Interesting things too

factotum's picture
factotum started the topic in Thursday, 21 Nov 2019 at 2:21pm

For when one interesting things thread isn't enough.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 8:57pm

Yes VJ. Insane.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 8:59pm
southernraw wrote:
stunet wrote:

Dear me, old Uppy doesn't sound very well.

Hey Stu. Not my circus not my monkeys so will stay out of the back and forth.
But in the interest of a fair and balanced conversation.
I spoke to him today, I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning this.
But he's been surfing 10foot plus heavy heaving slabs in paradise. Waves heavier than i'd ever contemplate surfing.
I think his minds in a good place. And it was great to hear from him.
Nothing to do with the above but just thought i'd give you guys the heads up.

Great to hear all kudos to the man

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 9:51pm

@Southern,
"one venomous strike away....."
Nah, don't do that SR.
I'd miss you!
There's plenty of anti-venom on here for ya.
I'll send you some of mine. Might take a few doses to kick in with some species of Snake.
The Island Puff(ed Up )Adder thinks it's got a nasty bite, but it's more a harmless Yellow Belly, you can stomp loudly, let it know you see (right thru) it, and it runs away. Just noisy when it hisses.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 10:08pm

Adam12 you're a saint.
And you know what.
No venom needed.
Reflecting on my last post, i realise...this is a website for East coasters.
Until that changes, it's no place for me, or the good folk that reside on this side of the country.
And don't worry. Your heart is on this side. Good bloke as are so many on here.
I officially retire from SN. Godspeed all of you.
Keep up the good site.
I'll be keeping an eye on the articles.
Been a laugh. Cheers.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 10:09pm

We only have one species of snake on the Island, Copperhead's, while quite venomous, they aren't very aggressive and only strike when really provoked.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 10:49pm

"Reflecting on my last post, i realise...this is a website for East coasters.
Until that changes, it's no place for me, or the good folk that reside on this side of the country."

Nailed it in one SR, enjoy the sideshow

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 11:18pm

"Siri....
"What happens if you get bit by a copperhead snake?
-human fatalities from copperhead bites are extremely, extremely rare."

"what happens if you get bit by an Island dunderhead snake?
-nothing, they are so stupid they can only inflict pain on themselves, usually by biting their own tails"
Ta Siri."

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 11:46pm

"Siri
One more follow up...
How do you know when an Island dunderhead snake is approaching?
-they are quite easy to identify, even at distance, are usually blind in one eye and cannot see or sense one half of the environment and tend to focus only on the other, obsessively, which causes them to slither in ever diminishing circles. They also make a distinctive sound when challenged, which when heard sounds like 'sssssssssssssssssimphamasssssssssssimp'
Thanks Siri, that's enough for now"

eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies Friday, 26 Jan 2024 at 12:12am

Southern
Please keep coming here
Luv your perspective

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 26 Jan 2024 at 9:50am

Kind of weird how people think Swellnet " is a website for East coasters"

How so?

Because admin and business might be located there?

I cant see any bias or overall focus on the east coast especially considering, from Bells to Noosa is where most of Australia's waves are located and where most of Australia's population and surfers live, so even if swellnet and admin were located elsewhere this area would always receive a lot of attention.

Surely the guys in SA & WA aren't wanting more wave of the day pics or articles on waves and surfing in SA & WA? .....Or more surf reports or cams?

BTW. of the 20+ articles currently on the front page, three of them are focussed on SA (two around shark attacks, one around a SA phytoplankton bloom), the other Australia geographical focussed articles are two snapper rocks videos, and article on Humidity Over Eastern Australia and an article on Northern Australia and at least three have an international focus.

Balance looks fine to me, but each to their own.

Anyway Happy Australia day

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 26 Jan 2024 at 10:01am
adam12 wrote:

@Southern,
"one venomous strike away....."
Nah, don't do that SR.
I'd miss you!
There's plenty of anti-venom on here for ya.
I'll send you some of mine. Might take a few doses to kick in with some species of Snake.
The Island Puff(ed Up )Adder thinks it's got a nasty bite, but it's more a harmless Yellow Belly, you can stomp loudly, let it know you see (right thru) it, and it runs away. Just noisy when it hisses.

I was thinking more along the lines of some sort of parasitic slug or leech myself ….

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 26 Jan 2024 at 11:55am
southernraw wrote:

Adam12 you're a saint.
And you know what.
No venom needed.
Reflecting on my last post, i realise...this is a website for East coasters.
Until that changes, it's no place for me, or the good folk that reside on this side of the country.
And don't worry. Your heart is on this side. Good bloke as are so many on here.
I officially retire from SN. Godspeed all of you.
Keep up the good site.
I'll be keeping an eye on the articles.
Been a laugh. Cheers.

good stuff, maybe see you when we go bushwalking down the south coast next time.

