McTavish Internship

ryder's picture
ryder started the topic in Tuesday, 17 Feb 2015 at 3:07pm

anybody want to work for free at mctavish for 3 months?
http://www.mctavish.com.au/blog/post/internship-available

so an internship is another name for scab labour?

ad reads as follows,

Are you looking for a foot in the door in the surf industry?
We have a fun and challenging internship opportunity for the right applicant at our Byron Bay headquarters.
If you're an eager to learn and driven person wanting to work in the surf industry we have what you're looking for.
You'll be answering to, and learning from our Creative Director and Sales Manager but working closely with the entire McTavish organisation from factory, sales, marketing and management staff on a range of new projects, as well as performing day-to-day administration duties.

Main duties include but are not exclusive to:
General office administration
Assist with event organisation, promotion and management
Maintain website (processing orders, adding and removing stock)
Answering phone/general customer service
Photographing and uploading product imagery
Photo retouching and uploading

The position is unpaid and will run for 3 months beginning Feb 14th.

Please send your resumé to [email protected]

Only successful applicant will be contacted.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 4:07pm

thats going to set him off again.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 4:43pm

I read the article and the comments .
Some brief comments . A lot of negativity about his religion . Fair enough people have strong views about this . I don't . As in most religions extremists are the problems . In all my dealings with Bob he has NEVER preached or acted extreme . There are way too many people who desert a person who has strong religious beliefs . Friends and family .

I don't know enough about who is right or wrong regarding short boards or vee's or who did what .
I do know that in most disputes you can have two opposite views and often the truth is somewhere in the middle . The judges who decide inductees into the Hall of Fame and Lopez's view convinces me that Bob HAS had a monumental influence on surfing .

"Great read. Always good to hear Bobs interviews. This era of surfers are bit before my time but i think all ages appreciate the impact these legends have had on surfing and its progression to where it is now. Always been intrigued with Bobs affiliation with the jehovahs so took a moment to look at site he quoted, pretty interesting stuff. Have to say his won my respect for being man enough to stick to his guns when it comes to his beliefs even though every time a Bob interview comes up there's always a handful of nobody's that love to slag him. I guess that old school hardness. Legend in and out of the water!"

The above comment resonated with me .

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 4:48pm

Good onya Hutchy.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 4:55pm

Greenough ain't a nobody.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 5:30pm

That ain’t no hodad, squid lips- that’s George Greenough.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 5:47pm

A lot of negativity about this one comment .

"His influence on the revolution was more imagined than actually based in reality. "

It may have been badly worded ( would this be the first mistake in an interview ) or it was his opinion . The opinions I have read of Bob by people on this thread are on another planet . He gave his own expert opinion why he thought George's boards were inefficient . He said they all were friends with George , he thought him a wonderful guy and they loved him . He considered George a visionary of photography and an amazing human being . A visionary !

I thought his descriptions and views on Lynch , Young , John John , Rasta and Yeager were perfect .

"The Right Stuff "

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 4:18pm
freeride76 wrote:

Greenough ain't a nobody.

have you ridden any of his edge designs?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 5:46pm

yeah I have.

just once, was interesting.
v. different feelings.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 6:12pm

By the way Hutchy, making employees pay for their own tools as an apprentice on less than award wages and not paying tool allowance is illegal. We weren't expected to buy cheap tools either, only the best was expected of us. Later on in my 3rd year people laughed at me when i brought my own tools on my first day, the owners of the company payed for everything. But that was a electrical trades union policy. It was great working for them, i asked for 6 weeks off to go to indo for my second trip and they paid me for 6 weeks even though i hadnt earnt that many hours of holidays.
I lived life up in Bali and outer islands etc the whole time, then went home with several bags of clothes, then came back and worked off my hours to pay back my holiday pay.
Needless to say i felt job security in that position and very lucky.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Wednesday, 18 Aug 2021 at 5:51pm

I would also expect the tools of your industry would be expensive . Would have thought that most apprentices would use their bosses tools but really don't know .

Good to hear that the 3rd year was so interesting . I assume you got some great waves in Indo . Good to hear the union looking after the newbies .

When a mate and I finished Year 12 we worked at the Byron meat works for three weeks in the Deli area ( hams etc) . Hardest work and long hours due to O/T .
On our second day the shop steward came to us saying we needed to pay the annual fee . We said we were only there for 3 weeks and he said not if we didn't pay the fee.

We figured that we paid for 2 kegs for their Xmas party .

wally's picture
wally's picture
wally Wednesday, 18 Aug 2021 at 6:56pm

I’m just glad you got paid, Hutchy. It wasn’t an ‘internship’.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 18 Aug 2021 at 7:11pm

Sunova interns pay for airfare to Thailand - visas and may have supply own sheets and dishes
No wage paid - 3 mths Duration

You do get a internship completement Certificate..

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 18 Aug 2021 at 7:13pm
wally wrote:

I’m just glad you got paid, Hutchy. It wasn’t an ‘internship’.

no Byron meatworker worth their salt would let scab labour within cooee of that place.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Wednesday, 18 Aug 2021 at 7:53pm

An internship is a voluntary scheme to help provide knowledge and experience . If the boss doesn't do it you don't have to go back the next day .

I heard of the meat works in a town on the Murray today . Wont name the town as Freeride will try and dob him in . Union guy came saw the boss a few years back ,Said all the workers should be in the union . He said to the bloke he could tell them and also tell them their jobs will be over as he would close the factory . Never saw him again . Employs 400 people and apparently looks after them. Biggest employer in the town .

We got paid very well ( first real job ) and earned EVERY cent . Paid for many nights at the Bruns pub over Xmas .

Paying one days wage for 15 days work and tax . Sounds a fair deal ( for their party ).