wave of the day

udo's picture
udo started the topic in Sunday, 7 Apr 2013 at 3:51pm

todays wave of the day - nice pic.....and i have a sneaky suspicion that its really a left ? correct ?

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 at 7:46am

A picture of some circus performer with logo fluffers and flag waving numbskulls in tow shouldn't in a 100 years be considered as WOTD.

Standards are slipping in a race to appease the circus ring masters Swellnet!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 at 8:37am
floyd wrote:

A picture of some circus performer with logo fluffers and flag waving numbskulls in tow shouldn't in a 100 years be considered as WOTD.

Standards are slipping in a race to appease the circus ring masters Swellnet!

I agree with your first sentence.... However the second sentence is pure speculation... I'd question swellnet on their intent.... A shot of Medina surfing would've been the go....

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 at 12:07pm

Mitigating factors:

Yesterday I did (almost) as many k's as the Leyland Brothers while ticking a few Christmas obligations off the list before winding up at a birthday bash for his Highness Benjamin Matson. Today I was hung over, had to pick up kids and transport them back down the South Coast. Didn't have much time. Somewhere in the mix last night I was chatting about Medina's win, saying how great it was, and I really believe that. As did other people in the group. So this morning, hungover and pushed for time, I spied that photo, had a wee rush recalling last night's convo and posted it.

So that's the reason. Normal transmission will resume tomorrow morning...

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 at 12:28pm

Geeeeeez, more excuses than Abbott's front bench!!

Expect to see an empty keg posted tomorrow stu, and not the one ben probably helped empty
last night.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 at 12:32pm

Stu, that's what Alcohol does to ya.
Tell them where to stick it, who gives a fuk, your happy Medina won and I'm the Editor who determines the final content.
There were many waves in that photo;)

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 at 12:40pm

Today 'I was hung over' Stu you didn't go hard enough if you feel o.k. at 12pm tday.
39 th birthday for Ben ?

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 at 12:45pm

I don't know Stu. That's the biggest wave on Swellnet so far. 89 million people have just woken up to surfing world champ and they are coming to a beach near you.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 at 12:59pm

Good on the Brazilian people for taking up surfing - most fun ever .

I just hope they don't surf anywhere near me.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 at 1:02pm

Now they have a world champ another big 'up' in the attitude of Brazzzo surfers worldwide !

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 at 6:17pm

Jeez, one non-surf photo for WOTD and the conspiracy theories start to fly! Personally, I think it's a pivotal moment for pro surfing (whether you love it or hate it) and is worthy of inclusion on a lazy Sunday.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 at 6:43pm

Lazy Sunday ? I was up at 4AM.

Happy Birthday for yesterday (?) legend. Hope there is some birthday waves for you soon.

Not a bad time for a birthdate really. Everyone is primed to party at least.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 at 6:51pm

Thanks for the birthday wishes. Actually I was still up at half five (a little later than normal) following last night's festival of beer - but it's certainly been hard getting out of third gear all day.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 at 6:57pm

'Personally, I think it's a pivotal moment for pro surfing'

First garrett sat, heeled, and rolled over and played dead on command, now this rivetting, pivoting, ludicrous debacle.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 at 7:19pm

Hey!!!!! Uplift!!!!! Keep Harley out of this!!!!! We used to piss against trees together... And roll on dead fish at the beach......
Anyway, I've seen a pig on the scg.... (at 0.36)

I've seen cats at the baseball.....

Even the odd squirrel....

Move on, people.... Nothing to see here...... ;)

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 at 8:05pm

That's fucking impossible!!! That sort of thing, and I quote, 'can only happen in Hawaii' and only at, and I quote, the 'greatest, most emotional and moving spectacle the world has ever seen'... and I quote,'its going nuts'... 'take a breath'... for fuck's sake!

Pipe fucking masters. Please.

'Carry on 'pivoting'.'

'A rollicking, light... well actually, non hearted comedy, where the carry on team...'

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 at 8:34pm

It was a big night in Dee Why Ben!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 at 8:51pm

Uplift, my comment had nothing to do with Pipe Masters. It was a pivotal moment because a Brazilian won the World Title, the first in what's likely to be many, as Australia slowly loses its grip on the top five and Slater (eventually) retires. Could have happened anywhere.

