High Intensity Training

blindboy's picture
blindboy started the topic in Tuesday, 29 Oct 2013 at 6:01pm

If you missed "The Truth About Exercise" on SBS last night it is well worth a look and can be accessed through their web site. It was more concerned with the health aspects than high levels of fitness but if you haven't caught up with the research on the benefits of high intensity, short duration exercise, then most of what you think you know is probably wrong ( no,no no, not you uplift!). Also good on individual differences.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 29 Oct 2013 at 6:03pm

Hmm still needs a second comment to get onto the Home page

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Tuesday, 29 Oct 2013 at 6:39pm

'if you haven't caught up with the research on the benefits of high intensity, short duration exercise, then most of what you think you know is probably wrong ( no,no no, not you uplift!).'

'Hmm still needs a second comment to get onto the Home page'

Gee, since you've twisted my arm, glad to help out blindboy... not that I want to see myself on the front page. I'm more a Lynch type, that wants to stay in the background and that's why I didn't enter the Coke Surfabout, and complain in all the magazines when I was blatently denied my victory.

Arthur Jones, then Ellington Darden in the 60's and 70's made deluxe discoveries in high intensity training, especially in the NFL, that are just now being being touted as breakthroughs. And of course, always wanting to stay reclusive, and in the background, ala Lynch, there's me.

In 1970 Arnold Schwarzenegger and his side kicks went to train with Jones, and documented the whole thing. The training was too hard for him initially, and he and his side kicks signed affidavits and showed photos, letters, articles etc, proclaiming that he/they had never experienced anything so productive.

Not long after, Weider worked his'magic' and had to stifle all that, and Arny signed with him. Now he claims he's never really tried anything like that, and the public believe it... along with that he barely used and relied on bodybuilding drugs either.

Yet its all there, not to hard to find. Time is the saviour in the fitness world, especially in the supplement field, they work on that stuff all people will go back too far. Most of it, duds, are just recycled and spruced up to match the suckers of the times and labelled breakthroughs. Now its... crossfit!!! I'm lucky and stoked, I've seen and experienced about 4-5 10 year cycles, hilarious shit.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 29 Oct 2013 at 6:47pm

It doesn't go into high level fitness, strength or endurance. It looks at VO2 and blood sugar levels. They have a stack of studies showing that 3x 20s maximum efforts with brief rests between, three times a week significantly reduces insulin resistance and can increase VO2. The other research they have is that people vary hugely in their response to training. Some are super responders that will improve very rapidly, others will not respond at all. They have identified the genes involved and can reliably predict your response to training from a blood test.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Tuesday, 29 Oct 2013 at 7:18pm

Gidday, its just like a tan blindboy. Unless you have a significant problem/deficiency, the sun will create a situation that you'll adapt to. Common to all. But at the same time different to all. That's the strength of the best trainers, and also why Personal Training saves time and money. A truly top trainer will gauge your unique make up,/reaction quickly, saving a lot of wasted time and money. Again, in that context, its so funny,... crossfit. But its not so hard, you initially need a safe starting point. Then away you go... it saves plenty of time and effort if you know how though. I train all types daily. The mind is the biggest hurdle for most. Its like meditation. Most people hate the stark reality of it, the effort. This one's boring, plug in that other binaural, dolphin chant CD, you don't have to do anything in that one.

Genes are a massive subject. Not much really known. They can be affected by environment though, which includes thought.

But shit, I only have 40 plus years of data. Plus last year I only did around a couple of thousand training sessions with people with all sorts of unique makeups.

Insulin, our sugar coated culture's nightmare.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 29 Oct 2013 at 7:27pm

We know a lot more about genes now than we did even a few years ago. Cheap rapid sequencing has given scientists masses of population data which they have been able to correlate with medical records and family histories. In this case they test for variants of 11 genes that influence response to aerobic training and can accurately predict from that data how people will go when they actually train. Genetic testing is already standard practice in most high level professional sport and becoming ever more precise in its predictions. Personal genome analysis will soon be a standard medical tool at GP level.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Tuesday, 29 Oct 2013 at 7:43pm

All that may be true, but the body is an amasing thing, and there is always more than meets the eye. Everyone responds to the right stimulus. Its a marker of life. I get a steady stream of, 'can't be fixed mate,' client's, and its actually my bread and butter. The guy I talk about on here fixed 'can't be fixed, won't respond', at the most elite level. When the supposed 'best experts' in the world said otherwise. He even cured his own 'incurable, untreatable' condition as a young boy, defying what is 'known'.

Again, the mind. 'Hey, I did it all last week, me quads aren't responding!' I think I'll try...

