The United States(!) of A

factotum's picture
factotum started the topic in Thursday, 27 Aug 2020 at 11:12am

Septic Tanks are going to Septic Tank

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Monday, 31 Jul 2023 at 7:46pm

I have not called the race conclusion. That is probably years away. There are many twists and turn ahead. But, if the strategy so far is the best NATO can come up with, it is not reflecting well on them.

Attacking such well defended positons usually needs air superiority as a pre-requisite for success. Mine clearing especially needs air protection to proceed on the scale required and at a speed to support a fast breakthrough.

To go ahead without that is at best a very costly approach in terms of men and machines for the "probing and shaping" benefits to date - even if some much hinted at game changer tactic happens down the track. At worst it is incompetent.

Hopefully the same military strategists are not behind plans to contain China through some US led campaign with Australia hitched to their wagon. The Tawainese must also be more than a little nervous about getting proxified.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Monday, 31 Jul 2023 at 8:17pm

I meant in terms of the counteroffensive, not the war. Plenty going on. Heavy losses, in places. Slow progress. But, that’s what happened in Kherson last year too. Then look what happened.

This is a Ukrainian-led operation. Not a NATO one. They’ve consistently been pretty solid with their operational security, and for good reason. Some of the leaks to the media out of the US have pissed them off. And while I don’t doubt that there have been some tactically inept actions, it is probably a bit of a stretch to call the Ukrainian general staff incompetent. They’ve defied expectations of everyone. Repeatedly.

They are probably also planning / prepared to use the whole summer and autumn to achieve their operational (not strategic) objectives. Then again, the rate of advance is actually quite quick compared to the Russian offensives of late.

As an aside, how do you suppose that Ukraine would gain air superiority?

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Monday, 31 Jul 2023 at 9:57pm

NATO training, intelligence, equipment, strategy, numerous advisers, who knows how many personnel on the ground and at distance operating drones, stormshadows and analysing every bit of data, = high degree of NATO responsibility for strategic and operational decisions and outcomes.

Going in to attack without air superiority show Ukranians to be very brave and as competent as circumstances allow. - competent operationally but strategically disadvantaged.

The decisions and pressure to go in anyway without air superiority and with a substantial artillery disadvantage against heavily built up defence sit higher up in the various command and political structures. Kherson gains were last years battle in very different circumstances.

Strategic realities such as a lack of air superiority bring other issues to the fore.

Not every battle has to be fought. The heroic and those viewed as in the right do not always win. Not every war has to be won - most end in compromise. Not every line on a map is as important as presented in the modern era. Neutrality between two major power blocks and economies has advantages. Being a great power proxy is not often a good idea.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Monday, 31 Jul 2023 at 10:00pm

Ukraine are calling the shots. Regardless of what training, equipment etc they’re given. There’s a number of credible reports of Ukraine choosing to do things against ‘advice’ from western leaders.

They’re not going to get the air superiority that the west would expect. They don’t have the equipment, doctrine or training to conduct that style of operation. Neither does Russia. (In reality, the only nation that can do that mission at scale is the USA). I think Ukraine is trying to overcome this problem through localised artillery dominance.

From what I’ve read the priority targets for Ukrainian strikes at the moment is Russian artillery, air defence, command nodes and (in depth) logistics. Tactically, it’s counter-battery fire.

I don’t think the Ukrainians are prepared to compromise their territorial sovereignty. What do you think they should give up? As far as being someone’s ‘proxy’ goes (and man, hasn’t that term come back into vogue), I’d agree with you - how has it worked out for the eastern, largely Russian-speaking oblasts of Ukraine that have been co-opted as Putin’s proxy for almost a decade?. Shithouse.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Tuesday, 1 Aug 2023 at 1:37pm

This is an excellent discussion and analysis…
Facts that are free of pathetic patriotic fantasy.

https://m.

&t=24s

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Tuesday, 1 Aug 2023 at 4:23pm

Really?

1. It’s full of hyperbole. It’s full of false leaps of logic. It’s based, not on analysing the facts and making an assessment, but rather on interpreting some facts to confirm a predetermined position - NATO is using Ukraine as a proxy to… defend its own territory.

2. Where is his evidence that the US ‘egged the Russians on’? Fact? Or baseless statement? If you go back and look at the period from November 2021 to February 2022, there are a range of attempts at deescalation. Again, your man John M makes a statement with absolutely zero examples and has to look past all of those attempts to deescalate / deter.