BB - actually we were in Manly!

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 at 9:11pm

Is this new "world champion" (whatever that means) the same person that had a massive dummy spit last year at some circus event cos the points didn't fall his way in a heat?

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 at 10:00pm

'Uplift, my comment had nothing to do with Pipe Masters. It was a pivotal moment because a Brazilian won the World Title, the first in what's likely to be many, as Australia slowly loses its grip on the top five and Slater (eventually) retires. Could have happened anywhere.'

No need to 'explain' amongst the earth shattering, riveting pivoting and carrying on Benjamin, if I could be so formal... (my goodness, cheepers... another pivoting moment?). I think the message, that is, the planet shifting 'pivot(s)', is/are clear enough. Nothing wrong at all with the place, and again I quote, 'going nuts!'

And in keeping with long held tradition, I think that next year... that finally... once and for all... the world... the cosmos... the galaxy...

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 at 11:16pm

Xmas is a time of year, when 'families' come together and celebrate the... Truth. At one stage that infamous Merryweather boardriders champ nicknamed me the 'The Truth'. Again, I never asked to be called 'The Truth', I never asked to be the world's most honest surfer, or the biggest for that matter... I was just minding my own business, and it just happened. Its not my fault.

However, if it means bringing the family, the swillnuts together, bonding them, cementing them, then I can pivot too! I will pivot with the rest of them, the best of them, and tell some 'pivotal' chrissie 'fibs'. I'll even watch endless replays of this absolutely ludicrous video... and 'go nuts' with the 'family'. And screech and squwark how 'pivotal' it all is!!!

http://www.aspworldtour.com/posts/89213/2014-billabong-pipe-masters-quar...

And I'll even break tradition and get totally plastered with the 'family', slugging down ales, celebrating the joy of life by slaughtering a few thousand cells, and crawl the beer soaked floors, pivoting, 'nuts', rivetted to the screen. I'll even share dollops of nicco with swilly and goofball and blinder, well, all the 'family', and screech and yell and squwark... and wave brazzo flags, in the putrid haze and plumes of fake, chrissie smoke. As we watch the worlds most amasing, rivetting pivoting, earth shattering moment together... bonded as one... cemented by chrissie 'fibs'. Bonded by the 'bansai pipeline', the 'glassy bombs', the 'double ups', the 'worlds greatest emotion', reeling away in the background. Just a bunch of good ol' chrissie fibbers, pivoting on and out together!

It will be my sacrifice, my chrissie gift to the 'family'!

'Hark the herald angels sing... glory to the newborn king!!!'

'Take a breath (of nicco) folks... we are in for a big day!

YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MERRRRRRYY XXXMMASSS PIVOTERS!!!!

Am I in the right house...is this the right thread...

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 at 11:42pm

That was a stupendously sick vid link there, Big Lifter. True.

Shatner'sBassoon Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 at 11:43pm

I mean the next one when you scroll down. Fuck a duck a ding dong! Pivoted!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 22 Dec 2014 at 9:14am

I love the truth... Shame I have to cut through 500 words when it only takes 25...... ;)

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Tuesday, 30 Dec 2014 at 12:07pm

Just want to say that today's WOTD is a cracker. Had never been down the SC before, lucked into an overnight stay down there with extended family on the same saturday as one of the best east coast swells of the season hit in late Autumn this year and scored it. had barrel stiffies for weeks afterwards.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Thursday, 1 Jan 2015 at 10:18am

After that recent "pivotal" moment finally ..... now that's a WOTD

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Saturday, 3 Jan 2015 at 11:10am

YES

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Tuesday, 6 Jan 2015 at 9:37am

Love today's pic

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Tuesday, 6 Jan 2015 at 9:55am

Agreed Floyd!

