Drug aware Margs'

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Monday, 6 Apr 2015 at 9:55am

My swell prediction.....

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 6:50am

North east is the wind for box & really doesnt hold over 6-8ft although a few crazy mutations have broken this barrier .ie box pro comp when ryan hardy won was ten ft or more but for a standup i doubt it

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 9:50am
caml wrote:

Sheepie do you see the swell on the 15th at margs any good ?

Well, cam, as I have said, I am no expert on W.A local conditions.... But what I can see is serious swell in the order of 10, maybe 12 foot..... Looking at gfs, I'd say 10k offshores in the morning, backing off late morning to glass..... Possible light seabreaze in the arvo, pending on movement of high..... Must say, decent offshore flow up towards the nw.... Stiff at jakes, bluff etc......

Are you guys still writing off that madagascar TD having any infuence later in the waiting period? looks to me like it's still worth watching re' linking with southern storms....

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 10:42am

as i wrote in the initial bells thread .
Back to back swells early ( days 1-3,4 ), then a chance of a westerly ( WNW ) component swell ( ie that Madagascar origin TD swell will intermix with ambient WSW sea state , the problem is the timing of that combined swell will probably hit first under NW wind regime as the sub tropical cutoff that it turns into will travel for 1000-2000 kms ontop of the initial STC produced swell .
So i held out on saying that the TD would combine with the Southern storm track or even enhance it as it as drifted down south into higher lattitudes . Reality is it'll be ridge supported all the way to alongside the WA coast , but long before that time be washed out of any real strength .
If anything the next LWT node advancing/amplifying may be the draw down for this system to join the southern storm track . But generally speaking the wavelength / period of the LWT torugh amplifications tend to be around 10-14 days and rare minimum of 7-8 .
So maybe too late and most likely too east .
No doubt by the end of the contest waiting period more offshores will be had with alot ( long period ) of residual WSW swell . The charts aren't really showing anything substantial I'm speculating purely on the rhythym of the LWT and SST's of the region .

troppo dichotomy's picture
troppo dichotomy Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 10:43am

sheepdog ystrdy wrote:and for a millisecond,you are in the white beam peacefully heading towards the"other side"

excellent writing!i was reliving ur vivid description.i've been there,felt that!hold downs, sometimes are beautiful.
loved the way u talked bout sneaking out the doggy door vs should've stayed inside....

back on to topic.ok we have a big wave tour.if the new wsl pro show doesnt tackle big main break it mite have 2b renamed the small wave tour?6ft n under only thnx!does wsl really stand for wave small league?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 11:01am

Thanks, troppo... :) I think when you have a lungful, You can go into an almost trance like state, deepwater waves in particular..... Shallow "drag and tumbles" I find I used more o2, cos of the anxiety of a possible reef bashing...... But the worse I reckon is the "hit the chop WHACK" - skipping like a pebble down the face winded and then beaten... Not just the ragdolling, but the pain of the belting, and no litres of air in the lungs.... I swear I have felt myself break into a sweat underwater..... Truly unpleasant...

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Friday, 10 Apr 2015 at 7:06am

Heard that Parko was getting an 8 ft board made , if so sounds like potentially serious conditions are looming and if the whole contest is going to be large i wonder how the girls will go.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Friday, 10 Apr 2015 at 7:37am

Surely they wouldnt make the girls go out like back in 1990 when pauli menczer copped a 15ft closeout set over the falls in perfect big surf at mainys left

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Friday, 10 Apr 2015 at 8:02am

Big waves for a WSL event without PWCs, now that would be worth watch ... but for entirely dark reasons.

Read a story about Pauline Menczer contemplating big 2 mile back in the day, think she decided not to paddle into the monsters but she charged elsewhere. Doesn't surprise me she would paddle out at big Margs. Darn, she dropped in on me on a barrelling mid north coast wave one day, bless her tiny little socks.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Friday, 10 Apr 2015 at 8:14am

Think she had no choice at margs like first heat of the day send the girls out while we wake up n get ready for the entertainment ahead

troppo dichotomy Friday, 10 Apr 2015 at 8:34am

equal rights,equal pay,equal waves=equality
long live womens lib!
women's surfing is my new favourite spectator sport along with womens tennis n netball!
do they play footy aswell?

