indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming started the topic in Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 4:24pm

This one deserves a thread.

Has started http://www.aspworldtour.com/events/2014/mct/674/j-bay-open

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Thursday, 17 Jul 2014 at 5:49pm

Na never seen it. Wedensday, Oyster Bay

Don't know what donweathers on about, some of the best surfing I've seen there was goofys, it's a performance wave backhand or forehand 3ft to 12 ft. Fuck talking about it just makes me want activate that kickstart account.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 17 Jul 2014 at 6:29pm

I've heard Occy did alright out there.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 18 Jul 2014 at 8:44am

Blowin wrote:

I've heard Occy did alright out there.

Who?

Saturday's forecast has been seriously ramped up now with the ASP calling for "solid swell in the double overhead range, with sets pushing triple overhead (15-foot-plus faces) certainly not out of the question."

Gonna be good viewing, both on the webby and live (eh Mick?)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 18 Jul 2014 at 9:18am

Occy : Former world champ with a predisposition towards a ten piece chicken pack ( make sure it's not all wings ! ) and a brace of brown bottles on the lounge in front of wheel of fortune. I've heard he did ok at Jeffrey's , just to put a bit of perspective on the Goofys historical capabilities out there.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 18 Jul 2014 at 9:48am

Oooooooh......THAT Occy.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 18 Jul 2014 at 6:10pm

ASP site says possible noon start !

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Friday, 18 Jul 2014 at 7:25pm

Speaking of the Occ. When's the Curren/Occ legends heat scheduled? Is it during the break between the semi's and final? Be great if they get big solid jbay.

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Friday, 18 Jul 2014 at 7:29pm

Really still only 3 foot, won't be on. They can't run it not with the best day being tomorrow. Stu got an invite to watch finals at Cherons on the point at Supers. Will surf bone yards early though. Got a 7'7 if it gets nasty

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Friday, 18 Jul 2014 at 8:02pm

Why the feck would they run it this afternoon? I agree MF, tomorrow is THE day. Are they worried about winds tomorrow afternoon or something?

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 7:24am
mick-free wrote:
Really still only 3 foot, won't be on. They can't run it not with the best day being tomorrow. Stu got an invite to watch finals at Cherons on the point at Supers. Will surf bone yards early though. Got a 7'7 if it gets nasty[/iquote]
Be careful young **** . ******* been known to eat young boys like you
mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Friday, 18 Jul 2014 at 8:57pm

All forecasts are the same Don super strong offshores all day. I reckon be game on at 8am with occy v curren (who will murder the occstar) with approx 3pm finish. Still room for 35mins heats as no jet ski assist allowed. There was some talk here that maybe it will be too big for supers and cause a wash through. But on other hand others saying too much west won't get in. I'm with Craig's forecast 6-8.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 8:30am

I don't want to pre-empt anything, but if today lives up to the forecast, it's going to be Epic!!

Stu, bit of hype around the swell, be ineterested to see if there's a spike in viewer numbers.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 8:36am

Yep, gonna keep a close eye on that. Will be very interesting to see how many viewers turn up.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 9:15am

Incredible forecast turn around,from doom and gloom a week ago to hopefully all time..bring it on,.cant wait!

wally's picture
wally's picture
wally Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 9:22am

For the first time in my life, I am going to an ASP watching party.
ASP watching is something I have always done at home, by myself, on the internet.
Most of my friends like the beach, but are not board riders. I never talk about the ASP, though I will occasionally email a link to a surfing video of exceptional interest.

But the possibility of an epic swell, AT JBAY, ON A SATURDAY has got the boys fired up.
A gathering has all been organised without my input. All the non-board riders. Frothing!
A group of generally sport interested people meeting for an ASP watching barbecue.
This is a new experience for me.
Of course, we are just a bunch of aussies, so this is not the tipping point that will save pro surfing.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 9:34am

It won't be the tipping point that saves pro surfing, but it may well be an epic day. Shame Jordy isn't still in the event. 

Enjoy it Wal...

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 9:48am

Hey Wally,let us know what the general consensus is,if they thought it was worth watching or complete yawn.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 10:09am

Wally, don't forget to bring a plate;)

Bob's 2 Bob's's picture
Bob's 2 Bob's's picture
Bob's 2 Bob's Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 1:42pm

like you Wally i will watch with mates ASP events -- I go to the pub and watch with heaps of crew on Fuel - it's fun - Ill be there soon, beer, steak and chips, mates, j'bay live, on on another screen will watch live NRL.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 1:48pm

All tasks accomplished - check, beers in fridge - check, nibbles bought and ready to be eaten - check, anticipation levels rising steadily - check .

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 2:00pm

Mailed all cheques- check.

