Happy Australia day !!!!

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Thursday, 25 Jan 2018 at 10:03am

Sure the long weekend officially starts tomorrow, but patience has never been my strong suit and today is just too damn fine to waste with thoughts of routine So I’ve kicked this thing off early.

Actually started with a bang last night as another earthquake shook me from sleep. It was a stinker of a night . Building up to some monsoonal activity and the hot , still nights are here with a vengeance. Laying with the sheets bunched on the floor and the air from the fan brushing my skin.

Then I was woken by the Big Fella of the mob of greys that gets around the traps. He seemed to think that indoors was the place to be. First time I’ve seen a kangaroo trying to negotiate a fly screen door. Stupid prick.

Third event for the night and it sounds like someone’s after my tinny - the Sea Wok . Throw on some shorts and bolt down the path to investigate straight into an industrial sized spiders web. Still asleep , I actually feel the Big Golden orb running across my chest trying to escape.

The boat was fine . The spider and myself came to an agreement to stay the fuck away from each other from now on. Back to bed.

Woke up bleary to a perfect day. Northerly beats me to the punch . Surfing’s out so it’s coffees at the kiosk then a quick dive to spear some lunch.

Fish in the fridge , the days heating up and I’m planning on cracking my first beer at 14:30.

Feel free to join me.

Time to take stock of the incredible life we’ve got in this amazing country.

You might not like the premise, but I reckon this holiday rules. It’s the celebration of Australia at its peak. Everyone has let go of the old year and made inroads on the next. The craziness and release of the Chrissy / New Years is behind us and the summer has been wrung of every bit of fun available. The caravan parks and coastal towns are still chockers but the last hurrah is upon us. It’s been great and I’ve had a ball.

So raise a glass or an ice cream or a halal salad or whatever the fuck you want in recognition of how good we’ve got it here under Huey’s benevolent gaze.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 27 Jan 2019 at 1:26pm

Youve definitely found the right literary medium there , BB.

Now you’ve got unimpeded justification for your unfounded sentiments. You’ve just got to claim poetic license to explain your bullshit.

“ When men were men and men were white “ OMFG.

I actually laughed at that one.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 27 Jan 2019 at 1:20pm

Last line did it for me.

Ya gotta laugh!!!!

D-Rex's picture
D-Rex's picture
D-Rex Sunday, 27 Jan 2019 at 1:31pm

Don't get your knickers in such a knot, Blowie. BB is just saying we must all be racists because we don't agree with his guilt-ridden opinions.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 27 Jan 2019 at 1:56pm

BB is quite literally saying that it’s racist to expect two people born side by side to be considered equal.

He can’t squirm away from that fact no matter how much horrifyingly bad prose he pens.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 27 Jan 2019 at 1:57pm

Equal treatment is not equity. Guilt? Who me? Ha ha ha I actually score quite well on the dark triad.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Sunday, 27 Jan 2019 at 2:03pm

Struth how do you defend a date(other than its a long weekend) that doesn't represent in anyway Australia's identity and yet is divisive weaponized by political dogs.

FFS its the day England lay claim to a colony. For morons there were no states, constitution, federation SFA nothing that is representative of today's Australia.

The indigenous rightly point to the fact that its a heavy deal for them why wouldn't you hear that?

If not is Australia still about a fair go?

Blowin seriously who gives a flying f...k about some sign.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 27 Jan 2019 at 3:16pm

This is epic

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 27 Jan 2019 at 3:24pm

Yeah , filled in a bit of time in an otherwise very slow morning.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 27 Jan 2019 at 3:47pm

@ I focus

How does the date not represent Australias Identity?

Identity generally being based on history, traditions, culture, language and politics.

Without the events that happened on the 26th January

Australia would not be a British colony

Australia would not have a British based modern history.

Australia would not have a legal and political system based on the British systems

Australias main language would most likely not be English.

The day is the most important event to shape what Australias identity is today.

It's actually the most important and historic date in Australias modern history, including having the most history of any unique Australian date since re-settlement.