3. Where is his evidence that the US and the West expected to win? The evidence and most of the public narrative assessed the exact opposite - that Russia would achieve its primary political objective of regime change. This actually resulted in the US delaying provision of advanced defensive weapons for fear of it falling into Russian hands. I think there were serious doubts about Ukrainian resolve - especially after the bruising experience of the collapse of the Afghan government. Ukrainian resolve was bolstered in the first instance by European support. The US came on later.

I could go on, but it’s actually a waste of time. It’s an alternative perspective, sure, but John Mearsheimer’s IR credentials don’t actually provide him any more insights into military strategy or tactics than those pundits he’s criticising. Do you think it might be a little premature to be calling the counteroffensive a failure?

Anyway, others have pulled Mearsheimer’s arguments apart already.

https://www.russiamatters.org/analysis/whats-missing-mearsheimers-analys...

A better perspective on the state of the counteroffensive than “it’s failed”:

http://warontherocks.libsyn.com/an-inflection-point-in-ukraines-countero...

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Tuesday, 1 Aug 2023 at 5:28pm

You could go on ‘but it’s actually a waste of time’ ;)

And yet you are accusing others of trying to ‘confirm a predetermined position’…

Watch this vid below - or go to the 12.30 mark. (I don’t wanna waste all your time)

- and let’s not forget about hyperbole ;)

Biden’s claim about Putin having ‘already lost this war’ …
Premature ? Hyperbole ?

Kinda like ‘mission accomplished’ bush style ;)

The hypocrisy in you keeps growing stronger.
- some pirates will choose to go down with the ship ;)

(That podcast u shared was pretty good tho - putting aside the obvious bias - but it doesn’t share anything other than an affirmation of uncertainty, can’t say the counter offensive has failed… so far it’s failing, that’s a given. What lays ahead nobody knows for certain so we can at least agree on that!)

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Tuesday, 1 Aug 2023 at 6:11pm

I actually gave your John M video a try. I really did. I worked through the 3 mentions of “US proxy war against Russia” in the first two minutes and gave it another 10 min then skipped through some sections. I hate the Aaron Mate leading questions style of interview - he’s actually the one who dropped ‘proxy war’ first. I reflected on what John M’s saying now vs what he’s said before the war and considered the shift in narrative. I looked up a couple of bookmarked articles. I actually wondered for a moment whether you agree with his views on China-US relationship. The waste of time refers to breaking down all of the issues with that podcast. It’s a waste of my time - there’s plenty of more credible, better researched articles out there.

Dunno why you’re trying to link my comments with GWB’s infamous Mission Accomplished. My views on Iraq are on record. Was GWB’s proclamation premature? Definitely.

What do you think Joe Biden meant when he said that Putin had already lost the war? My take is that Putin failed to meet the primary political objective of the war - the replacement of the regime in Kiev and the installation of a pro-Russian alternative. That’s a statement of fact. Surely. Does it mean that Russia will not retain control of any Ukrainian land at the end of this offensive? Probably not. But it was a sound bite. Just like John Mearsheimer’s view on the counteroffensive. A useful series of sound bites.

Is it failing? I don’t know, because while the politically defined strategic goal of a return to 2014 borders are clear (the war aims), I don’t know what the specific operational objectives are. In a simple sense this might be judged to be purely territorial control, but I’m not sure that’s as important at this stage of the offensive. And physically reaching the Sea of Azov might not be necessary to isolate large parts of the Russian forces and or force a withdrawal of sections of the front. Or trigger an act of goodwill, if that’s how we want to phrase it.

There’s some parallels with the Ukrainian offensive last summer and autumn, particularly in Kherson, which was deemed by many commentators to have been a failure - until Russia withdrew to the left bank of the Dnipro because it was unable to sustain its forces in northern Kherson. And at the same time Russian forces in Kharkiv were forced to retreat.

Do I think the Ukrainians tried to force their way through the lines initially in this offensive Yes. Did some of those action fail? Absolutely. Does that mean their entire offensive has failed? - absolutely not.

As Kofman and Lee discuss, we don’t have a very good fix on Russian forces situation. Are they going to collapse dramatically - probably not. But there could be local withdrawals or tactical breakthroughs. Whether Ukraine has the capability to exploit and turn that into a broader operational breakthrough is questionable.

There’s way better commentators on the conduct of this conflict than Mearsheimer and Mate.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Tuesday, 1 Aug 2023 at 6:32pm

Why 12:30 on your GreyZone video? Bakhmut or the F16s?