Try focusing for 12 months. No worries, easy, hey I'm out here big brother's on!' Einstein hit the nail on the head. 1%.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 29 Oct 2013 at 7:51pm

You are probably right to some extent uplift. Research can only tell us so much and working over long periods with an individual is quite different from research which looks at the effects of a standard procedure on a population. That said I think the research is valid in terms of there being a huge range in the response of individuals to the type of training regimes they are likely to be offered even by most personal trainers. The research is continuing so it will be interesting to see how it progresses.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Tuesday, 29 Oct 2013 at 8:32pm

Standard is a tough one. Look at nutrition, which govern's response. Hormones. Standard was the food triangle. Now the upside down triangle. Paleo. Atkins. Endless standards. It all boils down to hormones. Hormones rule. Put simplistically, marathon = hormones, sprint = hormones. Protein = hormones, carbs = hormones.

You need dietry fat to make hormones. No dietry fat = compromised hormones. Cholesterol is crucial to human life.

'Get rid of fat and cholesterol!' Buffoons.

http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/importance-of-saturated-fats-...

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 29 Oct 2013 at 8:45pm

" the gene is called fus1 and is a protein..."

Sorry uplift but this is a scientific illiteracy. Genes are DNA not proteins, I can't take seriously a "scientific" article by someone who could let that slip through.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Tuesday, 29 Oct 2013 at 9:43pm

Bit selective in the quoting/context blindboy... tricks of the trade. Focus is a funny thing. Its a filter too.

'This gene is called fus1 and is a protein that has been modified with covalent addition of the saturated fatty acid myristic acid.'

'FUS1 is a novel tumor suppressor gene identified in the human chromosome 3p21.3 region that is deleted in many cancers. Using surface-enhanced laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometric analysis on an anti-Fus1-antibody-capture ProteinChip array, we identified wild-type Fus1 as an N-myristoylated protein.'

http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/64/9/2969.full

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC194900/http://www.ncbi.nlm.n...

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Tuesday, 29 Oct 2013 at 10:22pm

Thats of course unless the the lasered, desorped, spectometic, anti fus, array chip capture was tampered with and fucked up... seen that shit happen a few times in me day too!

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Tuesday, 29 Oct 2013 at 11:45pm

Well, well, well... the 'latest.' Round and round we go.

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3876219.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-28/professor-says-abc-catalyst-episod...

If only it was the good ol' days when Banksy coulda just ordered a quick inquisition and torched the fuckers. Or, ala that dimwit Galileo, force em to say they are just bullshitting, and lock em up. Peer reviewed so to speak.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 30 Oct 2013 at 1:10am

So is high intensity training good for you....?
I.E. Tabata style, body weight, 20minutes, 5 different exercises, 20secs on, 10 secs rest, as quick as you can go with good form..?
The gene Fus1 and chromosome 3p21.3 lost me!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 30 Oct 2013 at 7:24am
wellymon wrote:

The gene Fus1 and chromosome 3p21.3 lost me!

Me too Welly, yeah so what's the end verdict here, good or bad regarding high intensity short interval?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 30 Oct 2013 at 8:20am

The verdict:
1. You can get significant health benefits from 3 minutes of exercise per week. 3 x 20s maximum efforts with brief rests between, three times a week. This is significant even if you are doing plenty of other exercise as the benefits flow from the maximum effort of the large muscle groups causing metabolic changes I don't think that you are going to get this from surfing or many of the other exercise routines that people follow.

2. The total activity that you do in a day has significant health impacts to the point that you are probably better off walking around being busy all day without doing any specific exercise than sitting down all day and then spending an hour in the gym (or surf).

3. People vary enormously in their response to aerobic exercise. Some will not see any measurable improvement in their fitness despite regular training, others will improve very rapidly. This can be determined by genetic testing and accurately predict an individual's response.

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 30 Oct 2013 at 8:35am

OK uplift, you can use fus1 for either the gene or its protein product. The second set of links were informative. The first one is unreliable as it is neither peer reviewed nor produced by a reputable publisher. It also lacks references and the author's Ph D could be in The Feminist Literature Of The Later Middle Ages for all we know. Sorry but you just cannot take anything on a site like that as being accurate.
I'm not sure why you would suddenly take such a serious interest in the role of tumour suppressing genes as they wouldn't seem to have a lot to do with the topic but it was an intersting diversion. From my reading I think you might be stretching it a bit to draw a line from coconut oil to cancer prevention but I suppose it is possible. I think this sums up the present knowledge quite nicely.

