Dean Morrison at it again

staitey's picture
staitey started the topic in Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 8:34am

Now I know this topic to some may be like complaining about the heat in Alice Springs but here goes anyway.

Was out on the Snapper stretch on Saturday afternoon. Smaller than I thought it was going to be, barely any sweep so crowds were in full force…..no worries Saturday at snapper what do you expect?

I was paddling around for quite a while looking for any wave to get me down the point when a reform white water came my wave, I was on the inside sweet! Got up, wave began at little marley and grew into this absolute dream race track. Got about 30m down this gorgeous beast and someone with a Mad Huey's sticker decides it was his turn, looking closer I realised it was Dean Morrison. I screamed every world appropriate for such an act, he decided to turn around and yell at me and when the wave began to barrel I got faded and caught inside and he………..well, he probably got shacked of his dial for the 30th time that day whilst I was left floundering on the inside wondering if that could've been one of the best waves I've ever had……

……Ok so suffice to say I had a shocker for the rest of the session and left to go home a little dejected. We've all had this, you either get a few screamers or you get nothing. But I think I was most disappointed at Dean and all the other pros out there. The extent to which they were going to to deprive average joe's like myself waves was out of control!

I saw Fanning, Parko, The Huey's (Deuy and Lewie in tow) snake and drop in on normal punters on nearly every wave they caught. One of Brent Dorrington's tactics was to drop in and stay high, hope the guy would just give up. If he didn't give up he'd bide his time above the wave's true owner and when he spotted a barrel section would pick up speed to get in front and once in the pit the poor bloke on the inside has no chance. I saw the Hazza's do this as well double dropping in on blokes!

But anyway that's my rant. Deano if you're reading (ha, that's a joke course you can't) you are as despicable as every person on other forums has attested to following similar episodes caught on camera.

What can we do???

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 12:36pm

Someone earlier said the 'locals' have lost control. Is the whole Goldie like this now? Burleigh? The Alley? When I was up there, pre-Superbank, Kirra was the out of control spot. No rules. Nowhere else.

But a bit different even, as the sweep and general heaviness of the actual wave kind of kept a modicum of something resembling 'normal' etiquette still in evidence. Kind of. Burnings but not too blatantly rude. Anyway, I'm stoked I got the opportunity to stuff a little wicky-wack snowy prick who tried to snake me in a very un-subtle manner one time. Timed the fade and subsequent flick off to perfection. Future champ Snowy on the run-around. Got a few looks from his 'protectors', maybe a comment. A terse "fuck off" in reply sufficed. Hell, no time for chit-chat, there was ridiculous paddling to hold some sort of position to do.

Anyway, it's Queensland. It's full of the cuntiest of cunts in surfing. Apart from Sydney of course. Un-Australian all. I blame rugby. League.

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 12:53pm

classic TT , you dropped in and burned the guy on the inside , bloody thugby lovers , makes you want to join the locals and keep burning the blowies!

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 1:06pm

Ah, the Goldie. A cruel mistress.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 1:13pm

@Sharkmaaaaan, musta missed this bit about my brush with future fame:

" who tried to snake me in a very un-subtle manner".

Paddling up the inside, my inside, last second when wave arrives, well, you get what you get. Prodigy worship, be damned.

The Goldie. Fulla cunts one day, fulla cunts the next. Older and cuntier. You a Bronco or a Titan, Sharkmaaaaaaan?

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 1:59pm

hey TT , your run in with the prodigy brings up the point of "snaking" as part of the rules of surfing , I wonder when snaking became part of our most reverent surf rules?

Gold coast Suns , I follow aussie rules not pommy punishment game!

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 4:03pm

Maaaan, snaking has been around since the inside surfer having the right of way unwritten law. It's a sneaky (snakey) way of claiming that inside surfer right of way.

The better you are or the more tuned in you are (being a local), the deeper you go. Taking off behind the rock at Snapper or timing the sweep at Kirra. Let alone the paddle-power of the "this is all I do every day" brigade.

Why the "fuck it" shortcuts? Using jet-skis at Kirra when it started to show itself again only got kiboshed by the threat of the law, yeah?

Laziness and the old "I'm alright, Jack" ain't alright. In the water or on land. It fucks us up. It plays into the bullshit that "there is no such thing as society". The fucking evil cunt that came up with that philosophical take on life has a lot to fucken answer for.

I'm more prone to "the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

The Suns, hey? Born n bred bender, then?

memlasurf's picture
memlasurf's picture
memlasurf Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 2:54pm
blindboy wrote:
lostdoggy wrote:

That's how I play it BB but don't you think it's fair enough to try and change the culture of giving these pros a free ride in spite of their shit behaviour?