I’m not sure what exactly I’m missing?

From a Ben and Jerry’s rabbit hole:

“Achar said he understood the conclusions being drawn by people like Cohen about Washington’s interventions in Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan. But, he said, “it leads a lot of people on the left into … [a] knee-jerk opposition to anything the United States does.”

What they fail to account for, however, is the Ukrainian people.

“In a way, part of the Western left is ethnocentric,” said Achcar, who was born in Senegal and grew up in Lebanon. “They look at the whole world just by their opposition to their own government and therefore forget about other people’s rights.”

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Tuesday, 1 Aug 2023 at 11:39pm
etarip wrote:

A better perspective on the state of the counteroffensive than “it’s failed”:

http://warontherocks.libsyn.com/an-inflection-point-in-ukraines-countero...

The interview is a good summary of the state of play.

What still astounds me as a non military nobody is that he is listing a series of points of challenge / weakness that we discussed a few months ago that seemed entirely foreseeable back then and before that even to a casual observer of publicly available stuff on the internet.

One example. "Defenses were better than expected."

In the modern era, in a conflict zone that must be more scrutinised and analysed than any in history, by probably masses of Western experts and analysts, with excellent tools, this comment and its implications for flaws in NATO / US information gathering and interpretation capability or, more likely, in the willingness to accept and act upon "not so positive news" up the line of command and thus to adjust strategy is more than a little mindblowing.

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 12:26pm

After months of defensive preparation by Russia and despite the provision of heavy NATO weapons for Ukraine, does look like the war is heading towards a stalemate. Which ultimately is a win for Russia.

They may not have taken Kiev but they have destroyed Ukraines economy including vast areas of agricultural land, port infrastructure and access to the Black Sea. At a cost of thousands of lives and people displaced.

Stalemate may lead to an increase in easier civilian targets on both sides and then global pressure for a negotiated settlement. Give Russia a few more years to rebuild the military and then they look at the their next Special Military Operation….. Ukraine, Georgia, Moldovia?

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 3:11pm

Distracted - agree. Any ‘freezing’ of the conflict works in Russia’s favour - ongoing trickled mobilisation / drafts and rebuilding of stocks. Ukraine won’t stop while they have political unity, military capacity and western support.

I think Russia is feeling the pressure on the battlefield, sustaining a huge front. All those those defensive lines need troops to man them, drones to watch them, artillery to cover them. Mines are only effective if covered by observation and fire. Some of the pro-RU channels are pessimistic about their ability to hold everywhere.

Hence a series of horizontal escalations elsewhere - supporting coups in Africa, ramping up pressure on Kurds and US in Syria, moving nukes and Wagner forces to Belarus, making canceling the Black Sea Grain initiative. They want the war to stop now, and to gain some kind of de facto international recognition of the annexed territories.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 3:42pm

Back to the USA. Some pretty heavy charges dropped in the indictment of DJT.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 4:10pm

US Election Reform > R (vs) L
Each Election divides the Nation deeper!
No way can these 2 Parties agree on anything if they oppose the Electoral process.

Few talk about it...coz it's wot once made USA so great...Their Prez style Extravaganza.
But outsiders can't help but notice it's turned to shit!
Mostly coz this US Electoral Hate Campaign is spreading globally.
Crew will notice similar opposing policies in AEC reforms.

Applying a simple but rare Voter's Review one can see this division is forever & afar.

Rep [ACE] American Confidence in Elections
Dems [FVA] Freedom to Vote Act + For the People Act
Voter can be mistaken they oppose each other as sport!
But you'll see there is a driving force that Flips each Flop.

Forward intro...
Crew will instantly notice the main difference.
Dems want Donor's outed & free for all Mass Crazy Likes / Votes woteva!
Rep want Donors Protected & Limited vetted US resident Voters with ID checks.

Reform .........Rep [ACE] (vs) Dems [FVA]

Donor Checks .......Less ........More
Disclosure .............Less ........More
Transparency ........Less .........More
Cyber Security.......Less .........More

Licence I.D sign ....More ........Less
Govt Roll Check....More .......Less

Migrant Votes .......Less ........More
Past Felons ...........Less .........More
Roll Promo ........... Less ........More
IT Vote Precincts ..Less ........More
Same Day Enrol ....Less ........More
Early Votes ............Less .........More
Postal Votes ..........Less ........More
Drop Boxes ............Less ........More

Why are these Polls Poles apart?

