McTavish Internship

ryder's picture
ryder started the topic in Tuesday, 17 Feb 2015 at 3:07pm

anybody want to work for free at mctavish for 3 months?
http://www.mctavish.com.au/blog/post/internship-available

so an internship is another name for scab labour?

ad reads as follows,

Are you looking for a foot in the door in the surf industry?
We have a fun and challenging internship opportunity for the right applicant at our Byron Bay headquarters.
If you're an eager to learn and driven person wanting to work in the surf industry we have what you're looking for.
You'll be answering to, and learning from our Creative Director and Sales Manager but working closely with the entire McTavish organisation from factory, sales, marketing and management staff on a range of new projects, as well as performing day-to-day administration duties.

Main duties include but are not exclusive to:
General office administration
Assist with event organisation, promotion and management
Maintain website (processing orders, adding and removing stock)
Answering phone/general customer service
Photographing and uploading product imagery
Photo retouching and uploading

The position is unpaid and will run for 3 months beginning Feb 14th.

Please send your resumé to [email protected]

Only successful applicant will be contacted.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 25 Feb 2015 at 7:54pm

Jeez, when I worked the prawns in Exmouth gulf we'd always joke about making sweet love to a squid tube.

But hammering a nautilus...that's just nasty.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 26 Feb 2015 at 10:07am

Behind the scenes, as an intern at the 2014 Quiksilver Pro.

"Day 1: Chris also showed me how to monetize the advertisements so that they couldn’t be stolen by viewers on-line. It was quite overwhelming to begin with as I had absolutely no experience."

https://jaxter1893.wordpress.com/2014/04/04/quiksilver-pro-2014-internship/

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Thursday, 26 Feb 2015 at 10:27am

2 weeks I can understand, but expecting someone to do it for 3 months is not right.

As with many things that can be done within the law, it doesn't make them right.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 26 Feb 2015 at 10:27am

Only took him to Saturday to complain about all the petrol he was using at his expense driving to and from the contest site.

As a kid, I can understand his excitement at mixing it with the 'pro's' but sounds like he only really learnt one aspect of the job and very little else.

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Thursday, 26 Feb 2015 at 10:28am

Maybe the solution is crowdfunding internships.:-)))

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Friday, 27 Feb 2015 at 2:53pm

a fair day's pay for a fair day's work.

clif's picture
clif's picture
clif Monday, 2 Mar 2015 at 2:43pm

All you need to know about the frenzied competition to work for no pay.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/parenting/2015/02/25/the-internship-that...

I can hear the laughter in the boardrooms from here.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 20 Mar 2015 at 12:19pm

Mctavish internship is still available.....no takers

Cool vid on there site of Josie Prendergast Stylish Mal surfing from the 15 year old.

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Friday, 20 Mar 2015 at 12:38pm

No takers hey, I'm impressed now with the young folk, perhaps the future is looking brighter.:-)

Udo, I hope you reported them to the proper authority, making a 15 year old ride a Mal is child abuse!

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Friday, 20 Mar 2015 at 4:29pm

Young blokes don't know what they are passing up. We would have given our right arm to work in a board place back in the 60s. Don't tell me there would not have been any benefits !

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Friday, 20 Mar 2015 at 4:57pm
thermalben wrote:

Here is the official government line on unpaid internships, from the Fair Work Ombudman.

An unpaid work experience arrangement or unpaid internship can be lawful if it is a vocational placement (i.e. formal work experience arrangement that is part of an education or training course) or if there is no employment relationship found to exist. In particular:

the person must not be doing “productive” work  the main benefit of the arrangement should be to the person doing the placement, and  it must be clear that the person is receiving a meaningful learning experience, training or skill development. 

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/about-us/policies-and-guides/fact-sheets/unpaid-work/unpaid-work

This page at the Fair Work website has some more info:

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/about-us/news-and-media-releases/2014-media-r...

And, includes this toward the bottom:

"For example, an unpaid internship for a marketing assistant required to do filing, mail-outs, attend trade events on behalf of the company and answer the phones for seven to eight hours a day, five days a week, is probably a job you should be getting paid for."