"Although the mechanism of demyristoylation is not known, demyristoylation of the myristoylated alanine-rich C-kinase substrate, as shown by electrospray mass spectrometry analyses of the myristoylated and demyristoylated forms of myristoylated alanine-rich C-kinase substrate proteins, has been found in brain (24) , and the reduced expression of myristoylated alanine-rich C-kinase substrate has been reported in various cell lines after oncogenic or chemical transformation and in melanoma cells compared with normal choroidal melanocytes (25) ."

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 30 Oct 2013 at 4:05pm

Yeah I thought so.

"Demytristoylated, myristoylated alanine-rich C-kinase substrate proteins, gene Fus1 and chromosome 3p21.3."

My brain has had its exercise for the day in 20 s,
:)

Serious though, your spot on BB,
"2. The total activity that you do in a day has significant health impacts to the point that you are probably better off walking around being busy all day without doing any specific exercise than sitting down all day and then spending an hour in the gym (or surf)."

You might laugh, but have a go with this free app, NTC (Nike Training Camp), it is a womens app haha but its an absolute killer, 25-27min exercise, non stop, a lot of body wieght exercises, as well with light dumbells and a medicene ball. Lunges, squats, froggers, planks etc.
Good interesting exercises, that keep ya heart rate up and your whole body working, if its too easy, just use heavier dumbells i.e. 15kg plus.??
Have a go.
Not sure what Uplift thinks of this App, any of your profound knowledge on this type of training Uplift.???

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 30 Oct 2013 at 3:56pm

I think uplift is still demyristoylating.......he may be some time.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Wednesday, 30 Oct 2013 at 5:02pm

Gidday, I've actually been training people. And I have to train more in a minute. Meanwhile here's some actual results high intensity training can produce in 12 weeks. The lady in the news item was 6 months. No one would train her as she was seriously obese, and in danger of a stroke or heart attack at any time. Her doctor brought her to me having seen my other results. Then freaked when I had her eating steaks in cream sauce. She was the classic CSIRO victim. The study child. Fat free and fucked. And she experienced genuine intensity. Not 3 sets x 20. The guy had been injured, and got out of shape, and had 10 weeks to get in shape for the world titles as a lifesaving boat crew member. He was hilarious, a clubbie, so he 'knew all about training'. he knew fuck all, and admitted he wasted 2 weeks speiling on about how he trained. The lady reminds me of you blindboy, she had folders and folders of files, reports, diagnoses and studies, was diagnosed with every sympton and condition known to modern man, was a 'non responder with irritable bowel syndrome and bad genes', and was a no fat doomster. Her dream was to work as a fitness model but all the agencies laughed at her and said she was not a suitable body type. I threw all her rubbish in the bin, and 3 months later she scored her first paid modelling job, and was eating eggs and cream.

Recovery is the key, training is just the stimulus. You dont get fit training. It happens when you are finished. Nutrition is paramount to recovery.

Intensity. 3 x 20? The intensity level that left you helpless in your own words blindboy is kindy stuff, absolute beginner. Anyone that can do 3 x 20 of anything is bludging. Come on down, I love watching 'intensity' trainers actually experience intensity, and watching little peteite chicks training at levels way beyond them.

Our society is basically feeble. And thanks to the studies is the fattest society ever to grace the planet. Nutrition is vital, dietry fat is vital. Vital means life. Hormones rule life. No response would occur from any exercise without a hormone triggering it. No fat, no hormones. You better get it clear, or you'll forever be a lump of jelly after attempting to do stuff all.

Focus on doing your workouts. Don't bludge and miss them. No excuses. And learn how to support recovery through nutrition.

That gene does much more than you try to convey with again, selective focus.

http://s1350.photobucket.com/user/Uplifted/library/Uplift%20Results

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 30 Oct 2013 at 5:19pm

From my reading the gene produces a protein which stops the growth of certain cancer cells in between divisions and so prevents the growth of tumours. Nothing in my reading relates its function to diet. There is clear evidence that its malfunction is caused by a mutation so the protein is incorrectlynstructured and does not function as it should. If you have references indicating other functions of the gene or that the mutations can be induced by dietary deficiency, I would be interested to see them.
I don't have any doubts about your work uplift. The problem is that anecdotes are only the weakest form of evidence. If you really want to make a difference beyond the individuals you work with you need to find yourself a PhD student in exercise physiology to help you gather the kind if evidence that people will take seriously.
As you say 3x20s, even at maximum effort is not much and, no it didn't leave me helpless I threw it in at the end of a longer work out as there is solid evidence that it has produced very specific beneficial metabolic changes. Evidence based, where you should go!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 30 Oct 2013 at 7:35pm

u

stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2 Wednesday, 30 Oct 2013 at 7:58pm

Gidday, I've actually been training, people. And I have to do more trains in a minute. With real trains. Well, real model trains. But trains that go choo choo. With whistles, and conductors hats, and tunnels, and bridges, and steam. Well, cotton wool, which if you half close your eyes looks like real steam.