Dems want closed shop Silicon Valley bankrolling new world online subscriptions to swipe Like.
Dems know IT is above all Law so they can be excused for hiding the truth forevermore.

Rep want Private Donors bankrolling Old School Policy with Homeland Security Checks on migrants.
Rep know Wealth is above Law so they can hide he truth if they buy the Judges that make the Laws.

If ya think tbb is reading too much into that...
Dems just dumped their Electoral Lawyer...But!
They'll likely need several Electoral Lawyers for Each phase of the next & next & next Elections...
Each Lawyer has different demeanour & skill set to fight each step of their fucked up Electoral process.
Yes! All this shit the world loathes...Yanks have now spawned a new industry born of Hate...
Dems will likely keep Elias on leash as an attack dog to fight Post election battles against Rep Judges!

Scoop! The argument stems from Gazillion suits against Trump being judged by his own Judges.
So Yes! All are aware of this insane Polarizing Flip Flop Electoral World that freezes over the US!
Exactly why we see Trump pull ahead each time Joe calls his Lawyer...
Joe..."Oh! C'mon...not even finished dialling & Trump's poll ramps with each number I dial...Please!"
https://www.axios.com/2023/07/31/biden-marc-elias-democrats-election-law...

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Friday, 4 Aug 2023 at 12:52pm

An absolute fucking disgrace.
No referendum or public consultation necessary ;)

- it’s for peace and stability… oh… and also to help save the environment ;);)

&pp=ygUMdXMgYXJteSBtZW1l

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 4 Aug 2023 at 12:56pm
Jelly Flater wrote:

An absolute fucking disgrace.
No referendum or public consultation necessary ;)

- it’s for peace and stability… oh… and also to help save the environment ;);)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D-l1MauBmM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KRzupMsasVo&pp=ygUMdXMgYXJteSBtZW1l

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Friday, 4 Aug 2023 at 3:33pm

Not to worry chaps. Down the track, after the expected China confrontation, in which the US predict to humiliate China - with only moderate losses for the US and Australia (based on 26 war games on a board game using dice!)

the US can always say as per Ukraine (if the assumptions in the board game were a little optimistic and things went pear shaped): "oops, their defence was better than expected."

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 4 Aug 2023 at 5:39pm

I dunno I rate that over planning an invasion on Powerpoint.

They might want 1:2400 scale ships for the naval assets tho, it's apparently popular with in board gaming circles

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 4 Aug 2023 at 5:56pm

Elon locked me out of twitter (no account) so I haven't kept up with all the Ukraine stuff from both sides - Ukraine has found it equally difficult to advance without combined-arms and proper air cover from drones, neutralising artillery etc, right?

I did present an analysis of China preparing for conflict in the 'Australia - you're standing in it thread' - worth a look.

I will try to dig up some US preparing links over the weekend, I found them valuable for the positioning and importance of certain areas.

If you want my methodology, I generally look at it a bit like Mackinder would, add some Mahan, and with a bit of 1930's allegory - you've got two authoritarian powers on the central world-continent who are expanding and taking territory and have been during the last decade (Primakov doctrine, Hong Kong etc) and you've got sea-power liberal market economies who have luxuriated in a recent high peak of globalism, who have woken up to the threat and are responding. All places on the periphery of the world-continent become contested space, power fills any vacuum on both sides. Some players sit on the fence. Add to that the question of which system of government is better, again like the 1930s: it's a global ideological struggle too and it's outcome is vastly important to what this century will look like for every day people Sadly that extends into things like online forums...

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Friday, 4 Aug 2023 at 7:02pm

Looks like Ukrainians just badly damaged (at least) another Russian ship from the Black Sea fleet, based out of Novorosyisk on Russian Black Sea coast - where they’ve relocated form Sevastopol in Crimea. A large landing ship that’s been used for resupply.

Anyway, yes - both sides finding it hard to advance against entrenched opposition. No miracle weapons out there.

On the US / West - China tension. Super interesting that quite a few countries are starting to reject PRC soft-power initiatives like BRI and PRC-owned tech companies like Huawei and ZTE. Wonder why?

https://www.cfr.org/blog/why-italy-withdrawing-chinas-belt-and-road-init...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 4 Aug 2023 at 7:36pm

Here is Jonny Harris' summary of the situation in Asia and the US preparations for war - it's visual and you can see the amount of bases going in. Well worth a watch.

