Nias Board Advice

Stok's picture
Stok started the topic in Friday, 12 Apr 2019 at 9:48pm

Hello!

I'm heading to Langundri Bay for the first time over the Easter/ANZAC day break, wondering if I should pack my 7'0 or if the 6'4 will suffice? Kind of looks manageable on shorter boards, as long as it's not huge.

Any other trip advice/experiences?

Cheers!

Stok's picture
Stok's picture
Stok Friday, 12 Apr 2019 at 10:23pm

Bird Man's picture
Bird Man's picture
Bird Man Monday, 15 Apr 2019 at 2:45am

strawbs's picture
strawbs's picture
strawbs Saturday, 13 Apr 2019 at 9:40am

Definitely take your 7ft board as well and pack new legropes , if you paddle for the double ups, inside waves dont miss them even if you have to straighten out just in case a bombs behind them . Paddle real wide on the way back out to the takeoff area every time you flick off , its easy to get pulled to deep inside the takeoff area by the current use the landmarks etc. I stay at Sanalis losmen down the point it has a better views of the lineup than further up the point, ok food etc , pay a bit more and stay at Hashs losmen for the best views if you have the budget , pack your mosquito repellent and cover up at night , hopefully its not to crowded yet off season wasnt , and last pack some imodium i had the joy of traveling back for days with the shits including missed flights delays etc solo , think it was trip number unlucky 13 to the point for me and felt like it on a couple of squat dunnys lol ..

Bird Man's picture
Bird Man's picture
Bird Man Monday, 15 Apr 2019 at 2:46am

Bird Man's picture
Bird Man's picture
Bird Man Saturday, 13 Apr 2019 at 10:53am

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 13 Apr 2019 at 12:41pm

Any dramas flying Medan to Gunungsitoli with boards longer than 6'8
Mark Flint from KabuNohi mentions they need to go by overland transport..?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 13 Apr 2019 at 1:56pm

The official board length policy for Lion/Wings air and Garuda/Citilink is actually some ridiculous short unrealistic length, but being a route lots of surfers take they are fairly reasonable, i don't think their is a official length they stick too, but it seems around the 7ft length is where you could get rejected.(even high 6 foot like 6,8 could come with risk)

IMHO more chance of rejection if you have a 7ft board bag with three boards than a single nice packed 7ft board though.

I had a friend that had his mini mal rejected and had to leave it at the airport in medan and pay for storage.

strawbs's picture
strawbs's picture
strawbs Saturday, 13 Apr 2019 at 3:18pm

Traveled in and out with wings air , from Medan with a 7 foot, multi board cover no dramas last few years and in march this year , you will pay for how many boards you have weight etc , ATMs are handy as is restaurants and now a new transit hotel, great rooms , baggage drop off was closed down when i went to use it ...

Stok's picture
Stok's picture
Stok Saturday, 13 Apr 2019 at 3:49pm

Ok cool, so looks like if there's any reasonable swell coming I'll need the 7'0. I'm flying Garuda which worked pretty well - Jakarta to Gunungsitoli.

Might try carrying the 7'0 separately, as I don't have a big enough coffin for it, not sure if that'll make it easier.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 13 Apr 2019 at 4:37pm

What was cost of Jakarta Gunung flight ?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 13 Apr 2019 at 4:54pm

Interesting to see how you go with a longer board on Garuda Jakarta to Nias flight.

These flights are fairly new, i wonder if the planes are a bit bigger? (standard size that fly most of Indo)

If bigger planes i expect will be no issues, but if they are the same sized planes as they use between Medan-Nias then you might have issues.

Because the Jakarta staff are more likely to stick to official measurement rules for these planes.

Ive had issues before checking in boards in Central Java with Lion air where my baggage/boards were to go into transit through Jakarta-Medan-Nias because staff never deal with boards so they told me i cant do it because they are too long 6,2 was the longest. (because technically speaking by official rules its not possible)

I told them, ive had no issues flying from Medan to Nias with boards and done it many times, and luckily i was able to convince them to ring Medan to confirm it's okay, still took about an hour to sort out though.

Stok's picture
Stok's picture
Stok Saturday, 13 Apr 2019 at 11:46pm

Cost was about $1k, but i booked late and it's over Easter. A little more expensive ($100 or so) than going via Medan but no Lion/Wings air.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 14 Apr 2019 at 8:04am

Was enquiring about the Jakarta to Gunungsitoli return flight cost

Solitude's picture
Solitude's picture
Solitude Sunday, 14 Apr 2019 at 9:30am

Is there a transit hotel in Medan airport??

Stok's picture
Stok's picture
Stok Sunday, 14 Apr 2019 at 10:07am

Couple of hundred for CGK to GNS return.

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Sunday, 14 Apr 2019 at 10:16am

Not in the airport Solitude but a couple within 10mins. They will come pick u up from the airport if u stay with them.

Garuda no longer fly KNO to GNS so Wings air only option these days.

Solitude's picture
Solitude's picture
Solitude Sunday, 14 Apr 2019 at 11:05am

So not too much of a hassle? They used to picking up surfers with boards? Can you suggest one?

strawbs's picture
strawbs's picture
strawbs Sunday, 14 Apr 2019 at 11:29am

There is a transit hotel in the Medan airport ,( took me a while to find it )you have to walk out of the second floor and leave the building heading outside turn right and headdown the travelator . its brand new with great beds shower etc, it isnt connected directly to the airport so you have to come back through security , they have didnt have a problem with having my boards going in the room with me , the baggage dropoff in the airport looked like it was closed down completely wich is a hassle if you have to lug your boards into the city ..

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Sunday, 14 Apr 2019 at 11:39am

No hassle solitude. The Crew hotel is very convenient if only staying in Medan for 1 night and yes they are used to picking up surfers.

Stok's picture
Stok's picture
Stok Monday, 15 Apr 2019 at 7:56pm

Ok looks like a decent south swell coming!

Might try packing the 7'0 separately, and taking my other boards in a smaller coffin so it's not one massive bag.

Anyone done that before?