And, I thought this situation was quite interesting:

"Case 3: The Fair Work Ombudsman received requests for assistance from four university under- graduates who enrolled in a three-month course (with a $7999 fee) with an advertising agency that described itself as a “dynamic, all-encompassing business marketing and development company”. They worked full-time hours for between 7 and 13 weeks on real client projects including advertising, marketing, business strategies, graphic and web design. Our investigation found that the company gained a commercial benefit from the work but the employees received no actual formal training. Whilst we found the four employees had been underpaid more than $30,000, the company was subsequently placed into voluntary administration, preventing the Fair Work Ombudsman from commencing legal proceedings. However, our concerns about the potential contraventions of the Australian Consumer Law (ACL) have been referred to the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC)"

Cocky employer charging a fee to train them!

C'mon Mctavish, can you go one better?

RihanaGorge's picture
RihanaGorge's picture
RihanaGorge Thursday, 17 Mar 2016 at 5:30pm
thermalben wrote:

Here is the official government line on unpaid internships, from the Fair Work Ombudman.

An unpaid work experience arrangement or unpaid internship can be lawful if it is a vocational placement (i.e. formal work experience arrangement that is part of an education or training course) or if there is no employment relationship found to exist. In particular:

the person must not be doing “productive” work  the main benefit of the arrangement should be to the person doing the placement, and  it must be clear that the person is receiving a meaningful learning experience, training or skill development. 

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/about-us/policies-and-guides/fact-sheets/unpaid-work/unpaid-work

I want to have the Hand craft Internship in India, please advise me how can I get handicraft internship?

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Friday, 18 Mar 2016 at 6:13pm
ryder wrote:

anybody want to work for free at mctavish for 3 months?
http://www.mctavish.com.au/blog/post/internship-available
so an internship is another name for scab labour?

ad reads as follows,
Are you looking for a foot in the door in the surf industry?
We have a fun and challenging internship opportunity for the right applicant at our Byron Bay headquarters.
If you're an eager to learn and driven person wanting to work in the surf industry we have what you're looking for.
You'll be answering to, and learning from our Creative Director and Sales Manager but working closely with the entire McTavish organisation from factory, sales, marketing and management staff on a range of new projects, as well as performing day-to-day administration duties.
Main duties include but are not exclusive to:
General office administration
Assist with event organisation, promotion and management
Maintain website (processing orders, adding and removing stock)
Answering phone/general customer service
Photographing and uploading product imagery
Photo retouching and uploading
The position is unpaid and will run for 3 months beginning Feb 14th.

Please send your resumé to [email protected]

Only successful applicant will be contacted.

What a bunch of scumbags, I intend to drop in on every mctavish surfboard i see, If i see one in a shop i will give the thumb test to their cheap glass job.
I am so disappointed i didn't see this earlier so I could troll them with their perfect candidate. The creative director and sales manager have just go rid of their own jobs, Again what a bunch of scumbags.
The brand was old and had no relevance earlier now it is a rotten feculent piece of corporate nothing
Scumbags

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 18 Mar 2016 at 6:22pm

Jehovah Witnesses .

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Friday, 18 Mar 2016 at 6:36pm
udo wrote:

Jehovah Witnesses .

Well that would make sense as the religious are usually the most evil and know how to scam their followers, society and government for their own benefit better than any corporation.

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Friday, 18 Mar 2016 at 6:51pm

This shit pisses me off, how could someone basically have a slave for 3 months and morally live with it, Scumbags, the creative director and sales manager are not even on the website as staff profiles .
yes Udo it has the stink of religion.

MCTAVISH SURFBOARDS USE SLAVE LABOUR

Making a Tshirt how do i post a photo

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 11:37am

Berties got some internship spots avail
https://sunovasurfboards.com/en/events/sunova-internships

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 1:03pm

The negative views on Bob and internships is unbelievable . As pointed out above they are legal and often highly sort after .

If I was young , unemployed and interested in the surfing industry I would jump at the opportunity !!!!

An opportunity to learn and be productive . Also would look good on a resume . Why do SO many have " contempt before investigation " ?

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 1:16pm

Even if I had a paid job in something that gave me no satisfaction and was interested in the surfing industry I would leave it for 3 months ( work part time somewhere else if I had no savings ) for the opportunity to learn and get experience at a great surfboard manufacturer ( best Mal I have owned ) .

If this internship is not taken up by a girl or boy it is a terrible indictment of NOT the internship but the laziness and lack of ambition of young people today .