Next: this one is good in how it mentions the role of the USMC will change - a lot more emphasis on missiles. It seems any conflict in the future won't be anything like WW2 with 30 aircraft carriers launching 1000 plane strikes, but rather a battle of mobile, hard to find missile forces - a bit like the HIMARS in Ukraine.

Another good visual presentation, this time about the Philippines and the Bashi channel which will become more well known in future:

How to defuse?

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Saturday, 5 Aug 2023 at 9:03am

On China / Taiwan:
https://chinapower.csis.org/survey-experts-china-approach-to-taiwan/

No-one has answers - just possibilities and probabilities.

Maybe US war games experts should forget their loaded dice and get out the ouija board?

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 6 Aug 2023 at 8:27am

US Prez Markle orders AUKUS partner to Nuke Buckingham Palace.
King Harry orders Oz Republic Commander in Chief Albo to bid for 2034 Queen Meghan Games.
https://nypost.com/2023/08/02/meghan-markle-backed-for-white-house-run-b...

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Sunday, 6 Aug 2023 at 12:42pm

Loaded dice dictated by a god complex ;)

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 6 Aug 2023 at 2:12pm

Only watched 15 minutes but interesting

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 6 Aug 2023 at 2:12pm

Only watched 15 minutes but interesting

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 6 Aug 2023 at 4:44pm
truebluebasher wrote:

US Prez Markle orders AUKUS partner to Nuke Buckingham Palace.
King Harry orders Oz Republic Commander in Chief Albo to bid for 2034 Queen Meghan Games.
https://nypost.com/2023/08/02/meghan-markle-backed-for-white-house-run-b...

lmao Harry as 1st Husband and wiggle him back into line for the throne, then re-unify the two kingdoms and complete the work of the War of 1812 lol

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Tuesday, 15 Aug 2023 at 11:24am

Seeing the destruction of Lahaina, Maui in the recent wildfires has been pretty heartbreaking. Having lost everything in bushfires as a youngster and having lived through another two catastrophic fires in the last decade here in oz, (one where seven neighbours either side of us lost everything) I have an acute interest in the recovery process as well as the government and bureaucratic processes involved…

After these experiences I can say that nothing stops these things. Nothing. Now, tragic and sudden events of these nature, especially in the aftermath, are wrought with a lot of could’ve, would’ve and should’ve … The one constant and the one true beacon of light is the community action and unity that rises and endures through such events - action that is an admirable mirror of true mateship and resilience of spirit, because it seems government (local, state and federal) have a distinct lack of cohesion and a consistently sluggish ability/inability to coordinate and provide efficient care for ‘the people’.

Now, I can admit I’ve got a vested interest through relating to some of the imagery and stories associated with the recent tragedy in Hawaii. The thing which struck me a few days ago was when the US president put forward a multi billion dollar money grab plan to the US senate in regard to, primarily, more military funding and aid to Ukraine. Some of the money is supposedly to contribute to and boost the US disaster relief fund as well.

The thing is… the amount of money prospectively allotted for Ukraine (on top of the already billions of dollars provided) is a massive kick in the guts to the people of Lahaina, Maui. I understand recovery efforts are underway - yet the urgency and prioritisation relative to whatever keeps being funnelled into an overseas war, when US citizens who have lost everything and are now trying to survive in their own war zone at home, is fucking atrocious and negligent in the highest order.

I’m not gonna pretend I know what’s happening on the ground there. I have, however, seen numerous reports and heard more than a few instances of survivors stating they were abandoned by the authorities and pretty much that it’s ‘up to them’ to lead the way in the aftermath. I don’t discount the confusion nor deny the enormous logistical efforts required for government stuff to get going in this kind of situation - there is no easy or foolproof solution…

But fark. Shouldn’t $25 billion or $40 billion or whatever it is be offered up and thrown Lahaina’s way? Shouldn’t there be an influx of military grade machinery and aid and supplies and field hospitals and resources etc provided to the US citizens of this devastated region of Hawaii ?

It beggars belief that there is any continued emphasis on the scale being put forward in regard to further Ukrainian support at this time. Not saying they don’t deserve anything - it’s the priority and urgency relative to the supposed proud ideal of ‘the government of the people, by the people, for the people etc…’ - that once again reeks of hypocrisy and deception. It seems the government ‘of the lobbyists, by the military industrial complex and for the corrupt politicians and corporations’ once again steals the spotlight and maintains control and… holds all the power.

