# The Wim Hof method #

udo's picture
udo started the topic in Saturday, 4 May 2019 at 8:55am

Interesting fellow with scientific proof to some of his claims

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 4 May 2019 at 9:28am

I have always done the cold water blast for a few seconds at the end of a hot shower
couldnt cope with a ice bath

Veronica Jelinkova U tube vids explain whats go on in the body when following the WHM.

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Saturday, 4 May 2019 at 10:53am

A couple of years back I toyed with the wim Hoff breathing method. Intense stuff, like a shot of adrenaline was the only way to describe it. So much so I started to wonder whether it was actually healthy or not and stopped. There's probably good science behind it but I'm keen to understand the risks aswell. The cold water therapy is a no brainer good for you, people been doing that for centuries.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 4 May 2019 at 11:00am

Interesting udo. I used to regularly come in shivering and still often stay out until I feel cold. There may be some benefit in it but there is well established risk associated with intense exercise in the cold prior to adjusting to it. When you are exposed to cold your body pumps blood away from the skin, this requires a significant amount of work from your heart before you add to it by paddling. I know of a number of heart attacks that have been caused by this including one tragically fatal event. With winter coming on it is worth while remembering to start slowly in cold water. I avoid rock offs in cold conditions if they are likely to require an immediate intense paddling effort.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 9 May 2019 at 9:12am

Science behind the Wim Hof method PierreCapel - utube
if you have 25 mins to spare this is good.