Patagonia wetsuits

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot started the topic in Thursday, 14 Feb 2019 at 5:48pm

After shivering my way through the last few winters with a cheapish RipCurl 4/3 I’ve been looking at spending a bit more this winter and getting a quality suit.
Anyone had experience with Patagonia 4/3 fullsuits? Any feedback would be great.
Cheers

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 14 Feb 2019 at 5:49pm

Thanks

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 14 Feb 2019 at 6:36pm

i have a R2 and R4, hooded, but guessing you'd be looking at the R3? the R4 would be too warm for Victoria.

Quality is superb. Some say flex is a eit of an issue, i don't really notice it.. I surf a lot and I'm into my third season in the R4 and fourth in the R2. Couple of pin holes around the knees in the R4 but not an issue. Both going strong.

Pricey but you can buy online off-season and pick one up for pretty good prices. Check the UK sites and look for specials. May be a bit extra with weak $AUD but worth it imo.

As a side, people rate O'Neills- i think they're crap. Never had a decent one yet.

good booties though.

btw, Patagonia gloves wear out really quick, don't
buy them.

geek's picture
geek's picture
geek Thursday, 14 Feb 2019 at 9:14pm

you can never have a suit too warm for mid-winter Victoria! If you're an XL goofy Patagonia have an R3 at 40% off right now, can't go wrong. https://www.patagonia.com.au/collections/mens-sale/products/mens-r-3-yul...

I wear a hooded 5/4 xcel drylock I picked up on MSW store half price a couple years ago and it is amazing. They do free postage from UK too, should be some good sales soon with their winter coming to an end

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 14 Feb 2019 at 9:36pm

Thanks Zen and geek.
Yeah been looking at the R3 Zen, every one I’ve spoken too has said they are super warm and love them.
Thanks geek I noiticed they have a sale on at the moment, I’m not an xl but I’ll see if they have my size. I remember xcel wetties always did well in the wetsuits reviews the mags do.
Spoilt for choice now days hey
Cheers guys

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Friday, 15 Feb 2019 at 7:01am

I've got an R3 and for the first two years I wore it all winter long (in Southern Tassie). It feels much more like a 3/2 to me than an 4/3 in terms of flexibility. It's probably close to 4 years old now and there's a few things falling apart but it still doesn't leak in water.

I've got a Needs Essential with built in hood for the coldest days here now, and it works well. Everyone I know with an R4 finds them too warm for most of the year, so an R3 is definitely your bet!

tux's picture
tux's picture
tux Friday, 15 Feb 2019 at 7:53am

I had an R2 and it was super warm but there sizing is a lot smaller and the flex made getting in and out of the chest zip an issue....it was warmer than the quicky (4/3) suits I usually wear....I've also got an Xcel Comp Infinity 3/2 thats surprisingly warm and I wore through most of last winter

GODS QUAD's picture
GODS QUAD's picture
GODS QUAD Friday, 15 Feb 2019 at 9:12am

Goofy, jump onto the Patagonia site right now. 40% sale. Picked up a new wettie on there yesterday at a bargain.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 15 Feb 2019 at 9:33am

Hot tip from the big fella.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Saturday, 16 Feb 2019 at 3:46pm

Some more advice, please.

Keen to get a good 3/2 type wettie for Wellington summers (I know...). Any of you have experience with the R1? Sounds like it should be warm enough for 15-17C water, or?
And then to sizing. I'm 6'1 x 180 (185 x 80kg). Not muscly, but wide shoulders. Normally I fit an L, but they sound like they are on the small side? Only L and XL are available.
Cheers

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Saturday, 16 Feb 2019 at 5:09pm

IB, I’ve got an old R2 that has served me well in Oz SE and SW coasts.

For sizing I have a “Med Short”
5’11, 77kg. Lean with wide shoulders.
Fits well. Went to the website to try and get a deal but sold out of everything except XL by the looks of things

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 16 Feb 2019 at 7:58pm

I'm 6' and 90kg, XL fits me perfectly.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Saturday, 16 Feb 2019 at 8:22pm

Thanks, guys.

Large will probably do the trick.

What temps do you use your R2 in zenagain?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 16 Feb 2019 at 8:35pm

Shoulder season here in northern Japan- late spring,autumn.

Air temperature fluctuates, but water temp in the 13-17deg range I'm guessing.

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Saturday, 16 Feb 2019 at 9:51pm

IB...
If you dip out on getting a good buy on the website sale for an R2 and price is a consideration...I can't recommend a Need essentials highly enough. Thermal lined 3/2 is $240 and got me through temps from 15-18 easily. They have a good sizing chart on their website too and recommend if you're close to the top end of the scale to go up a size. Hope this helps bru...

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 16 Feb 2019 at 10:58pm

Scored a Mt r3 during the sale on the website yesterday. Thanks for the recommendations guys, winter can’t come soon enough..