I love high intensity training. The longest I've stayed in my room playing trains is 6 months. No one else would play trains with me so I got seriously obese, and in danger of a stroke or heart attack, but it was worth it just to see those trains go round, and round, and round, and round

Intensity? I'll give you intensity. You try getting the 5.34 passenger express to get through the Pyrenees tunnel when you just know the 5.18 goods train has been delayed at the Turin interchange. That sort of intensity would leave you helpless but you guys are in your own words blindboy, absolute beginners.

To me, the Fat Controller, it's kindy stuff.

Anyone that can't do 3 or 4 trains at the same time is bludging. I love watching 'intensity' trains. I actually experience intensity.

You better get clear, or you'll be run over.

Woowoohoo, choo choo.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Wednesday, 30 Oct 2013 at 10:55pm

Gidday blindboy, results are the best type of evidence. And the only type of evidence that interests me. I have been in this industry for over 40 years and I know full well that this miniscule example of the results that I get in the short time frames, that I put on here, are way beyond normal. Also totally legal and drug free. I have seen legal results similar from the US, but that was years ago in the era when ephedrine and prohormones were legal there. Plus, looking good is one thing, my clients are genuinely healthy, strong and fit. Every day I help people at their wits end that the Sports Physiologists and 'experts' can't.

However I would urge anyone who wants to be a trainer to actually become a sports physiologist. You will be severely stunted and channeled in your learning, but you'll be eligible for your clients to be able to claim your training sessions, and thus have access to heaps of clients that otherwise couldn't afford it. When you are starting out, knowing how to, or being reputable or good enough to get clients will be an issue.

I did my formal training for one reason only, access to cheaper insurance.

You based your initial assessment of Mary Enig on your bungle blindboy, and then when that was made irrefutably clear dramatically changed tack and look for other avenues to shore up the bungle.

The Fus gene/protein is really intersting. Exercise causes oxidative stress, always an issue to be aware of. Another powerfull trait of Fus is to combat that, and cell stress. There's a zillion links, I put 1.

Something that has repeatedly suppressed tumours and combats stress, including radiation (cancer treatment) stress? No biggy. Bloody Enig.

No reference to diet? Myristoylation related to Fus1 requires dietary satured fat, ie dairy fat. And Coconut oil. And Cholesterol is the structure, the support of human life.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0046251

And yeh, I have got that Australian Indigenous Studies degree Udo. My electives were all sports science based. Comical. You'll hate it, but I had to show the lecturer how to do power cleans properly. High distinctions.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 31 Oct 2013 at 7:09am

Myristic acid occurs in most animal tissue and, like cholesterol, can be made by humans so I am not sure why you think it is necessary to consume large quantities in the diet. It plays a role in the formation of the active form of the fus1 protein but it is hard to see that consuming more would add to that function particularly as, in my reading, there is no suggestion of this in the literature.
If you are serious about your work I find it hard to understand why you would not want to demonstrate its effectiveness to the wider community via good quality research. You have long practical experience in an area of profound interest to exercise physiologists and medical researchers. Why not put your ideas to the test?

grog-an's picture
grog-an's picture
grog-an Thursday, 31 Oct 2013 at 1:23pm

updraft, did you kidnap those poor people and make them eat boiled eggs and try to get some ransom from their families? what is the go with the newspapers??

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Thursday, 31 Oct 2013 at 2:47pm

Gidday blindboy, the reason that you aren't seeing what I see, is because you aren't focusing on what I am. Partly. The rest is more complex, and there are different reasons why you aren't, that have nothing to do with the actual subject.

But its a good thing, worth discussing, because, you are making the same glaring, basic mistake that most trainers make.

Again, my results are not typical. There are my 'test results' right in front of you, far from typical. In fact imagine giving you ten clients and monitoring the results daily and posting the results after 12 weeks. Or any 'expert' on here. Or your 'study' team. 10 average people... maybe bung knees, stuffed backs, smokers, drinkers, obese, diabetic, pregnant, buggered shoulders, non responders, rsi, allergies, athletes, my physio said, my doctor said, the study said, swellnet said, my coach reckons, me mate reckons, blindboy said, when I was, when I used to, but I've always, it says on the internet, 'they' said, and so on and so on, and so on. Average people. Honestly it would be hilarious, the ultimate viewing. Where are the actual results of the 'study', which by the way is just one of zillions of'breakthroughs', that you happened to come in contact with. Where is the end result. How easy, this is Joe and Mary then, look how dramatically different they are now.