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 1:39pm

The McTavish add was for general office admin duties.
Something you can quite easily get paid experience anywhere else and nothing exclusive to the surfboard industry.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 1:45pm

Many of the responses here have really pissed me off ! From people who obviously do not know Bob . So abusive that I am going to name udo , wharfjunkie , ryder , shaun , lost doggy , blowin , freeride76 and rule303 . Others can be negative on internships but those named have been cruel and abusive . A VERY common trail on this site !

You all have done great damage to your Karma . Why ? Does it give you pleasure ? Do you think others respect this shit ? Do you think you all are that much better ? Are you all perfect ?

A great bunch of f..k wits imo !!!!!!!

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 2:01pm

Yes I am perfect.
A perfect fuckwit.

troppo dichotomy's picture
troppo dichotomy's picture
troppo dichotomy Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 6:56pm

Nobody is perfect.
I am nobody.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 7:07pm

Hutchy, unfortunately I do know the inner workings of much of the Byron Bay surfboard industry over a long period, including those of the gentleman in question.

I don't believe I said anything abusive, just invited a response from Bob.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 7:14pm

Show me where I’ve been cruel and abusive.

glassworks.san-elanda's picture
glassworks.san-... Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 8:04pm
Hutchy 19 wrote:

Many of the responses here have really pissed me off ! From people who obviously do not know Bob . So abusive that I am going to name udo , wharfjunkie , ryder , shaun , lost doggy , blowin , freeride76 and rule303 . Others can be negative on internships but those named have been cruel and abusive . A VERY common trail on this site !
age brings wisdom Lad
sit back and learn
You all have done great damage to your Karma . Why ? Does it give you pleasure ? Do you think others respect this shit ? Do you think you all are that much better ? Are you all perfect ?

A great bunch of f..k wits imo !!!!!!!

glassworks.san-... Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 8:07pm

age brings wisdom Lad
sit back and learn
bob deserves all he gets

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 8:38pm

Hutchy are you a member of the JW Kingdom ?

Johknee's picture
Johknee's picture
Johknee Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 9:42pm

Six year old thread and people still losing their shit? Sick!!

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 8:05am

The owners of electrical trades businesses are worse. When i started my apprenticeship i got paid $180 a week in 1996. We were basically slave labour chasing walls with angle grinders for conduit to be put in place and all the dirty jobs. It was disgracefull plus we had no tool allowance and were expected to buy our own tools such as battery drills (quality). These days i hope things are much better in the industry but back then the bosses would treat first years with absolutely no respect and then at any party strip apprentices naked and tie them up.Things like that. Bloody disgusting behavior.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 8:43am

You want to see internship scandals, have a look at the events industry.
Pre-covid, I would often hire events management students and they were shocked when they got paid. The assumption is any event work is an unpaid internship arrangement.
Pre-Covid, the big event managers would make serious money, increasing the profit margin by screwing over young people.
I have a lot of sympathy for many event professionals re Covid, but there's more than a few who have been run over by the karma bus.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 11:05am

Blowin - I checked and I was wrong to include you in the group . Sorry !!!! You were not part of the group that piled onto Bob like a pack of rabid dogs and acted like Bullies . The group that showed all of their friends and families on this site their true colours .
Freeride - not as bad as the rest BUT -
"Bob is there every day, he should know what is happening. it's got his name all over it. Pleading ignorance or shoulder shrugging is a bad look."
Demanding a response , knowing that Bob does not have ANY say in how the place is managed and saying it has his name all over it keeps you in this disgraceful pack .

Ground Swell - Are you still an electrician ? Has is been a good career ? You poor petal ! When starting out being asked to do the dirty jobs . Having to buy your OWN tools . Sounds SO unfair ! Surely you should started at the top and had everything given to you .

I have know Bob for a long time . I met him and his wonderful wife on a surf trip . Have had them both to the dinners I host when I visit New Brighton . Met his two sons . Surfed his boards .

What I have seen is a wonderful gentle soul , funny and engaging . Happy to give respect and his time to everyone . Have never heard him say anything bad about anyone . Still works hard to pay the bills . A loving and loyal husband and father . Has not EVER mentioned his religious beliefs if not asked .
No udo I am not religious and I NEVER have a go at anyone for having their own religious beliefs . You are the leader of the pack and part of the F..k Wit Kingdom .

A pioneer of surfboard shaping and in the Australian Surfing Hall of Fame .

The pack of dogs should be ashamed of themselves !!!! I hate Bullies . A good reputation can take years to build and can be smashed in one second . I have zero respect for all of you and will continue to call you out in the future .

