Climate Change

blowfly's picture
blowfly started the topic in Wednesday, 1 Jul 2020 at 9:40am

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Wednesday, 26 Jul 2023 at 11:14am

There's genuinely recognising the inequality of current and historic emissions from rich nations vs poor and the impact thereof and supporting climate negotiations to compensate the later regarding it. Pretty much the position of most technical experts since day 1, and I would argue, supported by most people engaged who just want to do the right thing.

Then there's wilfully manipulating arguments and influencing opinion through misinformation so as to cause confusion, fatigue and apathy when it comes to taking action.

Some of the opinions above resemble the later which has been classic news corp shitfuckery over the last 20 years when it comes to climate change.

Criticise China = racist hypocrite
Don’t criticise China = woke hypocrite

Simple playbook.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Wednesday, 26 Jul 2023 at 12:01pm

I reckon one of the main issues lies not in the evidence, the data, nor the real time tracking of climate anomalies such as temperatures rising and sea ice melting etc…

- it’s not even about awareness or prevention or finding new ways of developing renewables and more sustainable energy sources.

(There is no disputing we need to explore and discover more alternatives.)

The developed world has a great and enduring imaginary greenwashing agenda, and an ongoing fascination with environmental virtue signalling… forever proposing and dictating conditions regarding emission reduction targets whilst promoting unproven and often nonsensical solutions.

Yet, as long as we are still dependent upon escalating wars under the guise of ‘defence’ or ‘national security’… and as long as our economic viability and growth (in Australia) are dependent upon such things as uranium mining and coal then everything is just talk. It’s still mainly a conceptual endeavour ;)

I get that it takes time to ‘transition’, I understand efforts are underway to formulate and enact better solutions…

- the western world and western power was pretty much built on environmental genocide. It’s a bit rich and totally hypocritical to pretend we can tell others how or why they need to curtail industrial output in accordance to our scientific hypothesis on the subject.

No different to trying to say others should stop whaling…
- I agree with the principles at play and support any progress on environmental solutions. Most people surely get that change needs to be implemented.

Coming from the developed world, though, it often does have an obvious tinge of superficial grandstanding - kind of like invading sovereign nations and destroying them and then saying it’s bad when others do so ;)

We can only lead by example in this domain, and there is enormous potential for inventing and implementing new industries or methods that can make our ongoing impact on the climate hopefully not as damaging nor as destructive.

But, in the meantime….. what fuels those tanks, and missiles, and fighter planes, and most modes of conventional transport (let alone private jets) and how exactly can we generate revenue beyond the realm of existing industries and still maintain ‘economic growth, employment and prosperity’ ?

Good luck to whoever has the answers ;)
- coz if there is anyone who has contributed most to the environmental destruction of our planet and whom continues to lead the world with catastrophic climate related behaviour …. It’s us !

Kind of odd we try call out places like india or china etc regarding emissions, air or water quality, or environmental pollution due to fossil fuels.

Then again, the west (with all its amazing advances and comforts and high standards of living) are still trying to set the very rules they continue to break ;)

https://m.

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Wednesday, 26 Jul 2023 at 1:47pm

@Craig…..And meanwhile in the North Atlantic

There were some massive floods in Nova Scotia recently, presumably linked to the warm water sitting off the coast?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 26 Jul 2023 at 4:55pm

Oh will have to scope. Very likely.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 26 Jul 2023 at 6:03pm
Jelly Flater wrote:

But, in the meantime….. what fuels those tanks, and missiles, and fighter planes, and most modes of conventional transport (let alone private jets) and how exactly can we generate revenue beyond the realm of existing industries and still maintain ‘economic growth, employment and prosperity’ ?

Good luck to whoever has the answers ;)

You'll love just who has one of the answers ;)

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17632-how-to-turn-seawater-into-j...

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Wednesday, 26 Jul 2023 at 7:41pm

.. and wait there’s more… reckon jelly will love the Ukraine war one.

https://theconversation.com/6-reasons-2023-could-be-a-very-good-year-for...