The original context of the government ‘for the people’ is so the people ‘shall not perish from the earth’…
- in this instance, and in a lot of instances these days, it seems fairly farkn out of whack.

https://responsiblestatecraft.org/2023/08/10/what-will-congress-do-with-...

And this vid, ignore the messengers and focus on the message ;)

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 15 Aug 2023 at 12:18pm

^^ ignore the messenger is right - fark that guy is a tool.
JOE: "it's just sooo sketchy whenever money gets involved.. whenever you're realizing (sic) that people have an incentive to keep this [viral podcast money-machine] rolling... to the tune of.. who knows how many billions of dollars so far... like, how much has been spent on [research into provocateur subject/stance to engage the disenfranchised to richify me, while I disparage those who make charitable donations in such a way as to justify contributing nothing myself, all the while sitting here like a drawling, self-important tomato].. oh my god.."
I guess even a broken clock is right twice a day. Great post Jelly, wholeheartedly agree with the message.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Tuesday, 15 Aug 2023 at 12:37pm

Haha… excellent summary.

‘self-important tomato’… bang on ;)

You may enjoy this :

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Tuesday, 15 Aug 2023 at 2:41pm

Trump and 19 others indicted on 41 felony counts by badass Georgia DA Fani Willis today including under Georgia RICO Act. All to be tried together within 6 months, includes Guiliani, Mark Meadows and the "krakken" Sidney Powell. Unlike the federal indictments he is already charged with, he cannot stop these or pardon himself if he won the next election. If convicted, which on the evidence seems a slam dunk, he will likely spend the rest of his life in jail. He's done, finished, it's over.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Tuesday, 15 Aug 2023 at 4:56pm

Just to make sure he would not return to disturb the force, a final spiders web was set - a risk that Trumpy in his hubris (and his advisers), missed completely despite his witch hunt protestations:

https://thefederalist.com/2023/08/11/7-revelations-from-ex-capitol-polic...

Trump put Democracy at risk by refusing to accept defeat but that certain decision makers left the Capital wide open to known risks of, at minimum, riots on January 6 and then provided inexplicably slow responses to authorise actions to regain control of the situation on the day, is pretty disturbing for democracy in its own way.

Capitol Hill Police Chief was forced to wait 71 minutes for approval to take key actions on Jan 6 and made multiple calls seeking authorisation whilst a situation with clear riot potential developed !

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Tuesday, 15 Aug 2023 at 5:15pm

Who was in government on 6 Jan 2021?

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Tuesday, 15 Aug 2023 at 6:56pm

Well it could have been a 4D chess plan by Trump. I dont think he is up to much even in 2 D chess.

The means and motives could also sit elsewhere.

Putting Nancy Pelosi, who was up the chain from the House Sargent at Arms, who seemed to go slow on Jan 6, off limits in the enquiry process did not help clarify things.

The inquiry did not seem to put much focus on all the strange and almost systematic failures of process Sund outlines. If Trump had been the mastermind controlling multiple players it would have been exposed - not swept under the carpet.

For Trump to think a bunch of MAGA odd balls could somehow create a sustainable coup again implies he is not up to a 4 D chess plan to keep security at bay via instigating multiple points of process failure. Particularly as the agencies needing to be players were known to dislike him.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 15 Aug 2023 at 7:14pm

If they spent as much time and energy on fighting crime in USA as they do trying to get Trump for something, the USA would be crime free within a year.

(don't argue with me, not literally)

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Tuesday, 15 Aug 2023 at 8:11pm

This latest indictment has nothing to do with Jan 6. It’s about the almost comically inept attempt to overturn the result in Georgia.

All of these indictments have had to go in front of Grand Juries - everyday people, not selected bureaucrats, attorneys or law enforcement- to make a decision to proceed. They make that decision based on the weight of evidence presented - not ascertaining guilt, but whether there are grounds for trial.

And guess what? There is.

I find it interesting that during the two impeachments there was a thread of argument that Trump was being denied the justice of a trial for a political process. Now the same voices are arguing that he should be given a free pass from trial for a political process (campaign).

Let it play out. These are all jury trials from what I can tell. A panel of citizens, from within the jurisdictions in which the crimes were allegedly committed will be provided evidence and will make a decision. That’s it.

Will be very interesting to see who the witnesses for the prosecution are. A lot (vast majority) of them in the DC trial are Republicans.

