Dean Morrison at it again

staitey's picture
staitey started the topic in Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 8:34am

Now I know this topic to some may be like complaining about the heat in Alice Springs but here goes anyway.

Was out on the Snapper stretch on Saturday afternoon. Smaller than I thought it was going to be, barely any sweep so crowds were in full force…..no worries Saturday at snapper what do you expect?

I was paddling around for quite a while looking for any wave to get me down the point when a reform white water came my wave, I was on the inside sweet! Got up, wave began at little marley and grew into this absolute dream race track. Got about 30m down this gorgeous beast and someone with a Mad Huey's sticker decides it was his turn, looking closer I realised it was Dean Morrison. I screamed every world appropriate for such an act, he decided to turn around and yell at me and when the wave began to barrel I got faded and caught inside and he………..well, he probably got shacked of his dial for the 30th time that day whilst I was left floundering on the inside wondering if that could've been one of the best waves I've ever had……

……Ok so suffice to say I had a shocker for the rest of the session and left to go home a little dejected. We've all had this, you either get a few screamers or you get nothing. But I think I was most disappointed at Dean and all the other pros out there. The extent to which they were going to to deprive average joe's like myself waves was out of control!

I saw Fanning, Parko, The Huey's (Deuy and Lewie in tow) snake and drop in on normal punters on nearly every wave they caught. One of Brent Dorrington's tactics was to drop in and stay high, hope the guy would just give up. If he didn't give up he'd bide his time above the wave's true owner and when he spotted a barrel section would pick up speed to get in front and once in the pit the poor bloke on the inside has no chance. I saw the Hazza's do this as well double dropping in on blokes!

But anyway that's my rant. Deano if you're reading (ha, that's a joke course you can't) you are as despicable as every person on other forums has attested to following similar episodes caught on camera.

What can we do???

spookypt's picture
spookypt's picture
spookypt Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 12:57pm

Nothing. Its everywhere. I left surfing that place long ago. As per my thread "has surfing had its day" your post only reflects what many are having to experience day in day out.

For eg, I surfed TTree on Sunday till dark. Was patient, waited my turn, didn't push and yet in reality my turn just never came. I got a few but just like DM I and others had Dimity Stoyle loving the inside and up, paddle, twist and go every freeken time . She must snaked my position 4 times.

Truth be told its just how it works. I hadn't surfed TT for a while but DT has a x on her back and Im sure to repay the courtesy next time where in the water together. To put it simply its just dog eat dog. You cant hold back or not push in cause if you do you get Nothing!!! Nothing!!!! And sadly its just a race to the bottom in the courtesy stakes. No such thing.

I can say I've more than paid my dues surfing the bays this last few days. And sadly the reaction has been its had its day too. And don't even talk about car parks. Ha!!

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 1:15pm

Yeah I know there's not much you can do. 9 times out of 10 I stick to my own quiet beaches not too far away from the circus and have a ball. There's just those odd swell that if you want to get wet they are the places you tend to have to go. I know we've gone over it a bit in your old thread but surfing seems exempt from any common courtesy.
..wasn't Bernard Tomic all over the news for wanting some courts to himself and not paying the $20 entry fee a month or so ago? Be bloody good if they put guys like Dean M on the news for the same (probably worse and more dangerous to be honest).

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 1:17pm

what can we do???

probably stop surfing with those guys at that break comes to mind, or you could wait and drop in on him , as 2 x wrongs make a right up there on Gold Coast!

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 1:30pm

It appears at Snapper/Kirra/Burliegh etc the only solution re the "locals" & "pros" is to simply burn them, again & again & again. If it turns violent just stand your ground & know that all these sessions are caught on film these days, then take the appropriate action. They won't like it & something will eventually give......

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 1:36pm

That's not a bad idea (although one I won't be partaking in). I'd be interested to know if anyone here has burnt any of these guys and what was the response?

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 1:39pm
sharkman wrote:

what can we do???

probably stop surfing with those guys at that break comes to mind, or you could wait and drop in on him , as 2 x wrongs make a right up there on Gold Coast!

Yeah fair enough and that's my usual solution. But when its 8 foot at most other spots and howling southerly where you going to surf? That its pretty hard to avoid surfing with these guys even over a distance as long as Snapper to Cooly.

You are right however just don't go there end of story. Saw equally as bad behaviour at Broken Head a weekend ago though…..

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 1:44pm

Front the main offenders staity named ,camera in hand ask them why ...why the fuck do you keep doing this..you know the rules you know its wrong ...put em on the spot in front of the lens.....