Whatever you are now, physically, is the result of all you consume and think now. You have to fully grasp what that means, but don't, like most.

Your cells contain many things, and your body makes/produces many things, ie creatine, testosterone, a myriad of hormones etc.

You have to grasp totally, really understand the far reaching nature of recovery to get the results I have posted. The cause part is a catch 22, its easy, but at the sametime difficult, in fact, a crucial part of recovery, as it dictates the environment for recovery. Hormones. Why would a top athlete risk everything by adding hormones etc, when they already produce hormones etc. Sprinters run, marathoners run. Totally different results, because totally different hormones.

So, lets use you as typical client, which you are. In you come, the sack truck full of files documenting the injuries, studies, reading material, mates, preconceived notions, conditioning, attitude, nutritional habits, etc. Which equals stuffed back, sore hand, weak arm, flagging fitness and your present level of strength. But you want different. Strong back, strong hand strong arm, powering fitness and strength. Lets say we are successful, and the sack truck is on its way to the dump. 'I'm free... I can see!'

And now you can begin to train. And you'll do whatever it takes!!!! You want the result!!! Well kind of, except, Fri morning you have to go to... just for a couple a weeks, in a few weeks time you need to be... your mate is coming over on Wednesday, there's a show about a study on Friday etc, etc.

Yet we have the experience and a plan which will even cope with that. So you begin to train, in a targeted specific way, to elicit a response and environment, and your body begins to adapt. Now, back to sack truck day. Nutrition. Your body begins to adapt, except, now its used more resources actually training. Then it has to create the required environment and repair the result of training, using even more resources, and needing even more. Then it begins to compensate, using even more, needing even more. Now it needs even more, just to exist, to do things like sleep, just to metabolise, let alone move. Now, you train again, needing even more, and doing even more damage, more oxidation, more stress, needing even more.

Sack truck day, equals sack truck boy. And thats all it ever will. Now your body is lacking. Critically far reaching. Hormones. Nothing happens in the body without hormones. The whole environment has changed... to lack. 'But I have enough myrtisic acid, testosterone, growth hormone, endorphins, adrenalin, blood, nutrients, cholesterol.' Yeh, to be sack truck boy.

Its why many resort to drugs.

Again, the test is right in front of you. That model had trained all over the place for years and years. 'Her 'specialists' were horrified with what she was eating and doing with me. We would laugh about it in the end. Likewise with the guy. I ate 2 dozen eggs a day blindboy. 2 dozen, tons of cream, butter, milk, cheese. I can easily prove it. I still eat a dozen. Honestly, think about it. The government 'experts' did test me, and my cholesterol levels, and my blood profiles were deluxe. I challenged them to explain it as they were sure it would be the opposite. I would think they would have wanted to have known everything about that. My friend did treat Meninga, Waugh, Carroll and Cash when they were at their wits end. They had access to anyone. He had no qualifications. Yet they came to him, despite all else at their disposal, and mockery and warnings from experts. I saw and experienced the shit he used to deal with. I have a friend that was on the verge of topping themselves, and had exhausted every avenue with his back. Zero surfing, zero anything. He could barely get to the hospital to have his morphine and pethidine shots. My friend helped him, and he is still surfing today. Yet, even he is embarrassed to tell people as he is a doctor, and his version is that he wasn't so bad, and he kinda fixed himself. All that know him are dumbfounded at his 'memory'. I saw another well known local guy in the surf on the weekend, whose story was even worse. yet he is out there surfing, but at least realises what my friend did for him. The 'experts' should have been all over him.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Thursday, 31 Oct 2013 at 3:15pm

Groges, the newspapers are to prove the dates the photos are taken, to prove the time difference.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 31 Oct 2013 at 4:23pm

It all sound a bit defensive to me uplift. You talk about your successes but what about your failures? Never had any? Well that's hard to believe. What about the ones who walked away without achieving their goal? You have to count them too.
One of the things science is good at is stripping away the bullshit. It doesn't claim absolute truth and good scientists happily correct their errors. You claim that a lot of our currently accepted knowledge of nutrition and exercise is wrong. There are hundreds just like you on the internet, happy to parade their successes and equally reluctant to subject their methods to a fair test, which is what science offers. I genuinely think you might be on to something. You potentially bring long experience and an outsider's view to a field dominated by academic group think.......but it's a risk isn't it? Putting your whole belief system up to the test, so I understand.

estuspirkle's picture
estuspirkle's picture
estuspirkle Thursday, 31 Oct 2013 at 5:58pm

This is really interesting and intriguing stuff. Uplift, so it seems I should buy a dozen or so hens for personal use and go on a prolonged Cool Hand Luke diet of boiled eggs, and then pump some intense iron, for super-max fitness...assuming boiled is the preferred egg style? Cellgevity and paddling up n down Day St sure ain't cutting the mustard...can your methods possibly be exported (in part at least)? Can an impersonal training regime be tailored for those not in your locale? Is there a book/DVD/interactive digitally thing-me-bob in this for the masses, ya reckon?
Also, any thoughts on the very recent ABC Catalyst 'cholesterol controversy'? It seems to back up some of what you're saying?