And ID. That’s pretty lame.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 15 Aug 2023 at 8:20pm

bizarre comment, Indo.. who is 'they'? It IS fighting crime. He's a criminal.
(Oh, like an equivalency thing? Funding robodebt instead of chasing magnates ?)
Your unfettered adoration of famous power people is bewildering.
Too much toob time. They aren't real Indo - just boring, rich narcissists.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 15 Aug 2023 at 9:14pm

I find him very entertaining but im not a Trump fan as such, and i actually hope he cant run again from all this legal stuff as im a Desantis fan.

I havent been following it all, but it just seems like they have been going after Trump from day one trying to pin him for anything, first it was the Russian stuff, and then its gone on and on and still going.

While they just ignore or even try to hide anything from the Democrats be it with Hillary or didn't Biden also have classified docs un-secure or of course his sons laptop cover up etc

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Tuesday, 15 Aug 2023 at 9:14pm

Maybe there’s just been a pattern of behaviour by Trump and allies?

What Dem crimes are you suggesting are being overlooked or hidden? I’m not saying it doesn’t happen - and if it does then they should be going after it - but it seems like every bombshell the GOP have just flops.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 15 Aug 2023 at 9:20pm

not hoofing into a debate here Indo, but who is 'they'? I'm always wary of people who use 'they' within any issue with the normal complexities that most issues have. Kinda reeks of someone who thinks a bit black and white; in dualisms. Full disclosure, I'm not a fan of anyone in US politics, as I don't vote there, don't live there, and I watch as a completely detached (oft bewildered) observer who has a removed interest in the broader global politics.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Tuesday, 15 Aug 2023 at 9:52pm
etarip wrote:

Maybe there’s just been a pattern of behaviour by Trump and allies?

What Dem crimes are you suggesting are being overlooked or hidden? I’m not saying it doesn’t happen - and if it does then they should be going after it - but it seems like every bombshell the GOP have just flops.

The Biden’s seem to have a stench as strong if not far more pungent than Trump.
Hunter is in a bit of strife atm with some strong implications for Joe.

Then there’s the Twitter files

And some would suggest that it is worth considering that the prosecution of Trump is more of a dictatorial move. ie. getting rid of potential strong opposition. Given that similar misgivings for former presidents may have been overlooked. And conveniently move the narrative to avoid the above.

Maybe.

I’m not a Trump supporter either.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Tuesday, 15 Aug 2023 at 9:59pm

Trump is a fool that deserves all that’s coming.
- and, fark, that Giuliani rat… gutter dweller

The Biden’s are a different type of moronic breed altogether.
The whole lot, either side, commanders in thief…

&pp=ygUfdHJ1bXAgaW50ZXJ2aWV3IHdpdGggdm9pY2Ugb3Zlcg%3D%3D

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Tuesday, 15 Aug 2023 at 10:01pm
Jelly Flater wrote:

Trump is a fool that deserves all that’s coming.
- and, fark, that Giuliani rat… gutter dweller

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8oKYK1MPwhM&pp=ygUfdHJ1bXAgaW50ZXJ2aWV3IHd...

Do you think the Biden laptop fiasco gives any weight to his rigged election claim.

Regardless of wether you’re a fan or not.

I’m a burn it all to the ground kind of persuasion that goes for the Aus. too

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Tuesday, 15 Aug 2023 at 10:33pm

They’re all a bunch of cunts ;)

Neither can be regarded as leaders, and neither represent or embody anything good.

Corrupt puppets… the Biden’s laptop stuff will all come out eventually - hard to say anything has a direct cause and effect. It’s a myriad of lies and a duel of whoever can outrun or successfully deflect their own deceptions by trying to blame the other.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Tuesday, 15 Aug 2023 at 11:41pm