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Wednesday, 26 Jul 2023 at 8:28pm

;)

&pp=ygUWZmFpdGggbm8gbW9yZSBldmlkZW5jZQ%3D%3D

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 3:57pm

Kami bangsat!

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 2:24pm

could be interesting for some. Stu, I recall you've mentioned your wife/partner is doing a PhD on a related topic?

https://www.eianz.org/events/event/nsw-renewable-energy-in-the-illawarra

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 2:39pm
GreenJam wrote:

could be interesting for some. Stu, I recall you've mentioned your wife/partner is doing a PhD on a related topic?

https://www.eianz.org/events/event/nsw-renewable-energy-in-the-illawarra

Yep, right up her alley GreenJam.

Cheers

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 4 Aug 2023 at 1:34pm

https://au.news.yahoo.com/why-sprawling-aussie-neighbourhood-is-set-to-b...

"Last week, I raised an alarming statistic to my TikTok Audience.
In six months’ time, western Sydney will be the hottest place on earth. And no, I was not exaggerating.
The result? Instantly viral.

Thousands of comments and messages asked how we’ve got to this point. And while climate change is playing a factor, you might be surprised to know there’s a much bigger issue ‘boiling’ away in Western Sydney."

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 4 Aug 2023 at 1:46pm

You seen this Craig & Ben?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-04/south-america-extreme-heat-mid-wi...

Related to Antarctic ice?

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Saturday, 5 Aug 2023 at 11:44am

Little bit off topic from the above. My car is getting really old and slowly falling apart. I’m thinking about buying an electric car so I did a fair bit of research. Honestly, it still seems to be very cost prohibitive. Initial cost is huge but a lot of people will say that it offsets over time. I’m struggling to believe that. They just installed electric chargers in front of the nearby shops and the cost to charge is $0.60 per kw. Assuming you need around 20kws per 100kms the cost would be around $12. Equivalent petrol car can can do a 100km at 7-8l which is roughly also around $12.

This doesn’t make sense to me. Sure, you can charge at home for cheaper, offset with solar panels etc. But that’s obviously not a scalable model. It’s easier for large house homeowners who have the space and can do whatever they want with their homes. But renters, people living in units etc will struggle to find meaning in the EV market. Not sure what the strategy is here but I’m personally struggling to understand it.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 5 Aug 2023 at 1:11pm
flollo wrote:

Little bit off topic from the above. My car is getting really old and slowly falling apart. I’m thinking about buying an electric car so I did a fair bit of research. Honestly, it still seems to be very cost prohibitive. Initial cost is huge but a lot of people will say that it offsets over time. I’m struggling to believe that. They just installed electric chargers in front of the nearby shops and the cost to charge is $0.60 per kw. Assuming you need around 20kws per 100kms the cost would be around $12. Equivalent petrol car can can do a 100km at 7-8l which is roughly also around $12.

This doesn’t make sense to me. Sure, you can charge at home for cheaper, offset with solar panels etc. But that’s obviously not a scalable model. It’s easier for large house homeowners who have the space and can do whatever they want with their homes. But renters, people living in units etc will struggle to find meaning in the EV market. Not sure what the strategy is here but I’m personally struggling to understand it.

The other concern is re sale vale.

They are even more tech based than other cars, more like computers or phones the tech ages quickly and then you also have the fact batteries only have a certain life span.

Id love an EV, but the cost is the issue.

Going to be an interesting space to watch evolve.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Saturday, 5 Aug 2023 at 1:18pm

Another complexity to the EV, home battery and big battery technology based around lithium story:

Insurance costs could blow out with these the risk of quite radical fires:

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/will-insurance-costs-derail-ev-revol...

Some big incentives to find a better battery technology.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Saturday, 5 Aug 2023 at 1:30pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
flollo wrote:

They are even more tech based than other cars, more like computers or phones the tech ages quickly and then you also have the fact batteries only have a certain life span.