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 11:42am

Hutchy goes bang

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 11:48am

Hutchy i worked as a sparky for 10 years mostly in security technician positions in universities all over NSW. I was respected and treated well in that career path. My boss surfed so he would even encourage me to surf during lunch breaks for two hours if the surf was good, as long as i did my hours some other time to make up for it. That was a dream job and most staff respected each other.

However when i was in domestic (multi domestic units construction) for two and a half years the boss, tradesman and fourth years and younger licensed tradesman would pick on all the youngens. This doesnt go on in this day and age but used to be quite viscous. If i were a owner of a business i would not get 17 year old kids to chase walls all day every day with shit quality masks they have to buy themselves and mainly treat apprentices like shit banging them on the head calling them names all day.
One boss i had demanded i climb under his house through a 1foot wide 20cm high hole to wire up his personal home putting new power points throughout the house he just bought and treat the only person who can fit through that hole like shit all day.
This guy was lebanese and is well known for being a cunt.
About five students at my TAFE had also worked for him and two sued him successfully. His name is mud on google reviews of his business. so much so that he is marked as closed down/retired even though he is about 55. He was on steroids which is probabaly why he was such a cunt but he is one person the world can do without, even his wife knew he was a cunt and would apologize for his behavior.
If i owned an electrical business i would not use first year apprentices as cheap labour doing all the dirty work like chasing conduit paths in bricks climbing under buildings with no clearance and full of red back spiders, then sack them before the 3 month trial was up (which is why he was sued by a few apprentices). i would teach them how to roll up a snake, how to roll up an electrical lead, how to twist cable properly,how to use power tools, teach them about Tesla, Edison and other legendary electricians not mock them for not being a knowledgeable licensed electrician standard as a first year.
Once i became a security technician i was respected even though i was only a third year and didnt know crap about security systems i was used to multi domestic electrics. But once a tradesman they didnt need to hire electricians to do all the 240 volt installs, i was qualified to do that stuff and was payed well for it.None of the other staff were used to 240 volt electrics they were used to 12 volt systems.
Anyway my point is dont be a cunt like it should say in the Bible.
That lebo cunt i worked for as a first and second year loved being a cunt and would openly talk to his tradesman about steroid tips and schedules they should be on. He seemed cooked to me.
I really hope he dies.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 11:52am

Hutchy you can calm down mate.
A lot of what you say is true, Bob is a bona fide legend.

But he writes the history and people who write their own history tend to embellish it and leave out anything that is "difficult."

There are many more people around here who are far more familiar with the man, the myth, and the reality than you are.

But yes, Bob is in that factory close to every day.
Or at least was when this subject came up.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 12:07pm

I will calm down Freeride when the pack of rabid dogs leave people alone . The people here is I assume around Byron and not on this site . I went to school with a still best friend who still lives in the Bay . Life member of the surf club . He knows Bob well and holds him in high regard .

When Churchill was asked how history would view him ? He answered , " quite well , as I intend to write it " . Tell me something new .

As you say " Bod is a boa fide legend " . And then you are happy to write on a public forum very negative comments and insinuations about him .

If Bob is in the factory every day ( he is not ) he does it to create beautiful boards and make a quid .

Freeride - you should take a good hard look at yourself MATE .

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 12:32pm

I think your responses are a bit out of whack and disproportionate to the situation Hutchy.
but you are entitled to your views.

I think people are likewise entitled to a view on unpaid internships.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 12:33pm

Me envisioning Hutchy calming down.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 12:42pm

Hutchy , really...??
"The pack of dogs should be ashamed of themselves !!!! I hate Bullies . A good reputation can take years to build and can be smashed in one second . I have zero respect for all of you and will continue to call you out in the future ."

Are you going to bully people on Swellnet who have opinions that differ to yours?

As far as Bob goes , yeah he has contributed to the History of surfing in Australia , as a a lot of us have, but we all have skeletons in out closets , and Bob has his fair share of business dealings/failures....but so what ?

don't shoot the messengers.....

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 1:32pm

I WILL try and shoot down ANYONE bullying and being cruel to others Brutus . Always . Would do the same for you .

You have seen a lot of my posts . Do you think I have Bullied others just because they have a different opinion to myself ? I have reacted to abuse with abuse . As I have said I have a combative nature . When it has been pointed out that I have overstepped I also apologised as I have done to you .