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 31 Oct 2013 at 6:59pm

So ! Is High Intensity training good for you?
Uplift what is your type of high intensity training. I don't doubt your training abilities Uplift, some of those links you have posted are goobley goob to me, the reading is far too intense. (High Intensity Reading)

stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2 Thursday, 31 Oct 2013 at 9:29pm
rusty-moran's picture
rusty-moran's picture
rusty-moran Thursday, 31 Oct 2013 at 10:30pm

Stray Gator that cracked me up! Thanks man.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Friday, 1 Nov 2013 at 12:31am

'What about the ones who walked away without achieving their goal? You have to count them too.'

Says who? I don't, that's their problem. If people train with me when I say, and eat what I say, when I say, I know they will get the result. Even in your case, I give you information, but the reality is, it is nothing like training you in person. Plus, the nutrition. Your inexperience and old habits will greatly colour your interpretation of what I tell you, even though you may not consciously want that to occur. The classic is the client that will do a few sessions and go it alone. Nearly always what they end up doing is nothing like they have been shown, despite thinking that they are. Fun and games. As you experienced blindboy its hard, even at the total beginner level. The effort required is hard. but its simultaneously extremely safe and doable., for anyone, can be adapted to anyone. My newest client has had several vertebra replaced in his upper spine, had useless, endless rehab, and a year later can't work as he can't have his arms over his head, and is in constant pain. He has come to me, because I have trained another client in Port Lincoln who had the same issue and now does anything they like. Its an extremely high risk scenario, and my reputation is on the line. I have heaps of clients in similar scenarios. Recently a young, depressed girl in constant pain, was about to get her knee caps replaced, ridiculous, but I have heaps of success stories with knees, so came to see me and now, 5 months later, runs and plays basketball.' pain free.

And it just keeps getting harder. I enable people to be able to train harder and harder. so, they keep adapting and get fitter. To truly be getting truly fit, you must thrive and be healthy. Harder and harder, some people run at the very thought of it, that's their problem. Then the 'I can pump out 20 no probs mate,' brigade. 'Gee look you croaked at 2, with a quarter of the weight', not as fit and strong as you think, eh.' 'This shit's fucked!' See ya later muscles.

I am only bothering with this blindboy because you obviously, passionately want to surf, and you expressed frustration with your back etc. But I honestly don't care what you choose to do, or what you think of me, or my methods. That's pointless, and your issue. I have given you enough info to think about, info about recovery which is crucial, and glaringly misunderstood. Put simply, if you have a wall two bricks high, you need two bricks. You want 3 bricks high, two bricks wont do it, you have to get a 3rd brick, 4 bricks high, same, and so on and so on. Unbelievably simple as it seems, people spend wasted years trying to build and support tissue from nothing. trying to build 4 and 5 bricks high with 2, or ok, ya twisted my arm, I'll get 3. And years hammering their hormones and immunity into oblivion. What you do with the info is up to you.

The eggs? 2 dozen, cream, butter, milk, cheese, every day, for years and years. No explanation?

As far as winning over the masses... ever heard of the 4 Second Abbinator Plus. Who in their right mind would buy one? Who in their right minds would buy Testostreme X, studies showed 350% extra growth... 'beware... may result in abnormally high muscular growth.' I always remind my students about Oprah. All the time, money and resources in the world at her fingertips. a new expert every week. If only she could just stop eating like a buffalo. 3 sets of 20... is that all, I'll take 10!

I have been in this for 40 plus years blindboy. I know how good those results I posted are, along with my previous stuff. Now, 'the study' may be real. Where's the actual results? Post them.

Wellymon, there's intensity and intensity. If you want to see if blindboy's study is the real deal, you have 1 option. Do it, to the letter. Only then will you really know, and really be able to to say yes or no.

High intensity training is awesome if done properly, but is extremely demanding, and must be teamed with expert nutrition and recovery techniques. Thats where most people bomb out no matter how they train. Especially athletes. The very attributes that make them so competitive also make them prone to skimping on recovery, and not being able to grasp or cope with it.

