3-2 back cause it had gone in the same spot...shit rubber.....but i had already cut the arms back so i couldnt......looking at that photo above and looks like the one the model is wearing is tearing in the same spot....rubbish

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 17 Sep 2022 at 7:29pm

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Sunday, 18 Sep 2022 at 6:31am

Be careful what you put your name to rabs

R00ney's picture
R00ney's picture
R00ney Sunday, 18 Sep 2022 at 10:36am

Grabbed a Project Blank 3/2 steamer on special recently as a backup to the other backups. I think it was $170 or so delivered, internal taping, recycled lining?
Had a few go outs in 12-13C water (northern Tas).
Pretty impressed at how toasty it is, no leaks although I did get a flush getting under a set the other day.
Build quality seems on par with Needs which I have never had any issues with.
Neoprene seems pretty light compared to the Needs equivalent. Dunno how it'll fare in the longevity stakes, time will tell.
Check their size chart if you're going there. I went a size up on Needs.
I'll grab one of their LS yulex springys if the price is right ...backup for backup.
Can't fault for the price.

old-dog's picture
old-dog's picture
old-dog Sunday, 18 Sep 2022 at 10:54am

With those coastlines wetties not one shot of the internal lining. I reckon you get what you pay for.

Alana_a's picture
Alana_a's picture
Alana_a Sunday, 18 Sep 2022 at 11:23am
simba wrote:

Udo buyer beware of Coastlines wetsuits....recently bought a 3-2 premium and a 4-3 premium .......both have torn in the neck seal and the 4-3 hadnt even been tried on...sent it back but still havent heard anything...would have sent the 3-2 back cause it had gone in the same spot...shit rubber.....but i had already cut the arms back so i couldnt......looking at that photo above and looks like the one the model is wearing is tearing in the same spot....rubbish

I can not believe no one picked up on that tear. Oh my.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 18 Sep 2022 at 8:46pm

How embarrassing for Bugs, looks like a used car salesman.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 19 Sep 2022 at 7:13am
poo-man's picture
poo-man's picture
poo-man Monday, 19 Sep 2022 at 4:01pm

Pretty sure Stu Hawkins started Coastlines back in the 80s in Mount Maunganui in NZ. A fair bit of rubbish in that article

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 19 Sep 2022 at 4:30pm

You thinking of Bodyline wetsuits ?

poo-man's picture
poo-man's picture
poo-man Monday, 19 Sep 2022 at 5:03pm

Na not them. But they came from the Mount too. Stu's son works at Rip Curl these days

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 13 Jun 2023 at 11:29am

Looking at a second hand Patagonia R1 steamer.
85% Yulex, 15% synthetic rubber.
What was the final word on warmth vs flexibility vs durability??

$200

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Tuesday, 13 Jun 2023 at 12:54pm

Yulex is fine for warmth. Flexibility is good enough for me. Durability so far is on par with limestone neo.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 13 Jun 2023 at 1:06pm

Thanks Blackers, appreciate it.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 13 Jun 2023 at 2:33pm
AndyM wrote:

Looking at a second hand Patagonia R1 steamer.
85% Yulex, 15% synthetic rubber.
What was the final word on warmth vs flexibility vs durability??

$200

Just beware, Yulex ain't Yulex.

First generation Yulex was made from the Guayule plant (hence the name) and was fairly stiff. I wouldn't recommend buying any suit using that iteration of Yulex.

Second generation Yulex retained the name yet was made from hevea rubber. It's still all natural but the stretch and warmth properties exceed guayule.

Not exactly sure when Pata changed over to second gen Yulex. 2018? 2019?

They don't differentiate the source of Yulex in their materials list so as long as it isn't older than that you're good. Second gen Yulex is unreal; every bit as good as neoprene.

geek's picture
geek's picture
geek Tuesday, 13 Jun 2023 at 3:37pm
blackers wrote:

Yulex is fine for warmth. Flexibility is good enough for me. Durability so far is on par with limestone neo.

My thoughts too, my 3x2 has been fine. The seams leak a bit more than my 4x3 Need but its my summer Vicco suit so doesn't worry me.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 13 Jun 2023 at 6:51pm

Thanks guys.
I’ll certainly pin down a date of manufacture.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 10:16am
basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 10:24am

haha^^ ..awesome..

R00ney's picture
R00ney's picture
R00ney Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 12:22pm
udo wrote:

OMFG
https://www.funkysealwetsuit.com/mens-wetsuits

Holy fn sh*tballs

GONAD_MAN's picture
GONAD_MAN's picture
GONAD_MAN Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 12:49pm

Lol. You will have every sea snake try to hump your leg.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 1:32pm
eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 2:06pm

Whale oil beef hooked !

I’ve already ordered the pink hibiscus one lol

dbut's picture
dbut's picture
dbut Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 9:34pm

quiksilver highline 4/3, easily best wettie ive ever had

MarioM's picture
MarioM's picture
MarioM Thursday, 13 Jul 2023 at 3:10pm

Will be time to buy new steamers soon . I`m considering Isurus , most likely an evade , but those of you that own an Isurus did you just go off your normal size in whatever brand you had or did you have to guess from their chart ? Before you say contact them I have done that but no response back . Its been a few days but I`ll give them a week or so since I`m in no rush . Also considering an Xcel drylock x .