Fanning when quizzed about it last year --- "Ha Ha fuck em I don't even look left I just go ...too bad "

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 2:25pm

Gents, it will catch up with them. There have been plenty of 'pros' who continually burnt blokes. In some cases they get run off the break. Remember, the tag will stay.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 2:26pm

I doubt it will catch up with them. unless and until someone takes it into their own hands to dispense rough justice.

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 2:30pm
tonybarber wrote:

Gents, it will catch up with them. There have been plenty of 'pros' who continually burnt blokes. In some cases they get run off the break. Remember, the tag will stay.

Thought that might've happened with DM given the notoriety he got when filmed dropping into some punters barrel of his life at Kirra last Feb. He got crucified on social media and his reply was equally as retarded as the act itself………..you would think they would've learnt but obviously not. If Fanning said what was stated above, a major drop in my rating for him…..jeez

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 2:31pm
freeride76 wrote:

I doubt it will catch up with them. unless and until someone takes it into their own hands to dispense rough justice.

I hate violence but I'd say this is the only way they would think twice. I can't believe these guys haven't dropped in on the 'wrong' bloke before………….bet it wouldn't happen at the 'Ox or Angourie

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 2:38pm

the gold coast points have become a total darwinian war of all against all.

I can't see how some kind of order could possibly be restored to those lineups.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 3:07pm

Isn't that whole strip now proudly a "surfing reserve" of some description?!? Ha Ha!! My words I know, but not much to be proud about.....

kaiser's picture
kaiser's picture
kaiser Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 3:31pm

Here you go:

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/lifestyle/beaches-and-fishing/mick-f...

MF puts the nice guy, humble and casual vibe out there and mercilessly burns the consumers who put the most money in his pocket. Some weird logic among the pros....

I saw the surf report on Ch9 the other day and they showed MF burning a guy and then getting a barrel. The presenter lauds the talents of the superstar, with no mention of the act of bastardry. The next night, they show Snapper again and give a word of warning on how not to behave. Shows two nobodies tussle on the same wave and the guy on the inside lose out. The presenter poo-poos the act and says it's not on. Unless your famous?

As a side note, the camera guy for Ch9 surf report is one of the Huey creators, so there's more than a hint of vested interests and free cross-promotion in there.

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 3:37pm

Mick Fanning was surfing at his home break, Snapper Rocks, yesterday afternoon when he stole a young surfer’s wave.An unapologetic Fanning later told the Gold Coast Bulletin: “Whatever happens in the water, happens in the water”.And while such an incident would usually spark surf rage, Fanning’s drop-in just drew admiration from his young “victim”.

“It’s Mick Fanning — what can you do?” said the surfer, who quickly rejoined the line-up.

^^^^^^^^^^ Insert most pro's names here. But the fact that the drop in drew ' admiration' is pretty sad.
………..they are just teaching the next generation of over privileged snots to do the same.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 3:40pm

the worst part is that behaviour becomes normalised then people begin to "export" it wherever they go.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 3:44pm
freeride76 wrote:

the worst part is that behaviour becomes normalised then people begin to "export" it wherever they go.

Exactly..........

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 3:48pm

WSL should fine their asses off bring the sport into disrupt

kaiser's picture
kaiser's picture
kaiser Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 3:55pm

That's a PR article, staitey, there's questionable motives in the story.

The dude would've just flown back in from some remote locale riding perfect and relatively uncrowded waves. Gets more than his fill wherever he goes. Meanwhile hundreds (thousands?) of work-a-day types hang out all year for the chance to get a good wave. They buy the gear, maybe because it has the pro's name put to it, maybe not. Either way it supports the pro's lifestyle and affords him a travel schedule we could only dream of.

To return the favour, they swan into town in time for the swell and fuck up as many people's waves as possible.

To take pride in that is absolutely confounding.

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 3:55pm

Ben
I think you should interview a few of the pros and the WSL on this matter, seeming their all in town.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 3:59pm
kaiser wrote:

That's a PR article, staitey, there's questionable motives in the story.

The dude would've just flown back in from some remote locale riding perfect and relatively uncrowded waves. Gets more than his fill wherever he goes. Meanwhile hundreds (thousands?) of work-a-day types hang out all year for the chance to get a good wave. They buy the gear, maybe because it has the pro's name put to it, maybe not. Either way it supports the pro's lifestyle and affords him a travel schedule we could only dream of.

To return the favour, they swan into town in time for the swell and fuck up as many people's waves as possible.

To take pride in that is absolutely confounding.