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 10 Apr 2015 at 9:51am

Womens Grid Iron Now that sends you Troppo.
What a sight for sore eyes indeed;)

troppo dichotomy Friday, 10 Apr 2015 at 11:19am

thnx welly!i'll have 2check that out

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Friday, 10 Apr 2015 at 12:58pm
wellymon wrote:

Womens Grid Iron Now that sends you Troppo.
What a sight for sore eyes indeed;)

I think your overdue for a stay at the temple welly ............ :)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 10 Apr 2015 at 1:47pm

No.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 7:36am

Druggywear pro surf forecast still looking good for big waves weds onwards & another xxl size swell on the week out radar looking like the black mamba on the color bob charts.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 8:02am

Yeah I'd say now building to 8-10ft Wednesday afternoon, secondary similar pulse Friday morning then the monster S/SW groundswell in the vicinity of 12-15ft.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 8:11am

Boys and girls have been warned well in advance for this so they better not have the excuse of ive only got a 6-1........these are pros,no excuses now.haha

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 8:13am

Actually going to be interesting what size Kelly will ride if its real big, 5-9 ? dont think so but...you never know.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 9:01am

Waiting to see Slater paddle out on Firewire gun ......is there such a surfboard ?

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 9:27am

He needs the can opener,better being goofy for that though

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 10:39am

Got my froth on with this comp..... Will be interesting to see viewer numbers....

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 10:52am

Didn't King Kelly retire after Bells that's what I was told in Bali? I hope not thou he is
pro surfing and the only surfer that can actually talk with intelligence.
Long Live the KING

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 10:53am

No doesnt matter norcho .who are u anyway have we met ?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 10:56am

Hey margs correspondents...... Out of the current pros, who do you think has the game to stand out in serious Main break?
Hoping for some wave action similar to the first segment in this...

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 11:05am

Norcho the assymetric doesnt need to be a goofyfooter . No probs its shaped for the wave not the stance . Smitty jr can tell u that

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 11:06am

Yes name same as ----- thorson?caml

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 11:10am

WSL have just released there Margies forecast.
Possibility of it being 15 -20 ft.

thomas11's picture
thomas11's picture
thomas11 Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 11:12am
Sheepdog wrote:

Hey margs correspondents...... Out of the current pros, who do you think has the game to stand out in serious Main break?
Hoping for some wave action similar to the first segment in this...

JJF, Kelly, Mick, CJ, Owen, Bede, Freddy P, Bourez, Otten, Ace, Parko.
No Brazzo, Jordy and Taj would probe go alright also

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 11:19am

Ok wasn't quite sure on that caml.im nat but laying them into some big runways at margs on your forehand would be pretty special I reckon.sent smitt jr.a photo I got of a can opener I saw from a bloke in redhead 6 channel single,dont know how to post on here though.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 11:24am

Bede Durbridge = man turns at maxing Margs.

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 11:25am

Pretty sure mike mcauliffe will be working behind the scenes. Give em all a lesson on man handling some beasts

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 11:25am

Thomas.... I have never surfed margs.... From what I can gather, it's a football field takeoff area.... I agree re' freddy p....... maybe Cj, Jordy, Parko........But do you think Slats will shine? I know he has never performed well at Sunset, another big intricate type of reef..... Will be interesting to watch.....

thomas11's picture
thomas11's picture
thomas11 Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 4:32pm
Sheepdog wrote:

Thomas.... I have never surfed margs.... From what I can gather, it's a football field takeoff area.... I agree re' freddy p....... maybe Cj, Jordy, Parko........But do you think Slats will shine? I know he has never performed well at Sunset, another big intricate type of reef..... Will be interesting to watch.....