Expat WA here, and yes the site has an east coast focus (not condemning this, it is what it is), what has the West got now, used to have sro surf back in the day... Probably a lot of insta channels...

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Friday, 26 Jan 2024 at 12:01pm

Hey Southern

I would be happy to change the date of Australia Day .

Sir John Monash lead Australians and New Zealanders into battle at Le Hamel , Amiens on the 4th of July 1918 .

A battle that changed WW1 and , arguably , put Australia on the World Map .

Change the date to the 4th of July ( same as the US which is cool with me ( maybe not Trumpy )) .

Would this be an acceptable suggestion for FNP ?

Pop

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 26 Jan 2024 at 12:09pm

just a quick look over at SRO surf's Perth report for the day (are they the SN reporter?)

dunno, but liked the honesty and the final bit:

"WIND:Fresh E.
WAVES:Ankle high.

SUMMARY:
Not looking good with the beach breaks basically flat. Fantastic conditions, but no surf. A few lightning bolts getting chucked around out to sea if ya keen for a look.

Rating: 0 out of 10. Grom Froth Rating: 0.5 out of 10.
Support your local shaper, support your local surf shop.

RECOMENDED BOARD FOR TODAY:
One from a West Australian company."

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 26 Jan 2024 at 12:59pm

Can't be recent. Today there's actually waves.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Friday, 26 Jan 2024 at 1:55pm

Check the date VJ, its very rarely updated these days, that was for Monday 13/11/23 Report filed: 07:30am

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Friday, 26 Jan 2024 at 1:57pm

Steady on Craig, waves in Perth hahaha

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 26 Jan 2024 at 7:54pm

Yeah copy that, little birds informed me the early wasn't as flash as the report suggests for today at Scabs.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Saturday, 27 Jan 2024 at 10:37am

With the surf in Perth being so so shit, any decent surf reporter has to spice it up a bit :)

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Saturday, 27 Jan 2024 at 11:49pm

Cheers folks. Retired lifes good! Very good. haha.
Honestly, it's well overdue for this weary keyboard battler.
But there's no denying good ol Swellnet was a place that i could come to escape a bit of trauma and get a few things off my chest.
Thanks to all that listened, cared and shared. It's been an absolute privelege.
Swellnet. You guys are sitting on a goldmine. And i don't mean monetarily. For the spirit of surfing. But i hope it rewards you with the dividends you deserve out of it. An untouched slice of the modern surfing pie that will be viewed with reverence as the years tick by.
Take care all of ya. And there's many...you know exactly who you are.
Yew!!

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Sunday, 28 Jan 2024 at 12:07am

And i scored a WOTD on here.
Immortalized!
Hahaha.
So much gratitude.
Thankyou.

old-dog's picture
old-dog's picture
old-dog Sunday, 28 Jan 2024 at 9:17am

I hope you come back, one of the realest people on here. It sounds like you are staying one step ahead of the zombie apocalypse from the east.

A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog Sunday, 28 Jan 2024 at 9:37am

Best Wishes southernraw, I hope all goes well for you.

Public forums can be an informative but frustrating place, but ultimately there are much better things to do than endlessly pound away on a keyboard. Never let it dominate your life.

Hoping you score many a perfect wave!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 27 Feb 2024 at 1:28pm

?si=Dijc2xgXN7-Ty9nk

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Wednesday, 13 Mar 2024 at 5:02pm
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Thursday, 14 Mar 2024 at 10:22am
Island Bay wrote:

Eric Haas

https://www.surfersjournal.com/editorial/the-archivist-moiolelo-o-ka-nalu/

What a legend. I saw Eric Haas ( didn't know who he was until afterward) appear out of the mist after he paddled out from sharks Cove to surf Waimea ( basically shortcutting paddle from behind the point ,nuts in itself but he was wearing a baseball (maybe gridiron?) Outfit long weird knicker bocker style shorts and a big jersey , he had a canoe paddle which he somehow managed to have wedged under him as he paddled and then used it like a sup once up and riding ( this was years before sups) , no leggie, eyes rolling around in his head and talking to himself , full wildman ,crazy or high or both .
Caught a bunch of waves , didn't fall , didn't lose his board or paddle.
Sure don't make em like that any more

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 14 Mar 2024 at 10:32am

From the hard copy of that issue. Haas having a dig on Kauai,

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Thursday, 14 Mar 2024 at 10:35am

Holy heck, that's a wave!

Interesting man.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 14 Mar 2024 at 10:46am

Wow interesting story...

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Thursday, 14 Mar 2024 at 6:51pm

And interesting ding repair. 12'0 Lyle Carlson single.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 14 Mar 2024 at 8:27pm
stunet wrote:

From the hard copy of that issue. Haas having a dig on Kauai,

Is that the mythical H-bay? Don't think I've actually ever seen a photo of it...