If not please point me to a date unique to Australia with more history and significance?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 27 Jan 2019 at 4:47pm

European history represents 1/250th of the actual human history of the place but hey who do these indigenous people think they are expecting to have THEIR history included?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 27 Jan 2019 at 6:27pm

Can we kill the personal attacks please? It’s pretty boring.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 27 Jan 2019 at 6:28pm

There has been a long history here of denying Aboriginal history and identity. Again go back to the Adam Goodes and s44 forum topics to read who said what. The questioning of identity based on the colour of a person's skin was a nadir. All out of an Andrew Bolt wet dream. So there is nothing new in this pattern of cultural denialism and denigration all dressed up as polite discussion for discussion sake. Lipstick on a pig.

Loosing patience fast here .... best say no more before I force Stu to shut it down.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 27 Jan 2019 at 6:35pm

Indo writes "If not please point me to a date unique to Australia with more history and significance?"

Well for starters. 26/1 is "NSW centric". That's NSW's birthday not Australias.
It wasn't until the states of Australia had several referendums AND a team of state representatives travelled to the UK to meet with British Establishment that "Australia" and ALL OF IT'S states came to be.
Now those who actually know of Australian History, not just NSW history,would be well aware of these 2 dates. July 9, 1900........ And January 1st, 1901.

July 9 1900 was the day QUEEN VICTORIA SIGNED AUSTRALIAS "freedom" so to speak - "Queen Victoria's Commission of Assent to the Commonwealth of Australia Constitution Act 9 July 1900"

Now, having no internet or phones lol, It took till Jan 1st 1901 for those here in Australia to enact it.
But I find either of those 2 dates far more palatable than NSW settlement day.

Another date that should be looked at is the day aborigines were counted as "humans" - the referendum of 1967..... 27 may. I suppose the date it became law too - Aug 10 1967

So there's 4 dates for you, Indo;
May 27
July 9
August 10
January 1

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 27 Jan 2019 at 7:10pm

Who didn’t have a good time yesterday ?

End of January is an awesome time for a holiday. We need a long weekend to round out the Chrissy holidays , any fucking idiot recognises that. Call it whatever you want. Call it Eternal Black Supremacy Day if you want , if it makes your complete severance from indigenous life palatable and satisfies your media induced guilt.

Every day is a holiday for me , but I LOVE celebrating with other people.

Let me know when the media / academics who represent 0.000001 percent of the population have determined how we should live our lives.

Of course, by then they’ll have shifted the goalposts and you’ll have to jump to their next demand and then the next...etc etc .

Purely living alongside our black brothers and sisters isn’t enough for the vested interests and the power brokers , the politicians and the ladder climbers . They need confrontation and conflict. Black vs White . In order to generate interest in themselves and to justify their careers.

As I’ve said before , I’m lucky enough to enjoyed the company of what racial divisionist’s would call blackfellas. And I use that term for your benefit because to me they are just people I’ve met and enjoyed their company. The fact that I’m even mentioning it is playing into the hands of those who would divide us by race.

Kununurra, Port Hedland, Karratha, Carnarvon, Wyndham , Bowraville , Broome , Tom Price , Onslow , Wickham , Roeburn , Kempsey, Paraburdoo, Townsville, Albany , Perth amongst others are all towns I can honestly say that I’ve had a blackfella who I’d call a mate , if not a friend.

So if you really want to call me out for racism , maybe you want to question your connections to our dark skinned mates before you start talking your shit.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 27 Jan 2019 at 7:07pm

Sorry Sheepdog those dates don't go as far back in our history and haven't changed the shape of Australias as we know it like the 26th Jan has.

And we don't have a history of celebrating or giving much acknowledgement to those dates, most people wouldn't even know half those dates.

They also don't have any significance holiday wise like the 26th Jan which was the first Public Holiday in Australia, not to mention all fall on terrible dates for a public holiday, Jan 1st complete waste half the country is hung over and don't go to work, all the other dates fall at times of year when weather in many states no great for a BBQ etc

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 27 Jan 2019 at 8:30pm

From an Aboriginal person (Old article but she also had a lot to say this year about Australia day)

"Indigenous Alice Springs town councillor Jacinta Nampijinpa Price says aboriginal people have become professional mourners and it’s time it stopped.

Ms Price, the daughter of former CLP politician Bess Price and an active campaigner against indigenous domestic violence, posted a stinging Facebook attack against those protesting about the date the nation celebrates Australia Day.

The post went viral, surging past 100,000 likes, more than 30,000 shares and her comments winning praise.

Ms Price said there was no need to change Australia Day and people who celebrated on January 26 need not feel guilty.

“I keep hearing that aboriginal people want to change the date of Australia Day, well what about the aboriginal people who don’t want to change the date?” Ms Price wrote.