I reckon Chinese companies will make a killing. At the end of the day, I just want a normal car that doesn’t burn petrol. I don’t want all these other fancy things. When I see that big Tesla screen all I’m thinking about is one of my boys putting a foot through it. I reckon Chinese understand that and they will come up with basic day to day models that are reasonably priced.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 5 Aug 2023 at 1:57pm

"...Honestly, it still seems to be very cost prohibitive. Initial cost is huge but a lot of people will say that it offsets over time. I’m struggling to believe that. They just installed electric chargers in front of the nearby shops and the cost to charge is $0.60 per kw. Assuming you need around 20kws per 100kms the cost would be around $12. Equivalent petrol car can can do a 100km at 7-8l which is roughly also around $12..."

how surprising... that 'the market' and new found ' more efficenct' technology, slots right in where the old technology steps out...

(that's sarcasm)

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 5 Aug 2023 at 2:05pm

Do you need fossil fuels to make the batteries for electric vehicles?

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 5 Aug 2023 at 2:53pm
flollo wrote:

Hey Flollo, same boat. I've looked into it and it would depend if you keep cars long-term (like I've done - far less CO2 emitted if you don't upgrade every 3 years) - if you hold the EV long term and the battery comes up for renewal, would the cost of this a) be prohibitive to you in one hit or b) outweigh the used value of that car at that time (ie, cheaper to scrap the car).
Tesla batteries seem to be holding up well at that 8 year or so mark. I think the model 3 has 4 battery modules and Elon mentioned 5K-7K US to replace a module? I thought if it was 7K = 11+K AU to replace all modules that's OK as the rest of the car will be pretty much indestructible with few moving parts, if it's 4x that - this should be more than the used value at that time = scrap. Obviously battery technology should improve, as should recycling. If the battery gets to that 7KUS rather than the 20-50K horror stories out there, then EV is light years ahead in cost of ownership, especially if your solar can charge it yourself. My 2c.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 5 Aug 2023 at 3:02pm

Hey goofy

One from Volvo, who is doing well from EVs

https://insideevs.com/news/549267/manufacturing-evs-70percent-more-emiss...

Offset against far lower emissions once done and given all the articles and debate out there, it depends on who did the study...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 5 Aug 2023 at 3:01pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

Frog: yeah the fires bit is scary. A Tesla fan I know reckons there hasn't been one in a car in Aus yet.

In some ways, favouring absolute mechanical simplicity and reliability in whatever drivetrain and power system is used, is by far the most cost effective way.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 5 Aug 2023 at 3:06pm

Thank you vj, I’ll have a read later

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Saturday, 5 Aug 2023 at 3:34pm

Yes VJ the battery replacement cost is a huge deterrent. The current model heavily favours lease type of arrangements. Drive a new one for a few years, get rid of it and kick the problem to someone else. It will work for some people but scalability is a huge issue.

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Saturday, 5 Aug 2023 at 5:12pm
flollo wrote:

I reckon Chinese companies will make a killing. At the end of the day, I just want a normal car that doesn’t burn petrol. I don’t want all these other fancy things. When I see that big Tesla screen all I’m thinking about is one of my boys putting a foot through it. I reckon Chinese understand that and they will come up with basic day to day models that are reasonably priced.

BYD is a cheaper Chinese model with an acronym that can’t fail.
https://www.drive.com.au/showrooms/byd/

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 8 Aug 2023 at 7:22pm

In Alaska, glacial flooding from the rapid melting of the Mendenhall Glacier causes flash flooding every year.

Though this past weekend's overflow "smashed previous water-level records by nearly three feet. “It really exceeded our expectations,” said National Weather Service meteorologist Andrew Park, adding that it is “pretty devastating for the community.”

It took two houses with it and undermined others.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 8 Aug 2023 at 7:48pm

^^ Holy frik : /
That is just insane!

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 8 Aug 2023 at 8:17pm

Oh wow! Half way through the bottom clip it dawns on me the house in the background is the waterfront house in the first clip collapsing into the flow. That is insane. Is this a rapid result of the crazy prolonged high temps in the northern hemisphere lately?

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 8 Aug 2023 at 8:16pm

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Wednesday, 9 Aug 2023 at 10:10am

A glacial lake dammed by ice burst. Quite a common geological event on various scales in the long span of world history. Some release annually. Not this one obviously.