Well said mate.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 4:06pm

Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 4:32pm

One of the reasons I'll never buy rip curl or billabong when their "ambassadors " carry on like that in the water! I wonder what the powers to be at Ripcurl etc think when they read of this behaviour? It goes against every surfing law. They (the pros) certainly know how to milk the media and come up smelling of roses.

spookypt's picture
spookypt's picture
spookypt Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 4:40pm

And then the pro sponsors get exposed for using child labour/sweat shops to make their cheap crap even though they'd already signed up against such practices and then when they get caught...oooops clerical oversight.

And the pro surfer show their shock and horror by...wait for it....opening a beer company! Heaven help us.

As I've said before, if a boxer commits the cardinal sin of punching below the belt he's benched and labelled a dirty fighter.. but the Cooly crew and others can commit surfings greatest no no and get all the glory because they are MF or DM. Spare me. I'd be shit hot too if all I did was surf all day and have people tell me how farkin good I am all night.

I still get me mum to make my boardshorts and I'm 44. They're shit and I hate em but I hate what the name brands stand for so I take the ball chafe with a smile and suffer for the greater good.

Dont even get me started on Mad Huey knobs.

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 4:40pm

Must be hard to see such awesone surf be ruined by 500plus people...would absolutely do my head in..have a couple mates up the goldy ATM and one went surfing for 5hrs and caught 1 wave..is that worth it? Dunno...even worse when a pro can get any wave they want but decides to take yours..poor form

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 4:50pm

Why don't you just return the favour and drop in on them ?

They're professional surfers not UFC fighters.

atticus's picture
atticus's picture
atticus Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 4:52pm
Robin Masters wrote:

One of the reasons I'll never buy rip curl or billabong when their "ambassadors " carry on like that in the water! I wonder what the powers to be at Ripcurl etc think when they read of this behaviour? It goes against every surfing law. They (the pros) certainly know how to milk the media and come up smelling of roses.

That's fine as a matter of principle but utterly ineffective as a protest. The profit for all big surf companies comes largely from non-surfers, the companies know this so they could care less that a real surfer stops buying.

The only agency that works directly with surfers is the WSL. Non-surfers don't watch the webcasts, so by extension it's the only way aggrieved recreational surfers can affect the livelihoods of pro surfers. All you have to do is get you and 50,000 mates to stop watching the webcasts.

kaiser's picture
kaiser's picture
kaiser Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 4:56pm

'cos I like to think I'm not an arsehole, Blowin...

Also it's fucken dangerous. I've copped a board full force on the arm that was coming out of a lip. left a bruise as big as my hand that lasted over a week. A foot higher and it would have been lights out... in the water.

I'm amazed nobody has died yet from these sorts of actions, but it'll happen eventually. And when it does, does culpability come into play?

spookypt's picture
spookypt's picture
spookypt Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 5:09pm

You cant have the circus without the clowns. The GC Circus has more than its fair share of Clowns.

You watch...soon we'll see KS saying that the GC is the most packed. disrespectful and dangerous place he's surfed in the world. And he's got some of his top 44 peers to be directly blamed for it.

And yeah, if I dropped in on the little wave hound Ms Stoyle last night and accidently put my board through her pretty little head I'd be the biggest A hole to walk the planet and probably sued for her diminished capacity to generate income by surfing like a spoilt duck everyday.

Its a no win. As I said to my mate on Sunday it just ain't worth it anymore.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 5:18pm

May sound old fashioned but what's happening is just plain pure greed. Contact their sponsors. MF is in a different space at the moment but really no excuses. What does work, is going into the ripcurl shop at cooli at tell the manager why you decided against that ripcurl board or wetty.
Money is a great motivator. I can't forget how Nat Young got his at his 'local'. Stardom wears off.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 5:19pm

I think someone like MF that comes across as a good bloke needs to be fronted on the beach and see what he has to say for himself,pretty greedy really,like all the pricks on the dole who surf all day and think they own the place ...fuck em.

spookypt's picture
spookypt's picture
spookypt Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 5:35pm

Robbie Sherwell said he had the worst surf at noosa he had ever had on Satdy. No respect, snaking, no pecking order....

Sound familiar.

atticus's picture
atticus's picture
atticus Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 5:56pm
fong wrote:

The sponsors are clearly on display...just look @ which surf companies you will not buy from.

Bullshit talks....no $$$ from sales hurt.

The sponsors could care less. Surfers are in the minority of their market and uptight righteous ones don't even register using multiple decimal points. No offence, but one angry email from a customer who wouldn't have bought the product anyway is doing nothing but giving the office staff something to laugh at. Meanwhile stock walks off the shelf and Mick Fanning wins mainstream sport and lifestyle awards.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 5:57pm

exactly.

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 6:07pm
staitey wrote:

Mick Fanning was surfing at his home break, Snapper Rocks, yesterday afternoon when he stole a young surfer’s wave.An unapologetic Fanning later told the Gold Coast Bulletin: “Whatever happens in the water, happens in the water”.And while such an incident would usually spark surf rage, Fanning’s drop-in just drew admiration from his young “victim”.