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 13 Jul 2023 at 3:43pm

I've got the same size- seems similar sizing to me, but I'm a regular M.

Every single M wetsuit from any company fits me perfectly.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Thursday, 13 Jul 2023 at 3:57pm

Can I just wave the flag for the humble O'Neill Hyperfreak 3/2, please? After 10 days of stormy SW winds, water temp has dropped to 14.5C, but I'm warm and dry, and it is ridiculously flexi. Chest zip.

MarioM's picture
MarioM's picture
MarioM Thursday, 13 Jul 2023 at 4:02pm
freeride76 wrote:

I've got the same size- seems similar sizing to me, but I'm a regular M.

Every single M wetsuit from any company fits me perfectly.

Cheers thats good to know as was unsure with the stretch of them as it seems on their site they have a lot of give . I`m LS . I find Billabong a good fit but the two Quiks I have are tighter . The bong is way past its use by - inside lining falling apart and leaky as but thats after two full seasons . Rip Curl I can`t get on most of the time . The Quiks are the two worst wetsuits I have ever owned . Bought purely on price the synchros were too good to pass up at 150 each now both falling apart one after a season and one only just put into rotation now is also following suit .

MarioM's picture
MarioM's picture
MarioM Thursday, 13 Jul 2023 at 4:15pm
Island Bay wrote:

Can I just wave the flag for the humble O'Neill Hyperfreak 3/2, please? After 10 days of stormy SW winds, water temp has dropped to 14.5C, but I'm warm and dry, and it is ridiculously flexi. Chest zip.

Is yours the normal or the fire ? I`ve been hearing some bad things about the oneills both online as well as from mates . I`m liking the talk of yamamoto neoprene as well as the compression talk of some of these other manufactures . Has me really leaning toward an Isurus .

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Thursday, 13 Jul 2023 at 8:56pm
MarioM wrote:
Island Bay wrote:

Is yours the normal or the fire ? I`ve been hearing some bad things about the oneills both online as well as from mates . I`m liking the talk of yamamoto neoprene as well as the compression talk of some of these other manufactures . Has me really leaning toward an Isurus .

Mario - the Yamamoto Isurus uses is what sets their suits apart I reckon. I might be wrong but the only other manufacturer that uses the same neoprene is Seventh Wave and I hear their suits are Rolls Royce's as well. You won't be disappointed.

MarioM's picture
MarioM's picture
MarioM Thursday, 13 Jul 2023 at 9:24pm

Well I`ve heard back from Greg at Isurus and he recommends an MS which kind of throws me . Even after I`ve given him a guide on broad shoulders / chest in a short arse body and giving him my short arm spring suit size which is MS . I did forget to tell him about my long arm spring which is a large . I may have to do a shitty thing and go try some suits on to see what an MS steamer feels like . He also tells me a zipperless will be roomier than the chest zip also which makes sense . Returns no issue as long as all is how it was sent .

greyhound's picture
greyhound's picture
greyhound Friday, 14 Jul 2023 at 9:44am

Can highly recommend feral wetsuits.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Friday, 14 Jul 2023 at 10:44am

I have 2 Isurus steamers MM, 2mm and 3mm both zipper less, fantastic suits and Greg is easy to deal with IMO

Doublems111's picture
Doublems111's picture
Doublems111 Tuesday, 12 Sep 2023 at 4:16pm

Weirdest update. My Isirus 2/2 steamer has done 3 full season. I commented here about their superiority way back and still stand by that from a new suit owner. BUT the last month(so end of season 3 winter) it's like the suit switched off overnight. Usually a suit feels overstretched, lining starts to go or the neck gets loose and overall just feels done but still warm. This suit feels fine in the carpark, maybe a bit stretched but very much in tact, then within the first 30minutes surfing I'm cold to the bone. At first I thought it's the coldest day ever or the water temps are lower than usual but alas every session it happens!
I wonder if there is such a thing where whatever tech is used just expires/collapses (like a surfboard loosing it's flex, for sunblock its happen too ) . Could it be water is creeping in but not escaping and the heating properties are done? I'm truly perplexed by the sudden change... 3 Years were fine as most suits last me 2 to 3 seasons and the surfing in Isirus suits were way more comfortable in regards to stretch and comfort and on par warmth until the sudden change. Except for now scrambling for a new suit whilst having soup.

For those interested, I will get another(if on sale) but am looking at Patagonia R1(which is on sale)

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 12 Sep 2023 at 4:33pm

Check your Body Weight - Betcha down a KG or Two.

Doublems111's picture
Doublems111's picture
Doublems111 Tuesday, 12 Sep 2023 at 6:51pm

Oooh, great theory! Same weight but if anything half a kilo swapped from muscle to body fat (IE dad bod due to baby 2 years ago) The switch from great to cold is almost overnight. Weirdest thing!