If you can find ONE post where I have bullied anyone without being abused first PLEASE let me know as I owe someone an apology .

I am sure you have contributed to surfing in Australia . Are you in the Hall of Fame ?
If you are then I am sure that you , like Bob , have contributed a lot and deserve extra respect .

Do you agree with the comments and insinuations of those I have named being written on a Public Forum ? If not , why do you criticise me for calling them out .

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 1:40pm

No one was bullying or being cruel Hutchy.

People rightfully and reasonably called into question the ethics of unpaid labour by an icon of the surfboard industry.

You've overshot the mark, again.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 1:49pm

you were patronizing me hutchy

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 2:33pm

You need to re read the comments Freeride . If they were directed at you I would be surprised if you did not find them both abusive and cruel . As I have said I thought they were exactly THAT . That is why they pissed me off so much and especially as it is not the character of the person I know . Your comments -
"Bob is there every day, he should know what is happening. it's got his name all over it. Pleading ignorance or shoulder shrugging is a bad look."
Demanding a response , knowing that Bob does not have ANY say in how the place is managed and saying it has his name all over it keeps you in this disgraceful pack .

When you can admit you overshot the mark , again ?

My complaint is not against anyone who has a negative view on internships . I have pointed out that I can see that they may be beneficial . As I said if I was desperate to get into an industry I would consider doing one . Would do almost anything legal which didn't go against my principles .

Ground swell - you sound like a good boss and I would expect any good boss would try and make any internship/apprenticeship a great learning experience . I have worked for the opposite as well .C..ts are in every industry ( and on this site ) . As a newbie I was prepared to be given the hard jobs and did not expect any favours . Sorry for calling you precious as that wasn't called for .

I am hearing lots of excuses and deflections about what was said about Bob . Only one apology .
I would like to calm down but the lack of remorse and excuses are not helping . If you honestly search your conscious' s and feel you have not been way to hard on a great Australian ( we all have faults ) then your you haven't shitted on your karma .

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 2:40pm

Apology is not warranted, thats why.

People are responsible for their own business practices, end of story.

A response was sought, not given.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 2:44pm

What are you trying to achieve, Hutchy?

To be honest, arguing on the internet ain't all that it's cracked up to be.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 3:20pm

Thermalben-Trying to stick up for anyone who I think has been unfairly treated ( especially a friend ) .

Always have , always will .

Agree with you totally about arguing an the internet or anywhere else !! Hopefully I will learn quickly what a waste of time it is and let karma do the work . Thanks for the advice !

D-Rex's picture
D-Rex's picture
D-Rex Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 3:28pm

Fruitcake is on it's way hutch old son.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 3:33pm

Thermalben - your advice and my response made me remember when I tried to support a colleague at work who was being unfairly treated by a boss . After 6 months I reacted by writing an email of support for my colleague to the boss and his boss . Within 3 months I was sacked ruining a 20 career .

I am a slow learner .

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 4:00pm
Hutchy 19 wrote:

I WILL try and shoot down ANYONE bullying and being cruel to others Brutus . Always . Would do the same for you .

You have seen a lot of my posts . Do you think I have Bullied others just because they have a different opinion to myself ? I have reacted to abuse with abuse . As I have said I have a combative nature . When it has been pointed out that I have overstepped I also apologised as I have done to you .

If you can find ONE post where I have bullied anyone without being abused first PLEASE let me know as I owe someone an apology .

I am sure you have contributed to surfing in Australia . Are you in the Hall of Fame ?
If you are then I am sure that you , like Bob , have contributed a lot and deserve extra respect .

Do you agree with the comments and insinuations of those I have named being written on a Public Forum ? If not , why do you criticise me for calling them out .

Ok Hutchy , someone does wrong to you , you do the same back...so there is no dialogue , just abuse, therein lies the problem we are trying to address.....the polarization of people opinions to the point where there is an us and them...divided/fragmented and unable to communicate anymore.....I can look after myself.....but I think I was once one of the worst!
extra respect for being in the Hall of shame....anyone who knows me , knows that I work and live outside the system.....will never be in the HoF , as I choose not to be!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 4:02pm

Have a cup of tea with your fruitcake Hutchy here's a good article
https://www.swellnet.com/news/swellnet-dispatch/2016/09/14/what-i-have-l...