That article above of Eric is wild, is he still with us?

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 14 Mar 2024 at 9:55pm

Wild indeed , really enjoyed that article, hope he’s doing ok wherever he is .

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Friday, 15 Mar 2024 at 4:12am
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 15 Mar 2024 at 8:38am

Thanks ib, went down the Haas internet rabbit hole last night.
Some of the stories are pretty outrageous!
Surfing massive wind blown onshore outer reefs solo, paddling out to huge Backyards with a swim fin tucked into his boardies solo at dawn after being up partying all night etc etc

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Friday, 15 Mar 2024 at 9:24am

Glad you enjoyed it too, goof.

I'd heard bits and pieces about him, but did a bit of a rabbit hole thing the other day and was fascinated. Would love to see some footage of him.

And he's a good antidote to the Wozzle blandness of Kanoa's Shisedo adds and unboxing stuff with Koa Smith. Far canal!

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 15 Mar 2024 at 10:12am

Kinda reminded me of the days when Tracks (as a newspaper-style publication) used to have regular full-page articles/interviews with random people who surfed.
Might have been artists or musicians or philosophers or whatever, but they were generally people who weren't "names" in the surfing world who happened to surf and were interesting.
Dale Egan, Terepai Richmond and Peter Singer come to mind.
Was always a great read.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 16 Mar 2024 at 7:26pm

I'm not a Gambling Man.....But Iron Mike wants this Win
Think i ll put some Bucks on Mike !
Farkn Animal

?si=SI3oGVly5wuUCycx
?si=AAugkTXUbDJxEF2I

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Saturday, 16 Mar 2024 at 9:08pm

Iron Mike at 58 moving way faster than Kelly.

Back him against Toledo at Pipe.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Sunday, 17 Mar 2024 at 11:08am

Wow, he's very impressive. So fast and so powerful!

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Sunday, 17 Mar 2024 at 1:02pm

Mike Tyson in his prime skipping rope. Amazing speed and control.

?feature=shared

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 28 Mar 2024 at 4:50pm

Who brainwashed the millennials?

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2024/03/who-brainwashed-the-millennials/

"Within the present flux of Australian ideologies, the one worldview I struggle to identify with most is that dogging Millennials.

At least within their media representatives, the progressive mindset that defines the generation appears to be the culmination of decades of Hegelian dialectical evolution.

Hegel’s thesis of master and slave philosophy proposes (rightly, in my view) that underclasses are more on the ball than elites, which, over time, becomes a mechanism that drives social progress via thesis, antithesis and synthesis.

I think we can see this in the progression of generations. We saw thesis in the Greatest Generation and their wars for freedom.

This gave way to antithesis in the Boomers and Gen X, who expressed hard-won freedoms through self-actualisation in social and economic liberalism.

Then, along come the Millennials, and we have a synthesis. A generation of immensely admirable globalised kids with a powerful post-colonial mentality that combines the fight against fascism of the Greatest Generation and self-expression through the economic and social liberalism of the Boomers that champions the marginalised.

Yet something has gone horribly wrong in this fusion.

In their apotheosis, Millennial generations became so altruistic and historically aware that they lost the capability to empower their own interests within the nation-state structure.

This points to one feature of troubled Millennial psychology. Bred in the era of climate change and its global solutions, the nation-state has ceased to have meaning as a mechanism for political change.

The second perversion of Millennial political expression is that their educations were dominated by a small group of frustrated French Marxists who became nihilist theorists and erased human structures as a source of meaning.

If that wasn’t enough for our kids to deal with, global corporatism and social media emerged simultaneously and occupied the globalism being taught in our schools.

International propaganda engines with unprecedented reach and power thus captured Millennial political expression.

All three of these forces are functions of global capital. The forces of production were thoroughly happy to emphasise the social over the economic because it swept away class consciousness. A fundamental threat to profits.

We must add a fourth production force in Australia that shaped Millennial mindsets.

Over the past three decades, the Aussie economy has transformed from a diverse developed market to a hyper-concentrated politico-housing complex. A merger of Canberra, monetary policy, and banks made housing inflation the centre of Australian economic life.

A part of this devolution was the shift of the media from an objective gatekeeper of truth to a purveyor of property propaganda in aid of its own declining profits.

This has helped create a perpetual phony political discourse that promotes fake solutions to an immigration-led housing catastrophe that knows no bounds.

And so we come to today. Millennials are developing into a political force. They have it in their power to undo the forces of production that have evicted them from their most basic economic right: a roof over their heads.

Yet, instead, their spokespeople in the Greens, Labor, and press are so indoctrinated into the globalist mindset that they are unable to address the interests of their generation.

As the politico-housing complex moves from marginalising Millennials from home ownership to erasing their right to rent a bare roof and four walls, Millennial political responses are hopelessly complex, enervated, and obtuse.