“It is the aboriginal middle class who are concerned about date changes. Those pushing the agenda come from privilege themselves in comparison to the aboriginal people most marginalised.

“I’m sure if we are pressured enough to change the date then there will be something else for aboriginal middle class activists and guilt ridden white fellas to be offended about.

Alice Springs councillor Jacinta Price believes there is no need to change the date of Australia Day. PICTURE: Emma Murray
Ms Price says present indigenous problems should be fixed ahead of what has past.

“Why aren’t these people as concerned about the aboriginal people affected by domestic violence, alcohol and drug abuse?” she said.

“People want to call it a day of mourning. Us aboriginal people have become professional mourners … we are constantly in a state of mourning. What do we have to benefit from being in a constant state of mourning? Mourning does not give us freedom, it imprisons us ... I’ve had enough.

“I want everyone to have opportunity. I want to pull my people out of their crippling state of mourning and I don’t want anyone to feel bad or guilty for feeling joy and celebrating a country we love.”

.https://www.ntnews.com.au/news/northern-territory/alice-springs-councill...

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Sunday, 27 Jan 2019 at 7:17pm

@ID

"The day is the most important event to shape what Australias identity is today."

Hmm no its not Australians have long rejected being associated as English.

Other than groveling monarchist twits I don't know any Australians who identify with the British, even in war Australian troops refused to serve under British officers who complained about their behaviour (refusing to respect them due to their social status).

Note changing the date is not about deigning British heritage.

Given the Queen is still our head of state (can you believe it?) and that we have a day off to celibate her birthday is more than enough IMHO.

The fact we have the union Jack on our flag is more than enough (I don't agree having it there)

Australia day is for all to celibate who we are not just the English heritage.

We are now a multicultural country that's fast becoming Asian

For a in your face evidence of harm check out the photos of Indigenous men in chains and leg irons (north west WA) being sent to Rottnest to die for objecting to colonists taking their land.

There are people today related to those men

What do you think happened to their women and children (go on the dole?)

Why would you exclude the indigenous from that celebration?

Why wouldn't we give them a fair go?

We were once the whitest nation of people in the world (don't remember what decade) we are no longer FFS get over it and move on just show just a hint of empathy.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 27 Jan 2019 at 7:29pm

My mother was born in England (but lived all around the world growing up) so i guess I'm half British, I've never been to England and i don't really have any desire to do so, everything I've seen about the place i find depressing and the accents are annoying.

And I'm 100% for a republic.

But reality is like I've pointed out, the British came here and gave birth to modern Australia and we are heavily influenced by that and it is part of our identity (as I've pointed out in points)

Even if we wanted to we can't change that.

Anyway I'm assuming you were still typing your post out before i posted the above article.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 27 Jan 2019 at 10:02pm

Indo writes
"not to mention all fall on terrible dates for a public holiday, Jan 1st complete waste half the country is hung over and don't go to work, all the other dates fall at times of year when weather in many states no great for a BBQ etc"

So even though Australia was BORN ON JAN 1st, you'd write that off due to people being hung over??????? That kinda says a lot. It says you dont care that Australia gained independence and became its OWN COUNTRY on 1/1/1901. bahahahahaha........ Gold medal effort.. Countries with true culture would not give a damn about "inconvenience"...
If hangovers are more important than the birth of Australia, then why give a fuck about the 26th? Why should move it out of the kids holiday period, so we can have a piss up in late october.. I mean no long weekend since the queens birthday maaaaaaaaate....
And speaking of the queens birthday holiday in June, The footy codes love it!! People pre book games and air flights.... Pies v Dees MCG... The snow resorts are packed for the long week end. So WTF is wrong with Australia day in winter?
Roast lamb, footy , snow skiing, winter swells, bon fires..
I mean you really dont give a fuck if hangovers are a concern right?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 28 Jan 2019 at 6:56am

Pretty boring to wake up and see the personal attacks overnight, and it's a pain in the arse to have to sift through a night's worth of vitriol to delete posts.

Because, it would appear that there's a few people that are interested in a robust debate. 

So this thread is now closed.

I recommend that anyone feeling the need to sling shit on the forums take a deep breath, go for a paddle or a body whomp for a couple of hours, and then reevaluate whether it's really worthwhile.

Remember, you're only arguing on the internet.