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Wednesday, 7 Jan 2015 at 6:03am

Must be a hassle being a girl surfie, colour matching a surfing outfit with the board. Must be Byron Bay:-)))

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Wednesday, 7 Jan 2015 at 7:19am

That is not a WOTD. Not sure what it is, maybe something on groms? But in a sense it does highlight how seriously under represented woman are here and elsewhere and that's not meant to be a criticism of SW. We just don't get to see a lot of pics of woman ripping which would be great.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 7 Jan 2015 at 7:32am

The lack of female surfers in Swellnet galleries or WOTD is not driven at our end - it's purely a reflection of the imagery that gets sent through. We rarely receive anything with a female riding, but when we do (and if it's good enough) we're always happy to run it.

Also, it's worth noting that WOTD is also a reflection of supply-and-demand. As most of you are aware, the surf's been pretty ordinary for quite some time now - but not just at your local, right around the country. This means we're receiving less images because most shooters aren't bothering to pull out their cameras until the surf improves.

Nevetheless, I actually really like today's image - sure the wave isn't great, but it's a nicely framed shot and Jalessa's demeanour is quite stylish as she's hooking into that turn. 

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 7 Jan 2015 at 10:56am

Personally i think its a breath of fresh air.

niggly's picture
niggly's picture
niggly Wednesday, 7 Jan 2015 at 11:01am

agreed
- but do love most of the wotd shots
nice work sn

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 7 Jan 2015 at 1:07pm

Nice shot.

At risk of highlighting what an out of touch, fashion reject I am - what is she wearing on her top half ?

Vest ? Bolero jacket ?

What purpose does it serve ?

Consider it an act of charity to let me know.

niggly's picture
niggly's picture
niggly Wednesday, 7 Jan 2015 at 1:32pm

ok we need some swell' gonna use BBs mind control steps and hit the beach 0.5 foot sydney summer crowds :)

oh blowin im so bored i actually pondered and then searched your question , was gonna write the vest offhowever have been enlightened into its practical uses.

cropped wetsuit jacket.
, this stylish cropped jacket offers the perfect amount of rash protection and warmth for the spring/summer months. 2mm of top quality neoprene. Exposed zip front at chest. 90% neoprene/10% nylon. Hand wash. Imported.

;)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 7 Jan 2015 at 1:54pm

As the saying goes Niggly, you are indeed a gentleman and a scholar. Cheers.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Wednesday, 7 Jan 2015 at 3:49pm

Niggly, you should consider a job in surf advertising, ask stu if he can get you a shoe in at patagonia.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 7 Jan 2015 at 4:53pm

My Wifey Wifey makes and designs way funkier tops that.
Would you like one Shaun!!

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Wednesday, 7 Jan 2015 at 6:24pm

40 years ago I would have said fuck yeah welly , but I'll leave the showboating to the youngsters. ;-)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 10 Jan 2015 at 9:49am

Nice shot today.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Saturday, 10 Jan 2015 at 5:21pm

ditto

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 10 Jan 2015 at 6:29pm

Yep, almost makes me want to visit the Goldy.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 17 Jan 2015 at 8:18am

WOTD has sunken to a new low, really !! A monk with hard on looking at the surf??

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 17 Jan 2015 at 8:36am

Thanks Shaun. I'll take the criticism aboard, same as with everything else you write.

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Saturday, 17 Jan 2015 at 9:37am

He's a bloody idiot isn't he Stu, mind in the gutter. no sense of decency or humour.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 17 Jan 2015 at 9:47am

Ahh good old shaun the sheep up to his old tricks..... They made a movie about shaun... The dawg even got a cameo role.... You'll see morris in the credits too if you rent the dvd ... "Best boy grip"....

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Saturday, 17 Jan 2015 at 3:22pm

I think I know what that monk is thinking ... one descent seto and I'm out there

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Monday, 2 Mar 2015 at 10:39am

One of the best pics ever for WOTD, Love it.

Just checked out his webpage .... slurpee waves

Also his surfing portfolios, gee, the guy is talented, has worked with wolfgang bloch also!

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 2 Mar 2015 at 10:42am

I put this thread up 4-5 days ago Floyd, Slurpee Waves of Nantucket..?????
Thought more of you guys would've caught on and had a good look.
IMO they are amazing looking waves and great real time photos.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Tuesday, 28 Apr 2015 at 3:54pm

Great wave.

Nice reference to The Doors also