Bob's 2 Bob's's picture
Bob's 2 Bob's's picture
Bob's 2 Bob's Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 2:11pm

Actually Wally, I like it! Australians watching some sport and cheering on Australians who actually do well on the global stage. I think 5 of the final 12 are Aussies. High five positives all round.

ringmaster's picture
ringmaster's picture
ringmaster Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 2:22pm

Hope all these outrageous forecasts are on the money blokes! Cold onshore day in S/W Vicco today and I've told wifey the TV is mine from about 4pm for some beer consumption while watching (hopefully) some 10 foot plus offshore J Bay on FUEL. PLEASE don't be a hoax!!!!!!!

woohcs's picture
woohcs's picture
woohcs Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 3:29pm

surely got run today...the live feed now looks pretty damn good

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 3:30pm

Looks about 4-6ft sets on the cam at this stage, and high tide. 7.27am in JayBay. But just saw a 8ft bomb come through.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 3:42pm

For those not watching the morning show. Heats of 35min will start at 8am (4pm EST). Occy vs Curren between the qtrs and semis. Looks epic too.

woohcs's picture
woohcs's picture
woohcs Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 4:21pm

First heat, great waves...and it might be just me ,but their boards look alittle small?

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 4:32pm

Seems like such a waste of waves with what they're letting go. Taj looked like he was taking a bit bigger board woo. Think Kerrsy's is undersized though. So far I think Kerrsy has focused too much on the tube, (all or nothing) and missed out on quite a few points from big turns. Would be very tricky out there though.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 5:19pm

C'mon Taj...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 5:19pm

C'mon Taj...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 5:31pm

I'm calling they're juicing Medina for the win. At least so far in his round five heat. But like Donweather said , the naturals are laughing today.

woohcs's picture
woohcs's picture
woohcs Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 5:36pm

cj looks abit off his game atm...won't need 'juice' it for Gabby

matt123's picture
matt123's picture
matt123 Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 5:58pm

Fanning must of got on his knees again, the hell was that a 7.5.

woohcs's picture
woohcs's picture
woohcs Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 6:15pm

tactical move by Mick...hit the beach and change boards, leaving the only guy to put shark repellent graphics on his board in the line up alone...all alone...

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 6:17pm
matt123 wrote:

U mean after Medina ... a 5.0 for what three turns and a bodged toob ...

Mick's an easy 7.5 after that ... more on rail committed turns, longer wave, and didn't fall off !!!

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 6:19pm
woohcs wrote:

tactical move by Mick...hit the beach and change boards, leaving the only guy to put shark repellent graphics on his board in the line up alone...all alone...

Yeah, what a mind fcuk ...

Plus, open choice of waves, and what's freddy take ???

Mick Parko Final?

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 6:20pm

Owen to smash Medina ... Gee, I hope, I really really hope ...

woohcs's picture
woohcs's picture
woohcs Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 6:33pm

Mick looked pretty relaxed in that heat, ramping up for later surfs...woulda like a bit more from freddy tho...oh..and ...go parko!

matt123's picture
matt123's picture
matt123 Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 6:53pm
wingnut2443 wrote:
matt123 wrote:

U mean after Medina ... a 5.0 for what three turns and a bodged toob ...

Mick's an easy 7.5 after that ... more on rail committed turns, longer wave, and didn't fall off !!!

And what about Taj only getting a 7 on the bomb of the day so far? should have been a 10 if fanning got a 7.5

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 7:03pm

Not sure Taj did as many top to bottom turns ... ???

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 7:08pm
matt123 wrote:

And what about Taj only getting a 7 on the bomb of the day so far? should have been a 10 if fanning got a 7.5

As much as I agree, judges will say 'different heat, different scale'.

woohcs's picture
woohcs's picture
woohcs Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 7:08pm

Gotta luv the commentary...wilkos wave, "starts on a bumpy wave here, lots of chop, makes his way around... on one of the cleanest sets of the day!"

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 7:10pm

When they put their board adverts up I wish they would give a height and weight of the surfer to help us gauge their choice.

Bob's 2 Bob's's picture
Bob's 2 Bob's's picture
Bob's 2 Bob's Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 7:11pm

I wonder if Tony Ty Carson from Big Island is watching?

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 7:13pm
woohcs wrote:

Gotta luv the commentary...wilkos wave, "starts on a bumpy wave here, lots of chop, makes his way around... on one of the cleanest sets of the day!"

Yeah, I sorted keep thinking it would be good to have a Roy and HG simulcast ...

Bob's 2 Bob's's picture
Bob's 2 Bob's's picture
Bob's 2 Bob's Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 7:25pm

Heaps of crew watching Fuel at Bells Beach Hotel - I'll be back there in an hour!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 7:28pm

Wow, Taj's last wave was incredible!! Some solid turns on the inside section.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 7:29pm

Power carves and layback snaps ......yeh !
Nice gesture from Freddy P to give the grom his board...........could of left the fins in for him.
First time ive seen a pros board with a 3/4 deck patch .

woohcs's picture
woohcs's picture
woohcs Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 7:33pm

Wingnut...roy and HG...now theres a theory that could revive the ASP! geez they'd work the poo stance!

lostdog...been thinkin the same, but I'd assume a pros choice of board would differ greatly from my older aged, non flexible, beer bellied physique!...Parko said he was riding a 6'2", looked at least 6' taller than him? parko 5'8"?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 7:44pm

Go Taj, ..... Oh well - Go Parko ! Yeah it was incredible how long that 6'2" looked for Parko.