Nutrition is hilarious. Paleo coconut protein puffs? Spare me. Variety? Some one should have told our non obese ancestors that... I think I'll have strawberries today, maybe 6 coloured veges, instead of 7. Seasons, no fridges, no door to door freight... no problemo.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 1 Nov 2013 at 5:47am

independence limited,freedom is made for you my friend freedom my choice is made for you my friend your speech is made for you my friend. it will work how i say, you can do it your own way if its done just how i say.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Friday, 1 Nov 2013 at 6:09am

Hell Upskirt, with such enormous healing powers, Port Lincon is going to be swamped with disciples once the rest of the world realizes your the second coming of jesus.
Have they erected the statue of you overlooking the harbour yet?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 1 Nov 2013 at 7:14am

uplift, like many on the site I appreciate that you take the trouble to offer advice on fitness. My comments are not really related to my own training as much as to the wider issues in which I have always had an interest. So they are not meant as criticism though I will admit to the occasional piss take.
One of the things I would point out about your results is that, while you may not be aware of it, there is almost certainly some selection going on. What I mean by this is that in order to benefit, people have to be willing to workout. That immediately selects out a large fraction of the population who literally wouldn't go to a gym or exercise seriously to save their life. Those who do choose to follow your regime may have all sorts of problems now but have probably had some positive experience of exercise earlier in their life.......they are likely to be genetically based responders. This is why good scientists try to use a broad cross section of the population and control groups.
You also said that one person following a regime proves that it works which is not really true. What works for one might not work for all or even a significant minority. Also with that technique to know that it worked you would really have to do a glucose tolerance test before and after as that was the main benefit shown by the research. Something that would apply to your own work too uplift. Link up with your mate the doctor and get some blood tests done before and after on your clients. Demonstrate improved or stable cholesterol levels on your diet and improved insulin response and you are starting to gather real evidence for your claims.
Back problem? Me? I had a minor twinge from lazy technique a couple of months ago but It disappeared in 48 hours. Surfing and training normally now.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Friday, 1 Nov 2013 at 7:50am

Uplift meets Laird. Uplift tells Laird he's not fit enough. Laird tells Uplift he can turn him into a big wave surfer like him. Uplift ups the ante and claims that Laird is not reaching his full potential. An arm wrestle ensues. Laird wins with his right arm, uplift with his left. An uneasy truce is formed and the two become life long buddies where they talk endlessly about themselves to each other. A happy ending:)

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Friday, 1 Nov 2013 at 8:59am

10 average clients guys, then all that wisdom will be on display. It would be hilarious. Post the results, experts. Go boys, the clients will flock to you, that part will be easy, then with all the expertise, the rest will be even easier. 12 weeks, back it up.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Friday, 1 Nov 2013 at 9:02am

But there's still those feeble strength levels blindjelly, jelly, you said it remember.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Friday, 1 Nov 2013 at 10:19am

How many people have you guys trained, say in the last year? Or your lives, care to put the results, the experience. What would you tell your clients, even to entice them. About the TV shows you've watched? The books you've read? I'm doing 8 today, I reckon that's more than all of you combined have done in a lifetime. But, don't let that stop you being experts.

stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2 Friday, 1 Nov 2013 at 10:41am

'What about the ones who walked away without achieving their goal? You have to count them too.'

Says who? I don't, that's their problem. If people play trains with me when I say, and switch tracks when I say, I know they will get the results. Trains will run on time, no crashes will happen, no trains one will get hurt, and everyone will have a great time and go home happy.

Even in your case, I give you information, but the reality is, it is nothing like playing trains in person.
Plus, the ignorance! Confusing Thomas the Tank Engine with Toby the Tram!! Your inexperience and old habits will greatly colour your interpretation of what I tell you, even though you may not consciously want that to occur.

The classic is you will do a few sessions on my train set and then go it alone. Nearly always you’ll end up doing is nothing like you’ll have been shown, despite thinking that you are. Saying ‘Choo Choo’ in the wrong voice. Making the whistle sound in B flat instead of high C. Playing a conductor when you should be playing the engineer, or being a driver at a time you should be the Fat Controller.

Fun and games. As you experienced blindboy its hard, even at the total beginner level. The effort required is hard. but its simultaneously extremely safe and doable., for anyone, can be adapted to anyone. My newest train set has had several of its track pieces replaced in the tunnel, had useless, endless crossover points that I’ve had to replace, and a year later works as if its got electricity running through it. Which it might have, now I think about it.

High intensity trains are an extremely high risk scenario, and my reputation is on the line. I have helped heaps of train lovers all over Port Lincoln in similar scenarios. Recently a young, depressed girl in constant pain, was about to get her knee caps replaced, ridiculous, but I showed her that she can put her train set on a flat board and sit on a chair instead of kneeling and now, 5 months later, we’re almost besties.