Can't see any realistic way of tackling the issue and while I understand the frustration there is something to be said for the best surfers getting the best waves. If people want to take it in turns they should play tennis. Surfing has always had that aggro edge, it is not really an egalitarian activity. If you paddle out on a perfect day at one of the most intensely crowded spots on Earth then you need to be able to cut it one way or another. I have a mate who is nowhere near elite standard but who surfs there all the time and loves it. He keeps his expectations low and is just stoked when he does grab a good one. If you think you are entitled to better than that then you need to be able to play at that level and most of us simply can't...well not anymore!

So BB the best advice take an old elephant gun out there and mow em down, drop in, ditch your board as a tombstone to clear a path...on everyone including the pros. Do they drop in on each other? Do they carry on like this elsewhere? If it is truly as aggro as you say then just drop in on them as well and they wouldn't care?

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 4:19pm

This topic highlights the insidious bias of surf industry publications - not one has taken up the issue of professional surfers taking waves by dropping in ... In fact, they are more so promoting it by publishing videos and photos of the professional on a wave taken by such an act.

Just an idea - why don't we, the concerned recreational surfers, come up with a phrase that puts this "drop in and snake" behaviour into a negative spin, sort of like how a "king hit" became a " cowards punch"? That way, the mainstream media will have something they can grasp onto and report.

All we, the concerned recreational surfer, then has to do is bombard the mainstream media with examples of professional surfers doing it...

WSL will act then. So too the sponsors.

Just needs a catchy, negative, all encompassing term or slogan that mainstream media can grasp.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 5:46pm
wingnut2443 wrote:

This topic highlights the insidious bias of surf industry publications - not one has taken up the issue of professional surfers taking waves by dropping in ... In fact, they are more so promoting it by publishing videos and photos of the professional on a wave taken by such an act.

Just an idea - why don't we, the concerned recreational surfers, come up with a phrase that puts this "drop in and snake" behaviour into a negative spin, sort of like how a "king hit" became a " cowards punch"? That way, the mainstream media will have something they can grasp onto and report.

All we, the concerned recreational surfer, then has to do is bombard the mainstream media with examples of professional surfers doing it...

Just needs a catchy, negative, all encompassing term or slogan that mainstream media can grasp.

The beauty of social media and the internet age is people have the ability to create their own discussion and have viewpoints shared to the masses much like is happening here. The problem is bullying and internet trolls who use such platforms as a way to spew vile abuse towards anyone they have an agenda against.

It wouldn't be hard for a motivated person to create their own web platform to share their views on situations like whats happening on the Goldy with video footage to back it up. So long as it doesn't become slanderous and is correctly moderated to avoid litigation there shouldn't be a problem.

Can picture the video now " The following drop ins are bought to you by surfers sponsored by Rip Curl, Billabong and The Hueys" a bit of satire wouldn't hurt the cause.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 5:50pm
wingnut2443 wrote:

True…it won't change until they do or media of some kind bring focus to the issue, it will only be when the sponsors and WSL look bad and money is involved that professional surfers will stop acting like unprofessional greedy kooks.

Edit: 100% agree Wharfjunkie

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 6:06pm
Wharfjunkie wrote:
wingnut2443 wrote:

The beauty of social media and the internet age is people have the ability to create their own discussion and have viewpoints shared to the masses much like is happening here. The problem is bullying and internet trolls who use such platforms as a way to spew vile abuse towards anyone they have an agenda against.

It wouldn't be hard for a motivated person to create their own web platform to share their views on situations like whats happening on the Goldy with video footage to back it up. So long as it doesn't become slanderous and is correctly moderated to avoid litigation there shouldn't be a problem.

Can picture the video now " The following drop ins are bought to you by surfers sponsored by Rip Curl, Billabong and The Hueys" a bit of satire wouldn't hurt the cause.

For those more social media savvy than myself , just create a facebook or instagram account called
" Only Shit , Drops In " along the lines of a few pages i've heard of including Crap Solar etc . This way the culprits can be tagged directly to their accounts ..... enough people do it they will get sick of blocking and either leave these " important " self absessed mediums or more easily stop acting like Fuckwits .

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 6:39pm

Not sure you will get much traction with that approach. What you really need is your classic media beat up, you know "World Champ Runs Over Cancer Victim" " Bushfire Hero Crippled By Surf Pro" "Snapper Mafia Assault One Armed, Visually Handicapped Teen"

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 4 Mar 2016 at 11:25am

Forget the media just go the beat-up first. To paraphrase Marcellus Wallace (note: only if you don't like getting your hands dirty), get a coupla hard, meth pipe-hittin', erm buggers, who'll go to work on the pro homies with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. Get medieval on their asses.