At the end of the ice age a massive dammed lake in Canada burst and the sudden flood stopped the Gulf Stream and created tsunamis that bounced around the world for a long time.

The end of the ice age had endless massive earthquakes and volcanic activity as the earth adjusted after the weight of billions of tonnes of ice was removed. Early humans watched in awe.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 9 Aug 2023 at 10:18am

Yeah this one has been releasing annually from about 2011 and this has been the biggest event since monitoring.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 10 Aug 2023 at 8:28pm

Went looking for an explanation of the recent NHemi heat and this was very good.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Thursday, 10 Aug 2023 at 10:03pm

Interesting YouTube VJ. Thanks for that.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 11 Aug 2023 at 6:39am

I'm just happy solar irradiance gets mentioned. For so long we were told it's a constant. And two things about it: this cycle is stronger than the last (and all the GSM anticipation), and it's not enough on it's own in this presentation to be the sole factor. I just want the magnetic stuff incorporated now.
Have a look at the sun (online, like at NASA, not with your own eyes in daylight!) at present, it's totally lit up with sunspots.

oxrox's picture
oxrox's picture
oxrox Friday, 11 Aug 2023 at 8:32am

Great vid VJ. Thanks

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 11 Aug 2023 at 9:18am

Yeah, great vid VJ.

Plenty of contributing factors, and that irradiance looks quite significant.

Re the sulphur, pretty nuts how that's been masking some of the heating that would of been otherwise occurring and is now apparent.

Check out the current state of the oceans around the world enhanced by El Niño..

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 11 Aug 2023 at 12:16pm

Currently reading through this paper, something from left field, but it must've been rad to live through it:

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abb8677

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Saturday, 12 Aug 2023 at 5:25pm

I went for a walk up kunanyi yesterday and I was a bit aghast at how dry it was. I've lived on the slopes of the mountain a few times over the years and I am pretty used to the creek levels and how wet certain tracks are this time of year, and some of them were basically dry. The ground wasn't damp to sit on in patches of wet sclerophyll gullies. It felt seriously wrong for the middle of August. I try not to take individual anecdotes like that and turn it into a panic, but given how the mountain connects to the suburbs and the city then it is beyond scary what might happen to us this summer.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 12 Aug 2023 at 5:51pm

I know that area Dan, it's a bit dry up this way too. Wondering if it'll be an Ash Wednesday kind of Feb/Mar... Here's last 6 months rainfall anomaly, you can see Strahan area and the west of Tassie has had above average while SE is dry

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/maps/rainfall/?variable=rainfall&map=anoma...

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 5 Sep 2023 at 5:30pm

Joizus!

views from the cockpit's picture
views from the cockpit's picture
views from the ... Wednesday, 6 Sep 2023 at 2:40am

Mmmm pretty colours but windy doesnt agree.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 6 Sep 2023 at 5:54am

Windy is lower res and doesn't pick up the higher intensity rainfalls.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/greece-historic-flooding-more-than-2-feet-o...

Google Greece floods and you'll get an idea on what's going down.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Wednesday, 6 Sep 2023 at 6:11am

communist eco cult trying to fabricate every weather event as the most extreme ever (but the data only goes back a few decades) and convert society into living under permanent covid style communist lockdown and control

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 6 Sep 2023 at 6:33am

They're onto us!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 6 Sep 2023 at 6:40am

Sigh..

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Wednesday, 6 Sep 2023 at 7:05am
Craig wrote:

Sigh..

Deary me. I agree with you Craig, what a tool.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Wednesday, 6 Sep 2023 at 8:50am

And definitely not the sharpest one in the shed. Wow, seen the flooding in Spain?

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Wednesday, 6 Sep 2023 at 10:07am

Communist eco cult believers of the world - unite! Europe is flooding! (Ignore the previous few hundred millions years of floods, they don’t fit the narrative we’re fabricating.) Bring down the evil, exploitative capitalist system and privileged heterosexual Christian white male oppressors! They are the cause of all my personal problems and all of humanity’s problems for all of eternity!