“It’s Mick Fanning — what can you do?” said the surfer, who quickly rejoined the line-up.

^^^^^^^^^^ Insert most pro's names here. But the fact that the drop in drew ' admiration' is pretty sad.
………..they are just teaching the next generation of over privileged snots to do the same.

The quotes above could be considered bitter. It just depends how it was said and how the media chose to betray it.

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 6:09pm

Spooks what you do in winter mate hahaha. Nah love ya work

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 6:58pm

People need to call dickhead behaviour out in the surf whether its Fanning,Morrison,Parko, Mad Hueys or the local plumber. Confront the dickhead make a point of it even consider bashing the cunts face in if the warning gets laughed at. As someone else said they are surfers not UFC fighters.

As for a mass boycott of their brands simply wont happen too many wannabe suck holes. With the population on the goldcoast i am surprised theres no Anti surf media.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 7:01pm
freeride76 wrote:

Down to the 'Ox'

Let's see what happens then;)

Haha

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 7:22pm
wellymon wrote:
freeride76 wrote:

Down to the 'Ox'

Haha

Probably fuck all.

clif's picture
clif's picture
clif Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 7:26pm

It is curious why don't people drop in on them (beside because of the safety hazard). People will drop in on the average surfer (i.e. each other) relentlessly. Surely it can't be reverence. I mean, many wouldn't know most of these professional surfers. Are multiple stickers on surfboard nose the Willy Wonka golden ticket?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 7:51pm
Wharfjunkie wrote:
wellymon wrote:
freeride76 wrote:

Down to the 'Ox'

Haha

Probably fuck all.

incorrect.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 7:51pm

double post

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 7:53pm

People should just do it Clif if they witness this behaviour the problem is with 500 people out its unlikely its your mate getting burnt. Wonder if the Dingo and friends try this shit outside their own region.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 8:20pm

Was at Snapper etc last Tuesday and it was kaios. Not only did Fanning get almost all the best waves
but if he didnt he would just burn anybody on any bomb he was the ultimate prick of the highest order.
My two boys who idolised him just lost total respect for the dick head and I had to hold back my big
17 boy as after MF burnt him my boy wanted to smash him and still does. I told him wrong place
the time will come. Ive always said to my boys when pros are in town make them waite there turn and
give them shit. Now they know why. Desousa was really bad as well I really don't know how he got
away with it but nobody said boo not even the locals. I say death stare all pros when there in your local
don't suck up to them and burn them and when they mouth off remind them why. That's what I try to do.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 8:24pm

Hope they smarten their act up by the Vicco leg if a Pro drops in blatantly on anyone I know and like out Winki they might find themselves missing the remainder of the Australian leg due to a broken leg.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 8:31pm
Wharfjunkie wrote:

Hope they smarten their act up by the Vicco leg if a Pro drops in blatantly on anyone I know and like out Winki they might find themselves missing the remainder of the Australian leg due to a broken leg.

Must add if its a surfer partaking in a limited amount of contests this year who decides to drop in they may spend their gap year on the couch.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 8:53pm
evosurfer wrote:

Was at Snapper etc last Tuesday and it was kaios. Not only did Fanning get almost all the best waves
but if he didnt he would just burn anybody on any bomb he was the ultimate prick of the highest order.
My two boys who idolised him just lost total respect for the dick head and I had to hold back my big
17 boy as after MF burnt him my boy wanted to smash him and still does. I told him wrong place
the time will come. Ive always said to my boys when pros are in town make them waite there turn and
give them shit. Now they know why. Desousa was really bad as well I really don't know how he got
away with it but nobody said boo not even the locals. I say death stare all pros when there in your local
don't suck up to them and burn them and when they mouth off remind them why. That's what I try to do.

Geez, Mick F must be in a bad place. You would think he would get enough without the need to burn others.

greyhound's picture
greyhound's picture
greyhound Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 8:54pm

Do not tollerate this shit in victoria !

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 9:10pm
fong wrote:

Over 300 4wds at double island point...each contain between 2 and 6 passenger.

Wake to two foot waves :)

Classic karma!

P.s...lets not talk about the dune damage by 97% them pushing on over sensitive dunes on a big flood tide ...

Surfing in Australia. .2016....the nightmare has started

Thanks for the update. Looks like I didn't miss much - 300 4wd. National was a fun.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 9:16pm
tonybarber wrote:

Geez, Mick F must be in a bad place. You would think he would get enough without the need to burn others.

Or just a c&## like the other cooly kids.