The Goldie has got a fine history of pro-types getting their asses handed to them. Chuck in the meth these days for that little bit of extra 'moral panic', and then make sure the reason is widely disseminated that they got gotten because of their cuntish behaviour in the water and voila! problem solved. Courier Mail and any Goldie rag would be all over it, let alone the corporate telly news, ACA etc.

We can crowd-fund this comrades!

Ummm, a tad extreme? Is Nat still Nat these days?

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 7:07pm

Not at all Talking Turkey

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 7:14pm

Now ya talking turkey,na not extreme at all and very creative plus your employing the unemployable,and extend it like in surf lifesaving where meth heads roam the beaches and anyone seen dropping in gets beaten to an inch of there life!Its a win win situation......be funny watching Fanning or Parko hold up there trophy with two black eyes and no teeth.......awesome.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 7:46pm

ThazL's picture
ThazL's picture
ThazL Saturday, 5 Mar 2016 at 1:07pm

Here's an idea. Let's stop using the phrase burn, fade, snake, drop-in. They all sound like they require an element of skill

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 5 Mar 2016 at 5:46pm

I faded a gronkesque Seppo today in an act of frontier justice.

Took most of my meagre abilities not to go under his fins.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Saturday, 5 Mar 2016 at 6:17pm

Wowee, did you take it to the beach? Again?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 5 Mar 2016 at 6:41pm

Negative.

Sorted out in a kangaroo court in the line up.

The perpetrator ( Seppo ) was quietly accused of and proven to be , based on evidence and eyewitness statements ( supplied by myself ) an irritant of the highest order and suffered a court imposed ten minutes of silent self reflection where upon he may learn from his indiscretions and emerge , chrysalis like, a better person and a more enjoyable surfer to share a line up with.

Every one left with a smile on their face.

Except maybe the Seppo, but who gives a fuck, he was a punish to be around.

PCS PeterPan's picture
PCS PeterPan's picture
PCS PeterPan Sunday, 6 Mar 2016 at 12:26am

HUMAN NATURE sux......I imagine we've all had this and other variations of this shit happen before.I have
been so deep at a particular point that I've had to keep my inside foot out , pushing off the rocks ,in the spot , undeniably "inside" everyone....I'm on the next one for sure . . . .nup..........BURNED again.

Football players get fined $$$$$ for bad behaviour. Maybe guilty PRO surfers should hand out new surf attire to their victims from their respective sponsors . I don't know of a quick solution. IMO it is in our basic human instincts.

However I know one thing. Growing up at Maroubra , a certain group of individuals became quite infamous . They did this by hangin'tough and rolling anyone in their path. The usual tactics of pack mentality engaged . Some of them knew what they were doing , others were followers , some did'nt and still don't even surf. But there was one who made a habit of burning me regularly . At the end of that period before fate brushed them aside , I would see my nemisis paddling out and I would move to another peak to avoid the situation.
15 years on , he ain't so fit anymore , so now its my turn ! I don't drop in on just any wave ...I wait for some of the best set waves during the session . Its so fun .
What I'm getting at is , any of these Pros will get their medicine eventually . When MR MORRISON gets to a point in time in the future , some of his 'drop-in' victims children will be paying him his dues , now that would be great viewing .

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 11:07am

thats pretty significant, shows the pros are now at least aware of sentiment shifting against them.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 11:12am

What a pity you don't have the surf ettieque of the the guy who shaped the single fin Eugene.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 11:15am

That wasn't an apology, more like sorry but not sorry, that's just the way it is.

Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu's picture
Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu's picture
Hako o hakonde ... Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 11:16am

It wont stop them though

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 11:26am

Is 'sharks' a euphemism for 'cunts'?

downthecoast's picture
downthecoast's picture
downthecoast Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 12:09pm

Take the nice approach. If they drop in, wait for them to paddle back out and congratulate them on an awesome wave. Befriend them, follow them in, see which car they go back to and take note of the number plate. Next time you see that car in the car park let the air out of at least 2 tyres and leave a message with wax on the windscreen stating how much you appreciate them sharing YOUR wave . It may not stop them from dropping in but it'll delay 'em enough or get them thinking about it next time. A little bit of advice from your friendly neighbourhood pacifist. PS. I'd only do this after multiple dropins of course !

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 3:54pm

Good stuff put the heat on! Not just to Fanning though, all his mates too!

derra83's picture
derra83's picture
derra83 Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 3:59pm

Cant wait to see how the mags defend Mick, which of course they will. Luke kennedy and Vaughan Blakey have got their tongues at the ready. The PR propaganda will hit the newstands soon.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 4:21pm

Well wasn't much of an apology next swell and the 50 after will truly tell how remorseful these "Sharks" are. Speaking of Sharks these guys would have to be like a school shark the Beta-Male type of the shark world who hunt in packs justifying one and others piss poor behaviour. They are definitely no Great White.