Aah, FFS, the Hunter Biden laptop. There's this thing called "chain of custody", quite important in evidentiary law, you conspiracy theorists should check it out. The laptop is no smoking gun.
And old mate Indo-freeload, "I haven't been following but....blah, blah". Hillary handed over the email server, all of it, was investigated by a Republican majority Congress and despite all efforts by GOP lawmakers during Trump's presidency, couldn't be charged with anything, nada, zip.
Merrick Garland, head of the DoJ, has instructed a special prosecutor to investigate Hunter Biden, same as he did for Trump, so no one is hiding or covering up or getting favored treatment from "they".
We will see what comes from it but I believe it won't amount to much. He's guilty of being a fool and a junkie and of hiring prostitutes and smoking crack and probably trading off his father's fame and position but I seriously doubt his father can be tied into any of it, and any of his crimes or misdemeanors seem pale in significance if you took a close look at the enriching and shifty shit that Jared and Ivanka undertook during Trumps term. Setting up back channels to the Kremlin, Ivanka's Chinese patents, the $2 billion in Saudi cash given to Jared, etc. And then there's Don Jr, with his coked up handsplaining video tweets and the fact he, Donald, Eric and Ivanka are barred from operating a charity in NYC because they stole the money from cancer kids. Hunter Biden is an amateur grifter, if he is one at all, compared to the Trumps. But, you know, "they".
Joe Biden handed every classified document he had back as soon as he became aware he still had them, same as Mike Pence, which is the opposite of what Trump did and why they are not being prosecuted and Trump is.
Maybe "they" is Antifa? Or George Soros? Or Bill Gates? Or a combination of them, plus the Clintons, all involved in some vast conspiracy involving ritualized baby sacrificing and human trafficking for prostitution all using the persecution of the innocent, "perfect phone caller" Donald J Trump to divert attention from their evil shenanigans and prevent him from making America great again? Maybe Obama was actually a Kenyan and he's involved too? Possibly? Could be? "They" are very devious and powerful and can bend reality apparently.
I don't know, but one thing I can say without a doubt about DJT, TFG, is that MF is going to jail and he'll be taking a few others, the one's the Justice Department and the Fulton County DA don't flip and even the one's they do, along for the ride.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Wednesday, 16 Aug 2023 at 6:27am
adam12 wrote:

Aah, FFS, the Hunter Biden laptop. There's this thing called "chain of custody", quite important in evidentiary law, you conspiracy theorists should check it out. The laptop is no smoking gun.
And old mate Indo-freeload, "I haven't been following but....blah, blah". Hillary handed over the email server, all of it, was investigated by a Republican majority Congress and despite all efforts by GOP lawmakers during Trump's presidency, couldn't be charged with anything, nada, zip.
Merrick Garland, head of the DoJ, has instructed a special prosecutor to investigate Hunter Biden, same as he did for Trump, so no one is hiding or covering up or getting favored treatment from "they".
We will see what comes from it but I believe it won't amount to much. He's guilty of being a fool and a junkie and of hiring prostitutes and smoking crack and probably trading off his father's fame and position but I seriously doubt his father can be tied into any of it, and any of his crimes or misdemeanors seem pale in significance if you took a close look at the enriching and shifty shit that Jared and Ivanka undertook during Trumps term. Setting up back channels to the Kremlin, Ivanka's Chinese patents, the $2 billion in Saudi cash given to Jared, etc. And then there's Don Jr, with his coked up handsplaining video tweets and the fact he, Donald, Eric and Ivanka are barred from operating a charity in NYC because they stole the money from cancer kids. Hunter Biden is an amateur grifter, if he is one at all, compared to the Trumps. But, you know, "they".
Joe Biden handed every classified document he had back as soon as he became aware he still had them, same as Mike Pence, which is the opposite of what Trump did and why they are not being prosecuted and Trump is.
Maybe "they" is Antifa? Or George Soros? Or Bill Gates? Or a combination of them, plus the Clintons, all involved in some vast conspiracy involving ritualized baby sacrificing and human trafficking for prostitution all using the persecution of the innocent, "perfect phone caller" Donald J Trump to divert attention from their evil shenanigans and prevent him from making America great again? Maybe Obama was actually a Kenyan and he's involved too? Possibly? Could be? "They" are very devious and powerful and can bend reality apparently.
I don't know, but one thing I can say without a doubt about DJT, TFG, is that MF is going to jail and he'll be taking a few others, the one's the Justice Department and the Fulton County DA don't flip and even the one's they do, along for the ride.

You left out reptilian shape shifters... :)

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Wednesday, 16 Aug 2023 at 8:41am

Haha! …did u say shape shifters

&pp=ygUTQmlkZW4ga3lsZSBkdW5uaWdhbg%3D%3D

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Wednesday, 16 Aug 2023 at 8:55am
adam12 wrote:

All this defence for a career war monger who’s more of a threat in regards to dragging Australia into another pointless protracted conflict.
Trumps bad, but you’re overlooking a lot of shifuckery. Comparable to Indo with Morrison really.
When seeking something better I rarely choose the second worst.

Conspiracy theorists seem to be getting a lot rite these days with lab leaks, vaccines etc etc. .