And it just keeps getting betterer. I enable people to be able to play trains harderer and longerer, getting fatterer and slowerer. To truly be getting truly fat, you must sit longerer and longerer, and drink as much fizzy drinks and eat as much eggs, cream, butter, milk, cheese, mars bars and other essential food groups as possible, every day, for years and years.

I am only bothering with this blindboy because you obviously, passionately want to play trains, and you expressed frustration with how to build tunnels and stuff. Put simply, if you want a tunnel two bricks high, you need two bricks. You want 3 bricks high, two bricks wont do it, you have to get a 3rd brick, 4 bricks high, same, and so on and so on. Unbelievably simple as it seems, people spend wasted years trying to build and support model railways from nothing. trying to build 4 and 5 bricks high with 2, or ok, ya twisted my arm, I'll get 3. And years hammering their wives and friends into oblivion. What you do with the info is up to you.

I have been doing this for 40 plus years blindboy. I know how good it feels. And how good high intensity model training feels, too.

High intensity training is awesome if done properly, but is extremely demanding, and must be teamed with expert nutrition and recovery techniques. Thats where most people bomb out no matter how good they think they play trains. Especially people with imagination. The very attribute that make them so interesting for model training also make them unwilling to spend time with it.

Ignorance is hilarious. Percy the Small Engine? Spare me. Someone should have told Ringo that... I think I'll play with Thomas today, maybe Toby tomorrow, and Anna and Clarabel all weekend, instead of Gordon. No friends ... no problemo.

How many trains can you guys controlled, say in the last year? Or your lives, care to put the results, the experience. What would you tell your friends, even to entice them to play a little bit, say, one rainy afternoon? Have you ever even watched Thomas the Train Engine? About the TV shows you've watched? The Thomas books you've read? I 'm doing 8 trains today, I reckon that's more than all of you combined have done in a lifetime. But, don't let that stop you being experts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_the_Small_Engine

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 1 Nov 2013 at 12:17pm

lovely work mr gator......brilliant .....choo chooooooo.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 20 Aug 2016 at 12:30am

Yoda comes and also helps, probably placebo though.
Yeeewwwww.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Friday, 1 Nov 2013 at 10:06pm

'10 average clients guys, then all that wisdom will be on display. It would be hilarious. Post the results, experts. Go boys, the clients will flock to you, that part will be easy, then with all the expertise, the rest will be even easier. 12 weeks, back it up.'

Where's the ten average guys? Photo's? Conveniently left that bit out. It would be South Park style hilarious.

Honestly, losing ya blubber guts is heaps easier than that wellymon. Just try to fire up a few brain cells and see if you can override ya greedy guts and eat properly. Training away blubber is a mugs, a dimwits game. Build some muscle. We have plenty of light dumbells down in the toddlers creche. YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!

10 average people, 12 weeks, post the results, simple.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 2 Nov 2013 at 8:25am

Hi welly that's great work, keep at it, and try finishing your workout with that 3 x 20s max effort on a rowing machine or exercise bike. If nothing else it is a nice buzz!

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 2 Nov 2013 at 9:20am

Cheers BB, will do.

Cheers also Uplift, great positive professional trainers advice. Your awesome.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 2 Nov 2013 at 11:11am

Yep, and I'll do another 30 odd sessions next week, helping even more people. And thats the first thing I tell them. Training off blubber is for dimwits. Learn a bit of self control, and stop sucking so much piss, and jamming shit down your throat. Thats actual Divinity, Self love and shows a bit of respect and concern for the millions of little kids crawling around in rubbish dumps starving to death.

Or beat your blubbery chest and ask em to give you a trophy and award and accolades for your monumental, planet changing magnificence of losing some hard earned blubber.

You tried to be a smartarse, so don't start squealin and whinin if it comes back.

And again, ''experts', go out and get your 10 clients (should be a cinch for you lot), 12 weeks, post the results. Or keep yappin up a shit storm.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Saturday, 2 Nov 2013 at 11:21am

I would expect that you are quite experienced with "Self Love" Uplift.

Choooo-choo

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 2 Nov 2013 at 11:23am

With all due respect uplift you are the one making claims and, to be honest, what you have posted so far tells us nothing about the potentially damaging effects of your high cholesterol diet. There are two possibilities here; one, you are right in which case you are holding back scientific progress in this area by refusing to have your methods tested or; two, you are recklessly endagering the long term health of your clients by not monitoring their cholesterol levels. I have no interest in training anyone else, never mind ten. Apart from anything else I have no accreditation or insurance in that area so could be bankrupted by some dimwit dropping a weight on their foot.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 2 Nov 2013 at 11:25am

Yeh, look, another hit, another buck for the team.