Maintain the rage against poor behaviour in the surf.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 4:41pm

Have to admit, Mick did make it sound like when the waves are good you can do what you want. That's a 2 way street .

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 6:37pm

they've fought to the top of the pack , their on their own stretch, everyone wants a piece of it and ya think their gunna give it up- yeh. let the dingo loose

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 6:43pm
tworules wrote:

they've fought to the top of the pack , their on their own stretch, everyone wants a piece of it and ya think their gunna give it up- yeh. let the dingo loose

By dropping in?? If they claim it's their own stretch well they can just stay there and not travel at all. Let the dingo loose? Why not let the Dingo follow the same rules as everyone else.

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 6:53pm

what like everyone else

trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 7:30pm
groundswell wrote:

http://www.mysurf.tv/exclusive/video/mick-fanning-breaks-down-winston-su...

Re the shark comment...so the waves get good so I turn into a cunt...apologist bullshit.

No different to you made me angry/jealous/envious or whatever, so I punched you in the face...piss weak excuses from piss weak, hypocritical boys.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 8:39pm

lamest apology ever, couldn't even wipe the smirk off his face

made bronwyn bishop look genuine, wanker

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 8:57pm

Wasnt that long ago i thought Mick was the messiah of the pro ranks,bringing a bit of class to a group of ego lovin wannabes but as Sypkan said above the smirk was your downfall ......someone as good as Mick shouldnt have to dropin,probably already has a 100 tubes that day.........lame.

uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 10:31pm

smashed head/rear and indicators on all four corners every couple of weeks should wipe that smirk off

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 10:57pm

Dingo the boss mf the lighting parko the croatian...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 11:27pm

Notice that gronk on the yellow board go over the falls sitting upright just as Fanning passed during that video ?

Jesus fucking Christ.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Wednesday, 9 Mar 2016 at 12:14am

I now think I dislike them even more.
This is my solution when they come to your local burn them as much
as possible then smile and remind them of Winston.

noshow's picture
noshow's picture
noshow Wednesday, 9 Mar 2016 at 11:17am

My solution is go to the local pub, locate the biggest hardnut with Jail-Tattoos, provide a pink bodyboard ( one of thos sweet ones with the two fins underneath) & pay him $100 and a case of XXXX to follow whatever pro surfer you have an issue with and blatantly drop in on him and straight-hander on every single wave the desired surfer catches. I would then pay him an additional 50 and a 6 pack of Woodstock 12 %ers to sit on said pro's head in the carpark. I'd happily offer my services except I only weigh 65Kg and possess tiny little child-like stick legs. I do have a pink body board though so would not require supply of this item.

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Wednesday, 9 Mar 2016 at 12:06pm

ah don't you love the smell of violence for Breakfast , and the threats of nameless people , showcasing their weakness's here on SN. When you read all the whinging and threats on this forum , no wonder the locals drop in , shit , reading all the negatives about the Cooly Kids , makes me want to drop in on all the bleaters , so I can only imagine how the locals see the blowins!!
FFS man up guys, stop talking about it and do something , whats that old saying, " if you can't back it up , shut the fuck up!"
Ah but that's what forums are , silly rhetorical question!

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Wednesday, 9 Mar 2016 at 12:12pm

Sorry, Mick but you know and we know that was not an apology. Yeah, life may not be too good at the moment but honesty would help.

tootr's picture
tootr's picture
tootr Wednesday, 9 Mar 2016 at 12:55pm
sharkman wrote:

ah don't you love the smell of violence for Breakfast , and the threats of nameless people , showcasing their weakness's here on SN. When you read all the whinging and threats on this forum , no wonder the locals drop in , shit , reading all the negatives about the Cooly Kids , makes me want to drop in on all the bleaters , so I can only imagine how the locals see the blowins!!
FFS man up guys, stop talking about it and do something , whats that old saying, " if you can't back it up , shut the fuck up!"

They have nets and drumlines on the Gold Coast. What are YOU gonna do about it?

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Wednesday, 9 Mar 2016 at 2:41pm

Yep, sharkman, your right. Put up or shut up. Some of us don't shut up but we still manage to have a bit of fun and banter. The benefit of age.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Wednesday, 9 Mar 2016 at 7:37pm
sharkman wrote:

The thing is theres plenty who could back it up these wankers probably pick their targets when dropping in. Such as a young teenager.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 9 Mar 2016 at 8:47pm

After reading this it's tempting to follow the pro wankers around and go left towards them if the drop in on someone. Might end in a court case though. More fun than competing for waves with manners.