Just said Kelly because well its Kelly you can never count him out anywhere and he charges the big stuff as good as any on tour.
You'd think all the Hawaiian guys should do alright if it gets big like forecasted.
I havent surfed Margs either, and never anything that big, once it gets over 7-8ft I'm pretty useless (ill go searching for that spot thats a few ft shorter)

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 5:09pm

Love to see a Caml/Duttsy expression session on the big day.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 7:08pm

Fr76 why would u wanta see that shit . We used to do crossovers which was home town entertainment on 6ft waves .so what ! but we have had our day .

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 7:11pm
norchock wrote:

Yes name same as ----- thorson?caml

Ok .got ya . Clues ; redhead , packing baccy cones , smitty . We are about same age -+ 5 yrs ?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 7:14pm
Sheepdog wrote:

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 7:26pm

Sheepy not mean to hava go at ya just using your quote as a good headline . Ok firstly margys main isnt a football field unless you are lost . If you know the wave you can catch every set in same spot easy . Second like cloudbreak the pros didnt charge or manhandle or watever , a rare few did catch some waves but not biggest sets . Same will be the case here . Sats looking like big margs 18 ft sets are possible . With a take off like mavs not many of the swt guys are capable . Big margs is for big wave surfers only . Same as cloudbreak . It is a big heavy wave and the wsl surfers may go ok up to about 3 metres but not 5m @ 18 sec . That requires 9-11ft boards to get real take off and i dont mean shoulder hopping

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 7:40pm
caml wrote:

Sheepy not mean to hava go at ya just using your quote as a good headline . Ok firstly margys main isnt a football field unless you are lost . If you know the wave you can catch every set in same spot easy . Second like cloudbreak the pros didnt charge or manhandle or watever , a rare few did catch some waves but not biggest sets . Same will be the case here . Sats looking like big margs 18 ft sets are possible . With a take off like mavs not many of the swt guys are capable . Big margs is for big wave surfers only . Same as cloudbreak . It is a big heavy wave and the wsl surfers may go ok up to about 3 metres but not 5m @ 18 sec . That requires 9-11ft boards to get real take off and i dont mean shoulder hopping

Fuck I hope it's that big.. Gunna be interesting to watch

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 7:43pm

Nahh, she's right caml..... As i said, Don't know margs at all... Only going on what I've read/heard, so i appreciate the input.. Was always under the impression that there was a general gradient re' sea floor, and that getting caught inside on the really big days was par for the course.... Didn't know that the take off area was more concentrated.... Cheers, man......
So who's your pick re' standout? Might have to get on to Betfair lol.....

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 7:59pm

Obviously they wont run comp when its 15ft plus becos the bay closes out & its real big wave surfer stuff . Paddle outs can be 25 mins etc etc etc

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 8:09pm

Well they should

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 8:12pm

25mins well thats game over for those fellas Caml
5m @ 18 secs they might have to wait awhile then for the next set eh.........!
Classic stuff.
Love it;)

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 8:14pm

This swell has been forecast for a fair while. Surely the pros could each find a 8'0" or 9'0" from anywhere in oz and pay for it to be sent to west oz in time for the comp. and use jet ski assist to get out the back.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 8:17pm

"Ok firstly margys main isnt a football field unless you are lost . If you know the wave you can catch every set in same spot easy "

"Obviously they wont run comp when its 15ft plus becos the bay closes out & its real big wave surfer stuff"

So... When the bay is closing out, the take off area is still very easy to pinpoint?

Secondly, lets say in the 10 to 12 foot region, who is your main pick to stand out? Which pro do you reckon has the "game" for that type of wave - 10 to 12 foot classic margs?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 8:32pm

Owen

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 8:39pm

Anyone out there have the answer?serious stuff at that size...caml goes alright.

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 8:43pm

Fuck the pro's lets focus on who's gonna get the biggest floggin.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 8:55pm

Just googled that Caml wave at gnaraloo . Fuck your a madman

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 8:55pm

Caml right on age ,f 76 dutts got nothing at that size,good bloke but not what yr makin out,me neither.