Often, they are so poorly conceived that they support the abuse of their interests as a generation.

The last few days have witnessed extensive Millennial debate on these issues at The Guardian and ABC, yet in both cases, mass immigration was not mentioned as a cause or solution.

How can hours and hours of intensive debate overlook the simple solution of slashing immigration to end the rental crisis and deflate house prices over the long term?

This is typical of Millennial propaganda. It censors or cancels anything it disagrees with.

This is far more destructive to Millennial prospects than the media of capital, which invites all kinds of people on but uses commentary attack dogs to deliver its frame of reference.

Millennial discourse is born from the French theorists mentioned above, who proposed that language is power and that the erasure of specific words changes reality.

The problem is, it doesn’t. All it achieves is the self-brainwashing of a generation turned useful idiots of the very forces of production that marginalise them from their economic rights.

We created a generation of humans perfect enough to inhabit the Starship Enterprise but so over-conscious of historical burden that it cannot meet its own needs.

Let alone the political truth that change never comes easy, is always offensive, and doesn’t happen without violence of one kind or another.

I admire the Millennial values greatly, but they are the most rorted generation in modern history and need to rediscover class and nation-state politics.

Otherwise, the Hegelian march of liberal history will stop at a Millennial brick wall of progressive self-destruction."

--

A very perceptive piece. It's been just so puzzling that they have seemed to champion causes that will see them without housing and the ability to raise children comfortably, like they are giving themselves away to extinction or replacement. Correctly identified are those causative, dastardly Marxists whose thought now dominates our universities - as gsco continually reminds us. And it plays wonderfully into the hands of profit, as others have pointed out. All synthesised into one succinct article. Bravo.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 28 Mar 2024 at 5:10pm

^ I'm glad gsco is finally getting published, and has replaced cliche rhetoric with self-aware, self-consciously general terms - makes fer feeling less bludgeoned over the head. I like that his thesis is 'why aren't millennials more out for themselves?' - makes it easy to discern the perspective from which it is written. Silver-bullet theories. Bravo.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Thursday, 28 Mar 2024 at 6:09pm

I don't agree at all , with the article , I think .

My eldest daughter is 22 so , perhaps a Millie .

She is not at fault for any of our problems or ways we do things ffs !

She is fn sensible and is saving 2 buy a home with her boyfriend .

She is NOT Woke .

She understand good v evil .

She asks questions and doesn't tell anyone else , what to do .

Bloody normal kids , that are tech savvy !

Young kids are supposed 2B a bit lefty , its good and they grow out of it , usually , sometimes haha !

I am thinking this is another , Silent Majority Mob , Hit Job .

The Minority of Millies , are to bloody noisey are a nuisance .

Like that funny Senator , that stopped the Mardi Party .

Hilary Clinton is noisey and not a Millie .

The Majority , are 2 busy and can't be bothered fighting , 2B heard .

Kids are Cool and will Rule .

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 28 Mar 2024 at 6:06pm

Haha, I think it might be a kindred spirit basesix.

Here's another good piece, worth a full read, which shows the economic realities:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-28/data-on-30-year-old-australians-s...

"When Clementine thinks about the year she turned 30, she remembers having a feeling that anything was achievable.

“By 31, that feeling turned into … something more cautious. I think my whole demographic is becoming quite cautious compared to, say, my parents’ generation,” she says."

The experience of my age group was different, economic kick to the guts straight out of school into the 90's recession. For worse and then better I guess.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 28 Mar 2024 at 6:05pm

22 is Gen Z Pops.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Thursday, 28 Mar 2024 at 6:16pm

I checked (haha ) and she was on the cusp VJ .

I must admit I get confused with the Z, Y , X's and even La Niña's and El Salvador's a lot .

Generational Cultural change does happen .

My Mum is still , incredibly thrifty , after living through Wars and Depressions .

The Basic Cultural Values are still exactly the same .

Guys like Martin Luther King , describe them so well .

Family always come first .

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Thursday, 28 Mar 2024 at 6:32pm
Pop Down wrote:

I checked (haha ) and she was on the cusp and I thought I might sneak her in , VJ .

I must admit I get confused with the Z, Y , X's and even La Niña's and El Salvador's a lot .

Generational Cultural change does happen .

My Mum is still , incredibly thrifty , after living through Wars and Depressions .

The Basic Cultural Values are still exactly the same .

Guys like Martin Luther King , describe them so well .

Family always come first .

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 28 Mar 2024 at 7:00pm

(sorry, it's an aside VJ, did you post a galaxy thing about where shows like firefly, etc might have been set?)

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 31 Mar 2024 at 12:09pm

Hey basesix yes I did, I think it's in the vids other than surfing thread. For the sci fi lovers

Dune 2 is epic btw